Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Austrian 28 guage SxS Bore Gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Austrian 28 guage SxS Bore Gun [Re: DarylS]
      #108233 - 27/06/08 01:54 AM

Daryl-

It's always good to see what you have to say on these nice old bore rifles.

David, Daryl is a great resource for shooting/loading for blackpowder guns (and much more!) and he shoots/competes/hunts with big bore roundball rifles, he definitely walks the talk.

I shoot *only* black powder in my bore rifles. It's what they were made for, it's what gets the best performance out of them, and with proper loading, wadding material, and lubrication, you do not need to swab between each shot.

I have experimented with numerous different types of blackpowder patch and wad lube, and have found quite a few different products and recipes that leave the residue moist and soft, perfect prep for a second shot.

Also, real blackpowder residue is very easy to clean, no special chemicals are needed, water is all you need to get the bores clean. From there oil the bores to preserve them as you do with your other firearms and store in a safe place till it's time to shoot again - then clean the oil from the bores, swab them with a patch lubed with your blackpowder lube before you go hunting, and it's ready for action again.

Another pitch for the use of blackpowder in this particular rifle is around the issue of regulation.
As you probably know, double rifles are sensitive to load weight and velocity, as well as internal ballistics - the way the propellant burns.
This rifle was regulated to shoot a load that'll weigh a lot more than a smokeless load.
The blackpowder, cards, wads, lube, and roundball together will weigh a lot more than the lightweight smokeless charge and associated wad column.
As Daryl noted, velocities will also likely differ, and while working in load development, pressures can spike quickly when dealing with smokeless powders. A little mistake can cost yoo at the very least your barrels, possibly your hands, eyes, or even much worse.
Those are damascus barrels, beautiful ones.
It'd be a shame to ring, bulge, or blow them.
Further, that rifle will only show it's true character when it's burning charcoal.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dherr
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/08
Loc: PA, USA
Re: Austrian 28 guage SxS Bore Gun [Re: tinker]
      #108257 - 27/06/08 10:29 AM

OK guys, you have talked me into it. I will do my explorations with BP. I have a little old ladel with calibration settings for shot and drams. I assume I can use that for the bulk powder loads? I will get to it this weekend after I return from a local gun show. I will let you know my results.
All things are possible if you believe,
Dave

dherr
.224 member

Re: Austrian 28 guage SxS Bore Gun [Re: dherr]
      #108258 - 27/06/08 10:40 AM

So you guys are suggesting I use a patch around the round ball as if I was loading it from the muzzle, only push it into the case iif I can right?
Dave

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#108259 - 27/06/08 10:42 AM

David-

Way to go!
I make my own overpowder cards and wads.
The cards I make from milk carton material, the wads I cut from saddle felt.
I cut my cartridge wads and cards with simple arch punches or modified hole saws (teeth ground off, edge sharpened, cutting surface square to cylinder of the hole saw)
These can also be easily be bought from track of the wolf.
You will also need to buy or make some wad lube.

On patching roundball for cartridge use, I don't do that myself. I shoot roundball of groove diameter or very slightly larger in diameter.
I make sure my card/wad column is tight for as good a gas seal I can get.

Once you get this rifle running properly with blackpowder you'll be hooked.

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #108262 - 27/06/08 10:59 AM

Quote:

So you guys are suggesting I use a patch around the round ball as if I was loading it from the muzzle, only push it into the case iif I can right?
Dave

I don't believe that is how the gun was to be loaded originally. I would use a ball at or several thousandths over groove diameter but if I had a ball at bore diameter I'd try that too. Put in your black then an over powder card. Then a fiber or felt wad preferably soaked in Wonder lube or other black powder lubricant. Add more cards or wads to take up space. You can roll crimp or partially star crimp, then bang away.
What did the nitro loads do?
What diameter projectiles do you have?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

dherr
.224 member

Re: Austrian 28 guage SxS Bore Gun [Re: gatsby]
      #108269 - 27/06/08 12:19 PM

I have 330 gr paradox style bullet at .560
Round balls at .560 and .552
Seems like everyone feels I should use round with twist of 1/94

With 13 gr green dot and paradox, I was shooting 3" l&r at 50 yards w/o any keyholing
Can I just use the adjustable ladel for BP measure in drams? How many to start?

Dave

Edited by dherr (27/06/08 12:25 PM)

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #108272 - 27/06/08 12:58 PM

I would think between 1 and 2 drams (28 to 56 gr)ff or fff Swiss brand black and the .560 round ball and see what happens.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#108277 - 27/06/08 01:19 PM

David-

In a conversation with Lewis Drake a couple of years ago on the topic of getting regulation loads together for blackpowder roundball double rifles, his simple advice was...

'start with xDrams of powder, keep adding powder till the barrels shoot together'

It's a good rule of thumb, and I think Gatsby's advice of a 1Dram sarting load is a good first try.

Here's a link to a conversation I had with some of the guys here a couple years ago when I got my second 16b double rifle.
Link to 16b rifle thread

It might take a bit of experimentation on your part, and it might also take getting balls of groove diameter.
What is the groove diameter of your rifle?

Also, if you're going to star or roll crimp your cases, make sure you start with cases trimmed for your chambers.
My sense is that properly loaded, you won't need a crimp. In the case you end up with balls near the end of the case, simply seal them with a little melted beeswax.

I use Goex FFg with great success.
I've tried other brands of blackpowder, but I find that the Goex burns clean and performs well in my rifles.
If you can't find Swiss, go with the Goex and see how things turn out for you.

--Tinker

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9930

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com