Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Yukon Wood Bison #3

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
Yukon Wood Bison #3
      #98773 - 09/03/08 03:46 AM

Man, now I know how those guys addicted to cape buffalo feel!

I just got back to Egypt from two weeks in Utah, a week in the Yukon bush after Bison and another week and a half of fishing up there. All in all, after the last five weeks and having now returned to the Cairo haze and traffic, I think it is time for this old boy to retire to a life of leisurely sporting pursuits.

I arrived in Whitehorse on a weekend and immediately checked into my favorite youth hostel (YES, I am a cheap bastard so I can afford more hunting trips). There were lots of Asians looking for the northern lights, the occasional German musher, and the usual hippies on their way to Alaska staying there. It was all but guaranteed I was the only resident of the Beez Kneez Backpackers Hostel on his way to whack stuff. Anyway, the people are nice there, the coffee is hot and the beds are warm so it worked out fine. My outfitter, Tim Mervyn of Mervyn's Yukon Outfitters, and I had already spoken at the FNAWS conference in Utah about me coming up again and the logistics of making the necessary license arrangements. Once I got permission from "she who must be obeyed", Tim and I headed out into the bush two days after I hit Whitehorse.

On the way in we encountered a bunch of guys who had taken a young bull that very day and who had also apparently spooked the hell outta the herd we were going in there after. Consequently, this became a heck of a hunt with us getting little more than short looks at the ass end of bison for a few days. On day four we cut tracks from a completely separate group and hiked up to them a little more than half a kilometer off our current path.

There is no driving up to these things! This ain't no ranch hunt! Previous animals we had bumped either ran at the sound of the ski-doo or at the sound of the engine cutting out. We were spending probably 6-8 hours per day on the ski-doos or glassing valleys and mountainsides. I like to think of this trip as a winter elk hunt where the elk weigh 2400 pounds. In any case, having found a group of animals, we stalked in slowly and where I saw one bull, the taller Tim Mervyn made out three...no four....no five! We made our way slowly to a higher position to properly assess the animals and agreed that the middle of the five was the largest and lead animal. We were clearly correct as after a .416 diameter Barnes bullet knocked out both the beast's front shoulders, the other bulls had no idea what to do or where to go. They were looking for guidence where there was none to be had. The bull had taken little more than a step and just layed down on his chest.

Here's where things got interesting. Both Tim and I thought the bull was done for until we were about 60 yards away with four other bulls looking at us and their fallen friend. Those other bulls truly knew something we didn't though as their buddy then stood right up and tried to make a break for it! Fortunately, a flurry of shooting from both my .416 and Tim's .338 put him right down again. Honestly, it was not my best shooting performance this day and I learned a valuable lesson...always plan to take twice as much ammo as you think you need, and then double that amount actually in your pockets! While the mature bull may have been on his last legs from the first shot, or the volley of rounds when he stood, I put three more into the vitals just to be sure. Anyone else remember the trapper in the NWT who was killed by a wounded wood bison a few years ago? I do and consequently decided that ammo is cheap relative to medical evacuation and stitches. It was finally over when the mature bull slowly rolled onto his side and his friends, apparently acknowledging the end of the episode, sauntered off into the bush. It took us about four hours to skin and butcher the prehistoric looking creature and most of the next day to shuttle meat, gear, and hide back from the cabin and kill site to the vehicle.

In short, this was another absolutely amazing hunt with Tim Mervyn that I'll try to write about and publish in a more eloquent form at some point in the future. I figure a ranch hunt for bison in the lower 48 takes a maximum of four hours from start to finish. This hunt took us four days and was every bit of 24 times (if not 2400 times) the experience. I wholeheartedly recommend this hunt to anyone!

Best Regards,

John

Edited by JohnTheGreek (27/03/08 06:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #98785 - 09/03/08 05:44 AM

Thanks for the great report, and absolutely super pic's, John!!

From Cairo to the Yukon...

Now that's a step from one world to the next!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #98789 - 09/03/08 06:49 AM

John

Excellent, thanks for posting !

Antlers
.275 member

Reged: 27/01/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #98792 - 09/03/08 08:14 AM

JohnTheGreek, I sent you a PM.

--------------------
Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Nickudu
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: Antlers]
      #98810 - 09/03/08 01:39 PM

Fantastic! Congratulations John.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #98811 - 09/03/08 02:23 PM

Way to go! Man, it looks cooooollllldddddd!

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #98815 - 09/03/08 05:19 PM

Nice, John, good work!!

Doesn't look cold to me, looks quite pleasant...can't wait to get back decent weather like that...it would be cold if his beard was covered in ice and frost...now that is cold.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: DoubleD]
      #98819 - 09/03/08 07:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words, all! Happily, the Yukon offered quite pleasant weather while I was there. In fact, they were having a heat wave with temps ranging from -4 down to -10 Celcius. Two weeks prior to my arrival, they were stuck at -40. My outfitter has had buff on the ground in temps like that but I obviously prefer things to be a bit more comfortable. On this trip, all my heavy wool Filson gear was too warm for just standing around and certainly too toasty for stalking. I was nice and comfortable riding around on the ski-doo though even with the occasional snow we had falling. I've taken three bulls with Tim Mervyn now ( www.yukonsheep.com ) and the hunts just keep getting better and better. All my bulls have at least green scored over the B&C minimum but I think I would happily hunt cows or even youngsters for the delicious meat if it meant I could take more of these trips into the bush. The addiction continues as I have already told Tim to count on me again in January 2011.

Best,

John

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Re: Yukon Wood Bison #3 ---- WITH PHOTOS ! [Re: DoubleD]
      #98887 - 10/03/08 08:50 AM

Quote:

it would be cold if his beard was covered in ice and frost...now that is cold.

The below photograph is from my 2005 hunt and I don't think it was less than -5 Farenheit. It's funny how you get used to cold. I was wearing shorts and and t-shirt hauling wood this year at just a bit below freezing because it had "warmed up" while I was fishing. It's a bit like how people here in Cairo tolerate heat like I never could. You should see people bundle up in Egypt though when the temps hit 65 degrees F or below. On these days, I have literally seen little kids in mittens and puffy down coats.

Edited by JohnTheGreek (27/03/08 06:36 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2999

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com