Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
deerhunter
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Clearing US customs on transit to Canada
      #83336 - 01/08/07 12:52 AM

I am travelling with two friends to Canada to hunt Moose, Black bear, Mule deer & Wolf.
We are flying Brisbane/LA/Vancouver and reverse on return. For our connecting flight at LA we must transfer from international to domestic and pass through customs. We have approved 6NIA ATF forms and Alaskan Hunting licenses.

Does anyone know if we will clear customs with our firearms and be able to continue our journey to Canada?

--------------------
Australian Deer Association

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada [Re: deerhunter]
      #83860 - 11/08/07 05:44 AM

Your outfitter should be helping you with that.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #83868 - 11/08/07 12:28 PM

Whe you arrive and clear U.S. Customs in LA simply present your ATF form 6 to the Customs Officer when you arrive. They may or may not ask to see you guns. Then you will recheck your bags for your out bound flight.

Nothing to it.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #83892 - 12/08/07 01:49 AM

there was actually an article on this in a magazine I read this week on what it takes to clear US customs--I will check for it and get back to you by tomorrow..

But I agree with the above--your outfitter should be your source of reference for this---

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

deerhunter
.224 member

Re: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada [Re: Ripp]
      #83915 - 12/08/07 10:37 AM

Thanks guys...
No help from Outfitter. Most of thier clients are American, so no issue.

Ripp, let us know what the latest is....

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#83946 - 12/08/07 11:05 PM

SO this is the story--in the September 2007 issue of Sports Afield magazine there is an article on Traveling to foreign countries --is also has a side bar in stating what travelers have to do when visiting or traveling through the US..I am going to attempt to type the article for your review--

US Gun Import Rules
Most American hunters have no idea what foreign hunters who come here to hunt have to do in order to bring their own rifles. According to the ATF Website, the relevant documents is the ATF Form 6N1A, which must be filled out in duplicate aned submitted to the ATF at least SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS before the scheduled travel. If approved, the ATF issues a permit which the hunter must have with him upon arrival at the border. The foreign hunter will also have to show a copy of a valid hunting license from a US State or evidence that he will be attending a showing event or hunting trade show.

MORE ONEROUS ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR HUNTERS ATTEMPTING TO TRAVEL THROUGH THE USA WITH A FIREARM TO HUNT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY.--FOR EXAMPLE A CANADIAN FLYING FROM MONTREAL TO NEW YORK TO JOHANNESBURG. EVEN IF HE CHECKS HIS RIFLE THROUGH TO JOHANNESBURG, A DSP-61 TEMPORARY IMPORT LICENSE IS REQUIRED FOR THE US LEG OF THE JOURNEY, AND THIS LICENSE CAN ONLY BE APPLIED FOR BY SOMEONE REGISTERED AS AN EXPORTER WITH THE STATE DEPARTMENT. THIS REQUIREMENT MAKES IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT FOR FOREIGN HUNTERS TO TRANSIT THE USA WITH FIREARMS.

This is what was written in the sidebar article..while I can not attest to the accuracy, they are usually accurate in their articles.. I would definitely get on the ATF web site and check this out and possibly reach someone who could confirm and possibly assist in your travels.

Let me know if you want me to help in any way and I will see what I can do--I plan to call my booking agent here in the US to see what he has to say about all of this..

Hope this helps-

Thx

Ripp

--------------------

deerhunter
.224 member

#83950 - 12/08/07 11:45 PM

Thanks Ripp,

Have spoken to Defence (36 phone call) for a DSP-61. No luck, will not give me one, they said back to ATF.

Finally got it escalated within ATF after 15 phone calls and a dozen email with responses copied and pasted from their website. 7 phone calls with the Justice Department and they responded that they have no precedent.
They said speak to Customs & Border protection at LAX where I started with…

Spoke to a lovely lass their and she said as long as you have your 6N1A, US hunting permit and all numbers match should be fine. SHOULD be fine!!! Scares me. Well I will take my firearm and all the paperwork and emails. Hopefully at worse they only take the firearm but let me continue on my journey.

Very sad state of affairs.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#83958 - 13/08/07 01:02 AM

Not sure if it would help or not, but I would make sure you have her name, phone number and extension number if you get in a jam while trying to head through.. this was a suggestion given on another article I read

I will contact my guy tomorrow to find out what he knows--he handles items like this I am sure as he books hunts all over the world--see what he has to say--will let you know...

when you leaving??

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #83959 - 13/08/07 01:24 AM

Deerhunter

Seeing you do have a licence from a US state hopefully it will all work out.

What if they ask you for a airline ticket to Alaska? If so, travelling with Canadian friends by road might be the answer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada [Re: NitroX]
      #83967 - 13/08/07 03:32 AM

What requirements are needed to bring firearms into Canada? Your guide should know this.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

deerhunter
.224 member

#83979 - 13/08/07 08:06 AM

I am leaving 07 September

--------------------

deerhunter
.224 member

Re: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada [Re: DarylS]
      #83980 - 13/08/07 08:07 AM

Daryl,

I have sqaured away BC, it is the transit through US at LAX that is the issue.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #84009 - 14/08/07 12:02 AM

deerhunter - best wishes on your hunt!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #84042 - 15/08/07 12:29 AM

Deerhunter:
From my experience with customs and moving rifles .... it is imperative that you get the name and number of the girl you spoke to and have it with you as well as her supervisors name and extension.... trust me, if there is room for interpretation to the rules, there is room for a F up!

I have missed a flight to SCI in Vegas due to U S customs staff with 4 rifles in tow and I had all the correct paperwork in hand! Customs guys can be real jerks just because they can be and like to be!

I wish you all the best with your travels and certainly with your hunt. The best advice I can offer you is to have those names and numbers with you when you travel and if you have an email trail,,,, print them and carry them with you and on your person not in your luggage or in your cases.

All the best!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

deerhunter
.224 member

Re: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #84060 - 15/08/07 09:20 AM

Thanks Double_Trouble

That sounds like the plan...
Have 6 hours to connencting flight, hopefully this is enough to work it out.

--------------------

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #85034 - 02/09/07 12:20 PM

"I am travelling with two friends to Canada to hunt Moose, Black bear, Mule deer & Wolf.
We are flying Brisbane/LA/Vancouver and reverse on return. For our connecting flight at LA we must transfer from international to domestic and pass through customs. We have approved 6NIA ATF forms and Alaskan Hunting licenses."

Uhhh, Just 1 silly question. Why did you get an Alaskan hunting license when you're going to hunt Canada?

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

TOP_PREDATOR
.224 member

Reged: 03/05/06
Loc: British colony of New Zealand
Re: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada [Re: AkMike]
      #85119 - 04/09/07 07:12 PM

Quote:

"

Uhhh, Just 1 silly question. Why did you get an Alaskan hunting license when you're going to hunt Canada?

I think non-residents need a hunting licence for a US state to import firearms even in transit.

Air New Zealand start non-stop flights Auckland to Vancouver later this year,this would mean flying to New Zealand first but would save transit worries at L.A.X

--------------------
"I have carried out my official duties as long and faithfully as i can,and for the rest I have lived in such a fashion as seemed most agreeable to me...convinced that a good day's shooting is second in point of pleasure to nothing else on earth."

Lord Warwick

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Clearing US customs on transit to Canada [Re: TOP_PREDATOR]
      #85146 - 05/09/07 02:56 AM

I missed the part about AK license to hunt in Canada. Actually you need a U.S. hunting license to get the ATF 6 so you can hunt in the U.S. You need a State Department transit permit (DSP) to go through the country with guns.

Don't have my ITAR handy and I am a bit rusty on it, but Ripp is mostly right. Don't bother with the ATF website for temporary importation for exportation. That is a State department function. ATF truely only has jurisdiction on permanant importation and domestic firearms regulation. Some how they have got control of temporary personal importation for sporting or hunting purposes part and that is good, because their way is simpler. But that applies for temporary use in the US, not Canada.

By the way who ever told you to get an Alaska hunting license so you could get a ATF 6 when you are actually going to Canada gave you some very bad advice. You could end up spending quite a bit money in lost time, civil penalties and shipping to get your guns back after you pay the civil penalty. Misrepresentation of a material fact can enhance the penalty.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3867

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com