Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore
      #379300 - 12/09/23 08:09 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/us/grizzly-bear-mauls-montana-hunter-custer-gallatin-national-forest

Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin National Forest

Grizzly bear may have been shot during encounter with hunter near Big Sky, Montana

By Stephen Sorace Fox News
Published September 10, 2023 11:27am EDT

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: NitroX]
      #379307 - 12/09/23 11:54 PM

Thes bear attackes in Montana seem to be happening more frequently. Or, maybe they are just be reported more often.

--------------------
RB

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: 85lc]
      #379310 - 13/09/23 01:46 AM

Quote:

Thes bear attackes in Montana seem to be happening more frequently. Or, maybe they are just be reported more often.

They happen just about every year.

They are expanding into our area, also. Changing views on handguns for woods workers and camping, etc.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: 9.3x57]
      #379312 - 13/09/23 01:53 AM

It's going to start happening more often here too. The moratorium on killing them will pretty much guarantee this. Emen when there was a grizzly season, there were few grizzly bear hunters and their numbers were becoming alarmingly high in some areas.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: DarylS]
      #379324 - 13/09/23 05:28 AM

Quote:

It's going to start happening more often here too. The moratorium on killing them will pretty much guarantee this. Emen when there was a grizzly season, there were few grizzly bear hunters and their numbers were becoming alarmingly high in some areas.

Daryl, what's your situation there? Here in ID there is no "incidental take" (no mistakes allowed) and basically, no such thing as "stand your ground" such as we even have with human attackers.

You can't kill one for eating your downed elk, and AFAIK they won't give you another elk tag, either.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

#379333 - 13/09/23 03:27 PM

Probably same here. In some areas a rifle shot is a grizzly's dinner bell.
I know bow hunters who have been "shadowed " by a sow griz. with a cub. They packed up and went home.
2 friends of mine, on an elk hunt were sitting on their tree stands at ground level (feet on the ground) while Len bulged in 5 adult G. bears. It was pretty tense while the bears tried to sort out where the bugles had come from. Both "boys" were wearing pretty good camo.
Several of the bears stood up, looking around, then one "huffed" and they all ran past Len. He said he could have touched each with the tip of his longbow. These boys quit bow hunting elk.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#379341 - 13/09/23 11:19 PM

Quote:

I know bow hunters who have been "shadowed " by a sow griz. with a cub. They packed up and went home.
2 friends of mine, on an elk hunt were sitting on their tree stands at ground level (feet on the ground) while Len bulged in 5 adult G. bears. It was pretty tense while the bears tried to sort out where the bugles had come from. Both "boys" were wearing pretty good camo.
Several of the bears stood up, looking around, then one "huffed" and they all ran past Len. He said he could have touched each with the tip of his longbow. These boys quit bow hunting elk.

Same sort of accounts coming out of parts of Montana.

It's going to be interesting in the next few years for sure.

My son is a forester for a timber company and all the guys carry pistols of some sort. He carries a 9mm as do others, some .40's, one a Kel-Tec .22 Mag. All are mulling over the hassle of having to carry a heavy sixgun. And for everyday hiking as they do, a heavy sixgun is simply a pain to carry.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #379354 - 14/09/23 07:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Same sort of accounts coming out of parts of Montana.

It's going to be interesting in the next few years for sure.

My son is a forester for a timber company and all the guys carry pistols of some sort. He carries a 9mm as do others, some .40's, one a Kel-Tec .22 Mag. All are mulling over the hassle of having to carry a heavy sixgun. And for everyday hiking as they do, a heavy sixgun is simply a pain to carry.

I think you are correct with the comment about things being interesting in the next few year. Animal populations that are not kept in check get to a point where the population increase starts to climb rapidly. Without plenty of food about the bears will start on stock, pets and people.

I hope your son and his mates never have to defend themselves against a grizzle but fear they will have to. I have read of a 9mm used in Alaska to take a Grizzle so they will work.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: Rule303]
      #379355 - 14/09/23 08:10 AM

Quote:

I think you are correct with the comment about things being interesting in the next few year. Animal populations that are not kept in check get to a point where the population increase starts to climb rapidly. Without plenty of food about the bears will start on stock, pets and people.

I hope your son and his mates never have to defend themselves against a grizzle but fear they will have to. I have read of a 9mm used in Alaska to take a Grizzle so they will work.

We saw that that scenario play out with wolves. Today we have a season on them but getting their numbers in check has (as was predicted by many outside govt) been far more difficult than the govt said it would be.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379359 - 14/09/23 11:28 AM

Quote:

Coming from a country without large dangerous predators, except Saltwater ctocodiles and they can be avoided, o find such stories amazing. Most people here would wet their panties in fright going anywhere near the bush.

Five bears at once? I thought when adult bears get together they fight? At least any adult male bears.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#379360 - 14/09/23 11:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Coming from a country without large dangerous predators, except Saltwater ctocodiles and they can be avoided, o find such stories amazing. Most people here would wet their panties in fright going anywhere near the bush.

Five bears at once? I thought when adult bears get together they fight? At least any adult male bears.

It's stupid, John.

The whole mentality of our govt agencies is................Agenda 21/Agenda 30 driven.

This poor guy run thru the ringer protecting his kids.

It's insane.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-grizzly-shooting-idUSTRE7877I920110908

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379361 - 14/09/23 11:35 AM

Quote:

That may be Phil Shoemakers account of a grizzly and a 9mm. He shared it with us here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#379362 - 14/09/23 11:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That may be Phil Shoemakers account of a grizzly and a 9mm. He shared it with us here.

You nailed it.

(There could be others, also, of course.)

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379364 - 14/09/23 01:05 PM

That link won't load outside of the USA.

"Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun"
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=338823

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#379373 - 14/09/23 10:33 PM

Quote:

That link won't load outside of the USA.

"Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun"
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=338823

Thanks.

I have no clue how that sort of thing works!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#379377 - 15/09/23 03:11 AM

Loaded for me. My VPN is linked to Seattle.
I thought the 5 adult bears together was odd as well but they came in from different directions. Len thought one might have been a 3 year old.
Had there been a dead elkon the ground, there would have been a ruckus for sure.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#379380 - 15/09/23 06:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, that's who I believe it was.

DarylS
.700 member

#379383 - 15/09/23 11:13 AM

I expect so, Greg.

Dave mentioned, perhaps in jest, the bears likely smelled their sh/! and didn't like it, thus they ran off. He said one walked up to within 10' of him, stopped and looked him over, appearing puzzled, longbow on Dave's lap. Definitely not a fun event.

Rule303
.416 member

#379386 - 16/09/23 07:33 AM

Quote:

I expect so, Greg.

Dave mentioned, perhaps in jest, the bears likely smelled their sh/! and didn't like it, thus they ran off. He said one walked up to within 10' of him, stopped and looked him over, appearing puzzled, longbow on Dave's lap. Definitely not a fun event.

If it was me in that situation then there would have been another shite pile

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379394 - 16/09/23 05:10 PM

Quote:

I thought the 5 adult bears together was odd as well but they came in from different directions. Len thought one might have been a 3 year old.
Had there been a dead elkon the ground, there would have been a ruckus for sure.

I have little experience with bears. Only in the wild in Romania. A large forestry reserve where some seventy brown bears were relocated from the mountain above the city of Brasov, I think the city was. The bears used to wander into town regularly. The mountain and forests literally rise immediately up from very near the old town centre. Some of the mediaeval walls remain.

The forest reserve was a drive out of town. A side road, a walk from the car park gate. Some distance. A long hide.

The bears were attracted to pigs hide and fat fed to them in the clearing below the hide. Over 90 brown bears reportedly at this forest.

I may not remember the sequence properly, have to find previous writings.

Over the time spent at the hide, first some sows and cubs. Funny to watch the cubs. It was clear when something was approaching. Maybe another sow. Later they were nervous again looking into the wind. A brown bear male came into the clearing. Some of the already present bears took off maybe younger males.

Later they were all very nervous, they could small a much larger boar bear. The previous adult male quickly ran off. Later all the other bears cleared off. The little cubs scattered very fast away on the ground. One little fellow scooted up a tree trunk near us at great speed. I think one female stayed. The largest brown strutted into the clearing.

As far as I know no one was armed. Perhaps the accompanying gamekeeper or foresterhad a handgun oncealed? I didn't see one. I did wonder what would happen when the long line spread out through the forest path encountered a bear. My wife was slowest, at the back. The kids in front were out of sight. Bad guiding practice.

So from this limited experience it appeared the males right readily. And run away from alpha males. Maybe these kill cubs as well.

Why I asked about five bears coming in like that, perhaps females and younger males?

They are interesting to observe. I'd love to see the salmon fishing rivers in Alaska with multiple bears.

Tags : "My Journal". #JJHMYJOURNAL #MYJOURNAL

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#379400 - 16/09/23 10:46 PM

Bear are incredible animals. Their movements are very deceiving and in my experience most people really do not understand them at all. They have a sense that they are sluggish or slothful, have no concept of the speed and power of even black bear, with grizzlys off the charts. Experience the absolute exhaustion when a bear outruns an entire pack of hounds ALL DAY thru the mountains, fresh dogs tossed in along the way and yet escapes to run or fight another day or stands and fights a pack or goes up a tree like a squirrel or takes a shot thru the chest, falls from a tree & hits the ground fighting, etc, etc.

I've killed quite a number of black bear and have been on hunts with all that and more and was involved in closeup fight w/ a smallish black bear I've described here before. They are incredible animals.

And...very tasty, too!

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #379418 - 18/09/23 02:56 AM

is there an actual map showing where the grizzly is now in the united states. while being in the rocky mountain states its a natural habitat for him but how far will he go into the southern states? hard to imagine the grizzly in the semi desserts of arizona.
where there ever grizzlys east of the mississippi?
excuse me for so many questions.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: lancaster]
      #379419 - 18/09/23 03:54 AM

I beleive grizzly bears used to live in Arizona and New Mexico as well as northern Mexico. I don't believe grizzy bears existed east of the Mssissippi River, at least since Europeans have been in America. Lewis and Clark are one of the first Europeans to document grizzly bears.

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: 85lc]
      #379427 - 18/09/23 07:14 AM

Some grizzlies used to be prairie animals as some were in the very early 1800's, as discovered by and documented by Lewis and Clark.
With the Westwatd movement of settlers I believe they became forest creatures.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Grizzly bear mauls Montana hunter in Custer Gallatin NatFore [Re: lancaster]
      #379434 - 18/09/23 11:02 AM

Quote:

is there an actual map showing where the grizzly is now in the united states. while being in the rocky mountain states its a natural habitat for him but how far will he go into the southern states? hard to imagine the grizzly in the semi desserts of arizona.
where there ever grizzlys east of the mississippi?
excuse me for so many questions.

US Fish & Wildlife Service "Grizzly bear may be present map updated 6/23/22".

As individuals they may range widely beyond these borders.

[img]https://www.fws.gov/sites/default/files/styles/scale_width_1200/public/2022-06/20220622_GB%20may%20be%20present_website.v2.jpg.webp?itok=qhszVVxJ[/img]

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2838

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com