Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Chasing Bison... On horse and foot...
      #364946 - 27/04/22 04:36 AM

SO, neighbors to the south of our ranch..about 4 miles away.. raise beef but also have about 100 bison.. Friday the bison apparently decided they wanted to go on a journey.. busted through the fences and got onto our property.. Was a complete goat show for about 5 hours on Friday afternoon trying to get them off our property and running through our NEW fences..all during a spring snow storm..

photo0(3)(1) by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Saturday morning I was having a cup of coffee with my wife after being up most of the night checking the last of the heifers for calving, when 2 bison bulls come walking by below our house in the heifer pasture.. Called the neighbors again who come and managed to get one out.. the other went through yet another fence and into our biggest pasture behind the house..

Long story short, after feeding all the cattle I saddled one of my horses and told my wife I was going to see if I can get him off the property.. This is off of my horse..that is him in the distance
20220423_142011 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Four and a half hours later and him going through 5 fences.. he was back in the creek bottom below the house.. By then one of the neighbors hired help was there.. He went into the willows and came out a lot faster with a pissed off buffalo on his heels.. I intervened with the horse so he didn't get trampled.. the buffalo stopped, did a quick bluff charge towards me on my horse and went back into the willows.. I then rode into the willows a bit and out he come, fast after me on the horse. While I managed to get quickly turned around and in the opposite direction, he still got the rear of my horse and lifted up in the air and twisted a bit.. fortunately the horse stayed upright. the buffalo ran back into the willows..I then told the hired help they need to figure out how to get him off my place or I'm shooting him.. Hired man made some calls.. told me to shoot him.. which I did..

The End..

20220423_164625_resized (1) by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (27/04/22 04:41 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: Ripp]
      #364957 - 27/04/22 06:53 AM

Might be best to make hamburger out of that one Ripp!
He'd be pretty wound up, meat would be tough as old boots!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: 93x64mm]
      #364958 - 27/04/22 07:07 AM

Could be tough, smelly, or could be REALLY good!
Best red meat I have EVER eaten, was buffalo.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: DarylS]
      #364963 - 27/04/22 08:54 AM

Amazing story, Ripp.
I rather imagine a buffalo bull like that in a guided hunt would be worth a few Benjamins...
Congrats on your freeby!
Hope the horse is in better shape than your fences!

A week ago I was travelling back from Queensland and overnighted at the Hiway Inn near Daly Waters. Woke up in the morning staring at a bison! There were two of them. Thought I was hallucinating...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: Marrakai]
      #364964 - 27/04/22 10:01 AM

What did you shoot him with, Art?
How many times?

Edited by Ripp (28/04/22 06:06 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #364975 - 27/04/22 09:15 PM

Is he meated up from going through fences?

Lots of meat, a skull and horns and a big rug.

Good little story

And lots of fence damage to repair.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: NitroX]
      #364983 - 28/04/22 05:49 AM

Quote:

Is he meated up from going through fences?

Lots of meat, a skull and horns and a big rug.

Good little story

And lots of fence damage to repair.

YES.. he ran through 5 barbed wire fences.. two of which were jack fences.. he got really tangled in those..

The neighbor is responsible for fixing my fences.. we shall see how that goes..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#364985 - 28/04/22 06:07 AM

Quote:

What did you shoot him with, Art?
How many times?

338RUM..
250gr A-Frames..

Twice..he was in really thick stuff.. had a hard time getting a clear shot.. and I was really pissed off..

Hit him the first shot above his right eye.. went completely through his skull and hit his left shoulder.. also went through that and exited on the back side..

I ran in after the first shot and put one more through the shoulders.. NO MORE chasing my horse for him..

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #365001 - 29/04/22 01:54 AM

Well done Ripp, you're a great white hunter.
While reading your hunt report I thought I was deep into a hunt report from late President Roosevelt; same kind of location, same game, same well-trained stock horse and similar game behavior "always going into the willow" when situation went bad!
If buffalo come back on your farm next, let some mating with your cattle first before shooting them, in case market price for cattle/bison hybrids' meat commands higher market prices than beef.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: Louis]
      #365002 - 29/04/22 02:36 AM

Thanks Art. Surprised the first one didn't dump him.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: Louis]
      #365005 - 29/04/22 06:51 AM

Quote:

Well done Ripp, you're a great white hunter.
While reading your hunt report I thought I was deep into a hunt report from late President Roosevelt; same kind of location, same game, same well-trained stock horse and similar game behavior "always going into the willow" when situation went bad!
If buffalo come back on your farm next, let some mating with your cattle first before shooting them, in case market price for cattle/bison hybrids' meat commands higher market prices than beef.
Louis

THAT was my worry.. the buffalo getting near the cattle.. Buffalo carry a desease called brucellosis.. which can be transmitted to cattle.. this would devastate a herd.. causes the cows to abort their fetus .. so, no, they will not go near the cattle if I can help it.. I have left my 338RUM sitting by the doorway in case there is another escape..

As to Roosevelt, I did mention it to one of my friends.. wonder how long its been since someone chased bison across the hills in that country with a horse??

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #365018 - 29/04/22 02:43 PM

where is the 45-120 sharps when you need it!

how would you characterize the buffalos? wild, semi-wild or close to cattle

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: lancaster]
      #365025 - 29/04/22 05:18 PM

I was thinking, back in early days, riding and shooting/hunting bison from horseback with his or gun. How different was that to Ripp's bison shoot? On horseback evading bison. Pretty cool.

Yes a lever action and cartridge would have rounded it out. Next time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #365041 - 29/04/22 06:58 PM

Thank you for the bison/brucellosis info, Art.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: lancaster]
      #365057 - 29/04/22 11:37 PM

Quote:

where is the 45-120 sharps when you need it!

how would you characterize the buffalos? wild, semi-wild or close to cattle

Depends.. the word I would use most ofter when it comes to bison is very "Unpredictable".. They can be very calm..and suddenly, for whatever reason, something gets them going and its game on..

The one I shot in this story was very wild.. He was bedded down in a small drainage as I come riding around the corner heading up the draw .. first I saw a very nice coyote..who really didn't know what to make of me..an usual sight for them I suppose to see a human on a horse, trying to figure out if I was a threat or not.. I experience similar experiences often from the coyotes and other wildlife, even elk let me get closer than normal on a horse.. especially if I get off before they see me and walk on the off side of the horse..at times I have gotten amazingly close ..

Anyway, once the bison saw me, he jumped up and immediately ran about 50 yards, then turned and faced me.. I was walking towards him on my horse and he turned again and ran about another 100 yards. once again he turned to face me.. saw I was not galloping after him, he ran a good 5 to 600 yards before he turned this time.. I was riding faster on my horse, so was keeping up with him when he stopped to see where I was..then he turned and ran again for a good half mile before stopping to turn and find me.. WE played that game for over 4 hours.. going through creeks, fences, brushy draws, timber, etc.. finally he was exhausted and decided to hold up in the willows.. which lead to his demise..

Most of the bison I have dealt with are NOT close to cattle as to their disposition.. semi-wild at best..many are just plain wild...especially if you are trying to work with them..

Angus bulls are much easier...You can usually move bulls a couple times per day and they will tolerate you.. start pushing them more and they to can get a bit unhappy..

--------------------

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
      #365117 - 01/05/22 12:27 PM

Well done Ripp !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Chasing Bison... On horse and foot... [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #365127 - 02/05/22 01:40 AM

My cousins in Southern Saskatchewan tried raising catallo, hoping the buffalo bull they bought would breed with their Herefords (white faces).
As the seasons changed, they'd get calls from the neighbours "come and get your damn buffalo off my property". With seasons changing, they would just walk through a fence. Seems to me they had one bull and about 6 or 7 cows total.
They all ended up in various "freezers". The 16 sections of ranch land was not big enough to contain the buffalo. The fences were just not up to the task - 3 wire fences only.
Just South of here there is a "ranch" with buffalo and the fences are all at least 8 strands, 7' high, wires close together and have 6' boards standing vertically in the wires every couple feet, along with vertical wires as well. They are substantial fences and seem to work.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#365145 - 02/05/22 07:34 PM

Ripp,

One hears about guys hunting tame farmed bison. Your neighbours might be ranch raised. But sounds like the meanest of the bunch. Ripped and cut by barbed wire would not have improved his mood. In any case it wasn't a proper hunt. It was dealing with a nuisance angry animal. Still some fun.

I can readily see how animals might not associate horse riders with humans. Same was where back if bakkie "hunters" do not shoot from vehicles. In a vehicle a person can get closer than on foot. Not associated with a human threat.

Back to bison. From my limited experience on some 24 bovines, mostly water buffalo, a cape, a banteng, the rest scrub bulls, the scrub bulls are the most aggressive, most likely to charge. Not necessarily as hard to put down as some others. A scrub bull is probably define as a bull born to a domestic cattle herd, or from cattle originally from such a herd, where the bull has probably never been handled by humans. Evidence might be their horns have never been lopped off. Some might say these bills care "tame milk cows". They have never hunted them.

I rate scrub bulls as top bloody exciting hunting. At times. When they come bellowing down the hill looking for ultra violence.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#365146 - 02/05/22 07:38 PM

I want to hunt a wild bison one day, perhaps a mountain one? With my bovine slayer Zabardast, my W.J. Jeffery .450 No. 2 Nitro Express double rifle. On foot and close!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#365147 - 02/05/22 07:52 PM

Quote:

The fences were just not up to the task - 3 wire fences only.

Just South of here there is a "ranch" with buffalo and the fences are all at least 8 strands, 7' high, wires close together and have 6' boards standing vertically in the wires every couple feet, along with vertical wires as well. They are substantial fences and seem to work.

Normal wire single strands fences, a deer can walk through t0it without missing a stride. Non slipping cyclone mesh has to be used.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#365163 - 03/05/22 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The fences were just not up to the task - 3 wire fences only.

Normal wire single strands fences, a deer can walk through t0it without missing a stride. Non slipping cyclone mesh has to be used.

The place that has the bison have 6+ ft fences up..but again, bison will be bison.. and if they decide they want to go they will..

About the only thing I found they can't really harm is a large tractor with heavy duty metal bucket..

The bison I have been around, wild or pen raised, are very unpredictable and powerful..IF they decide to run, move, fight, etc..not a whole lot you can do other than get out of the way.. Normally they can be very docile.. but once agitated, look out..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#365166 - 03/05/22 02:32 AM

Quote:

Ripp,

One hears about guys hunting tame farmed bison. Your neighbours might be ranch raised. But sounds like the meanest of the bunch. Ripped and cut by barbed wire would not have improved his mood. In any case it wasn't a proper hunt. It was dealing with a nuisance angry animal. Still some fun.

I can readily see how animals might not associate horse riders with humans. Same was where back if bakkie "hunters" do not shoot from vehicles. In a vehicle a person can get closer than on foot. Not associated with a human threat.

Back to bison. From my limited experience on some 24 bovines, mostly water buffalo, a cape, a banteng, the rest scrub bulls, the scrub bulls are the most aggressive, most likely to charge. Not necessarily as hard to put down as some others. A scrub bull is probably define as a bull born to a domestic cattle herd, or from cattle originally from such a herd, where the bull has probably never been handled by humans. Evidence might be their horns have never been lopped off. Some might say these bills care "tame milk cows". They have never hunted them.

I rate scrub bulls as top bloody exciting hunting. At times. When they come bellowing down the hill looking for ultra violence.

I hunted one once that was kept in a very large fenced area.. 4000 acres.. bull got out.. owner tried to get the bull back in the pen.. bison attacked his NEW Ford F-350 truck.. Got a call if I want to kill him I can but I needed to be there in 48 hours.. shot him with my bow as he was eating along some trees near a creek.. was a lot of fun.. and sketchy..also remember it was around -30F the morning I killed him..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1689

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com