Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Four rifles for Alaska

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Four rifles for Alaska [Re: 260rem]
      #359453 - 20/12/21 03:18 PM

Quote:

With modern bullets and the sheer variety of them that one calibre can do all but the dangerous game.
I've loaded mine with trailboss and 110gn HP's for small game, even with 110gn semi jacketed pills and that's accurate enough to head shoot small game out to 100m, or won't do excessive damage with a chest shot so it's great for camp meat.
I've got a 130gn woodleigh load that's great out to 500m, although not much past that as the SD starts to take its toll.
I use a 150gn TTSX at a moderate 2800fps for deer and camels along with a 168gn TTSX load I'd be comfortable using on Buff if they weren't coming at me.
I've got a 220gn RN load that's great for close country hunting, it really does it all.

The secret to making it all work is accurate return to zero scope mounts, with the options we have these days you really can be a one gun hunter if you have the right scope and load for whatever type of hunting you might want to do.

So for Alaska if I Waa taking one gun and doing multiple hunts I'd take the 30-06 and use say athe 130gn load in probably a nosler BT with a 5-15x scope for goat or sheep then switch to a 2-7x36 and the 150gn Ttsx for deer/caribou/moose or black bear and load up either the 220gn RN or 168gn TTSX and a 1-4x scope for grizzly, I might even take a 2-7 or fixed 6x with the trail boss loads for grouse or beaver.

How many scopes do you have for this one rifle? Out of interest. What brand scopes? What qd mounts? Thanks.

Might get confusing.

I always try to double check my Mauser M03 when changing barrels and scopes. Just in Saturday put on the .222 barrel and its scope. Test shot it, ok at 25 mm high at 60 paces. Fine for brain shooting at fallow bucks in the paddocks.

Larger calibres and bigger targets, maybe less precise return to aim needed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Four rifles for Alaska [Re: NitroX]
      #359464 - 20/12/21 04:03 PM

With the .375's I've had, every one of them has put different bullet weights into the same basic group at 100yards, or meters.
My old Oberndorf 9.3x62 does the same, and so did the 9.3x57.
The .30/06 doesn't do this, nor does my 6.5x55. Close, but not as close as the larger bores.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #359465 - 20/12/21 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With modern bullets and the sheer variety of them that one calibre can do all but the dangerous game.
I've loaded mine with trailboss and 110gn HP's for small game, even with 110gn semi jacketed pills and that's accurate enough to head shoot small game out to 100m, or won't do excessive damage with a chest shot so it's great for camp meat.
I've got a 130gn woodleigh load that's great out to 500m, although not much past that as the SD starts to take its toll.
I use a 150gn TTSX at a moderate 2800fps for deer and camels along with a 168gn TTSX load I'd be comfortable using on Buff if they weren't coming at me.
I've got a 220gn RN load that's great for close country hunting, it really does it all.

The secret to making it all work is accurate return to zero scope mounts, with the options we have these days you really can be a one gun hunter if you have the right scope and load for whatever type of hunting you might want to do.

So for Alaska if I Waa taking one gun and doing multiple hunts I'd take the 30-06 and use say athe 130gn load in probably a nosler BT with a 5-15x scope for goat or sheep then switch to a 2-7x36 and the 150gn Ttsx for deer/caribou/moose or black bear and load up either the 220gn RN or 168gn TTSX and a 1-4x scope for grizzly, I might even take a 2-7 or fixed 6x with the trail boss loads for grouse or beaver.

How many scopes do you have for this one rifle? Out of interest. What brand scopes? What qd mounts? Thanks.

Might get confusing.

I always try to double check my Mauser M03 when changing barrels and scopes. Just in Saturday put on the .222 barrel and its scope. Test shot it, ok at 25 mm high at 60 paces. Fine for brain shooting at fallow bucks in the paddocks.

Absolute return to zero after barrel and or scope changes is a Blaser thing…….so I guess you’ll never understand it.

Rod

Cheesy grin icon needed

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
      #359474 - 21/12/21 12:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Might get confusing.

Blaser QD mounts, 100% return to zero every time.
I've got 2 barrels for that gun and so far 5 scopes, but that's only because two lots of mounts I ordered from the states ended up getting refund due to covid delays.
The 30-06 currently has two 2-7x36 Kahles scopes and a 1-4 Leupold Spot hog. Ones zeroed for the 150gn TTSX and the 130gn Woodleigh shoots just under a half inch higher. One is zeroed for nothing atm as I pulled the trail boss loads now I've got the 2nd barrel but will be used as a back up or pulled so I can get a Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40mm for it when I'm in more open country.
The 1-4 spot hog is zeroed for the 220gn sierra for close country hunts and pig country.
The other barrel is a 22 hornet that has 2-7x36 Kahles for stalking and a 6-24x Japanese Tasco (for nostalgic reasons) as a spotlighting scope but that will probably get replaced as some nostalgia is best remembered and not relived.
And I have another 2-7x36 Kahles for it, an older one I've had for years that I've developed some trailboss loads for, one at 1450fps and one at 1030fps that makes a great quiet load for bunnies ect around camp.
Interestingly even the 1450fps load sounds a bit quieter to me then even a subsonic 22lr so it's a great plinking load too.

I also have plans for either a NV or thermal scope down the track.

Thats flexibility and now that I write it all down, possibly overkill.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #359477 - 21/12/21 03:52 AM

I have hunted here in MT and around the planet a lot..using a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14---for the better part of 30 years.. sneaking through the woods hunting elk, hunting sheep in the badlands, shooting leopard in Africa and ibex in Kygzstan.. Have never felt the need for a diff scope than what I was using..

I also have a 3-10 Swaro on my .375H&H --all I ever need.. The miliary used a max of 10X scopes for years shooting out to 1000 yards..

I personally feel there is a thing as too much scope.. When at long range schools or in my back yard.. even out ot 1000+ I seldom use anything over 17X... each to their own, just how I do it..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

260rem
.375 member

Re: Four rifles for Alaska [Re: Ripp]
      #359495 - 21/12/21 09:03 AM

I've definitely got a fondness for not over scoping a rifle, I learnt long ago that lack of field of vew and over scope a rifle causes more missed opportunities on game then lack of magnification does.
Spotlighting is the only exception to that rule, and wide open country where shots always exceed 300m.
I find the 2-7 absolutely perfect, even medium sized fame is easy enough to hit at 300m with that power, but in close 2x or even open sights are my preference.
Even when I shot LR goats out to 800m a lot my s ope of choice was a 3.5-10x leupold Mark IV. I tried a 6-20x Mark IV but it was too big when stalking and too much power when shooting at multiple animals.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #359507 - 21/12/21 01:57 PM

I will say--for long range--I personally like this scope above all others at this point. I am sure in this ever evolving world someone has a better mousetrap.. but today, this is my fav.. in particular the reticle with the center dot..

https://www.kahles.at/us/sport/riflescopes/k525i-5-25x56i

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #360619 - 18/01/22 02:26 AM

1) .30-06
2) .375 HH
3) .30-06
4) .375 HH

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Four rifles for Alaska [Re: rigbymauser]
      #360620 - 18/01/22 05:25 AM

Quote:

1) .30-06
2) .375 HH
3) .30-06
4) .375 HH

I quite agree, except a well loaded 9.3x62 could be subbed for the .375 quite nicely.

"When chasing the spotted buck, be prepared to meet a tiger"

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Four rifles for Alaska [Re: DarylS]
      #360624 - 18/01/22 07:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

1) .30-06
2) .375 HH
3) .30-06
4) .375 HH

I quite agree, except a well loaded 9.3x62 could be subbed for the .375 quite nicely.

"When chasing the spotted buck, be prepared to meet a tiger"

Yep..9,3mm will be good. Once a 300grain goes +2300 ft/sec something starts to happen regardless if its a 9,3mm or a 9,5mm.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Four rifles for Alaska [Re: Rod4861]
      #360961 - 24/01/22 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Might get confusing.

Absolute return to zero after barrel and or scope changes is a Blaser thing…….so I guess you’ll never understand it.

Rod

Cheesy grin icon needed

Mauser M03 is probably the same. Except for my .222 I demand precise results. Brain shooting deer. Head shots on rabbits, hares, foxes. Assuming after a barrel and qd scope change it is spot on is not on. I check. Maybe a half inch or not. I do rough checks only sometimes with a rough rest.

Hunting medium game with normal shots never a problem.

The mounts are probably made in the same place anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#360963 - 24/01/22 12:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Might get confusing.

Blaser QD mounts, 100% return to zero every time.
I've got 2 barrels for that gun and so far 5 scopes, but that's only because two lots of mounts I ordered from the states ended up getting refund due to covid delays.
The 30-06 currently has two 2-7x36 Kahles scopes and a 1-4 Leupold Spot hog. Ones zeroed for the 150gn TTSX and the 130gn Woodleigh shoots just under a half inch higher. One is zeroed for nothing atm as I pulled the trail boss loads now I've got the 2nd barrel but will be used as a back up or pulled so I can get a Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40mm for it when I'm in more open country.
The 1-4 spot hog is zeroed for the 220gn sierra for close country hunts and pig country.
The other barrel is a 22 hornet that has 2-7x36 Kahles for stalking and a 6-24x Japanese Tasco (for nostalgic reasons) as a spotlighting scope but that will probably get replaced as some nostalgia is best remembered and not relived.
And I have another 2-7x36 Kahles for it, an older one I've had for years that I've developed some trailboss loads for, one at 1450fps and one at 1030fps that makes a great quiet load for bunnies ect around camp.
Interestingly even the 1450fps load sounds a bit quieter to me then even a subsonic 22lr so it's a great plinking load too.

I also have plans for either a NV or thermal scope down the track.

Thats flexibility and now that I write it all down, possibly overkill.

Interesting idea, multiple qd rings and scopes for different loads. Except many hundreds for the rings and thousands for the scopes.

I have found many times rifles will shoot reasonably with different loads. My Rem 788 .222 was like that. And my Parker Hale M98 .30-06 the same. No need to re-zero.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

260rem
.375 member

#361003 - 24/01/22 11:48 PM

Yes I've got many loads that shoot the same, in the hornet my Vmax load shoots .2 at 50m and the 40gn spear SP shoots, dead on at 50m, but my subsonic and 1500fps loads shoot way lower so it makes sence to have a second scope just for them.
Then with the 30-06 my stalking sxope is a 2-7x36 Kahles, Ut if I want to hunt on open country with long shots then having say a 3.5-18x Swarovski with custom turrets might be the go.
Or if you also want a thermal or NV scope for that rifle as well.

But the number 1 reason I like to have multiple scopes in qd rings on my rifles is if something happens to a scope when away on a trip, I can just swap them over in a second and I ready to go one.
I actually need to find a 1" blaser saddle mount to put my last spare 2-7x36 Kahles in as a backup scope for either the 30-06 or 22 hornet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4132

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com