Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rattlesnakes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Rattlesnakes
      #307231 - 04/11/17 11:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtZJKydB-E

Be careful around brushy draws and ravines guys!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: mckinney]
      #307232 - 04/11/17 11:27 PM

That would be a bad place to step in accidentally.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: Wayne59]
      #307233 - 04/11/17 11:30 PM

Somebody found himself a den

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: Ripp]
      #307249 - 05/11/17 07:30 AM

Never seen so many snakes in one spot before!
Mating season?

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: 93x64mm]
      #307262 - 05/11/17 01:14 PM

Fall den up perhaps. The den up in the winter.

When I was a kid my friends father found one of these snake dens, first time I ever knew there were rattle snakes around-first rattlesnakes I have ever seen. They ran some hogs up to the den and that was the end of the snakes. The hogs went berserk killing and eating them. I never saw a snake strike once. It was fairly cool and the snakes were quite lethargic. Can't remember if it was spring a or fall.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: DoubleD]
      #307276 - 05/11/17 06:36 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Wow, and thank you for sharing McKinney!
Nice of these snakes, to give you a warning that their there.
The one's down here, just scare the shit out of you, when you almost step on them or they just bite you!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: Homer]
      #307285 - 05/11/17 10:40 PM

Looks like some dreams and nightmares I have had. No matter where you step, there are snakes everywhere!!!

And not these kindly baby rattle snakes , joking. But from now on, need to start cutting the grass. Otherwise too hard to walk across paddocks or to the other side of my property through the high grass ... one CAN make lots of thumping noise with your feet and with a walking staff/stick, but if hunting bunnies or hares, you can't do that.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: NitroX]
      #307286 - 05/11/17 10:45 PM

Ha ha watched it to the end. The gopro got knocked off. Ha ha. How long is his hockey stick?

A brown snake cn strike to two thirds of its length. A long handled shovel is needed to deal with a snake safely. Or a shotgun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mckinney
.400 member

#307297 - 06/11/17 01:26 AM

I wouldn't want to run across this on a bird hunt with dogs. Haven't ever encountered a snake while out hunting with a dog so don't know how a dog would behave, but I imagine a bite on the snout would be fatal. Perhaps a hunting dog would smell the snakes and not get too close?

This was filmed in Montana and the weather was apparently pretty warm - maybe April or May? The girl near the end of the video is wearing shorts.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: 93x64mm]
      #307301 - 06/11/17 03:19 AM

Quote:

Never seen so many snakes in one spot before!
Mating season?

Several years ago while pheasant hunting in N central Montana we come across a den like this..they were in a side hill area..we backed up the truck to the area..opened the tailgate and stood in back shooting them with our shotguns..shot dozens and dozens..it is/was quite a sight to see actually...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (06/11/17 06:30 AM)

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
      #307326 - 06/11/17 01:38 PM

Stepped on one once while changing irrigation pipe when I was a kid.Good thing it was muddy and I had rubber boots on. Buried it's head in the mud.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: Wayne59]
      #307327 - 06/11/17 02:22 PM

We used to see water moccasins back in Ontario when I was a kid. I've never seen a rattler here in BC, although we are supposed to have some - in the middle of the Province.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: DarylS]
      #307335 - 06/11/17 08:34 PM

But why do they group together in such a large number? There must be some biological reason?

Hatching from a den's eggs and growing largely in one spot? Doesn't sound logical.

Grouping together for a mass snake orgy? Sounds far more likely.

I really hate snakes. Scare me probably more than anything. Maybe spiders do as well. Especially in my hair or down the back of one's neck.

I would freak if I came across a mass of snakes like that.

The closest I have seen was an old concrete and stone water tank we had underground on a property we used to have in the scrubby land across the ranges in the rain shadow dry lands between the ranges and the Murray River East of here. The water tank was designed to catch run off water and fill and store water from winter or other rains. The inlets were at or below ground level and snakes in hot weather would seek shade and coolness in the large inlets, and slip and fall into the dry tank. Usually all brown snakes. I reckon maybe up to six or so down in there. Us kids used to throw rocks at the horrible creatures.

I think our snakes are much more solitary. I wonder if the purpose of the rattle on the rattle snake is not to warn other creatures but instead to hear, locate and bring together rattle snakes for mating purposes. Or whatever other purpose these groups share/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#307336 - 06/11/17 08:40 PM

Actually that arid property was fun stuff for young kids. Next to the sheep shearing shed was an old settlers stone and mud cottage. It had really low ceilings, and still largely in place, made of sail cloth. Often damaged and hanging down and very dusty. The cottage was next to the sheep yards and the sheep had access to it, probably to be kept dry in during shearing if it was rainy weather.

We used to hunt snakes in it. Behind sheets of iron against its wall and other debris. Always worried if one fell out of the ceiling where they might also be. The snakes used to hunt mice and rats in the cottage, and in and about the shearing shed. Sometimes we used to find brown snakes in the shearing shed as well.

"Aaaaaaaahhhhh Snake!" Jump!

Probably was aged from 3 to 8 or 10 at the time.

My father and uncle sold that property when they were retiring. Another of my grandfather's properties sold off. I miss that "outback" property. Something different to home. A biut of the outback only a 45 minutes or hour drive away.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mckinney
.400 member

#307346 - 07/11/17 01:12 AM

I think the biological reason for massing together is to raise body temperature since they're cold blooded. Maybe this group was just emerging after the winter, or getting out of a cold wind. I've never run across anything like a mass of snakes like that and hope not to! I'm now thinking a warm night in a Whelen lean-to is not a good idea!

Ripp
.577 member

#307348 - 07/11/17 01:29 AM

Quote:

I think the biological reason for massing together is to raise body temperature since they're cold blooded. Maybe this group was just emerging after the winter, or getting out of a cold wind. I've never run across anything like a mass of snakes like that and hope not to! I'm now thinking a warm night in a Whelen lean-to is not a good idea!

CONGRATULATIONS.... YOU are today's winner on snake biology ..

Rattlesnakes often congregate in caves, on ledges of large rock formations, or even in rock crevices to hibernate. They spend the winters in groups because the combined body heat makes for a warmer den.

Have run into them out bow hunting quite often..especially in eastern Montana...went running after a pronghorn one morning trying to head him off, jumped over some sagebrush..as soon as my feet hit I heard the all to familiar sound similar to bacon on a hot pan..spun around, there he was all coiled up..thankfully it was a cool morning so he was not moving very fast.. I tapped him on the head with one of my arrows..that got him pretty fired up.. needless to say he is no longer with us..

Ripp

--------------------

mckinney
.400 member

#307352 - 07/11/17 02:22 AM

You guys must have more rattlers in MT than we do in TX. I have never seen a rattler in the wild anywhere in the state. But we have the Sweetwater, TX "rattlesnake roundup" and others so there must be no shortage of them. I think central Texas and the hill country must be where they are. Then again the state is way overpopulated (with people) compared to Montana and only getting worse.

Ripp
.577 member

#307355 - 07/11/17 03:19 AM

Quote:

You guys must have more rattlers in MT than we do in TX. I have never seen a rattler in the wild anywhere in the state. But we have the Sweetwater, TX "rattlesnake roundup" and others so there must be no shortage of them. I think central Texas and the hill country must be where they are. Then again the state is way overpopulated (with people) compared to Montana and only getting worse.

I was in an area 7 years ago hunting big horn sheep..area called "the breaks" ..bad lands type area...in my total of 10 days being in that area I ran into a rattler at least 4 times...there are thick up there..:) they like the sage brush lower elevation areas most it seems..the area where I bow hunt for elk is at 6700ft --I have hunted there for 25+ years..have never seen one up there however if you drive down the road from there about 5-6 miles..you will find them often...

Same where I live..we are at around 4800-5000 ft--no rattlers..yet, got 6-8 miles west and you will find them...

S&W 44 with shot shells work very well on them...as does a spade..cut the head off and bury it or they will BITE you try to pick it up after you cut it off...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #307360 - 07/11/17 05:23 AM

In NA and the colder areas, all snakes ball up for the winter. Garter snakes also do it. We have a pit beside one of the hydro poles in the yard at the gun range.
Every winter, it is full- about a 2 1/2foot diameter ball of garter snakes. I know for a fact, this has happened every winter in the same place, since 1979 - as with the video of the rattlers, the garter snakes are all sizes, all ages.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: DarylS]
      #307377 - 07/11/17 03:08 PM

Thanks a lot mckinney. Now I’m going to have to go over the property I just bought in Arizona with a fine toothed come to make sure I don’t have any “surprises” waiting for me when I move in at the end of the month.

Edited by SharpsNitro (07/11/17 03:11 PM)

mckinney
.400 member

Re: Rattlesnakes [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #307416 - 08/11/17 01:40 AM

SharpsNitro, It was property shopping (online) for a small bird hunting place just south of the Texas panhandle that got me looking into rattlesnakes. The rolling plains just southeast of the panhandle are 2500-3000 ft elevation, so not encouraged by Ripp's comments on elevation.

In Arizona you'll probably have the Mojave rattlers, nastiest of the lot in terms of venom. I think with reasonable precautions one can eliminate most of the danger. Leather boots, chaps, exercise caution on warm nights etc. I worry about reaching down to pick up quail under sagebrush, but never had a problem yet.

oldhoward
.224 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: texas,usa
      #307418 - 08/11/17 02:50 AM

Hi, there is a camp in Oklahoma the local school send the 5 grade to every year. Across the road from the camp is a rattle snake den. On warm day there are close to 100 snake out on the rocks. There are probably many more but I would not let the children go near the snakes.

Ripp
.577 member

#307419 - 08/11/17 02:51 AM

Quote:

SharpsNitro, It was property shopping (online) for a small bird hunting place just south of the Texas panhandle that got me looking into rattlesnakes. The rolling plains just southeast of the panhandle are 2500-3000 ft elevation, so not encouraged by Ripp's comments on elevation.

In Arizona you'll probably have the Mojave rattlers, nastiest of the lot in terms of venom. I think with reasonable precautions one can eliminate most of the danger. Leather boots, chaps, exercise caution on warm nights etc. I worry about reaching down to pick up quail under sagebrush, but never had a problem yet.

When I am hunting birds in snake country and its hot out, I usually give it a little kick first with my foot to make sure a "helper" is not near by before bending over to pick it up..

Precautions are good..picking up a sheet of plywood so the far side comes up first, away from your body, is another good one..did the near side once and had a very nasty surprise.... he also is no longer with us, but scared the hell out of me ..

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#307421 - 08/11/17 03:19 AM

Quote:

I think with reasonable precautions one can eliminate most of the danger. Leather boots, chaps, exercise caution on warm nights etc.

I guess when I sometimes hunt in highish grass down here barefoot and wearing shorts in summer, that might be a bit of a problem.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
      #307452 - 08/11/17 11:34 AM

moccasins in canada ? must be transplants from fla.shotgun barrel is what i us to prod around birds if one is spotted pull.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5566

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com