Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nunivak Musk Ox

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DavidAk311
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/04
Loc: Alaska
Nunivak Musk Ox
      #28114 - 22/03/05 06:29 AM

Thought I'd share a couple photos from my recent Musk Ox hunt. I had an enjoyable time and took this bull musk ox from about 70yds with my .375 H&H and 270gr Barnes TSX bullets.

dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Nunivak Musk Ox [Re: DavidAk311]
      #28143 - 22/03/05 04:37 PM

Nice! What mount are you planning and what was the bullet's path through the animal? Do you think the musk ox can be taken with a lighter rifle?

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
      #28149 - 22/03/05 06:46 PM

Great job Dave. Still waiting to be drawn for the permit. I put in for the Taylor permit every year. With my permit drawing luck, Hell will look like where you were hunting before I get drawn.

DavidAk311
.224 member

Re: Nunivak Musk Ox [Re: DPhillips]
      #28176 - 23/03/05 02:46 AM

DPhillips-I know what you mean. Sometimes you have to wonder about our permit draw system. I've been really lucky so far.

AT, the first time I went on this hunt was as a non-hunter with a friend who had the permit. He shot his with the 7mm Rem Mag. They are not particularly tough to kill, though their shoulders are pretty large and meaty.

You definitely don't need to use a .375H&H for them. I use this rifle for everything, including deer and caribou, just because I like it and it's ability to cover most any situation in Alaska.

I'm going to have a life size mount made of the animal.

My first shot was through the lungs broadside, and he stumbled around for a few seconds so I gave him another. The second one went into his shoulder, through the chest, and out behind the far shoulder, stopping under the hide.

I got 200lbs of meat off him, and had a good time...

dave

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #28179 - 23/03/05 03:17 AM

Congrats Dave, I'll go back to Alaska for one of this .

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

DavidAk311
.224 member

Re: Nunivak Musk Ox [Re: 470Nitro]
      #28181 - 23/03/05 04:16 AM

Thanks..come on over..

Next week begins 6 straight weeks of bear hunting...might have another pic or two to post after that...

dave

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #28395 - 27/03/05 02:34 AM

Dave,

Congratulations on a fine trophy. Looks too cold for me.

A life sized mount will be very impressive. Man you will have a great trophy room.

I like the look of Musk Ox, I think it was an animal that was hunted in the movie "Clan of the Cave Bear" which is a favourite of mine. Very primitive looking.

If you don't mind can you give us a paragraph or two on the hunt. I have no idea how they are hunted. Ambushed? Shot from long range?

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DavidAk311
.224 member

Re: Nunivak Musk Ox [Re: NitroX]
      #28409 - 27/03/05 07:31 AM

Sure...also, here is a link to Alaska's Dept of Fish and Game musk ox info... http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebook/biggame/muskoxen.php

I drew one of around 45 annual permits to hunt bull musk ox on Nunivak Island, off the coast of Western Alaska. The village consists of around 200 Eskimo natives. I hired an Eskimo transporter to take me out on the hunt. A full-fledged guide can be hired for more money, but isn't really necessary. The difference between the two is that the transporter can take you out on snowmachines, but you have to find/select/stalk/skin/butcher/cape your own animal, whereas the guide will assist in all these activities.

I arrived at the transporter's house in the village of Mekoryuk, on Nunivak, in the afternoon of Day 1, with my brother and our hunting partner. They went along for the hunt, though they were only armed with video cameras. We got settled in, discussed our plans, and did some necessary paperwork.

The next morning we started out on snowmachines, towing freight sleds. The temp was about 0 degrees F or a little colder, though the wind chill was probably around -30. The terrain is lunar, flat and snow-white. About 45 miles south of the village, probably a two hour snowmachine ride, the coastline is broken by some smallish snow-covered sand dunes. We spotted some musk ox there, and snowmachined near the dunes to begin our stalk.

The musk ox group up in a circle when threatened, with all of the adults facing outward to fend off threats. We glassed quietly from about 180yds out, so as not to disturb them. It's too difficult to evaluate each individual, if you bunch them up. Plus, there is a real danger of pass-through shots striking another animal if you aren't careful.

We used the dunes to stalk closer, once I selected the oldest bull of the herd. Unfortunately, when we popped up on top of a dune about 50yds away from them, they had milled around enough that I couldn't immediately tell which animal was the one I wanted. While trying to assess them again, we spooked them and they took off. Apparently, they don't always bunch up...

We rode away from them on the machines, and circled wide to get ahead, thinking we'd let them come to us. It's possible to ride them down on the snowmachines, but that wouldn't really be sporting, would it? We prefered to keep a distance from them when on the machine, and use our feet to approach.

Unfortunately, they saw us out on the snowy plain, and turned back into the dunes. I left my machine and walked to them on foot..a long ways in the snow, wearing all my cold weather gear. My brother and our friend stayed behind with the machines, so as not to spook them.

This time, when I finally got near them again (70yds), I laid down so as not to present a large threat, and glassed a bit. They did bunch up some, kind of like they were waiting to see what I was going to do. It was apparent they were on the verge of running again, but I stayed still and waited until I could recognize the bull I wanted. He remained apart from the others a bit, so I got a good angle on him and shot.

The first shot went in behind the shoulder, but high in the top of the lungs..he staggered a bit as the others ran off, and I shot again through his shoulder. This bullet was recovered during skinning, just inside the hide behind the off-shoulder. The other bullet did not exit, but I never found it inside the animal.

It took over an hour with 3 of us working fast to skin/butcher/cape him. We loaded the meat and hide into the freight sleds and returned to the village. In all, we travelled around 100 miles that day on snowmachine.

Musk ox are not the most challenging animal to hunt, as evidenced by the fact that you can be successful in one day...but the whole experience of location/environment, weather, and a unique animal make it a very enjoyable experience.

dave

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #28422 - 28/03/05 12:40 AM

David

Thanks very much for posting your hunting story.

What I find amazing is without the cape, that musk ox skull is not that different from a cape buffalo in appearance. At keast in the horns. Very different when all wooly.

A very different hunt to anything I have experienced.

Thanks again for the story.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DavidAk311
.224 member

Re: Nunivak Musk Ox [Re: NitroX]
      #28431 - 28/03/05 04:21 AM

No problem...maybe someday I'll get a cape buffalo and take a look for myself how they compare... <grin>

dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3542

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com