Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wild Hogs???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Wild Hogs???
      #279566 - 20/03/16 02:12 AM

Anyone go hog hunting in the southern states? I have always wanted to do this I and recently saw some photos of some very huge hogs that were taken in Southern MO. I have a neighbor who grew up down there and he said they hogs are taking over. He said they were migrating from Arkansas....

--------------------
Longknife

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Wild Hogs??? [Re: Longknife]
      #279569 - 20/03/16 04:27 AM

It's hard to find someone that is actually having a really bad time with hogs, but they are out there.
Now EVERYONE that has wild hogs running around they land says they are having a bad time with them, but common sense proves otherwise.

These land owners come in 2 categories.
#1 is by far the largest of the 2 categories.

I call Catagory #1 into 2 subsections. 1A and 1B.

1A.
These are the people that see the hogs as assets, not a liability. They sell the hunts for good money and the hunters pay it because they are willing to pay the price asked for the meat and the fun of the hunt. These people will not try to lie about how they are on the brink of destruction because of the hogs. They are honest about what they have and what they offer, and they have priced the hunts at the number they think people will pay. If they cost too much people don't pay, and they have to rethink the pricing, but that is what a free market economy is all about anyway.

1B. These are the ones to avoid. They cry "wolf" (or Hog) to all who will listen and beg for someone to come help them, but then want to charge you (usually a lot too) to help them with the problem that is "destroying them".
This is like finding a man stranded on a deserted desert road with a flat tire. You stop to offer help and he then telly you you must pay him to help him change his tire.
Drive away!
leave him there!

You see, doing business with anyone that is making a policy out of lying is always a bad idea.
Never support such people. If they can't be trusted to be honest at the first meeting you will never be able to trust them and such people will always screw over anyone else they can if it means a gain for themselves.

Find someone in Category 1A.

Or if you can find one in category B.

These are the ones that are hard to find, but they do exist.
These are the land owners that REALLY are in trouble with the hogs. Most are not.

If you find one that really is, they will let you hunt for free.

They are like the man that is actually stranded on the deserted road and really wants and needs help. These are the ones I look for 1st because they are in a true need.

Even if I were a wealthy man, and was willing to pay for landowners in Category #1A, I would always go to those in category B first because they truly NEED help and then I would go to a catered hunt from someone in 1A afterwords too, but those that are not in real trouble would come after those that are.

Edited by szihn (20/03/16 04:28 AM)

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: Wild Hogs??? [Re: szihn]
      #279625 - 21/03/16 06:44 AM

I've done a little hog hunting down south, mostly TX but a bit in MO and OK.

The Oklahoma hunt was a bust: the guy (friend of a friend) thought he was about to be overrun by hogs when they gradually expanded their range into his neck of the woods. I circled his ranch, cross-cut it into sections of about 40 acres each, and followed down every waterway, but found only a few--old--tracks. I suspect he just had a hog or two wander through, and panicked when he saw the amount of destruction they did.

The Missouri hunt was just incidental: I was visiting friends when a passing neighbor complained about some pigs that had torn up his truck garden. Since the guy was a market gardener, this was a big deal for him! We quickly put together a hunt, and got a half-dozen adults (biggest was maybe 250# live weight) and 12 or so littler ones between 3 hunters. That weekend we staged a barbecue and party for the "neighborhood", and generally had a blast. Good times.

The Texas hunts were a bit more involved.

One was incidental, a quick hunt at the request of the landowner, heavy brush so I used a pistol. It was a good hunt.

One was a "guided" hunt that was a gift from a then-girlfriend. It has been about a decade, but as I recall I heard the fee was $250/day per person for 2 hunters/1 guide, up to 2 pigs per person per day, with a 2 day minimum booking. That included transportation (if needed) from the airport to the ranch, dressing and cooling the meat, and meals; there was a bunkhouse available to sleep in or pads for RVs.

Due to an emergency they were short a guide; rather than seeing someone's hunt cut short or cancelled, I volunteered. Both of my hunters (a grandfather/granddaughter pair) got one pig over 300# and a couple smaller ones. Hunting was mostly from towers, but I arranged for each of them to get to spend some time on the ground stalking and tracking. They were both fine shots and good sports, it was certainly the most fun I've ever had as a guide.

One hunt was on a ranch in south-central TX, and they had a for-real pig problem. I was working with a biology student studying lung parasites (I think that was it, anyhow--we collected samples of lung tissue and a tooth from each). Had I been trophy hunting and selectively shooting, it would have been no problem to get a good-sized pig every morning and every evening.

All that said, if I were going to try to hunt pigs I'd probably look at TX. Check the DNR for maps showing pig populations by county, then look for a good guided hunt in the areas with high pig populations. Make sure the outfitter has access to large tracts of land (some of the operations down there are working in small areas--I've seen websites indicating some are guiding areas as small as 40 acres!). Some of the outfitters guide for other game, and you might be able to book a hunt for pigs and an exotic or two.

Longknife
.333 member

Re: Wild Hogs??? [Re: Jim_C]
      #279761 - 25/03/16 02:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am researching Texas hog hunts and trying to find a S. Mo land owner that would be willing to let me hunt.....

--------------------
Longknife

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #279773 - 25/03/16 05:02 AM

Have not done much of this in the USA but picked this guy up a few months ago out of the country..

Heading out again and may have another opportunity..will see

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Longknife
.333 member

Re: Wild Hogs??? [Re: Ripp]
      #279779 - 25/03/16 08:08 AM

HOLEY MOLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its HOGZILLA!!! How much did that monster weigh?????

--------------------
Longknife

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #279786 - 25/03/16 10:01 AM

Great use of a head rest!

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #279823 - 25/03/16 10:47 PM

Quote:

HOLEY MOLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its HOGZILLA!!! How much did that monster weigh?????

Not sure how much he weighed..but he was considered very large for the area as my picture was on the front page of the local newspaper the following week describing the story..

We went into town to get more ammo and the store clerks were inquiring as to what ammo I was using..amazing how people get caught up in stuff like that..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #280211 - 03/04/16 08:33 AM

We've taken three off our family lease in NE Texas since November, all sows. The bigger ones were pushing 200 pounds.

Will take another whack at them next week if the weather permits.

Still plenty more where those came from, at least for now. They can move quickly when food and water conditions dictate.

Two of my daughters and a friend with their pigs:

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Wild Hogs??? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #280246 - 03/04/16 09:56 PM

Well done to the girls and friend. Pig hunting is always fun wherever it is done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Wild Hogs??? [Re: NitroX]
      #280255 - 03/04/16 10:46 PM

Thanks. Will try to post more about this year later. Was the first time my youngest was able to be the hunter on several trips and not just along for the ride.

We've seen some decent boars, nothing with really big teeth, but have concentrated on sows for eating and population reduction.

I have this one on the hit list from seeing him on the game cameras, but the only time I saw him in person was hunting with my oldest just before Easter, and I told her a sow would be better for sausage so she took one instead.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Edited by Charles_Helm (03/04/16 10:47 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3242

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com