Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A true trophy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Smoke73
.300 member

Reged: 30/05/11
Loc: Rocky Mtn. House Alberta
Re: A true trophy [Re: Smoke73]
      #209227 - 28/05/12 12:33 AM

Thanks for posting 450 express. Has got me thinking. Hard to get bears to come to bait in daylight but they are often bedded quite close by. Maybe I'll try setting up calling about 300 yrds back on the open pipeline and see if one is looking for fresh meat.

--------------------
Your not tired, you just think your tired, you don't even know what the hell tired is.- Garth Ahlstrom (Thanx Dad love ya)

"When one of them is born, their god says ' Go in peace.'
When one of us is born our Gods say "Go hunting."- J. Emmett Willie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #209235 - 28/05/12 01:05 AM

Quote:

That is the book Nitro. It is a great book. Each chapter is a different story so maybe half hour to hour to get through each story. Absolutely great for hunting camp as no big time committment involved. Of course I read the whole book in a couple nights.

I've purchased a copy.

Good luck on the hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #209247 - 28/05/12 02:58 AM

No baiting here either in BC.

I visited our new 1,000meter range yesterday - saw two young black bears on the side of the highway on the way out, along with a yearling cub at the range. I suspect someone shot his mom as he was alone. He/it appeared to be a runt - quite small for a yearling and too big for this year's cub.

We've called the little guys (including 2 & 3 year old's) 2 footers or mickey mouse - whichever comes to mind at the time.

Was a nice boar we didn't get to see in Mike's area one fall - put down a 7 1/2" front pad track - that's a big black bear. The splits in the rear of his front claws were 3/8" wide at the pad. The claws were a good 1 3/4" to 2" on the curve.

My hunter/s actually didn't want to see him and got quite excited when I started bawling on my fawn in distress call. He thought he would have to pay by the foot, or some such Euro nonsense. They refused to go back to the big bear's domain, so I took them to another area, over a saddle & down into a bottom area of two old slashes connected by a short lush grass patch through the trees. There were grizzly 'piles' all over - up to 15" wide and 6" high- some with hawser 'ropes' 3" in diameter. Figured a 'good' bear in the area. I pulled my call out asked him/them if he'd like to see that one.

Guess they didn't like my jokes! HA! They really complained about that 'encounter' as well as the big black bear track and my calling him - he got a different guide then gut shot the first cub they saw on the road - just a couple miles from camp - at lunch time, the outfitter had to use his Austrian tracking dogs (black and tan) to find track it down, then he killed it.

The poor little bugger suffered for a couple hours. Seems even the little 2 year old cub frightened him into missing, or perhaps he just shook too much, aiming over the truck's hood.

Guess I didn't notice his 'bear distress' when quiding him. I was packing my .458 Alaskan, afterall, 350gr. TSX at 2,450fps. I wasn't the least concerned and he had an ought 6(that also frightened him). I had to check the sights for him as he just didn't shoot well, even in camp. So much for having to meet accuracy requirements to get a licence? Maybe not in some Euro countries?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Smoke73
.300 member

Re: A true trophy [Re: DarylS]
      #209464 - 30/05/12 03:57 AM

A fresh black attack link

Deleted

Read the whole post details and pics on page 5

Try link below

--------------------
Your not tired, you just think your tired, you don't even know what the hell tired is.- Garth Ahlstrom (Thanx Dad love ya)

Edited by Smoke73 (30/05/12 01:32 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #209475 - 30/05/12 06:59 AM

Tried to access that page, Smoke - even tried to register - the mail they sent to me was blank - oh well, I've run out of patience now. BTW - what's the 22nd regiment called - one word? Should I know? Do I care? Airborn? Am I supposed to remember that from the 40's, 50's or perhaps Afghanistan? Sorry - at only 62 my memory is slipping.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Smoke73
.300 member

Re: A true trophy [Re: DarylS]
      #209517 - 30/05/12 01:29 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/s...-alexander.html

Give this a try Canadian gun nutz is slowly goning nutz.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8511

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com