Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Jaguar

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Jaguar
      #12279 - 23/03/04 08:13 PM

I'm talking with a man in Venezuela who offer a Jaguar hunt in his country. I know there're no CITES permit to bring the skin to Europe, but I'm not sure if it's legal to hunt this cat. He talk about "messing tigers" permits, I guess, when a jaguar eat cattle, then it can be hunted.

I'm very interested in this hunt 'cos this is the most beautiful cat and should be a nice hunt into those jungles .

Any experiece out there??

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Jaguar [Re: 470Nitro]
      #12287 - 23/03/04 11:12 PM

They are very beautiful and EXTREMELY powerful animals. I read that they used to be in the American South west.......into Arizona and southern Texas. I am not sure if that is still the case or not. If so I am sure that they are very rare in North America.

The only place I have ever seen them has been in the museum here in Pittsburgh. The size of the forelegs and chest of these cats are simply amazing.

I would be interested to here what you find out about hunting them. Good luck!

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #12292 - 24/03/04 12:07 AM

What a magnificient animal! Up until I saw this picture, I thought the Leopard was the nicest. I've changed my mind now.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #12307 - 24/03/04 05:03 AM

Amongst all the cats the jaguar has the strongest jaw or bite.It can crack open a turtles shell which no other animal can,well perhaps the hyena can do it but i'm not sure.It definately is a beautiful animal.

buckeyeshooter
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: ohio, USA
Re: Jaguar [Re: IronBuck]
      #12319 - 24/03/04 08:04 AM

There was a report that some Jaguars have recrossed the border back into Arizona in the last year. Population is said to be less than 10 animals in the USA.

This would also be my pick on the cat to hunt. It is too bad that there is not a reintroduction plan for them like there is other species like elk, bears or wolves.

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: Jaguar [Re: IronBuck]
      #12323 - 24/03/04 08:17 AM

There're already some darting hunts in Mexico. Last year, somebody took a black jaguar, simply amazing animal.

I think only can be hunted "legaly" in Paraguay and Venezuela.

Nice cat

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #12437 - 25/03/04 05:33 PM

Read a National Geographic article about Jaguars. There was a photo taken by a Arizonia rancher in the 90's of a jaguar on a rock out crop. Great looking cats.

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #12438 - 25/03/04 05:38 PM

Are Wild Jaguars Moving Back Into the U.S.?

John Roach
for National Geographic News
November 26, 2003

In southern Arizona, just north of the U.S.-Mexico border, a heat-sensitive remote surveillance camera was recently triggered by a warm body. But it wasn't an illegal immigrant in search of a job, or a courier in the drug trade. It was a jaguar (Panthera onca).
The photograph, taken on August 7, represents the second time in three years that the big cat has been imaged in the U.S. and it raises an intriguing question: Are jaguars seeking U.S. residency?

Read the full story >>

Several recent sightings of jaguars lead wildlife biologists to believe they may be returning to the U.S. The big cats largely disappeared from their historic range north of the border because of development and hunting pressures.

Photograph courtesy J. Childs, Jaguar Conservation Team, Arizona Game and Fish Department

National Geographic's new television special In Search of the Jaguar airs in the U.S.
Wednesday, 8 p.m., on PBS.

View an In Search of the Jaguar Photo Gallery: Go >>

The southwestern U.S. as far north as the Grand Canyon in Arizona is part of the jaguar's historic range, but since the 1960s sightings of the big cats have occurred at a rate of only about once every ten years.

Wildlife biologists and conservationists believe jaguars largely abandoned the U.S. owing to increased pressure from sprawling development and killing by ranchers seeking to protect their livestock.

"But in last seven years we've had three animals documented here in Arizona, one photographed twice" said Bill Van Pelt, a biologist with the Arizona Game and Fish Department in Phoenix.

In 1996, two hunters independently reported jaguar sightings, which led to development of the Jaguar Conservation Team, a group composed of state wildlife agencies, ranchers, and conservationists interested in the cat's U.S. presence.

"Those two sightings woke a need for some conservation measures, and since then we've been actively looking for them," said Jack Childs, a wildlife researcher in Tucson, Arizona, who sighted one of the jaguars in 1996.

Jaguar Surveillance

One of the first tasks undertaken by the group was setting up the surveillance cameras, which are triggered when they sense the heat of a body. One of the cameras photographed a jaguar in 2001, providing the first photographic proof that the big cats have a presence in the U.S.

According to a comparison of spots on the jaguar's coat, which serve as a sort of fingerprint, Van Pelt said that the jaguar imaged in August of this year appears to be the same animal imaged in 2001.

"Before no one made a concerted effort at monitoring the border for the presence of jaguars," said Van Pelt. "Perhaps what we are doing is documenting that we have an animal that lives here in Arizona. That is the question we are looking at now."

The closest known population of jaguars to the U.S. lies 135 miles (220 kilometers) south of the border in Mexico's Sierra Madre Mountains. The cats spotted in the U.S. are believed to originate from this population.

"It could be that that habitat is saturated and that the animals are now starting to disperse outside of that population," said Van Pelt.

Most of the jaguars spotted in the U.S. since the 1900s have been males, leading some biologists to believe that males from the Mexican population periodically cross into the U.S. seeking to establish a new territory.

Now that the same cat has been imaged twice, Van Pelt and his colleagues are asking the question of whether or not the male has established a territory in southern Arizona.

Childs, who operates the heat-sensitive cameras, said that the conservation team has increased surveillance of the mountainous area where the jaguar was imaged in August but that no additional sightings have been reported.

Recolonization Efforts

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recognizes the jaguar as an endangered species and some conservationists are pushing the government to protect its Arizona habitat, but there are no plans for a jaguar reintroduction effort as was done with gray wolves (Canus lupus) in the 1990s.

A reintroduction effort would require importing wild-caught jaguars from South America to the U.S., but since their habitat and prey base is so different, there is little chance the big cats would survive in the U.S., said Childs.

Alternatively, jaguars from the Mexican population could be brought up to the U.S., but because that population is already endangered, such a move would put the Mexican population in jeopardy.

"But if we can keep our border like it is now, do everything we can, we are hoping they'll colonize on their own as the population increases in Mexico," said Childs. "Maybe those transients will stay up here. Rather than reintroduction, the team is striving for recolonization."

To help achieve this goal, the Jaguar Conservation Team regularly distributes education materials to citizens in Mexico and the U.S. and holds informational seminars in an effort to increase awareness of the jaguars and their potential U.S. home.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Jaguar [Re: Bakes]
      #12458 - 26/03/04 03:20 AM

If enough Jaguars immigrate, the other immigrants may trickle off a bit.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Boghossian
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/04
Re: Jaguar [Re: 475Guy]
      #12570 - 27/03/04 09:01 AM

I have also read about hunts offered in Paraguay. I think the hunt is similar to a US puma hunt with hounds...I would like to try baiting one too!
I saw a woman on natgeo channel radio collar one in Brazil today, first chased it 7hrs and it seriously injured a hound then they caught it on another attempt.
I am certain many jaguars are killed every year in ranches and farms following the international SSS rules (shoot, shovel, shut up)

Minkman
.224 member

Reged: 29/04/04
Loc: NJ USA
Re: Jaguar [Re: Boghossian]
      #16483 - 07/07/04 07:31 PM

All this is great information, but does anyone know what the hunting status is?

Who runs the darting hunts and how to contact them?

Are there any outfitters currently offering Jaguar hunts?

What is the current CITES status? I couldn't get the link this morning.

juanpozzi
.224 member

Reged: 26/08/04
Re: Jaguar [Re: Boghossian]
      #19059 - 07/09/04 01:12 PM

im a ph from argentina and we organize some hunts in bolivia and paraguay severals years ago a jaguar killed a man he eated the brain and was killed by the police i have a photo of this animal,today is osibly to hunt jaguars in some places.juan

jaghunter
.224 member

Reged: 29/09/04
      #19514 - 29/09/04 02:33 AM

I run a safari business in Belize (If you have read any of the great books about hunting jags in central america you will know it as British Honduras). I can get you on a jaguar. If you want to kill one I can give you a depredation hunt, but if you just want pictures I can give you a dart hunt. The depredation hunt will have better odds because of the naturally killed bait, but the other method is very exciting. It involves traveling the rivers and streams calling for them and then using dogs to get them cornered. We use dogs for both hunts. If you kill one I am sure there is no way to take the hide with you unless you know some officials I dont, but if the jag has killed a farmers cow the farmer is going to kill it anyways. Be aware that ANY Jaguar hunt is going to be difficult, extreme heat and humidity and lots of mosqitoes and ants. If it was easy everyone would put them on and they would be cheap. In my book they are the ultimate dangerous game and a great trophy. I do have some immediate openings and we are coming into the cool season. You wouldnt even need to worry about traveling with your own gun as you can use one of mine. email me with questions at jagsafaris@hotmail.com

coues
.275 member

Reged: 04/03/03
Re: Jaguar [Re: jaghunter]
      #20056 - 27/10/04 05:28 AM

From the AZGF pages:

http://www.azgfd.com/artman/publish/article_195.shtml

Pictuers and story about jaguars living in southern AZ

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: Jaguar [Re: coues]
      #175431 - 13/02/11 04:20 AM

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (970 WFLA) - A coalition of environmental groups has petitioned the government to start transplanting Florida panthers to Georgia's Okefenokee Swamp.

http://970wfla.com/pages/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=124415&article=8164746

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Jaguar [Re: Bakes]
      #175452 - 13/02/11 04:11 PM

Quote:

Read a National Geographic article about Jaguars. There was a photo taken by a Arizonia rancher in the 90's of a jaguar on a rock out crop. Great looking cats.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Jaguar [Re: lancaster]
      #175650 - 16/02/11 09:37 PM

It's always interesting to me how these threads can go from 2004 to 2011 in an instant.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5331

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com