Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .30-06 + Elk

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: .30-06 + Elk; Cow Carcass & Coyotes.... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144033 - 20/10/09 11:43 PM

9.3, if the wolves are causing so much havoc on game out there, let's put together a little Forum Wolf hunt! I'll make the trip.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: .30-06 + Elk; Cow Carcass & Coyotes.... [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #144036 - 20/10/09 11:59 PM

Quote:

9.3, if the wolves are causing so much havoc on game out there, let's put together a little Forum Wolf hunt! I'll make the trip.

Would be wonderful. Even the non-res tags are affordable. Problem is, nobody here seems yet to know how to hunt them in our terrain, cover, etc. I am researching it. I am not kidding when I tell you a wolf hunt is going to be an incredibly unproductive, difficult thing to pull off in our area.

I just heard that the first wolf killed in the state was pulled in with a predator call. But I've been calling coyotes for years and never brought in a wolf! And coyotes are very tough to bring in here, light-years more difficult than in any other state or area I've hunted them.

Every wolf I've seen except for the last one I could not have shot under any circumstances, or hit at least. None of the ones I have seen on my place here could I have hit.

We won't kill enough to reach quota, and I hear the F&G might extend the season to allow for the possiblity to do so. Hopefully that will be the case. We need snow and concentrated prey species {elk, deer} to concentrate wolves. I've already given my son the orders; keep in shape and get ready for after deer season.

We will learn how to kill these things. It may wind up a little unorthodox, but there has got to be a way to do it. Right now it is guess-work all the way. The hide of the one I saw yesterday was taken by a fellow and his wife who were strolling down a logging road and heard wolves howling and running their way. The wolf crossed the trail and he shot it; 100% luck, impossible to recreate. Then they were surrounded by the wolves, darting in and among the trees, snarling, etc.

I will keep the Forum folks posted. Elk and deer may prompt "hunting secrets" but with wolves, I hope there are no secrets among hunters; post all methods and kill wolves.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #144037 - 21/10/09 12:04 AM

Quote:

I should add that though my son and I took elk this year, elk numbers taken are poor in our area. VERY poor. The fur buyers salt shack has a short pile that should be three times as large now, but isn't. The best elk hunters I know, a group of 4 fellows who take 4 bulls every year just returned from elk camp. ZERO. Not one elk taken. Small numbers of track seen, with wolf track in it. The post season numbers produced by the state will help tell the tale, but the future of elk hunting in thE ENTIRE state is bleak.

We need to take back our States, and that is going to start with killing wolves, worthless pelts or not.

+++++++++++=

There are areas now in Montana that are draw only for license where only a few years back you could buy over the counter any bull tag you wanted..ironically, it is only the areas closest to the park where the buggers were first introduced...one of our wolf loving biologists tried to suggest it had very little to do with wolves and many other factors..I jumped him on it during a public meeting, stating the facts above along with the fact that all the cows and calves no longer winter in that canyon but have moved to the next valley as it is much more open and the snow fall is less than 1/4th of the other area..ie; easier to get away from the wolves..he had nothing further to say...imagine that....

Hunters have harvested 9 of the allotted 12 for this area..so they are going fast--big game opens this Sunday..feeling that will take care of the rest of them..any luck at all..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .30-06 + Elk; Cow Carcass & Coyotes.... [Re: Ripp]
      #144038 - 21/10/09 12:14 AM

Quote:

Hunters have harvested 9 of the allotted 12 for this area..so they are going fast--big game opens this Sunday..feeling that will take care of the rest of them..any luck at all..

I'll add that, as you know, but others don't, Montana bent over and took it from the enviro's, and selected as a total statewide quota 75 {seventy-five!} wolves. 75 for the whole state. A paltry, embarrassing joke of a figure, calculated to be the least possible number they could select without causing an uproar among hunters of the state, and calculated to be as pleasing to the greens as possible. That number will not stop wolf increase at all.

Our quota of 220 will not stop increase, either, as recruitment is calculated to outstrip harvest.

I do not know how easy it is to kill a wolf in every part of the state. There are likely some areas easier than others. But in heavily timbered mountains killing wolves with a rifle is very difficult indeed. Impossible to reduce numbers in fact, acknowledged in the Judge's decision! And thus the reason for use of poison in order to get rid of them in the first place.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #144040 - 21/10/09 12:58 AM

I have several friends in Alaska who hunt wolves and regularly make kills. I'll ask them what they
do and relay the information here.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: .30-06 + Elk; Cow Carcass & Coyotes.... [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #144043 - 21/10/09 01:18 AM

The only way to effectively reduce wolf numbers is to use 10/80. Strichnine and cyanide will work, but they learn to smell the stuff, apparently.

Here, back in the 50's, an open, extensive program was hatched to poison off the entire wolf population - I mean, this was cruel and crudely done- everyone was poisoning carcasses. It got to the point that the wolves only ate what they immediatly killed and stopped scavenging entirely. They'd not cross any human's path and even jumped entirely over sled and snowmobile tracks, stayed in deep woods, off fields and lakes, which are normal highways for them. We found it was entirely impossible to eliminate the wolf - as you can not see - those wolves you have are from here, are huge animals and very smart. It's usually only the dumb ones that will come to calls and they're still pretty cagy when doing so.

Tough animal to reduce the numbers of - to make a difference, that is. After the poisoning program, it only took 20 years for them to reach overpopulation again.
for years now, we've had a limit of 3 per year per licenced hunter, but now, they've opened it up no bag limit. Still, very few are shot. My buddy is going to get a Fox Pro and we'll try that. It will get to the point where you don't even care if you wound them, just get a bullet into them and let the others kill them.
When they can subsist on rancher's cattle, the natural peeks and valleys of wolf populations, tied to ungulate populations ceases to exist. When they reach the populated conditon where they'd be starving and dying off in the bush, the ungulates are already almost extinct. But - with the ranchers to provide cattle and horses for food, they'll remain high in numbers.
The Anderson ranch actually had wolves coming into the pens around the barn beside the house at night after the deer and moose were cleaned off Grouse mountain, behind the ranch. Nasty situation with lots of wolves but they were still very difficult to shoot with a rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .30-06 + Elk; Cow Carcass & Coyotes.... [Re: DarylS]
      #144047 - 21/10/09 02:45 AM

Der Jaeger:

Please post any info for all. Wolves are routinely killed in some open areas and I know of some methods used in thicker terrain, but as Daryl says, they are VERY tough, and in populated areas learn hum activity and methods very quickly. On my own fields I have seen them spot me from over 800 yards and start running. No, I cannot hit them at 800 yards! And most places again, as Daryl says, they are deep in timber. Methods will develop for sure, but restictions are high; no electronic calls, no dogs, no bait. Basically, you can feel free to wonder around the woods and hope to bump into the canine version of a brain dead moron or one hobbling along and suffering from some terminal illness, like a gut full of rat poison that some poor misbegotten patriot dumped on a road kill...

Otherwise...good luck.

But we are going to try HARD.

Post all methods! Don't worry if they work.

Here's one I just heard about and I think is totally legal, too; use a couple full size elk decoys. Stand them in a clearcut and use several calls {cow, bull}. Several guys could work over a pack, and any that leave will be educated that elk noises might not mean elk, a confusion that might help decrease their efficiency killing them over time.

I say to all Idaho hunters; Get off your asses during the winter, leave Saturday football to the city slickers, find an area that had a season and HUNT. F___ them up with elk calls. Kill them and/or get them so confused about what is and what isn't an elk they have no idea what is going on.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5412

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com