Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9.3x62 + Bear

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
9.3x62 + Bear
      #142370 - 20/09/09 07:12 AM

This morning.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: 9.3x57]
      #142371 - 20/09/09 07:16 AM

Awesome, well done.

love the pic of the treed bear.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: 500Nitro]
      #142372 - 20/09/09 07:36 AM

500;

I had to photoshop that pic three times to lighten it enough to see the thing.

Here's the hole. Naturally, it treed down at the bottom, out a ways and down to the right out of the picture. You can see my pickup on the road left and up.

Here it is trussed up, meat inside skin, ready for the pack up and out. A groinbuster. Glad I had Sonny.

My rifle next to a new Marlin owned by one of the guys. Mine has a 19-inch barrel, his .444 {the "standard issue" bear gun around here} with 22-inch bbl, but both are about the same total length.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #142376 - 20/09/09 08:48 AM

WTG 9.3!

Pictures never do justice to how steep the terrain feels. It looks like it'd be a sweaty pack out. That usually ends up giving more satisfaction afterwards though.

I start my drive to ID tomorrow for my drop camp in the Selway. (unit 17). Let's hope the wolves haven't aready ruined it for me.

Armbar.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: armbar]
      #142379 - 20/09/09 10:54 AM

Armbar, I do wish you the best!

Yes, steep, and lots of junk in the way...for a second or two we all wonder why we do this after the gun goes bang...

It's been hot here at peak temps {chilly in the morn} but we had a wee bit of cloud cover this morning and that kept the sun at bay. Deep canyons kept cool by dense timber, too.

Please post the results of your hunt, hopefully with a big rack picture, too!

Had bear steaks for late lunch, and have cutthroats ready for supper, unless Sonny brings home some grouse.

Here's the sun, just "showering and shaving", not yet taking on the world.

Cleaning up after gutting in the little canyon stream below the tree. Cold and clear, but at the bottom...

Here's an idea for you that I've made good on with a few rifles, now. Works great for very steep terrain. I started doing this for my coyote gun, a 6.5x55 I use for skiing, but now have made it a part of a few hard-use guns; a double-strap "backpack" side sling. Try it for the Selway, you'll like it! This one is my chopped 9.3x62;

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#142381 - 20/09/09 11:00 AM

What do you attach the sling to on the gun ?

Does it still use the sling stud attachments ?

Any chance of a close up photo of the set up on the gun
and on your back ?

Edited by 500Nitro (20/09/09 11:01 AM)

LarrysGrip
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Upstate, SC, USA
      #142387 - 20/09/09 12:15 PM

Almighty, Almighty, You answered my prayers for x57's back and gave him a bruin too. PTL

Nice to see a close up of Sonny, too. Glad you could put Sonny on that haul out to help.

Thanks for the great pictures and even the sketchy text. You must be tired after a full day. Maybe you can embellish your bear yarn for those of us who would have liked to have been with you. That didn't take too much hunting. I'm very excited and happy for you as I imagine is all the forum family.

Blessings indeed,
Larry

9.3x57
.450 member

#142388 - 20/09/09 12:25 PM

Quote:

What do you attach the sling to on the gun ?

500: Depends. Some, mere screw-on sling studs on the side. Some a stud countersunk to embed the nut on the other side {really stout affair, I use that for skiing}.

Here; Left, Ruger 6.5x55, my Skigun, embedded sling swivel studs. Slings hooked to a QD sling attachment. Right, my CZ550. I used two Swedish M96 sling swivels on this one. Both of them are rear buttstock military sling swivels. I had my gunsmith friend blue them.

Any chance of a close up photo of the set up on the gun
and on your back ?

Here ya go.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#142390 - 20/09/09 12:33 PM

Hello Larry:

Yes, thanks be to God the Creator of these things for the blessing they are.

Up at 03:00, riggin' at 05:30.

This was the fastest race I've ever been on. Dogs had the big fat sow treed in 20 minutes, but it took us a long time to get there. I'm glad I shot her, or she'd have suffered a heart attack for sure!!

Dogs run fast going downhill!!!!!

Got to the tree, tied the dogs back, took care of business and then the houndsmen left. We got all cleaned up at the bottom of the canyon, and then commenced the haul up.

Glad I had my son with me.

He "drew" first dibs in the spring, and hunted hard with a few hard long races, but no bear. Now I got the go-round.

But he still has an "invite", so maybe there's a bruin for Sonny this fall after all!!

If so, I'll reciprocate and help him pack it out.

--------------------

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #142391 - 20/09/09 12:46 PM

A great caliber and a fine bear!

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: 500grains]
      #142394 - 20/09/09 12:59 PM

Thanks 500grains.

I really enjoy bear hunting, and the 9.3x62 is as you say, a perfect match for the game!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #142400 - 20/09/09 02:46 PM

CONGRATS....That looks like a ton of fun..have never chased bears with hounds--only mountain lions...

You should have some good eating for a while..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: Ripp]
      #142402 - 20/09/09 03:41 PM

Yes I've been watching the weather and it seems rather warm. 2 years ago it did nothing but snow. It doesn't matter to me...it is what is is. Rest assured that I WILL hit it hard everyday.

I'm using an Eberlestock backpack that allows the rifle to be "slung" in the pack.

I will post results of the hunt here for all to view. Like I said, let's hope the wolves haven't compromised my time and effort.

Enjoy the bear steaks and trout!

Armbar.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: armbar]
      #142406 - 20/09/09 07:43 PM

nice bear rod tillykke

how big is that bear, the photo dont help that much since i know you are quite tall. ?

cant you get the horse to help you with the recovery, or do they object against the bear, smell maybe ?

best

peter

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: peter]
      #142408 - 20/09/09 08:25 PM

Well done Rod. I think you'll need to change your name from 9,3x57 to 9,3x62.

If I didn't know better, some of those scenery photos could have been from right here at home.

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: EricD]
      #142412 - 20/09/09 09:14 PM

Waidmannsheil Rod ! A nice bear indeed. It must be nice hunting with Your son and the dogs.

Kalunga

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: Kalunga]
      #142417 - 21/09/09 12:15 AM

Waidmannsdank, Kalunga, mange tak, Peter and thanks, Erik! Yes, Kalunga, it is the best with my son there, too!

Erik, yes, looks alot like the pic's of Norge you post, except now is our dry season which I don't think you get? Mornings are around freezing, sometimes quite cold, and afternoons temps go to 90F/36C or even more in the bright sun. Fire danger very high. VERY heavy, deep and thick, choking dust, too on the logging roads. Rains are due in the next couple weeks, and then our weather changes dramatically.

Peter, I am not too tall; 5'10"/178cm, and weigh 175 lbs/79 kgs. Average male bear here go 165 lbs/75 kgs and they are real ridgerunners! Most of mine have gone less than 200, but I shoot for meat, average bears mostly, and don't hold out for the biggest which around here would be something like 350 lbs/160 kgs or so. This bear easily went over 200 lbs/91 kgs, probably more like 225 lbs/102 kgs. Maybe a bit more. Yes, you are right, they are hard to guess from pictures. I can make it look twice as big by laying it down and hunkering down some distance behind it!

For frame {bone} and muscle size it was not in and of itself a really big bear tho all have forearms that are stunning in mass and strength, but it was a bigger-than-average sow and then...the reason this bear was so heavy is the huge berry crop this year and her attention to it! It represented the Modern American Physique...GROSSLY OBESE!!! Absolutely encased in the thickest fat, on its rump and back the fat varied and was as thick as 4 inches/10 cm in spots!

Pardon the picture, but this will give you an idea of how totally plated this thing was:

As for horses...

Good horses can be trained to take a predator on their backs, and some are used in other areas of Idaho, where they can be used for spotting more open ground and can get to a downed critter, but here, no. Almost nobody uses horses for bear hunting, for a variety of reasons. First, a whole day can be spent in the pickup driving breakneck speeds on narrow, twisting logging roads following a race that can cover many, many miles. Radio and GPS collar trackers are used to keep track of the dogs. No way a loaded horse trailer can be used safely under these conditions and no ridden horse can keep up with the pickups on the road portion of the hunt.

Brush is horrifically thick in many of the areas where bear live and tree or bay up and fight and are shot, and a person needs a really sick, masochistic sense of humor to even want to go down into these holes, and you about have to be suicidal to lug something out! Up till a few years ago, bear carcasses could be left in the woods and many hunted for the hides only. We love the meat, so we bone it and wrap it up and get it out.

Some use backpacks, we used a pole yesterday. I cut the pole with a swipe from one of my "hunting bolos" I made from a chainsaw bar, with fine, razor, shaving-sharp, left-handed {I'm a Southpaw} chisel-edge on one side and dull-"V" bonebreaker edge on the other:

Here is an example of the idiotic mess you encounter getting the critter out. I'm smiling here because I got to share the joy with my son who for most of the trip got the heavier end...

And occaisionally you have to go more UP than OUT:

My wife and I are planning a bear hunting trip not too far a ways from here {about 50 miles} this spring if I have time. We'll haul the camper to the snowline, then haul the horses, set up camp and spend a week in the saddle, spotting for bear on open slopes as they come out of hibernation and feed on the new grass.

Spring bear are incredible runners, and fall bear can be, too, but this one from yesterday was so fat it gave the hounds a very quick race and tho it went for the deepest hole it could find, didn't go far from the strike {start}.

A powerful, bone-breaking rifle is the thing for these things. I've seen well-hit bear come out of a tree looking for somebody to wreck, and sometimes shots must be placed through branches they are hanging on, too. The houndsmen here ALL carry .444's; Marlins or rarely Winchesters because they are most needed when the bear is fighting on the ground. These guys want devastating but relatively shallow penetration to minimize chances of hitting a dog that squirts around to the offside of the bear. I like a combination of penetration {...branches...} and fast opening, which the Prvi Partizan in both 9.3x62 and 9.3x57 calibers gives. Yesterday's shot was very tricky, and took quite a while to set up.

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#142418 - 21/09/09 12:22 AM

Your description is excellent as are the pictures.

Thanks for posting.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #142419 - 21/09/09 12:57 AM

Good-on-ya, Rod. What load did you use - I assume a 285gr. Privi at about 2,200fps to 2,300fps?
Better bear than the usual for your local - looks close to 5 3/4 feet squared - good weight estimate too.
Lots of grease and oil for pastry - the best there is, BTW - Best pastry my wife ever made was when she dipped into my patch lube (bear grease) for a pie crust when we lived in Smithers.
I haven't had a hankering to shoot a bear for many years, but do need the grease to feed my muzzleloaders & there's lots of folks around here will eat all the meat. I've kinda weaned myself off bear.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: DarylS]
      #142421 - 21/09/09 01:20 AM

Daryl, you are RIGHT.

The fat is very tasty, a lot like young beef fat. We have fed many who think the pot roasts are fine, tender, aged beef until we tell them it is bear.

Many say they do not like the taste of bear. I wonder why because I've proven how good it is by giving them some of ours, which they like! I think I know why. In spring and fall, especially in fall, bear are hunted during very warm weather. As stated, mid-day temps often exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit and if the pack out is long or if the hunter simply doesn't get the critter gutted, skinned and frozen FAST, meat can and does go "off". And then there are those who believe all game meat "needs" to be hanged before butchering. This is of course the quickest way to ruin good meat in such temperatures. Even in a day or two a fat-encased carcass can be blown high to mighty.

Speed getting the critter out is always the goal, so we come prepared to make use of any means to get it out. Here's the 4-wheeler. It got no use yesterday, but sometimes it can be used on old skid trails or such to get a little closer or close enough to use winch cable and rope. Yesterday the cover was so tight it was useless to us and it stayed on the back of the pickup.

Yes, Daryl, 285 Prvi! Load was 54.5 grains of H4895 + CCI200 primer, in reformed Winchester .30-06 cases. Velocity goes 2250-2300 from the chopped, stubby barrel, just as you say. At these speeds the bullet will hole a two or three inch Douglas Fir branch and still kill the bear hanging onto the other side of it even though many consider it a fast-opening bullet, which, of course, it is. A .243 will kill on a broadside shot any bear that ever ran the Panhandle, but if that bear is trying to put wood between itself and the hunter, a chunkier bullet is the thing. I've killed bear with the .348 Winchester, .303 British, 7.62x54R, .45-70, .44 Magnum, .30-30, 9.3x57 and 9.3x62. The latter two calibers are my favorites.

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (21/09/09 02:10 AM)

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #142442 - 21/09/09 07:00 AM

Sorry for the delay 9.3, but I'm just getting caught up. What a great read and congratulations on a great bear. That kind of hunt sounds very exciting and you executed perfectly as is evidenced by the photo tour. I'd love to get over to that part of the country again. I'm strongly considering a bear hunt in New Brunswick next Spring, so that may have to do, for now.

Again, congrats! I'm glad it all came together. I'm sure the story of the hunt will grace many future campfires.

--------------------

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #142449 - 21/09/09 10:00 AM

9.3:
Great hunt! Super story and photos! It makes me more excited to be here in Alaska. Black bear are on the upswing here in population. My son and I are going to get into a bear hunt as soon as we can here.
I have my 9.3x57 M46 ready to go (but in the safe in a container and still ready to be shipped to Alaska from texas!! I had my 9.3x57 M146 (98 action) out for rechamber to 9.3x62 and will have it shipped here as soon as I can prove residency. We have been out touring a few weekends now and have seen moose and beaver, but no bear yet.
It's only time. Great stuff and please show us more of your hunts and adventures.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #142454 - 21/09/09 05:34 PM

Great story, you had a good time getting that teddy out to the road there, pitty it wasnt one of the huge ones.

Were you live really looks the same as our northern parts of sweden, great open country and lots of climbing.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: 450_366]
      #142456 - 21/09/09 08:54 PM

Nice bear! I too really enjoy bear meat.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 9.3x62 + Bear [Re: AspenHill]
      #142460 - 21/09/09 11:15 PM

450; In the winter we call it "Lille Norge". Sounds like "Lille Sverige" would work, too! Must have, since up till the '70's the population was probably over 50% Swedish and Norwegian, many straight from "The Old Country", the rest from cut over timber country in the Michigan UP or Wisconsin. I used to get greeted in Swedish at church every Sunday till a couple years ago det gamle Mr Anderson finally went to the old folks home.

In late summer dry months {July 15 to Sept 15 or so} it reminds me a lot in some ways of the Karkloof Mountains in Natal, RSA.

88: You got it going there now! We expect and I'm sure will get many great threads from you, followed by many great meals for you!

Here is the skull from Saturday's sow next to last year's small boar. The bolo knife blade is 11 1/2 inches long so that should give you an idea of how big the skull is.

--------------------

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #142489 - 22/09/09 03:53 PM

9.3:
At the moment, I just can't wait until my rifles and guns arrive!!!! We are looking forward to the hunts. We have been taking a few hikes and last weekend ended up driving over hatcher pass where I lived 35 years ago. I was in as much awe today as then. My kids and wife couldn't believe how beautiful and majestic. We found a new set of beaver ponds and climbed down to see if we could spot a beaver. There were Hi-bush cranberries everywhere, and then, also some bear sign. We made a careful but rapid retreat as it was getting toward dusk at 8:00 pm and the alders and underbrush was thick. AND, I was very unarmed. Best to play it safe.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com