Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: albino deer

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
albino deer
      #117556 - 24/10/08 06:54 AM

Wondering why states go out of their way to protect albino deer(specifically whitetails in Iowa). Sure, they're rare, but the gene that causes albinism is not an indicator of a healthy herd. It's a recessive genetic defect that, more often than not, surfaces as a result of inbreeding.Do a bit of researck into white tigers and see how many are born either deformed or "mentally disabled"(unable to be trained for shows they're intended for)There should be some benefit to hunters who kill an albino deer and remove it from the gene pool-free second tag maybe? Instead of that, the hunter in Iowa who kills an albino deer is rewarded with several thousand dollars in fines. Even in the reptile trade, albino snakes tend to have more health problems than normals-Burmese pythons are inbred to the point that it's hard to get even a normal snake that is healthy. Rare isn't always good.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: albino deer [Re: Shackleton]
      #117608 - 25/10/08 05:45 AM

blindness,sterility,they wont live long but like the white black bear pretty yes but protected.the white buffalo sacred to the indians.humans are at awe with white animals.they do make a nice mount.and they taste the same,

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: albino deer [Re: bwananelson]
      #117625 - 25/10/08 10:32 AM

A recessive gene doesn't necessarily make someting 'bad' genetics. A white animal may not be a true albino as well, so just because it looks white does not mean it is weak. As trophy hunters, humans are prone to shoot the unique first, for instance, blond or cinnamon bears get shot first, etc.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: albino deer [Re: AspenHill]
      #117645 - 25/10/08 10:34 PM

I think that a true albino would have pink eyes. White fallow deer are are not uncommon in some areas and of course there are white park herds. Actually, the shade of white varies quite a bit, but they are definitely not albinos.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: albino deer [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #117647 - 25/10/08 11:30 PM

they are not white they are blondes.who spend to much time in the sun.OMG REALLY WHITE,PLEASE.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: albino deer [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #117735 - 27/10/08 04:56 PM

Quote:

I think that a true albino would have pink eyes. White fallow deer are are not uncommon in some areas and of course there are white park herds. Actually, the shade of white varies quite a bit, but they are definitely not albinos.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. There was a true albino deer in my area several years ago(pink eyes and all). She lived for 8 years(after being seen the first time), was found dead, and mounted for display between several businesses-the mount travels from one to the next. I'm aware of leucistic/hypomelanistic, etc traits from being involved with reptiles. The reason I specifically mentioned albinos is that's what I've seen, and is what most people tend to think of when a white deer is mentioned. Wondering how many states DON'T protect them-I've seen a couple magazine articles about people who have shot albino deer, as well as melanistic(black) at the other extreme.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: albino deer [Re: Shackleton]
      #117749 - 27/10/08 11:12 PM

The reason Iowa protects them is because of an unrealistic rule passed by our Iowa legislature to protect them after a bunch of ninnies and old ladies got to complaining after one was killed in our state. It is the same kind of uninformed reasoning that keeps us from having a Dove season while all the states around us do have one, too many women bird watchers said they were song birds! This was after our Iowa legislature had passed a law allowing the Iowa DNR to set a dove season in Iowa. Instead of leaving it to the experts in the DNR to decide how to manage our wildlife, the legislature has taken over and rules us by emotions, both uninformed and illogical.
Bob H.

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: albino deer [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #119046 - 18/11/08 06:34 AM

Here in Michigan, you can harvest a white deer with the same tag you would use on any other deer...

DM

bakerb
.224 member

Reged: 03/09/08
Loc: SW MO
Re: albino deer [Re: DM]
      #120344 - 05/12/08 03:08 AM

I don't believe Missouri protects them. I've seen several true albinos mounted that were killed in Missouri

Bake

--------------------
Shots rang out. . . as shots are wont to do.

bakerb
.224 member

Reged: 03/09/08
Loc: SW MO
Re: albino deer [Re: bakerb]
      #120345 - 05/12/08 03:09 AM

And if you're looking for a reason why they are protected, it's because of public sentiment. A real case of legislature's bowing to Public pressure and not to science. The non-hunting public thinks that these freaks (true albinos) are worth protecting because of their uniqueness

Bake

--------------------
Shots rang out. . . as shots are wont to do.

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: albino deer [Re: bakerb]
      #120397 - 05/12/08 05:47 PM

West Virginia doesn't have any regulations on them. Here's a small piebald that we watched for 3 years on the farm. the year they opened a gun doe season I took it with a bow as there were a lot of people knew about it and I knew someone would come in and shoot it at night.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: albino deer [Re: dale]
      #120417 - 06/12/08 01:31 AM

Neat looking full mount!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2544

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com