Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hog hunting comes to America

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kaywoodie
.224 member

Reged: 21/08/11
Loc: Bastrop Co. Texas
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Story]
      #188292 - 22/08/11 10:59 AM

Greetings all. My first real post here! I've hunted hogs here (Texas) for almost 30 years. Killing them with everything from smoothbore flinters to my beloved Mausers. There were areas here that have had the critters for quite a while. In the early 90's the population exploded. This has generally been accepted as the result of individuals doing their own catch and release program. If you would have told me I would have a hog problem on my place iwould have been quite skeptical. They were out in the botton last evening. But I really do not see them as a pest but the occassional "manna from Heaven" when we stick a nice young shoat in the larder or on the BBQ!

I took this boar April, a year ago, maybe 20-25 metres from the front door of our house! Killed 2 more a bit smaller just this past June in the same spot. Rifle is a Husqvarna 146 I had just finished rechambering not 12 hours earlier from 9.3 x 57 to 9.3 x 62. Had'mt even time to sight in the scope. Used the iron sights. (BTW, I do have another 146 still in 9.3 x 57 that wifey gave me for Christmas! Lovely cartridge!)

Kaywoodie

--------------------
Mausers Rock!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Kaywoodie]
      #189325 - 06/09/11 11:33 PM

New York State wildlife officials are squealing over "captive hunts" upstate that have flooded three counties with out-of-control feral hogs.

Officials are considering banning the popular shoot-em-ups in which the animals are brought onto private game ranches, because the boars have been getting free and multiplying unchecked.

"We're not talking about Porky Pig getting loose from the farm," Patrick Rusz of the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy which has battled a boar invasion in recent years.

"These are Russian wild boars. Those animals are Houdini-like escape artists and they breed readily in the wild," he told The Associated Press.

"We've had domestic pigs for centuries and never had a feral hog problem until the game ranches started bringing these in."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011...l#ixzz1XB9IQe9A

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: Hog hunting comes to America [Re: Story]
      #207643 - 25/04/12 02:13 PM

Don't be like this guy...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12699

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com