Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: English hunting rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
English hunting rifle
      #84695 - 27/08/07 01:54 AM

Hello Folks,

I would like your help in locating a rifle or builder of rifles. It is my desire to own a modern version of an English-style muzzle-loading hunting rifle. I'm looking for a percussion rifle with nice walnut and fine checkering, but without the brass inlays of typical American rifles. Engraving is not desired. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: English hunting rifle [Re: Tatume]
      #84697 - 27/08/07 02:08 AM

Try Oktober Country.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: English hunting rifle [Re: bonanza]
      #84698 - 27/08/07 03:32 AM

Edited by szihn (27/08/07 03:46 AM)

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: English hunting rifle [Re: szihn]
      #84705 - 27/08/07 07:05 AM

Where id you get that beautiful rifle?

szihn
.400 member

Re: English hunting rifle [Re: bonanza]
      #84708 - 27/08/07 07:37 AM

It's several rifles.
An 8 bore, a 62 and a 66 cal.
I made them

szihn
.400 member

#84731 - 27/08/07 03:09 PM

Tatume,
e-mail me at buchsenmeister@yahoo.com
I replied to your PMs but the screen shows that they are not going through.
Steve

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
      #84892 - 30/08/07 12:35 AM

You might think about contacting Doc White at www.whitemuzzleloading.com and see what he is currently putting together in English Sporting Rifles. I have one that he made. It is a .504 with laminated stock and black ice coated metal. Not at all fancy but absolutely the last muzzleloader I would part with.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: English hunting rifle [Re: Plains99]
      #85823 - 18/09/07 12:53 AM

Very nice, Steve. I take it the lower rifle is the .66? That pistol grip is especially fine on a late period rifle.
: My little 14 bore isn't quite as fine, and lacks checkering. It does have sights I've come to love. point-blank(to 120yards) 150 meters, 200 meters and the last leaf is zero'd for 300 meters for gong shooting at the range.
:

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Re: English hunting rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #85828 - 18/09/07 03:11 AM

Hi Daryl
The top 3 are of the 66 bore rifle. The 4th and 5th one is of a 8 bore. The 6th one is a left-hand Purdey style, 62 cal.
The bottom 2 are also of an 8 bore, with the pistol grip.
I have not put a 3 blade sight on one of these yet, but I would if I were asked.

I use a lot of 2 blade sights. I like to zero at 75 and 150. For hunting, this seems to work out very well for my customers. The standing sight is good from the muzzle to about 100 yds, and you hold the front sight up the height of the bead at about 135. The folding leaf is good from about 140 to about 175 and you hold bead up at 200. If you hold bead and 1/2 the front sight blade up over the top of the rear sight on the folder, you are good to about 250.

I have only made one stupidly long shot with a muzzleloader in my life. It was on an antelope about 7 years ago. I have a 2 blade rear sight on my flinter (see the pic) and I held the front sight up as far as it would go in the notch of the folding blade, and then elevated about 2 feet over the back of the antelope. I could hardly believe I hit him, but I did. Right through both upper shoulder bones and the lungs. It was cool, but I think perhaps foolish, and I was lucky.

I do shoot out to 300 yds with my rifle quite a lot, but I think on game, I should limit myself to closer ranges. So far I have never fired a 2nd shot at a big game animal with a muzzleloader in my life, and I have never missed one. I think I should keep that 100% average if I can, and that will come only from shooting when I KNOW I will kill, and not when I think I can. So I won't take any more of those long shots. I was lucky that time. I like to leave it that way.

Happy hunting
Steve

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/MyRifle4.jpg

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #85898 - 20/09/07 01:42 AM

Steve,
is that a 3/8" base on that sight on your rifle? If so, where can i find one like it? Man, you do some fine work!!!

szihn
.400 member

Re: English hunting rifle [Re: degoins]
      #85931 - 20/09/07 08:49 AM

Thank you degoins.

The sight on my Flintlock is made up and finished from a casting, from Allan Foundry.
You have to put them together, but it's not all that hard to do. They are not a standard 3/8, They are a bit smaller and shallower. You have to file them sharp before you use them, so the dovetail will vary in size depending on how much you file it. You can buy them from Track of the Wolf.

The sights on the English guns were all hand made, so they can't be bought. Each one was made to fit each gun.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#85967 - 21/09/07 01:38 AM

Some single blade sight blanks are available at TOTW - point blank + 1 leaf). You could a search for Express Sights on google and you'll come up with some very cool sights - perhaps like my 3 leaf + standing point blank sight.
; I should note here that most express sights have a standing sight, + any number of leaves, therefore a single leaf sight actually has 2 sights, 2 leaves has 3 sights, etc, as the leafs stand up in front of the point blank sight.

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by Daryl_S (21/09/07 01:41 AM)

degoins
.333 member

#85979 - 21/09/07 02:45 AM

thanks guys.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#86931 - 11/10/07 12:31 AM

As far as long range shooting of game, my limit with modern, high powdered rifles, like the .375 and .458 is 300 yards. That said, I've never had to shoot any game, with any rifle, past 100 meters. I prefer to do my hinting before pulling the trigger.
; Too many bad things can happen just as the sear breaks (trigger fires). An animal making 1 to 2 steps at 200 to 300 yards between the time the trigger breaks and the bullet impacts, means the difference between a perfect shoulder/lung shot and a gut or hip shot animal. I've seen that happen to others and won't risk it myself. I also won't allow my hunters to risk it. Our big game is too precious to waste.
; Extra sights of the English Express type, are most fun at the range on gong targets. Consistantly hitting the 200 and 300 meter gongs is easy with a large bore, proper load and proper sighting.

--------------------
Daryl

degoins
.333 member

#90688 - 05/12/07 11:24 PM

If any of you guys are considering having a fine muzzel loader built, you should really contact Steve. I acquired that 8 bore pictured from him and the pictures dont do it justice. Steve does fantastic work!!! That 8 balances like a fine bird gun. It feels much lighter than it is. And if any of you were considering an 8 bore, but were apprehensive about recoil......dont be....it's not bad at all. Kinda like a 458, but not sharp and harsh. I always have a pretty good bruise and soreness after I shoot my 458 with it's recoil pad.......not so with the 8 and it's steel butt plate. Super nice rifle!!!

degoins
.333 member

#90689 - 05/12/07 11:26 PM

Oh and Steve is a super nice and very helpful fellow as many of you probaly know.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#90692 - 06/12/07 01:30 AM

The thought of an 8 bore aleady as my torn rotator cuff paining. More power to you, degoins.
: I agree that Steve is a great guy and great gun builder too. I surely do like and appreciate the English style guns. They are the ultimate for a hunting rifle and were even recognized that way back in the mid 1800's in Western America.
: The rifle I pictured above, has never lost the 'duel' at our local rendezvous. The targets are 8" round plates, on a swivel at 50 yards. The first hit swings the other copetitor's plate out of the way instantly.
; The shooter merely concentrates on the centre of the plate, just as if shooting a bow instinctively. The shot is taken as soon as the stock comes into the shoulder - pow/clang - every time with that English gun. Other rifles, like Hawkens, plains rifles, or longrifles take too long to align the sights on target and fit hooked butt plates into arm crooks, etc. It is uncanny how the bead jumps into the shallow V instantly as the gun comes into the shoulder, aimed at the middle of the plate, already aligned. After a few dry tries, one doesn't even look at the sights, only the centre of the plate. Of course, instinctive shooting is for this type of competition only, not for shooting game.

--------------------
Daryl

degoins
.333 member

#90700 - 06/12/07 02:22 AM

Hey Daryl,
I've got a gimpy shoulder myself and the 8 really isnt that bad. I tried some reduced loads with it too and they were still well within minute of coffee can at 25 yards. Lots of fun!! Oh and that's a beauty of a rifle you have there too. You're exactly right about the easy alighnment of sights on the english guns.......it's almost like they leap to your shoulder. Cant wait to get my casting stuff so I can make some ammo for this booger!!!

szihn
.400 member

#90717 - 06/12/07 06:58 AM

Hello David

Sounds like you are having fun with "The Big Girl"
I just wrote to you at your Yahoo address.
So I thought I'd come here and give you some words of encouragement.

YOUR HOOKED!
there is NO ESCAPE!
Soon you will have trouble sleeping without dreaming about frontstuffers, and hunting the old fashioned way.
People will think you are weird.
Other hunters will be afraid of you.
You will have rangers coming to see "what blew up" when the thunder's over and smoke clears.
You will start to think sulfur smoke is the best perfume in the world.
And all this will happen no matter what you do to prevent it.

ISN'T THAT ALL GREAT! ?? !!

Steve

degoins
.333 member

#90784 - 06/12/07 11:40 PM

Hi Sata....I mean Steve,

Yes, I'm hooked alright...thanks to you!!! I had never seriously considered getting into front stuffing until you had to post pictures of "The Big Girl" on here, so I take no responsibility for my actions now or in the future. It's all your fault!!!

And yes it's great........somebody help me!!!

szihn
.400 member

#90812 - 07/12/07 03:40 AM

I thought I did help you!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91200 - 11/12/07 04:47 AM

Very pretty gun.

szihn
.400 member

Re: English hunting rifle [Re: ]
      #91234 - 11/12/07 12:06 PM

Thank You Sinner.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #91812 - 17/12/07 01:38 PM

Steve,

Degoins suggests that he saw you on a website - do you have a website that we could check out? I tried doing a Google search and couldn't find any...

Well, I'm not going to say that you make beautiful rifles because I'll be stating the obvious. I'll just say that they are sinfully attractive and join Degoins in saying that you're evil...

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

degoins
.333 member

Re: English hunting rifle [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #91860 - 18/12/07 12:52 AM

Mehul,
it was the pictures that Steve posted on this web site that took me over to the dark side, but if you go to Photobucket and type in Zihn in the seach box it will bring up Steve's photo page. Warning!!!.....you will lust terribly

szihn
.400 member

#91875 - 18/12/07 04:22 AM

Oh you guys are just making something out of nothing.
You will find that if you have me build you 15-20 guns each, your addiction will be cured and you will live the rest of your lives happy.
See,,,,,,,,,, No big deal.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!

But if you want to go look, go to www.photobucket.com and when it comes up, type in szihn in the search box.
A line comes up and it says "click here to see this users album"

When you click on that, my page will come up with nothing but a hand penned sigh that says "Select and click on a sub-folder in the left column"

In the left column you will find 5 sub folders;
American gun
German guns
English guns
Pistols and
Mausers

Click on any of them and see what's in there.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6551

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com