Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hello and a few questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
N8dawg16
.224 member

Reged: 29/11/20
Loc: WA
Hello and a few questions
      #347351 - 30/11/20 04:43 PM

Hello everyone first post. I started hunting with 50 T/c percussion rifle as a kid. I’ve gotten the itch to get back into black powder. I’ve been reading as much here as I can. I’m most interested in the English bore rifles. I’m currently going through Forsythes work. Any other books I should track down? I’m laying the plans for getting into a bore gun, maybe flintlock, in somewhere from 12-16 bore, but lefty since I’m a southpaw.

Great forum and thanks for all of the knowledge.

N8

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hello and a few questions [Re: N8dawg16]
      #347365 - 30/11/20 08:53 PM

Welcome.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Hello and a few questions [Re: NitroX]
      #347376 - 30/11/20 10:35 PM

Keep chipping away at it N8, there are some very knowledgeable folks that will be able to point you in the right direction - sorry I can't help in this regard, but don't get discouraged. There are a lot of old posts that if you go through might help you also.
93x64mm

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hello and a few questions [Re: 93x64mm]
      #347403 - 01/12/20 05:05 AM

Welcome, NB. Forum member Steve Zihn makes guns just as you were querying about.
While I have and enjoy a 14 bore rifle, I would have preferred it to be a 16, although I do shoot 16 bore balls in this rifle with a
.034" patch, I also shoot 15 bore balls with the same patch as well as .682" with .021" patches. True 14 bore is .693", but my
barrel has a .690" bore, & .714" groove dia.
I do have a friend with an 11 bore rifle (.75")in which he uses .735" balls & a substantial patch.
Our rifles both "stagger" moose.
Another forum member, Dphar (Dan P) built a 1/2 stocked English 16 bore Flinter, but his is right handed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

N8dawg16
.224 member

Re: Hello and a few questions [Re: DarylS]
      #347412 - 01/12/20 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info. Why would you have preferred the smaller bore? Is it for the increased velocity and point blank zero? Steve Zihns rifles are amazing. I have seen the post of the English fainter that tinker has. Honestly that’s what I would like to have built. But lefty of course and still working on which bore size. I managed to read through Forsythes book. It was very good. I find it interesting how much he knew about external ballistics in the middle of the 19th century.
N8

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#347417 - 01/12/20 11:01 AM

I didn't really need a tiger/water buffalo rifle, ie: 14 bore, and the 16 bore of similar rifling twist will handle a smaller powder charge for higher vel. and flatter trajectory, yes.
Dan's 16 bore runs over 1,700fps with 140gr. Swiss, while mine needs 165gr. GOEX 2F to get just 1,550fps.
A 437gr. ball will handle anything I am likely to need it for, in B.C. The 14 bore ball of 482gr. is not needed. There seemed a large difference in vel. per grain weight.
I read Forsyth's little book and HAD to have a 14 bore rifle, it's a simple as that. A 16 would have been fine, for a "bore" rifle as well as using less lead and powder.
Indeed, 20's work too, but they are so tiny in comparison.

--------------------
Daryl

N8dawg16
.224 member

#347478 - 03/12/20 09:25 AM

Well I've read all of Forsyth's book. I have a copy of Cal Pappas' Bore rifle book enroute so I'm looking forward to this. In the meantime I've been reading through the old forum posts. Great info everyone.

It'll keep me busy till I can get some supplies again. Darn ammo/powder shortages. (I finally got my Linebaugh conversion and haven't shot it yet either.)

Would anyone have a recommendation on a smith that builds a good English styled bore rifle? I need to contact October Country as they're just over the WA/ID border from me. Thanks in advance.

Nate

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #347481 - 03/12/20 12:28 PM

If you are looking for a front loading flinter or cap lock, Steve Zihn is your fellow.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Hello and a few questions [Re: tinker]
      #347483 - 03/12/20 01:26 PM

As far as powder is concerned, in the States, Graf or Graff's will ship it to your door.
Checking your State's laws, though might be a good idea if you get together with a bunch of guys to buy, say 25 pounds. Purchasing larger quantities is a way of reducing price per pound due to the Haz-Mat fees. Since the order will be in one person's name, some States have laws against that person selling to others.
BTW - welcome to the forum.

--------------------
Daryl

N8dawg16
.224 member

#347513 - 04/12/20 03:13 AM

I’ll check Grafs. Looks like they have powder so I’ll probably order some Goex and Swiss just to have. My State restricts me to only 5 pounds black. (But I could have 50 smokeless....yeah 50).

Tinker I agree with Steve Zihn looking at your rifle. It’s gorgeous, I think I read he’s not taking on new work right now. But I’ll ask him here in a bit.

Nate

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1294

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com