Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blanch 12bore Double Rifle Relic

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Blanch 12bore Double Rifle Relic [Re: Sarg]
      #325182 - 26/02/19 06:21 AM

Actually, it was in better condition 15 or 20 years ago. The fellow who owned it, played with it with all the finesse of a baboon - marking the stock around the barrel wedge escutchions, cheek piece, etc.
When our friend Don. R. saw it 'again' at a gun show, he paid the price just to get it out of the hands of that man. When Don saw it the first time, he noted it looked as if it was just made - and unfired. Of course the fine checking in the finish (& the gun itself) gave it's age away.
My Bro bought it from Don.
The rate of twist is a little fast at 1 in 48", but that makes it shoot well with lighter powder charges.

I was hesitant to post these pictures, but, what the hay. It needs to be seen.

Here is a facsimile of a 5 shot group at 100 metres off the bags. Incidently, we shot this 'match' for "lunch"- Taylor had to buy. My .69 did a bit better, even though I pulled one. Mine were over the 10 ring. Hs rifle, not adjusted since 1853, shot a bit low. Another 20 gr. would have done it. The ball weight for my rifle was 465gr., not .482gr.
His target, not bad for a 166 year old rifle, without ANY load developement. Just an educated guess.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Blanch 12bore Double Rifle Relic [Re: DarylS]
      #325186 - 26/02/19 07:00 AM

Fantastic, it gets better & man you guys can shoot to Eh !

That is a beautiful rife, I think these old English single rifles are a bit under rated in this day & times.

my ageing eyes are useless with open sights now days, cant even use the bow that well any more .

I'm now even more embarrassed of my old banger's & ability lol !

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #325187 - 26/02/19 07:05 AM

Wow that's good shooting Daryl by any means & with open sights too!
Glad your mate 'saved' it for your brother....in far better hands now, definitely one to treasure.

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Blanch 12bore Double Rifle Relic [Re: 93x64mm]
      #325193 - 26/02/19 09:36 AM

Might give a better idea, Man I wish it was like Taylor's rifle in condition & then in 8-4 Bore lol !

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#325224 - 27/02/19 06:41 AM

The breeches should be pulled, so a good HARD look at the condition and depth of pitting can be surmised. A good 90 degree bore scope would be even better.

If Ok, I would most certainly do a restoration attempt.

Not sure why it is so beat up on the muzzles, but what the hay - it's certainly re-crownable.

Emery and a coned piece of wood (or emery around a tapered stone - rotated in the muzzle), then the end of your thumb will do a splendid job.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Heelerau
.300 member

Reged: 31/01/17
Loc: Australia
      #325233 - 27/02/19 09:14 AM

Daryl, your brothers' rifle is lovely and no surprise it shoots a treat. I am gradually getting around to re soft soldering my Hollises' underib.
I reckon Sarges' old double has been converted to percussion, I bet it is fitted with Nock patent breeches, see the timber above the lock has been relieved to the flint cock to sit, and the lock plats look like they have been modified. Give the breeches a good soak for a few weeks in 50/50 acetone and auto trans fluid if you are going to have a crack at removing the breeches, but I think a good optic fibre tool would be the go first up, relatively cheap of eBay.
Looks like the maker is J Manton ?

Edited by Heelerau (27/02/19 09:15 AM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Blanch 12bore Double Rifle Relic [Re: Heelerau]
      #325239 - 27/02/19 10:48 AM

Does look like J.Manton on the top rib.
Those safety vents shown by the flash channel shown by the vent, makes it certainly fit a standard patent breech, to me. Could be wrong, most certainly.
I would expect a flint gun to have a longer forend, but indeed, it could be a re-stocking job, at any time.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#325242 - 27/02/19 11:08 AM

Here's Taylor's 15 bore J. Manton.
It works very well on grouse.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#325246 - 27/02/19 01:24 PM

Daryl, I think the Old guy has lead a full life & shows signs of that, be nice just to get it looking complete really .

Has Blanch on the Locks & part of Blanch London on the part where the nipples are, it has had a bash or three & is a bit hard to read.

One thing on here is we are getting to see some neat of Old Front Stuffers from Daryl lol !

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#325261 - 28/02/19 04:37 AM

I agree - new 'tubes', hammers, T-guard and triggers will go a long way to making it look better. Needs a rod, too.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#325272 - 28/02/19 07:24 PM

Yes It was meant to have a rod, is "tubes" nipples for the caps ?

Be a job getting the buggers out .

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#325299 - 01/03/19 01:41 PM

Yes - time past, the nipples were called tubes. By the mid 1800's, they had a restrictive opening, either top, or bottom, to limit pressure coming up the 'tube' and setting the hammer to 1/2 cock position.
Through the 1870's and 80's, ere were a number of cheap production cap-locks which did exactly that, but oft times, it was due to the locks having a coil spring as well as not enough height to the cock, at 1/2 bent position.(1/2 cock).

What a lot of people do not realize, that is when shooting bullets, conicals, minnies, etc, - elongated bullets, - the breech pressure is greatly increased, and the restrictive little hole gets burned out prematurely.
Back in the mid to late 70's when I was shooting bullets from a Bauska 38" twist .50, I replaced the nipple once a week and cut off and re-crowned the muzzle every 200 shots. That was due to using a fiberglass rod, which wore the muzzle from 1" groups to 2" groups in 200 shots. I had apertures at that time and the gun was an easy MOA rifle. I was also shooting modern 3-postion and prone competition at the time, using both optics and apertures.

--------------------
Daryl

Heelerau
.300 member

Reged: 31/01/17
Loc: Australia
      #325302 - 01/03/19 05:17 PM

Here is my mates Joseph Egg, 16 gauge, just had a set of custom cones made for it. Just got my second crow this morning off the back stoop, was sitting enjoying a cup of tea reading Col Forsythes' book on Sporting Arms and Ammunion, when a crow flew past and landed in the fig tree. [image]http://P1030164 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr[/image] [image]P1030165 by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr[/image]

Edited by Heelerau (01/03/19 05:24 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10246

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com