Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .40 caliber dilemma ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: .40 caliber dilemma ? [Re: MauserRifle]
      #94893 - 22/01/08 12:47 AM

RWS used to load 10.75x68 but I don't know if they still do. I'm told that those loads exceeded the performance of the .404 too...

The problem with losing your replies might be due to using the quick reply and not reply button for posting your message. In any case you should be able to retrieve your message by pressing the back button on the browser and the copy and paste the text into a new post using the reply button. Hope that helps

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: .40 caliber dilemma ? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #94923 - 22/01/08 09:03 AM

Nobody can advise you how to deal with an issue that could concern safety, one can only speak for ones self.

I personaly would do such a conversion and shoot it myself without reservation if:
The action on examination was sound and tight.

If I wanted to be especially sure, I would have reciever hardness checked and the action magnafluxed or x-rayed.

Many .404's were built on standard length actions.

If one considers the likley point of failure, then with a modern moly barrel it is most unlikly to fail due to hoop stress unless in an overload/obstruction scenario.
So we are concerned with bolt/action lug sheer. A .416 Taylor working on the figures I have of Max allowable pressure equates to 56692lbs lbs thrust. The .404 equates to 49044lbs.
One can conclude from this that in the vital area likley to fail a 416 Taylor which will fit the standard length imposes a stress of 15% higher than the .404. If we need to remove by my measurments .060" of material to accomadate the .404, that is less than 15% of the material in that area and furthermore due to the angle of the feed ramp it is in fact much less.

All of the above is however, at the end of the day, for your interest only and is not me attempting to convince you one way or another, just giving you my best read on the situation.

Regards

MauserRifle
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: U.S.A.
Re: .40 caliber dilemma ? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #95020 - 23/01/08 02:57 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but I lost another computer, 3 in less than one week....

JabaliHunter,

I appreciate your information. From what I have read about the 10.75x68 wat that it was a very good cartridge but the bullets of the time were not very well constructed and lacked proper pentration. According to Cartridges of The World, they were still listed in RWS catalog, but I do not know this for sure.

Thank You for the information about replies. Yes I did use the quick reply. I will not make that mistake again. I thought maybe it was due to the computer going out or getting ready to crash.

--------------------
Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

MauserRifle
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: U.S.A.
Re: .40 caliber dilemma ? [Re: Bramble]
      #95021 - 23/01/08 03:21 PM

Bramble,

You are correct that no one can advise you on dealing with safety, but I value Your opinion and the opinions of others on this forum. I also appreciate everyone's imput.

From all the information I have received from you and everyone else it seems that it is safe to build a .404 Jeffery on a standard length Mauser action. This appeals to me as I prefer Mauser Rifles to Winchester rifles. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes concerning Winchester rifle, it is just that my preference are Mauser's.

You have given VERY SOUND ADVICE as to having the receiver hardness checked and action magnafluxed. I also appreciate the figures concerning Max allowable pounds of thrust dealing with bolt/action lug sheer. Your comparision between a .416 Taylor and the .404 Jeffery is very interesting and information I did not have available. I do appreciate the information.

I do understand that you nor anyone else here are trying to convince me one way or another, but are only providing information to help me make a sound decision. For all of this information I am very appreciative.

--------------------
Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8479

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com