Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9.3 x ??? question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 9.3 x ??? question [Re: Nakihunter]
      #90623 - 05/12/07 09:51 AM

One thing people tend to do when turning necks, is to make them fit the chamber necks more closely than factory brass of that size is. Tighter fitting necks, of course, means the turning tolerances must be tighter as well. I was referring to inside reaming to turn the brass into factory spec. neck thickness for that round, which would be on the order of .010" to .012" thickness.
; Runout is more often caused by dies bending the brass during sizing, rather than by neck thickening.
; The time to check brass runnout on the outside of the necks and case neck thickness with a ball mic is just after firing. That will tell you if the necks are out of sync and therefore runnout is bad as a result. I've done a lot of case forming and not had trouble with thickening necks.
; .358 Winchster brass is easily made from .308, 7mm/08, .260 Rem. and .243 brass, without needing to turn or ream, ever. It's cheap enough that $50.00 or $60.00 worth will last a lifetime, well, almost, when you include range pick-ups.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: 9.3 x ??? question [Re: Nakihunter]
      #90624 - 05/12/07 09:52 AM

Yes, if I were to do a "9x57" I would cheat and use a .358" barrel for the sake of bullet availability.

I already have that advantage with my little Francotte DR, as it has .358" grooves. I'm loading the Hornady 250 grain round nose in it. I form my brass from .444 Marlin without a hitch. THere's plenty of chamber to accommodate the larger bullet and the necked-down brass without reaming or turning.

By the way, if anybody is intersted in a dandy small ring Mauser action, I have a friend with a couple of really good Mexican Mauser actions. He had intended custom projects but got side-tracked and now, I think, will sell them. If there is an interest, I'll inquire about the price. I think they would be pretty reasonable.

The Mexican Mauser can be made into a fine custom project.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 9.3 x ??? question [Re: CptCurl]
      #90625 - 05/12/07 09:55 AM

A further note about making brass form other ctgs. - one must be aware of and know how to deal with the dreaded little donut.
; The donut appears at the juncture of the old neck and shoulder. If that spot now is located in the neck of the new chambering, inside reaming, or seating a bullet (or spud) and turning it off is the only way to remove it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 9.3 x ??? question [Re: CptCurl]
      #90657 - 05/12/07 01:43 PM

Quote:

Yes, if I were to do a "9x57" I would cheat and use a .358" barrel for the sake of bullet availability.

The Swedes cheated for me. My Model 146 Husqvarna 9.3x57 goes .369 across the grooves. A somewhat excessive groove depth doesn't seem too uncommon amongst older Euro rifles, so you would be following something of a tradition. If lands hovered around .348 or so, you should just fine accuracy from jacketed 9mm bullets, too.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11527

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com