Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: escard]
      #97144 - 21/02/08 12:43 AM

Quote:

the 98´s system is built to suite the 9,3x62 perfectly - why bother with a reconstructed ´96 ?

Escard: Alot of them are coming in to USA and Canada right now and are very light, handy rifles that even if punishing with heavy loads, will like lightning on almost all game that walks with a slightly more comfortable load like a 286 grain bullet at 2200 fps.

I don't think anyone is having custom x62's built on 96 actions or if they are they are rare birds. These imports to Canuckland and Yankeedom are Swede castaways and the fellows that are buying them like them alot from what I read.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #97179 - 21/02/08 07:16 AM

Oh - yeah - think I will have to buy a couple more and I really don't mind the M46 rather than the M146.(M96vsM98)
; The model 46 will allow seating bullets to overall lengths consistant with crimp grooves on the bullets that have them and normally for those that don't, even in 9.3x62 chambering.
; The M46's aren't converted military rifles, but sporters made from the ground up by Husky.
; If you want to push the envelope, then by all means buy the M146 with the large ring action.
; The water case capacity of 2, once fired, 9.3x62 Sako cases that I measured was 78gr. with a .454" shoulder.
: As you can see, it is virtually an Improved design case that goes way back to when Ackley was a kid.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #98721 - 08/03/08 02:38 PM

I want to ask your help, you seem to know quite abit about the husky m46 in 9.3x57. I've been picking at my wife that I want to spend my hunting bonus money on one and tonight she finally said alright(I've been smiling all night). If it doesn't change it should be $300 so I'm looking at sarco since there prices seem a little lower(I need dies, brass, etc. also). I was wondering if you would mind looking at their website and pointing me in the right direction.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/rifles.html

If you click on the husky blowout you can look there and scroll down as there are many listed just all spread out. I'm looking for one much like yours light, trim, unscoped 9.3x57. I plan on ordering over the phone b/c i'm going to pay the extra $25 for the hand select. I'm hoping for one with an excellent bore and uncracked stock. I'll probably spend a little more that 300 I believe, but it shouldn't me much more. anyways thanks.

Oh yeah do you know the difference in the hi-power b/c it says they weight 7.75lb, but it also says the 9.3 is a small ring so I wouldn't think it would weight that much. It is 299, but I would possibly go ahead and get it if you guys fill that is the better rifle. I would prefer a lighter rifle though(<6lb)

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: gathumper]
      #98724 - 08/03/08 02:55 PM

GATHUMPER:

Unless I can visit SARCO and handle the rifle in question, I will not buy from them. It is possible that they have rifles that are in good shape, but my experience has been so poor that I would not trust their description even if it is detailed. IF you were able to make a trip to SARCO and look through the rifles in stock, or if you knew someone locally who could do this legwork for you, then the odds would be in your favor.

Allan's Armory has been in my experience a far better place to spend money. Allan typically describes his rifles in detail, and if you call and ask specific questions about a specific rifle, he can give you details in specific. Actually, the rifles are quite closely priced as well.

I ignore any description that may be given on the SARCO site.

Due to varying weights of stock wood, the guns can weigh a pound or so one way or the other. Trimming the factory stock will obviously lighten the weight also, and is the reason my 46 is as light as it is.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gathumper
.224 member

#98751 - 08/03/08 09:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I understand the stock weight will vary. I would shave it down if it comes in as sharp as you described earlier and I will be backing the barrel length down to somewhere between 20-22 inches, so that should help. Theer list at sarco has shortened, but they had some rifles described as excellent bores, no cracks, good condition for $165. I have read before that you didn't put much stock in there descriptions so I was going to call in and see if someone could actually put there hands on the rifle of that description and I had there word it was as listed. I would pay the extra $25 for hand select with the understanding that if it wasn't up to par i would not pay for the shipping and I would need a refund. I had read on another sight where a guy got a bad gun, he did say however that they were willing to send him another one with no shipping charges. Anyway i was expecting to pay them $200 or less and I didn't remember seeing any from allan's armory under $300, but I will definately look again if that's what I need to do. I would rather have to wait and buy the loading supplies than not have a gun worth shooting.

If I do go with sarco a rifle listed as a small ring 96, 9.3 should be a model 46 correct?

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

9.3x57
.450 member

#98759 - 09/03/08 01:08 AM

gathumper:

If you decide to roll the dice with SARCO, maybe first get some form of guarantee that you can send the rifle back if it turns out to be a lemon or otherwise not to your liking.

It is NOT true that a "rifle listed as a small-ring 96, 9.3" is a Model 46.

It would be a 46 if it were a Husqvarna factory-built rifle in original condition, built as a commercial sporter. But some of the rifles that are coming in are Vapen Depoten or Stiga rebuilds/sporterized milsurp action rifles. Some of these are really nice rifles but obviously would not be HVA's and not model 46's.

I am trying my best to help you here, but I won't comment on a description on the SARCO site, or on a model designation or even on a picture shown on their site. I personally have no confidence that what they are showing or describing is in fact what you will receive in the mail. Yes, that is based purely on my experience with them. I have never dealt with a company like them. Problems can occur with any dealer of course, but in my opinion some seem intent on making it standard practice. I do not want to see you get burned and I wouldn't want to be part of it.

Best is to inspect the gun before buying, or at the very least get a guarantee that you can ship it back if it isn't what you wanted. You might do well.

Remember, these Swede castaways are here for a reason; they are just that, castaways. Swedish law essentally limits the number of firearms that may be owned. If that limit is reached and another gun desired to be purchased, one has to go, and it is a safe bet that the best gun in the rack isn't going to get shipped to Yankdom and Canuckville. The funny twist to all of this is that some of the rifles coming in are in excellent condition and many of those that have some warts nevertheless have excellent bores and are excellent rifles once some issue or two is resolved. The probability is that you will have some level of damage {cracked stock, etc} that will have to be addressed. That is the case regardless of the source from which you buy. My personal experience with Allan has been excellent, and he has an excellent reputation on the Swedish Commercial Arms site. Is is possible that you could get a lemon from him? Sure, but my experience has been predictably excellent with him.

As for SARCO, I feel a bit like I'm playing Russian Roulette with 5 chambers loaded.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#98763 - 09/03/08 01:47 AM

If you can get a 9.3x57 or 9.3x62 for under $275.00 in descent condition, that is a good price indeed. I would be skeptical on a mail-order for less than $300.00 - except for tradex, of course. My 9.3 was considerably better than I imagined from the descriptor they gave.

--------------------
Daryl

gathumper
.224 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #98799 - 09/03/08 10:43 AM

Thanks for the words of wisdom, tough decision...I have about 2 wks until I get the check so I guess I'll give it some thought. I just looked at allan armory's website and they didn't seem to have too many 9.3's in the 96 action. I'll probably end up giving sarco a call and see about some kind of refund policy. Thanks again guys.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

DarylS
.700 member

#98859 - 10/03/08 03:19 AM

tradeexcanada has several hundred - maybe several hundred more than that. Maybe Anthony got most of them.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21194

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com