Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92517 - 24/12/07 05:10 AM

A fellow from up here sent me a message about the site in Quebec, tradeexcanada.com that has a LOT of swedes in 9.3x57 - all great prices and many with excellent bores and condition. These are sporters, of course. There is also one or two 9.3x62's in the lot long with .30/06's and 8x57's.
; Unfortunately, they only sell here.
: My point is, that since they have a 9.3x62 and many in .30/06 chamberings in the m96 Swede actions, then of course it's possible to barrel or chamber one up. Until now, I'd thought the action's magazine too short - perhaps not.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #92526 - 24/12/07 07:12 AM

Daryl, yes, Tradex is reported to be an excellent source for the Swede rifle in Canada. In fact, based on my experience with SARCO, and the guns reportedly purchased from Tradex on the Swede forum, I think Tradex is the better source, but as you say, limited to Canada.

Allan's Armory in the USA is an excellent source for the Swede guns.

Husqvarna made quite a few factory 9.3x62's. And...the magazines are too short for many factory 9.3x62 loads. I do not believe the Husqvarna book even makes mention of "why". Speculation of course, but I suspect the reason is merely the economics of available actions at the time the guns wre made. Shooters just made-do. I do not know what the OAL was of commonly available Norma ammo at the time these guns were made. Maybe some loads fit at that time?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: gathumper]
      #92616 - 25/12/07 04:11 PM

Quote:

9.3, ... Stuart, How much does your gun weight without a scope?

Sorry not to have got back to you. I've been off the forum for a while. The rifle hasn't arrived yet, but I'm expecting it late this week or early next week. I only have an ancient balance scale here but I'll load her on and see. The previous owner described it as "quite a thumper" so I suspect it is a bit on the light side, but I believe he only shot it from the bench. I doubt it will be as muscular as my Marlin 1895 with medium-stiff loads, though.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Stuart]
      #92661 - 26/12/07 10:47 AM

Stuart, your battery sounds familiar...

I too have a Marlin 1895. I'll be interested in hearing what you think about the two. With 285 grain bullets at 2050 fps, my light 9.3 feels to me to kick much like the heavier Marlin with 300 grain loads in the 1800 fps velocity range and MUCH less than the Marlin with 400 grain bullets in the 1600 fps range.

My stock mods keep the comb off my face, and that is where much comfort is obtained.

Please report!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Stuart
.275 member

#92941 - 30/12/07 10:22 AM

Quote:

Stuart, How much does your gun weight without a scope?

gathumper,

I just picked it up this afternoon. According to the Very Ancient Balance Scale that I have, it appears to weigh about 6 1/2 lbs. Another good reason NOT to convert it to a 9.3x62, methinks! Even as a 9.3x57 I think it will be somewhat energetic and might profit from a little weight added to the stock, although this won't be easy, given the slim forearm and schnabel tip. But I'll hold off on that until I've got dies, brass and bullets and have had a chance to shoot it.

It is very trim and light and appears in v. good shape. The trigger is quite nice, too, with a little creep but a crisp let-off.

It came with an un-named side mount as well, with only the number "23" on it. FAR too high to use in any case!

I was surprised to find that it is a "cock-on-close" action. I thought that was pretty well the domain of the SMLE and P-14. Also that the rear sight is fixed, being adj. only for windage, and that only by means of a drift punch. Like my ex-military M-S sporter, I'd like to replace it but being on a barrel band this could be tricky.

I am also curious about the rear of the bolt:

Does anyone know the purpose of that tubular hole? Might it be for an aperture sight?

Stuart

--------------------

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #92946 - 30/12/07 11:04 AM

The Mauser M96 was always a cock on closing action & can be converted to cock on opening with a kit. The 6.5 X 55 Swedes are converted very commonly here in New Zealand. The hole on you bolt looks like the place where the wing safety has come out of.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Stuart
.275 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Nakihunter]
      #92952 - 30/12/07 11:42 AM

Quote:

…The hole on your bolt looks like the place where the wing safety has come out of.

Yes, I realized that AFTER I sent the message! Still, an aperture sight there is an intrigung thought, although it would have to be some sort of custom job. Maybe when I get my milling machine I'll scratch my head around it for a while.

Stuart

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #92963 - 30/12/07 12:10 PM

Stuart

There is a thread out there about the repro cocking piece peeps that Rusty has made. I bought one from him and it is very nice. Save you a lot of time and aggro.

Regards

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Bramble]
      #92967 - 30/12/07 12:35 PM

Stewart - the hole you are referring to, IS where the military safety WAS, not just looks like it. Remove the safety and you get that hole - exactly.
: I did notice that the canadian site also had several .30/06's on M96 actions. I found that quite interesting, and cannot understand how that could be without removing material from the lower rear locking lug of the action and perhaps extending the magazine. I'll have to look at my M96 to se what the maximum action length actually it. I know it handles my 6.5x55's with the bullets seated well out of the case for overall lengths over 3".
: Perhaps the original question on whether or not a 9.3x62 could br chambered up in one of these actions isn't such a bad idea, afterall?
: One thing is certain, that the 9.3 X 57 factory ammo pretty much duplicates original the 1920's 9.3x62 factory ammo of 286gr. running somewhat less than 2,200fps. That's the load that John Taylor spoke so highly of with both softs and solids on all African game.

--------------------
Daryl

Stuart
.275 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Bramble]
      #92973 - 30/12/07 01:37 PM

Quote:

Stuart

There is a thread out there about the repro cocking piece peeps that Rusty has made. I bought one from him and it is very nice. Save you a lot of time and aggro.

Regards

Darn, I vaguely remember that. Must try to find it. EDIT: FOUND IT. "Rusty Marlin" in VA.

Daryl: as to the chambering, I'm going to leave it as a 9.3x57. If I get to hunt with it, I'd probably look into the 250 gr (?)Barnes TSX, which apparently provide similar performance to the 286's but with slightly higher velocity.

Due to other pressing things to do, I won't get a chance to fire the old girl up for a while, so I have lots of time to plan how I want to proceed.

Stuart

--------------------

Edited by Stuart (30/12/07 01:46 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#92974 - 30/12/07 01:47 PM

The rear sight may, of course be filed to zero.

The quintessential rear sight on one of these things is the original HVA jaktdiopter, semi-Ghost-Ring type peep sight.

I have one on my 46, shown below. Maybe try Tradex and see if they have any?

Nothing beats a 5 1/2 pound 9.3x57 for chaing our scrawny bruins up the mountain!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#92988 - 31/12/07 12:37 AM

5.5 pounds - I had no idea they were that light. Even my sporterized 6.5x55 outdoes that by 2 pounds. I-too would leave it as a 57mm case.
; Some of the rifles at tradeex already have peeps installed.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #92992 - 31/12/07 01:08 AM

Daryl, thanks for posting. Those peep sights are pricey and VERY difficult to find here in the USA, so if you our Northern Brothers can latch on to some thru this Tradex outfit, you are fortunate. The sight is very simple and useful.

I have never even looked up "Tradex" website as from all the good I've heard about it I don't think I really want to know WHAT they have for sale since I can't get any of it anyhow!! Grrr...

As for the weight, my rifle was light when I got it {the 94 action is much trimmer than a 98 and makes for a lighter rifle + barrel contour is trimmer}.

However, if you look at the comb in the picture, you can see that a lot of wood was removed. I totally reshaped the comb to make it suitable for left-shoulder shooting. These guns typically have knife-edge combs that even right-handers say bite the face hard, and since there is some cast-off on the stock, they REALLY cut & whack a lefty who has to lean a bit over the comb to get a good sight picture.

I took a hoof rasp to the comb and files, sandpaper and stock finish later it not only doesn't smack me but there is almost not recoil bit to the face at all, the sights line right up, and the rifle is that much lighter. I have done this to all my HVA's.

As a lefty, I like cock on closing, as the primary compression of the mainspring doesn't have to be overcome until the weight of the arm is behind the bolt in closing.

--------------------

Stuart
.275 member

#93007 - 31/12/07 04:52 AM

Quote:

… The quintessential rear sight on one of these things is the original HVA jaktdiopter, semi-Ghost-Ring type peep sight.

That is the very sight I'd like. In fact I was looking up such things last night and found several references, but of course no product!

On the "Swedish & Civilian" Gunboards forum, in a thread by "jnmullin" called "Just got a Husky" I discovered there was another similar one by Hellqvist, with protective ears either side, but still quite low profile:

I think I'd still prefer the first one, though.

Stuart

--------------------

gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
      #96765 - 15/02/08 08:38 AM

Sorry, you all have probably already forgot this thread...my computer crashed and I just got it back. I would love to have a 9.3x57 hva that weights under 6lb. If the 7.75lb ones that SARCO has are model 146, where can I find a good model 46 like yours?

"Husky 96 small ring action 9.3mm - excellent bore not drilled, good condition"...is the description of the rifles and these actually don't list the weight. Does this sound like a model 46? I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they have a weight for these.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

Edited by gathumper (15/02/08 09:06 AM)

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #96768 - 15/02/08 09:15 AM

The ones at SARCO are both 96 action and 98 action. You are more likely to find a 96.
I, like 9ThreeXFifty7, have both action types. Both are very light compared to the typical US sporters.
The Euro guns are for real field carry and hunting. It seems that weight is kept to a minimum. Maybe because so many rifles in the US don't ever really make it past a shooting bench at the range or a rest in a blind. If you need to hoof it through real wilderness, fields and hills, the light weight is very appreciated. Even my three barrel drillings don't tip a 7 pound scale.
9.3X57 is a great hunter caliber.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

gathumper
.224 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #96769 - 15/02/08 09:29 AM

I was just wondering cause they have the gun I listed the description for at $165 and the same discription basically for another at $299, they just call it a hi-power. is that the difference in the 46 and the 146? The one hi-power is the one that weights 7.75lbs.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #96776 - 15/02/08 11:29 AM

I can't be sure. I have looked at them as well. I bought both of mine at Sarco a few years ago. I believe the hi-power is a later model. Mine have the older classic stocks. schnable short forends, slim but stocks and wrists. The 46 has a "bag" type rounded grip. Both are untapped for scopes.
Barrel band with forward swivels. Two leaf rear sights. The barrels are about 25 inches and nice sporter taper.
I believe the 46 (96 action) is the lighter of the two. I still want to find one in standard 8mm to go with them.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

9.3x57
.450 member

#96789 - 15/02/08 03:49 PM

Quote:

If the 7.75lb ones that SARCO has are model 146, where can I find a good model 46 like yours?

"Husky 96 small ring action 9.3mm - excellent bore not drilled, good condition"...is the description of the rifles and these actually don't list the weight. Does this sound like a model 46?

A couple things...

First, if it is a small ring military-type thumbslotted 96 {94} action and it is a factory Husqvarna sporter, it is the M46.

Second, based on my experience and in my opinion, a gun so described by SARCO may be an actual 46, or it might be a Vapen Depoten or STIGA "factory sporterized" 96 {not bad guns, actually}, or it might be a piece of a toenail clipping from Paris Hilton's butler's uncle. I HATE dealing with SARCO and in my opinion unless you can actually SEE and HANDLE the gun before buying, you are far better off giving your money to a Bombay beggar to invest in the New York State Lottery.

Having said that, you MIGHT score! I did with my 146 which was essentially brand new when I got it. But subsequent adventures with SARCO have inclined me toward never having anything to do with them ever again, or longer even.

If you are a real player, and love the thrill of race car driving without a seatbelt, skydiving without a reserve chute, or playing Russian Roullete with one round in the chamber of an automatic pistol, roll the dice on a shootin' iron from SARCO.

Of course, if the things cost $150-$200 how badly hurt can you get? Seriously, if you have the right Mississippi Riverboat Gambler perspective on things, you can have fun wheeling and dealing with Sorry Sarco, but if you want a case-closed, promises-kept, honest-to-goodness Model 46 with the warts described accurately, you are better off dealing with Allan's Armory in my opinion and in my experience. This is my opinion based on my experiences.

A Model 46 will probably weight somewhere around 6 1/2 lbs. I shaved the weight off mine from stock work. If you get a good one, I think you will really like it! Keep us posted as to how it all pans out!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#96818 - 16/02/08 03:29 AM

Just weighted my 9.3x57 M46 Husky - without sling or ammo on the butt, 7lbs.3ounces. With sling and 5 rounds, 7 pounds 15 ounces. It seems as light as a feather to me as my normal hunting rifle for all day packing was 9 pounds and that wasn't a chore at all.
: The rear sight on ine is a single standing blade - no leafs. It had a "U" notch, that I filed out to a shallow "V", which I very much prefer for a hunting sight. The "U" notch was way too small to be taken seriously. Even in the shop, it was only useful if a sight were taken on a well lit wall, otherwise is wasn't visible.

--------------------
Daryl

gathumper
.224 member

#96854 - 16/02/08 11:30 AM

Thank you,

So a small ring 96 husquvarna is a m46...that helps. The gun will be a scabbard gun on my horse and I think it will make an excellent hog/bear gun over hounds(mainly cause I prefer a bolt action over a lever). I would probably shorten the barrel to 20". 9.3, yours is a handsome rifle. I love the stock.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

9.3x57
.450 member

#96859 - 16/02/08 01:46 PM

Quote:

Thank you,

So a small ring 96 husquvarna is a m46...that helps. The gun will be a scabbard gun on my horse and I think it will make an excellent hog/bear gun over hounds(mainly cause I prefer a bolt action over a lever). I would probably shorten the barrel to 20". 9.3, yours is a handsome rifle. I love the stock.

gathumper:

Honestly, you couldn't pick a better rifle for your intentions. If you get a good one you will really like it!!!

It is common for these guns to need some TLC. Remember, they are HERE because some Swede didn't want it anymore. Some such gun control law over there places a limit on the number of guns that can be possessed, so if the limit is reached and one comes in, one has to go out.

My 46 has a scandalous history. It is a crossbreed; Model 46 6.5x55 stock mated with a Model 46 9.3x57 barrelled action.

--------------------

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
      #97049 - 19/02/08 04:47 PM

We have a source for commercial Husqvarnas. The Mod 98 9.3 x 57's are $395 and the 8 x 57 (98's) are $295. All very nice shape. I forget what the 96's run. I have a couple 96's in 9.3 x 62 I am restocking now. One even has claw mounts.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 98 & 96 actions for 9.3x62 [Re: Peterb]
      #97063 - 20/02/08 02:21 AM

Those prices are a bit high, but then they are still pretty good compared to new rifles.

--------------------
Daryl

escard
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: austria-europe
      #97117 - 20/02/08 05:09 PM

the 98´s system is built to suite the 9,3x62 perfectly - why bother with a reconstructed ´96 ?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21205

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com