Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 458 Lott on a standard length action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: 458 Lott on a standard length action [Re: wellplugger]
      #71722 - 16/02/07 11:39 PM

something to consider.......you can make a rifle to feed the 458 win mag round but chamber for the Lott! In this way you hunt with a .458 Lott round in the chamber but win mags in the magazine. Your first round is the main one I suspect anyway.......I doubt that many would choose this option but it's a doable option and if time permits one can manually feed Lott rounds individually

In fact today there's very little difference in the Win Mag and Lott rounds!

I'd really challenge one to ask if the difference is worth it!!!! If one needs more than the 458 Win Mag maybe he should be looking at something on the 416 Rigby case.

The standard '98 Mauser can be used for the Lott but as Grains says......spend themoney on an action designed for it in the first place.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
Re: 458 Lott on a standard length action [Re: vapodog]
      #71747 - 17/02/07 06:54 AM

vapodog,

Thanks for the input. Your suggestion is interesting, but I think I need to stick with the "KISS" principal: "Keep It Simple Stupid". Me being simple minded, in the heat of battle, I would probably be trying to stuff lotts in on top of winmags and get myself stomped. Like you say, I think I will get an action built for the job rather than try to "make do" with something else.

Thanks again for your comments and good luck...............Lee

wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
Re: 458 Lott on a standard length action [Re: wellplugger]
      #79712 - 01/06/07 05:59 AM

As an update, I received the left hand Charles Daly action and was pleased with the fit and finish. I sent it off to David Gentry and had him install a 3-position safety. Very sleek and functional similar to the model 70.

After all that, I finally received my left hand Montana Rifle Co. Mod 1999 true magnum length action in stainless steel. It is a nice action as well. Only one issue I can see is that it comes with a 3-round magazine. I would prefer a 4+ round capacity. Sunny Hill makes one, but it costs almost as much as the action itself.

Anyway, I'm probably going to sell the Daly. If anyone is interested, PM me and we can talk.

Thanks..................Lee

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7821

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com