Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby
      #58025 - 31/05/06 03:49 AM

A member sent me an email with a Sotheby's catalogue extract and asked me to post it.

Unfortunately I can not access the Sotheby's page for the photo, but maybe someone here can?

Here is the info:

Fine Modern and Vintage Sporting Guns and Rifles
SALE W03886 AUCTION DATE

SESSION 1 | 12 Dec 03 2:00 PM.
LOCATION London, Olympi

LOT 1

a - JOHN RIGBY & CO
AN EXACT REPLICA OF JIM CORBETT'S .275 BOLT ACTION SPORTING RIFLE, NO. 2518

2,500—3,500 GBP
Lot Sold. Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 3,840 GBP
MEASUREMENTS

weight
7lb. 9oz.

DESCRIPTION

DETAILED DESCRIPTION
25-inch barrel with raised hooded foresight, folding express sights to 500, plain Mauser Oberndorf receiver, bolt with flag safety, the half length figured stock with pistol grip, inlet with silver presentation plaque inscribed Presented To Mr J.G. Corbett By Sir J.P.Hewett K.C.S.I. Lieutenant Governor Of United Provinces In Recognition Of His Having Killed A Man-Eating Tigress At Champawat In 1907, 14 1/2 inch pull, nitro proof, in its full length leather case with makers accesories

CATALOGUE NOTE

The rifle is the last of three exact replica's of Jim Corbett's original .275 Rigby rifle. The serial number of this rifle is two removed from that of the original Corbett rifle, and all of its characteristic features have been duplicated in this rifle, that was originaly delivered in 1908. The silver presentation plaque let in to the stock is an exact copy of that on the original rifle.

Jim Corbett is perhaps the most famous of all of the Hunters and naturalist's in India and is best known for his exploits, hunting man eating tigers and leopard. Born in 1875, the eighth son of a postmaster, he worked as a store keeper, a labour contractor, A Captain in the First World War and he trained soldiers in the art of jungle warfare in the Second World War. He made his mark as a hunter and is best known for his abilitys to track man eaters. Whenever a man eater threatened a village, "Carpet Sahib" was summoned. Moving on foot for days and weeks, often on steep winding trails, Corbett became the saviour of the hill folk of Kumaon and Garthwal.

Jim Corbet could read the jungle signs like an open book, when stalking he would use the wind just as predators do, either to conceal or reveal his presence. He could easily read the sounds of the animals and imitate them to perfection, using his vocal chords to lure an animal. Two man eaters shot by him were corned using this ability. He published many books during his lifetime, all today considered as classics and perhaps the best know and most famous is "Man Eaters of Kumaon", published in 1946. He left India in 1947 and died in Kenya in 1955.

http://search.sothebys.com/jsps/live/event/EventDetail.jsp?event_id=26400

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skeetshooter1
.224 member

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Scotland U.K.
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: NitroX]
      #58030 - 31/05/06 04:16 AM

If you go to the sotheby's link and register with your e-mail address and a password it will allow you full access to their website including all the past auction catologues. The Rigby gun was sold in the London auction of 12 December 2003 so if you search auction results you will find it, it was lot number 1

good luck and good hunting

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: skeetshooter1]
      #58672 - 12/06/06 10:13 AM

nitrox, if my memory is ok ,check gun digest somewhere in the 80s i think they did an article on rigby and i think there is a piocture of the replica corbett rifle, right now thad scott has what i think is the original for sale at 27k,i have seen these rifles when i went to rigbys in england 12 years ago
paul roberts was there .......paul

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#58678 - 12/06/06 01:41 PM

In reply to:

A member sent me an email with a Sotheby's catalogue extract and asked me to post it.

Unfortunately I can not access the Sotheby's page for the photo, but maybe someone here can?

Sorry the relevant quotation from my first post. I have no interest in registering with Sotheby's to access the photos at the moment. A member wished them posted.

However I am interested in photos of the original rifles if they exist anywhere.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #58902 - 16/06/06 01:17 PM

nitrox, the 1986 gun digest on p.133 has a pic, of this rifle i have one biult in 1906 that is identical i,ll try to post a picture out of the gun digest .........paul

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
      #264509 - 03/05/15 04:00 PM

I managed to see the real deal the other day it was presented to me and was allowed handle it some history here it came with its org carry case and tags named.

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: lapua]
      #264513 - 03/05/15 06:36 PM

I thought Corbett's .275 was a Westley Richards?

--------------------

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: Ash]
      #264514 - 03/05/15 06:52 PM

Didn't he have a Rigby and a WR?
In 275 /7x57.

lapua
.333 member

Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: 375Brno]
      #264515 - 03/05/15 06:59 PM

The rifle is a RIGBY !

Jim also shot other rifles as well by other makers.

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #264516 - 03/05/15 07:12 PM

Quote:

The rifle is a RIGBY !

For Lapua.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #264631 - 06/05/15 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The rifle is a RIGBY !

For Lapua.

There is a bit of a mystery here. The Rigby was purportedly presented to Corbett in 1908. Corbett purchased a Westley Richards .275 at Manton's in Calcutta in 1910. He used that rifle in his attempt to shoot the "Temple Tiger" that same year. He wasn't successful his first attempt because he was unfamiliar with the Westley's two-stage trigger.

Perhaps the Rigby had a single-stage trigger, or Corbett never used the rifle. Apparently he would examine a rifle and never test the trigger! I don't see how that could be, but the evidence is clear. The Westley must have been a superb rifle for him to purchase it whilst having a presentation Rigby back in his gun room.

Another possibility is that the Rigby was actually presented sometime later than 1908. Maybe after 1910?

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #264636 - 07/05/15 01:22 AM

I think you're probably right that the Rigby was presented later, although he may have just not wanted to use the presentation gun? I don't think Jim was really a lover of fine rifles, but more the sort who buys something functional of good quality and uses it for a very long time.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: mckinney]
      #264638 - 07/05/15 02:19 AM

Quote:

I think you're probably right that the Rigby was presented later, although he may have just not wanted to use the presentation gun? I don't think Jim was really a lover of fine rifles, but more the sort who buys something functional of good quality and uses it for a very long time.

I ran across something while comparing the Temple Tiger account with the Panar leopard account. Apparently, he first started after the Panar leopard in 1909, although most of his chase occurred in 1910. He states that a few months previous to starting his shikar, he visited Manton's and bought the W-R rifle. This could place the acquisition of the W-R sometime in 1908 or early in 1909.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #264640 - 07/05/15 02:36 AM

This may have been answered in another thread, but do we know where the Westley is now?

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
      #264708 - 08/05/15 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The rifle is a RIGBY !

For Lapua.

There is a bit of a mystery here. The Rigby was purportedly presented to Corbett in 1908. Corbett purchased a Westley Richards .275 at Manton's in Calcutta in 1910. He used that rifle in his attempt to shoot the "Temple Tiger" that same year. He wasn't successful his first attempt because he was unfamiliar with the Westley's two-stage trigger.

Perhaps the Rigby had a single-stage trigger, or Corbett never used the rifle. Apparently he would examine a rifle and never test the trigger! I don't see how that could be, but the evidence is clear. The Westley must have been a superb rifle for him to purchase it whilst having a presentation Rigby back in his gun room.

Another possibility is that the Rigby was actually presented sometime later than 1908. Maybe after 1910?

From memory he took the rifle out the same day he received it without test shooting it. Not so unlikely as it sounds as the rifle would have been regulated for their ammo at the factory. English gentlemen didn't need to sight their new rifles in if they didn't want to....

There may be reasons why he bought a Westley-Richards .275 while already owning the Rigby presentation rifle that we cannot imagine now. It is possible that he may have considered it disrespectful to Sir Hewett to get the Rigby scratched by hunting in the jungle with it. English society had all kinds of strictures around behaviour and doing the 'proper' thing back in those days. Perhaps more so with Anglo-Indians as they related to British born people in authority. I can imagine his keeping the presentation Rigby in the case and only bringing it out shooting when invited with people of substance or with Sir Hewett himself.
The Rigby may have given him a taste for a fine .275 of 'his own', inspiring the buying of the WR rifle.
I am only imagining.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #264719 - 08/05/15 11:27 PM

What he actually says is: "Some months previously I had been to Calcutta on a short visit and one morning walked into Manton's, the gunmaker's shop. On a glass showcase near the door was a rifle. I was looking at the weapon when the manager, who was an old friend of mine, came up. He informed me that the rifle, a .275 by Westley Richards, was a new model which the makers were anxious to introduce on the Indian market for hill shooting. The rifle was a beauty and the manager had little difficulty in persuading me to buy it on the understanding that if it did not suit me I would be at liberty to return it. So when I set out with my village friend that evening to shoot his jarao with horns as big as the branches of an oak tree, I was carrying my brand-new rifle.

...The rifle I was carrying was sighted to 500 yards and guaranteed to be dead accurate..."

Note that this Westley Richards .275 was sighted to 500 yards. I believe he acquired this rifle in 1909 or even 1908, since he started the Panar leopard hunt in 1909. He hunted with another .275, a Rigby, which may be the one that was sighted to 300 yds. This may have even been the presentation rifle!

The rifles he mentions in his hunting stories are:
1. Martini Henry .577/.450
2. Jones action .500 Modified Cordite double (ref. Champawat Tiger)
3. Jeffery 450/400 double
4. Westley Richards .275 (ref. Temple Tiger, sighted to 500 yds., acquired cir. 1908 or 1909)
5. Rigby .275 rifle sighted to 300 yds.(ref. Talla Des Tiger, acquired cir. 1908 or 1909; this may be the presentation rifle)
6. .450 (double?; this, may in fact, be the Martini Henry .577/.450)

So which .275 did he get first, the Westley Richards or the Rigby? I don't know, but probably close together.

Edited by Carpetsahib (09/05/15 11:23 PM)

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
      #264738 - 09/05/15 12:16 PM

So did he get the WR .275 first then?

--------------------

Alaskanrocket
.224 member

Reged: 04/02/15
Loc: Alaska
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: Ash]
      #264924 - 14/05/15 04:06 AM

Call me crazy but, I assume these were leaf sights, how does one sight in leaf sights to 500 yards. I have no doubt the ability of a .275 to be accurate at that range but who's eyes are? They must have been shooting a pretty large target, I have good eyesight but at 500 yards I can't picture being able to line up on a target, maybe I've been doing something wrong......

lapua
.333 member

Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: Alaskanrocket]
      #264973 - 15/05/15 12:56 AM

FYI
Since I have handle the rifle and had plenty of time looking over it I can say it was well used with good wear marks on it and the org sling is very well used ! Same with the Rigby gun case that came with the .275

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#264994 - 15/05/15 11:00 AM

Quote:

FYI
Since I have handle the rifle and had plenty of time looking over it I can say it was well used with good wear marks on it and the org sling is very well used ! Same with the Rigby gun case that came with the .275

So how is the rifle sighted? Up to 300 yds., or more?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#274590 - 05/12/15 10:53 AM

John Rigby & Co
An exact replica of Jim Corbett's .275 bolt action sporting rifle, no. 2518
25-inch barrel with raised hooded foresight, folding express sights to 500, plain Mauser Oberndorf receiver, bolt with flag safety, the half length figured stock with pistol grip, inlet with silver presentation plaque inscribed Presented To Mr J.G. Corbett By Sir J.P.Hewett K.C.S.I. Lieutenant Governor Of United Provinces In Recognition Of His Having Killed A Man-Eating Tigress At Champawat In 1907, 14 1/2 inch pull, nitro proof, in its full length leather case with makers accesories
7lb. 9oz.

Catalogue Note

The rifle is the last of three exact replica's of Jim Corbett's original .275 Rigby rifle. The serial number of this rifle is two removed from that of the original Corbett rifle, and all of its characteristic features have been duplicated in this rifle, that was originaly delivered in 1908. The silver presentation plaque let in to the stock is an exact copy of that on the original rifle.

Jim Corbett is perhaps the most famous of all of the Hunters and naturalist's in India and is best known for his exploits, hunting man eating tigers and leopard. Born in 1875, the eighth son of a postmaster, he worked as a store keeper, a labour contractor, A Captain in the First World War and he trained soldiers in the art of jungle warfare in the Second World War. He made his mark as a hunter and is best known for his abilitys to track man eaters. Whenever a man eater threatened a village, "Carpet Sahib" was summoned. Moving on foot for days and weeks, often on steep winding trails, Corbett became the saviour of the hill folk of Kumaon and Garthwal.

Jim Corbet could read the jungle signs like an open book, when stalking he would use the wind just as predators do, either to conceal or reveal his presence. He could easily read the sounds of the animals and imitate them to perfection, using his vocal chords to lure an animal. Two man eaters shot by him were corned using this ability. He published many books during his lifetime, all today considered as classics and perhaps the best know and most famous is "Man Eaters of Kumaon", published in 1946. He left India in 1947 and died in Kenya in 1955.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecat...3886/lot.1.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #274616 - 05/12/15 07:40 PM

Quote:

There may be reasons why he bought a Westley-Richards .275 while already owning the Rigby presentation rifle that we cannot imagine now. It is possible that he may have considered it disrespectful to Sir Hewett to get the Rigby scratched by hunting in the jungle with it. English society had all kinds of strictures around behaviour and doing the 'proper' thing back in those days. Perhaps more so with Anglo-Indians as they related to British born people in authority. I can imagine his keeping the presentation Rigby in the case and only bringing it out shooting when invited with people of substance or with Sir Hewett himself.
The Rigby may have given him a taste for a fine .275 of 'his own', inspiring the buying of the WR rifle.
I am only imagining.

I imagine this rifle sat in a pride of place on display in his den or knowing Corbett, in his tent.

Why did he have two .275's? Why do we sometimes have more than one rifle in a calibre? Perhaps his sister(s) hunted with one or guests on occasion? Perhaps the rifle was cheap and not to be turned down when it was available?

All sorts of possible reasons. No neccessary mystery about it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#274617 - 05/12/15 07:44 PM

Quote:

FYI

Lapua,

Was this in the UK or did the rifle end up in Perth?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lapua
.333 member

#278358 - 23/02/16 04:54 PM

No its at their office John. I was invited by Marc to sight it,I was not aware they had it was a total surprise,Marc said since you came all the way from Oz I have something to show no one else outsdie JB office knew ! Hows that very nce of him to trust me but I was allowed to handle the rifle and look over JC books etc and meet the smiths and view their workshop to see other rigby rifle's in progress what a blast ! Left Chq book at home

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #278608 - 29/02/16 07:08 AM

As I had the original .275 Rigby rifle, presented in 1907 by Sir Hewett to J.G.Corbett, in my hands just two days ago, here is a closer description: The rifle is built on a short intermediate action. The Mauser serial number dates the action to late 1904. The action has the usual "Waffenfabrik Mauser - Oberndorf a.N." inscription on the left receiver wall. The receiver ring is uninscribed on top. It's left side has the Mauser serial number, the Oberndorf BU and the London View proof marks. The barrel reinforce has 7mm and London proofmarks on the left. The open rear sight has one standard and two folding leaves, marked 100, 200 and 300. Forward of the rear sight is the Rigby, London address. The 1907 "Presented to Mr.J.G.Corbett …" plate is inlaid into the left side of the fiddleback figured butt. The rifle shows a lot of wear. There is no visible blueing left on any of the metal parts. The stock too shows a lot of wear, with a small crack at the top left of the hand. Checkering is worn almost smooth. Someone sometime tried to "fresh up" the checkering, but fortunately gave up after doing a few scratches on the left side of the pistol grip.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com