Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser Afrika models

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Mauser Afrika models
      #346131 - 25/10/20 01:37 AM

I'm sure this has come up on the forum and is probably in Speed's book, but what was the thinking at the time behind making these long barreled guns for use in the bush? Did they make the Afrika model in 10.75 or .404? The largest caliber I've seen is 9.3 x 62.

Same question on the 28 in barrels offered on some model A sporters. I have an 8x60 and a 6.5 Portuguese. What was the thinking and did they offer the 28 in barrel in 10.75 and .404? Was it only ever offered in the A type?

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: mckinney]
      #346139 - 25/10/20 06:29 AM

I would say the long barel was for shooting with iron sights
longer barrel - longer sighting line

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

LSHopper
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/13
Loc: AL
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: lancaster]
      #346189 - 26/10/20 09:37 AM

I think, 99.5%, that Mauser only chambered the 10.75x68 in their sporters. I have for sure seen an original Afrikan in that caliber and 28 inch barrel. I have also seen A's in 28" length.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: LSHopper]
      #346221 - 27/10/20 03:50 AM

I think the “African” model appealed to German and English who settled in East Africa where hunting on the open savannah meant longer shots than in the brush or hills.
I imagine a long barrel with a long forend was also much more agreeable to your tracker when you rested the rifle on his shoulder for the shot!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: Huvius]
      #346223 - 27/10/20 07:11 AM

I friend of mine here in Denmark had an Afrika Model Mauser in 10,75x68. I got to shoot it a few times. I think the gun has been posted here in NitroX forums.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #346228 - 27/10/20 10:40 AM

Quote:

I think the “African” model appealed to German and English who settled in East Africa where hunting on the open savannah meant longer shots than in the brush or hills.
I imagine a long barrel with a long forend was also much more agreeable to your tracker when you rested the rifle on his shoulder for the shot!

These are my thoughts as well. Most Europeans at the turn of the century era - 1900 that is - would think of the open veldt after the Boer War.

themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: Rule303]
      #346229 - 27/10/20 10:58 AM

A friend of mine has a long barreled full stock rifle, early pattern side panel stock in 10.75x68. I think the barrel is roughly 25”, so not of the same length or configuration as an Afrikan model, but similar and unusual.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: themauserkid]
      #346232 - 27/10/20 12:57 PM

I have one rebarreled to 8x68 by hammerli

Huvius
.416 member

Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: pjaln]
      #346259 - 28/10/20 11:25 AM

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #346268 - 28/10/20 03:00 PM

That is an interesting photo.

Does the long stock go to near her hand? But not to the muzzle. Can't tell from the photos. Will need to blow it up. Appears so.

I do like that configuration. A 8x68S in a very long barrel would be uber cool. Or a 9.3x64. Or a 7mm SEvH. And of course the 10.75x68.

Too many of these barrels in modern rifles are way too short, especially for magnum type cartridges, ,minimum 650 mm /26 inches, in factory barrels sometimes only 600/24 or even less. 28 inches would make use of the case volume. Even if one bumped into trees in the bush with it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: NitroX]
      #346270 - 28/10/20 04:04 PM

According to a price list for extras at added cost for the Mauser sporters with the 1937 Mauser catalogue, Mauser sporters could be had with a 700mm (27.56") barrel instead of the 600mm (23.62"). It seems that the longer barrel could be had with any of the sporters and wasn't just exclusive to any particular model other than the African model specifically came with the longer barrel.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: eagle27]
      #346274 - 28/10/20 08:30 PM

In my opinion, the name "African" does not relate to hunting or safari use in Africa but more particularly to the specifications established for a model intended for export to South Africa which favored a longer barrel and more sophisticated sighting so to be shot more accurately at longer range.
These variations are the heirs of the rifles used by the Boers in the Transvaal during their confrontation with the English troops.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: DORLEAC]
      #346290 - 29/10/20 10:30 AM

I-too like the longer barrels, John. That is why my .375 has a 26" bl. + muzzle break & I don't find the 28" too long.
My favourite carry rifle is the old Winchester M70 06 with 24" bl.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: DarylS]
      #346293 - 29/10/20 11:20 AM

My theory for the longer barrels back then is because in the time before scopes being the norm.......ageing eyes demanded the extra sight radius to enable the foresight to be seen.

Rod

thirdbite
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/16
Loc: kansas, USA
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: Rod4861]
      #346294 - 29/10/20 11:32 AM

I suspect the long bbl is simply a carryover from earlier black powder rifles.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: thirdbite]
      #346301 - 29/10/20 12:58 PM

Quote:

+1

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Rod4861
.300 member

#346303 - 29/10/20 01:35 PM

Quote:

And scopes weren’t common back then either....and old eyes still need to focus on the front sight.

Rod

thirdbite
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/16
Loc: kansas, USA
      #346304 - 29/10/20 02:55 PM

I believe the trend to shorter barrels began before scopes were popular

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #346306 - 29/10/20 04:40 PM

1939:

Detail:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Rod4861
.300 member

Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #346309 - 29/10/20 08:13 PM

Well I’m sure that there were a few pre WW2 rifles fitted with scopes but I reckon it was post 1945 before most commercial sporting rifles were supplied with the means to easily install a scope mount.

I’m pretty sure that even the Winchester M70 didn’t come standard, drilled and taped, to accommodate a scope mount until after WW2.

All I’m saying is that, without a scope, ageing eyes need a longer sight radius to focus the front sight. Any rifle is useless unless you can aim it.

Maybe I’m wrong? Probably am. But I reckon there’s some logic to my reasoning......even if it’s wrong.

Cheers Rod

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #346315 - 29/10/20 11:57 PM

Quote:

Maybe I’m wrong? Probably am. But I reckon there’s some logic to my reasoning......even if it’s wrong.

Maybe you're right.

When were the 28" barreled, 3/4 stocked 'Afrika' Mausers manufactured?

Scopes, or 'telescopic sights', were popular add ons for Mauser and Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles and stutzen prepared for British and American trade from at least the early 1920s. Didn't the 28" barreled Type L (lang) 'Afrika' Mauser predate that?

Notice that in the image from above post that the rifle closest to the chap in his Sola Topi appears to be one of the long Afrika Mausers. Notice the 3/4 length stock and length overall compared to the other rifle visible in the image.

For Mannlicher Schoenauer the '39 Stoeger lists, among custom options, barrels up to 26 inches but not 28. The 10.75X68, however, is not mentioned. Could they have been longer on special order? 'Off the shelf', they are listed with 24" barrel as are the other 'High Velocity' MS.

'Factory' scoped MS mounting was actually contracted out by Steyr to several Austrian guild shops / craftsmen. They tended to be of the 'Vienna Snapper' type (as shown above) or claw mounted.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Huvius
.416 member

Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #346321 - 30/10/20 02:30 AM

Quote:

Notice that in the image from above post that the rifle closest to the chap in his Sola Topi appears to be one of the long Afrika Mausers. Notice the 3/4 length stock and length overall compared to the other rifle visible in the image.

I'd guess that that rifle is an 1888 Mauser looking at the bottom metal and the 10.75x68 is the one against the elephant's head. Not a great picture for a positive ID though.
Of course, if I really use my imagination, the rifle on the right looks like an under lever falling block of some sort!

--------------------

jgrabow
.300 member

Reged: 22/12/08
Loc: Winter Wisconsin
      #346322 - 30/10/20 03:01 AM

Here's Speeds take on the African Model.

Aware that many of their rifles were being used by various British and German colonial officials and settlers in Africa, the Mauser firm produced a special rifle which, is was hoped, would be more suitable for the conditions found in Africa. Marketed as the "Original Mauser Magazine Sporting Rifle, Special African Type", this rifle was known at the factory as the "Normal Hunting Rifle Type L". the 'L' standing for Lang (Long barrel and three-quarter stock). The first examples, offered in several calibres, were made around 1905.

Unfortunately, Mauser did not obtain enough data from hunters who actually lived and worked in Africa before coming up with their African Model, which had a barrel some 700mm(27.6") long and a stock extending more than three-quarters of the way to the muzzle: all in all, a rifle ill-suited for work in thick bush.

Stocks on African model rifles extended to almost the full length of the long 28-inch barrels, and terminated in a small schnabel which could also be made of horn. Sometimes a second schnabel was included, cut into the forend. One or two barrel bands held the stock firmly to the barrel. Grip and forend chequering were common. On some African Model rifles a military-type wooden handguard was fitted, but this is rarely seen. Stocks on early rifles had rounded pistol grips and sometimes the "flat oval" reinforcements above the triggerguard. Later rifles had flat-bottomed pistol grips with caps.

Barrels on Special African Model rifles could be round or full octagon, with rear sights fitted with one standing and one or two folding leaves. Tangent or Exprress sights were also available. Several types of horn, metal or rubber butt plates were used.

Only the three largest action sizes were used for the Special African Model. All trigger types and floorplate release mechanisims were available. The most common offerings tended to be in the larger calibres, such as 9.3x62mm and 10.75x68mm.

Mauser catalogues continued to feature this model up through the early 1930's, although a few african Model rifles were still being made as late as 1943.

The African Model was not made in large numbers, and is in fact quite rare. Many of these rifles were exported, and may be found with both British and German proofs.

--------------------
Jim

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #346323 - 30/10/20 04:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd guess that that rifle is an 1888 Mauser looking at the bottom metal and the 10.75x68 is the one against the elephant's head. Not a great picture for a positive ID though.
Of course, if I really use my imagination, the rifle on the right looks like an under lever falling block of some sort!

In total agreement on the right hand rifle. Looks like a Farquarson to me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Mauser Afrika models [Re: jgrabow]
      #346325 - 30/10/20 05:45 AM

As an iron sight shooter @ 52 the long barrel offers good pointabillity and steadiness(balance). The long sight radius even as I get older still help to shoot decent groups.

As 52 years of age my eyes may not be as good as they were, but I have been shooting ironsights since childhood and when shooting ironsight I procure a "sightpicture" in my mind which helps me when to pull the trigger.

My new(old) Cogswell & harrison .500ex has 28" barrels. Its just lovely to raise the rifle to the shoulder and just point at fictual target.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8998

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com