Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mausers in films

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mausers in films [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #347144 - 25/11/20 02:56 PM

My favourite is still Karen Blixen "taking the shot" with her Mauser sporter on the charging lioness in "Out of Africa".
Check it out here.
Its been discussed on these forums before of course.

Finch Hatton is no slouch with the double on the big-maned lion either, but ol'mate with the cut-down P-14 looks like he would rather resort to the knobkerri!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Reged: 01/01/14
Loc: Northern Colorado
Re: Mausers in films [Re: Marrakai]
      #347191 - 26/11/20 11:41 AM

I believe that is a Westley Richards 318. I forgot about that one. It is SWEEEEET!!!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #347200 - 26/11/20 09:19 PM

Quote:

My favourite is still Karen Blixen "taking the shot" with her Mauser sporter on the charging lioness in "Out of Africa".
Check it out here.

Finch Hatton is no slouch with the double on the big-maned lion either, but ol'mate with the cut-down P-14 looks like he would rather resort to the knobkerri!

The P14 was not out of place in the movie. When in Zimbabwe several years ago the game scouts were armed with them. They had had the AK's taken off them after one shot somebody accidentally with his.

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Mausers in films [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #349081 - 11/01/21 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There was the Movie ''White Heat'' with James Cagney. with the rifle they shot at him with ,I believe is a Mauser ,although the Movie firearms page/list ? claims its a Mannlicher

That got me thinking... seems I'd noticed that before.
Looking at IMFDB, they have it as a 'Steyr Mannlicher-Schoenauer'. They also show what appears to be a GK or Model 1952 by way of example (White Heat was released in '49): White Heat IMFDB

Of the three stills shown on IMFDB, one shows the right side though not very well. It seems that the bolt handle is rather close to the trigger guard, unlike an MS:

Then I watched the following clip. At 00:06 - 00:07 the right side is plainly visible and the bolt clearly closes aft of the rear receiver bridge, to which a scope ring is attached. Notice also how he works the bolt at 00:33. It is not a Mannlicher Schoenauer.

White Heat: White Heat Clip

UPDATE: I recently recorded "White Heat" on TCM and froze on an excellent picture of the rifle used by Edmond O'Brien to take out James Cagney in the final shootout. You're absolutely spot-on, Rothhammer: No M-S, but a Mauser, virtually identical to the one in the "Public Enemies" photo above, but with a scope on it. I wondered why the Purvis character would be using it without the scope in its clearly empty claw mounts. It might very well be the same rifle, that's been languishing in some Hollywood prop house for the last 60-odd years. Maybe the scope was lost to rough handling - or just lost. With claw mounts, that would explain why they couldn't just throw on any old Tasco.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Mausers in films [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #349096 - 11/01/21 10:03 AM

Quote:

Season 2, episode 1 of “THE OUTER LIMITS” entitled “Soldier”. The main character, Quarlo Clobregnny, steals a very nice, Teutonic looking Mauser 98 sporter, and threatens the family that has taken him in. This is at almost the end of the episode. I don’t know how to get a screen shot of this rifle to post, but it is quite unique looking.

Now the 'incidental music' from Outer Limits episodes is cycling through my head.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

LongIsland
.224 member

Reged: 09/02/09
Loc: New York, U.S.A.
Re: Mausers in films [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #349204 - 13/01/21 10:54 AM

Watched "Killer Leopard " the other day with Tarzan's son Boy as the main character, all the white hunters were using full stocked Mauser 98. Interesting that the production company had these on hand. Jane was no where to be found.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mausers in films [Re: Rule303]
      #349216 - 13/01/21 05:50 PM

Quote:

The P14 was not out of place in the movie. When in Zimbabwe several years ago the game scouts were armed with them. They had had the AK's taken off them after one shot somebody accidentally with his.

They solve this in Zambia by giving the game scouts a AK-47 with no sights and only one cartridge ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#349217 - 13/01/21 06:03 PM

Quote:

Check it out here.

I too enjoy that scene. Watched the move at Christmas, the first time for years. Once it was one of my favourites, actually got me very interested in travelling to Africa or even living there, however I must have already had the bug big time, as I tried to get placed in Africa a year or two earlier. I think Ghana or Burkina Faso was on offer. Did not pursue them as they were a little "adventerous" for a person who never had even been outside of Australia at the time.

Then DID GET OFFERED South Africa working for Rembrandt Corporation but they wanted to pay me less than a "junior office girl" per an Aussie Afrikaaner friend. AND the job was in Econometrics, modelling the South African economy. I did start studying Econometrics as an extra, did not need it for my degree, and dropped out before it counted as a failed subject. Ended up in London instead and travelled down to Kenya, then across Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, into Zimbabwe, across to Botswana and then back to Zim. I had a smuggled apartheid era South African visa in my jackets lining, but ran out of money and had to go back to London to work again!

Back to Out of Africa, I enjoyed it much, then not so much, the Finch Hatton character's pontification is annoying, and out of character for the real man. Also Redford's hopeless acting and complete inability to play a British gentleman meant the Director resorted to him playing "Robert Redford" instead of a real Finch Hatton. The movie is a bit plagued with the beginnings of movie PCism. Poor old Blix is castigated in the movie. Karen Blixen was no saint and a huge spender on frivolities. One reason the farm went bankrupt was her spending on Parisian wardrobes, huge parties for Kings, cooking schools etc. Alluded to in the movie with the references to lemoge and lace and white gloves and "things".

Now I enjoy it again, not having watched it for a while.

The shooting lions scene is an attempt to introduce a PC acceptable hunting scene, the hunting of dangerous charging lions in self defence. Blixen reported liking hunting lions. Regarded as a pest at the time.

As we have threads on NE about the REAL Blixen Mauser rifle(s), it is easy to go and look at them!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (13/01/21 07:40 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mausers in films [Re: NitroX]
      #349221 - 13/01/21 07:35 PM

The real rifle. Or one of them. And what a nice example. Almost makes one want a .50 Rigby Magnum Mauser 98!

.350 Rigby Magnum

the Blixen house in Rungsted - by Lancaster
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=174475&an=&page=0&vc=1

The Blixen Museum .350 Magnum RigbyMauser
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=185641&an=&page=0&vc=1

However per another thread, it appears the rifle and double barrelled are no longer hanging on the wall.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=277563&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com