Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
.333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale)
      #339539 - 29/03/20 12:18 PM

Did anyone here on the forum pick up the .333 Jeffery in the Amoskeag sale? This was another one of Stretch Kennedy's guns. I would like to have bought it but just wasn't willing to spend the money at this point.

There was also a beautiful Johann Springer 8x57 cased double rifle (also a Kennedy gun). It was a real sweetheart.

The Springer rifle was lot 89 and the Jeffery lot 182 if anyone wants to go online and view the catalog entries.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: .333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale) [Re: mckinney]
      #339548 - 30/03/20 02:16 AM

I was ready to bid on that Jeff but it went too high for my wallet. I had an original 333 Jeffery built on a standard Mauser which was great - never did think that 333s on magnum length actions were any cooler than standards. Sort of dumb really...
The Springer is just like mine, but of course in like new condition, and they are fantastic rifles! Nice to see that one reach a good price.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

wkudu
.275 member

Reged: 24/12/17
Loc: United States
Re: .333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale) [Re: Huvius]
      #339557 - 30/03/20 08:45 AM

I saw both and they were both gorgeous! But no I didn't buy them because I can't.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: .333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale) [Re: wkudu]
      #339567 - 30/03/20 02:18 PM

Did anyone keep any photos? Or is a link still active?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mckinney
.400 member

Re: .333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale) [Re: NitroX]
      #339575 - 30/03/20 07:28 PM

Not sure if the links will work but here they are:

Springer

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-d...8%3Flotnum%3D89

Jeffery

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-d...%3Flotnum%3D182

mckinney
.400 member

#339576 - 30/03/20 07:35 PM

And one that I managed to buy.

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-d...3Flotnum%3D1656

I'm still disappointed that I haven't acquired any of Stretch Kennedy's guns. His collecting style seems to have been about like mine. Some of everything but a fair amount of really good things. It's taken Amoskeag 2 years to go through all of his stuff and I don't know that they've finished.

As to the little Francotte - I'll take the scope off and use the single level G&H sidemount on one of my GH Springfields. I have a couple with a single mount base and no mount. The scope might go on a Win 54 in .22 Hornet or a prewar Model 70 in .220 Swift.

Huvius
.416 member

#339584 - 31/03/20 01:25 AM

Quote:

Did anyone keep any photos? Or is a link still active?

Description:

serial #10372, 8x57JRS, 23” Krupp Gussstahl barrels with bright excellent bores. This is an exceptional little double ejector rifle from this top-notch maker. The barrels retain about 98-99% original maker blue and are maker marked above the chambers. They show light sprays of engraving at the breeches and on the rib extension and on the solder between the barrels at the muzzle face. The sideplated frame shows near overall excellent quality tight scroll and floral decoration with banknote filigree bordering and retains 98% original vivid color case-hardening, muting only slightly in a few spots with wear to pewter on the sharp edges. The triggerguard bow retains nearly all its original blue and is similarly embellished with top lever and thumb safety identical, “safe” inlaid in gold on the tang. The classic style checkered capped pistolgrip English walnut buttstock rates excellent with a nice rounded shadowline left side cheekpiece. The checkered panels feature mullered borders and there is a smart bone pistolgrip cap. The splinter forend rates excellent as well and has a gold letter “P” inlaid at the center diamond of the checkering pattern. Both the iron and Anson pushbutton release show some very nice colors. The length of pull to the solid widows peak rifle pad is 15” with drops of 1 1/4” and 2 1/2”. As-mentioned the arm features ejectors, both triggers are single set, the safety is automatic and the barrels feature dual under lugs with a Holland-style hidden third fastener. The rifle features a lovely hand-matted rib which raises to a front ramp which has a simple fire blued bead style sight, with dual leaf rear, single standing, one folding, regulated for 100 and 200 yards; there are quick release Springer scope bases maker-installed on the rib. The integral see-through scope rings mount a Carl Zeiss Zielvier telescopic sight which is neatly maker engraved with Johan Springer’s name and address to the rear of the objective lens. It rates excellent and features a heavy duplex German reticle with excellent optics. The crosshatched burnishing on the breech faces is brilliant as is the fire blue on the faces of the firing pin bushings showing the slightest drag from the ejectors, appearing to have seen a very little or no use over the years. The arm comes cased in a British leather covered luggage case with the brass reinforced corners, the lid embossed “Frederick F. A. Pearson Jr, Sulby Hall, Rugby”, the case itself rating very good with the expected minor scuffs and handling marks from the years. The gun handles swiftly and weighs in at 7 1/2 pounds. A beautiful rifle, proved in 1929, remaining in a remarkable state of condition from this “best” Austrian maker. (3D9100-1236) {C&R} [Richard “Stretch” Kennedy Collection] (7000/9000)

Lot closed - Winning bid:$15,000

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

#339585 - 31/03/20 01:28 AM

Description:

serial #24681 (Mauser No. 56737), 333 Jeffery Rimless, 24” Krupp Guss Stahl barrel with a bright very fine bore showing sharp rifling but some very light frosting in the grooves. This fine magazine rifle is built on a square bridge commercial magnum Mauser action. The metal surfaces retain perhaps 60% evenly thinning original blue which is toning to a plum brown, with wear to pewter on the high edges and contact points. The checkered capped pistolgrip English walnut stock rates very fine, perhaps showing an old refinish as the buttplate sits slightly proud, regaining the expected light dings and handling marks that come with a field-used arm. There is the very beginning of a hairline crack to the rear of the tang but it seems tight and is missed at first glance and would be easy to arrest and camouflage. The stock was constructed without cheekpiece and has a nice horn forend tip and gripcap with a 15 1/8" length of pull to the checkered steel trapdoor buttplate; there are maker sling eyes front and rear. The left side of forearm has a small brass plate inlaid with hole in its center, its purpose is unknown. Rifle is sighted with ramp front sight with a small ivory bead, fitted for a hood which is no longer present, and a five leaf express rear sight , one standing four folding. The top of the barrel is engraved "W.J. Jeffery & Co. LTD 26 Bury Street St James London 24681”. A fine quality London magazine rifle chambered in an old yet well respected African big game cartridge. (3B9100-1222) {C&R} [Richard “Stretch” Kennedy Collection] (3000/5000)

Lot closed - Winning bid:$7,000

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #339604 - 31/03/20 06:39 PM

Thank you. Good man!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #339620 - 31/03/20 11:52 PM

Wow......very nice Huvius, thank you for saving these photos - I'll drool over them later!

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: .333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale) [Re: 93x64mm]
      #339871 - 07/04/20 12:35 PM

the jeffery was mine about 25 years ago nice gun original it has some type of button inlet into the stock to hold it upright in a rover or gun case . a bit big for 333 so i sold it to stretch thru an old friend gun dealer here in mass..that springer is also in mass now, a good friend got it ,I'm waiting for the virus to subside before i go by and see him and the rifle ,,he,s pretty giddy over it !!....paul

mckinney
.400 member

Re: .333 Jeffery (Amoskeag sale) [Re: pjaln]
      #339889 - 07/04/20 11:34 PM

Interesting, thanks. I thought Morris Hallowell might have bought the Springer. He’s had some very nice and interesting Springer stuff in the past. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the Ferlach and German guns from that sale show up on his website.

pjaln
.375 member

#339900 - 08/04/20 06:00 AM

he once had the sister to that gun as they were made for the same family ..my friend is researching the gun with springer he told me he had some interesting info on it f when i get the story straight will post it

Huvius
.416 member

#339911 - 08/04/20 11:51 AM

My Springer, which is very similar to that one, was made for Consul Weinberg - I haven't much information on him.
Mine is an 8X57 but was originally a 10.75 of one sort or another.

pjaln, you will be amazed at the quality of that rifle. They have a vault like sound on closing that I haven't heard from any other double. Absolutely beautiful!

--------------------

mckinney
.400 member

#339921 - 08/04/20 07:06 PM

pjaln, Morris H sent me some photos a couple years ago of a cased Springer double in 9.3 x 74. I wonder if that was the sister gun? I think it's still viewable on his website in the fine gun archive. It was just about pristine and sweet, sweet.

I think there were some craftsmen at Springer in the 1930s who had come from Purdeys. You can sure see it in the lines of the double rifles and shotguns from that period. (Morris had a very nice pair of Springer double shotguns a few years ago as well).

Anyway, Springer is now a bit of an obsession with me!

pjaln
.375 member

#339960 - 10/04/20 07:19 AM

the sister gun is the 8x57 in his gallery my friends has silvers pad ,,hallowells does not ,,both guns made for the pearson family father and son that 9,3x74 morris had was a real beauty....paul

pjaln
.375 member

#340022 - 12/04/20 12:00 PM

mckinney,,,martini hagn has a nice 7x64 springer if you need one bad !!!...paul

mckinney
.400 member

#340217 - 18/04/20 07:49 AM

Thanks pjaln, It's been a while since I visited Martini Hagn website, had forgotten what nice stuff they have.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5747

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com