Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf Commercial Mausers - Low Scope Mount safety?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
ms86
.224 member

Reged: 17/02/20
Loc: Austin, Texas
Oberndorf Commercial Mausers - Low Scope Mount safety?
      #339586 - 31/03/20 03:02 AM

Hi all,

As I’ve posted about previously on this forum I have a Oberndorf commercial Mauser sporter with a factory scope mount (Hensoldt Dialytan 4x). The issue with the rifle and scope mount is that the scope is mounted low and therefore the factory flag safety is blocked and will not engage when the scope is mounted. Fortunately this rifle has double triggers and so in a similar manner to having a double action revolver there is some built in safety from the heavy trigger pulls (unless the rear trigger has been set). I also am a firm practitioner of firearm safety and never have my finger on the trigger unless ready to fire. Nevertheless having an operational safety would be nice to have for maximum security in the field.

Does anyone know of aftermarket safeties that require minimum to no gunsmithing that could work on these commercial sporters? I know the Buehler type safeties work for M98s but my understanding is those are for military 98s as they require a military style bolt shroud. But perhaps they could work for commercial sporters as well?

If anyone has experience with this issue please let me know. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mausers - Low Scope Mount safety? [Re: ms86]
      #339588 - 31/03/20 04:06 AM

In the name of preservation, I see two options.
One, source another period scope that doesn't block the safety.
Two swap out the bolt shroud and associated parts with a Winchester style wing safety and keep the original parts intact.
Show us a picture of what you are dealing with - I think a scope swap would be the most logical and expedient and I'm sure it did not leave Mauser set up like this.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

ms86
.224 member

Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mausers - Low Scope Mount safety? [Re: Huvius]
      #339591 - 31/03/20 06:24 AM

Thanks. You can see the setup (albeit not in close-up, but I can take a close-up picture if that helps) in the photo below. From Speed's book on Oberndorf Sporters (pgs. 131-132) I gather that this was a common problem with the Mauser safety as it pertained to low scope mounts.

I am not looking to change the mounting setup on this rifle (as I believe it is original) and also I am not sure a smaller objective diameter scope would help much (given that it needs to be a 26mm tube) - possibly would but it's not like the flag safety is barely clearing right now, and it's not clear that a 32mm vs 36mm objective diameter would make any difference.

So, I am all in favor of originality (and can leave it alone if needed) but was wondering if there were any drop-in solutions, I know there is the Timney/Buehler style but as noted I am not sure that works for commercial sporters.

Timney/Buehler Low Scope Safety

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #339592 - 31/03/20 06:51 AM

Recknagel make s series of bolt shrouds with a Model 70 type side swing safety. One of their bolt shrouds is based around the original shape. There is a minimum of gunsmithing required and this is only to the end of the firing pin, and the new shroud can be removed anytime and the original refitted.

Recknagel part number 30100-0000 or 30100-3000

They are very well made.

There are also a number of US companies that make bolt shrouds with side swing safeties for Mauser rifles.

These are available in the US from NECG

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

ms86
.224 member

Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mausers - Low Scope Mount safety? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #339596 - 31/03/20 08:36 AM

Thank you, I will check that out. I've had good luck ordering from NECG before, they are great to work with.

metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
      #339599 - 31/03/20 11:57 AM

Get the Timney, fits the original shroud with no mods.

ms86
.224 member

Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mausers - Low Scope Mount safety? [Re: metal]
      #339600 - 31/03/20 01:01 PM

Thanks @metal. Does it work on the commercial sporter bolt shroud? I’ve seen mixed reviews as to whether it will work with the commercial sporters or only military/sporterized military K98 actions.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #339616 - 31/03/20 08:54 PM

Quote:

Does it work on the commercial sporter bolt shroud? I’ve seen mixed reviews as to whether it will work with the commercial sporters or only military/sporterized military K98 actions.

The pre-WW2 original Mauser commercial bolt shrouds are identical and interchangeable to the military ones. Post-WW2 only other companies started making bolt shrouds either without the flag safety (FN) or with different safeties (Brno)for their own "Mauser" commercial sporter actions.

ms86
.224 member

Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mausers - Low Scope Mount safety? [Re: kuduae]
      #339617 - 31/03/20 11:06 PM

Thank you. That’s what I thought as well but wasn’t sure the Timney would work as it’s hard to find examples on the web of people putting it on a commercial sporter made pre-war, most examples are with FN Mausers or sporterized Military K98s.

If it requires minimal gunsmithing and I can still keep the original bolt shroud unaltered for retaining collector value then that may be the best way to go.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #339618 - 31/03/20 11:42 PM

Very nice piece of kit there MS86!
Good idea to keep it original if needed

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3346

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com