Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Mauser M03

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: jvw]
      #345613 - 07/10/20 08:32 AM

Probably old ''News'' ,but I only just found out the M03 has been discontinued ,maybe not selling enough ? or getting too expensive to produce ?, or both maybe .They will concentrate on the cheaper Models and keep the much more expensive M98s ,hmmmm ........ ith ought they were good myself, but had to sell mine .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: jvw]
      #345627 - 07/10/20 06:49 PM

Quote:

And yes, I have seen a rather sheepish M03 owner standing with the bolt of his rifle in his right hand ..... I'm good friends with a colleague of his, who owns an identical M03, also in .404, also with the same symptoms.

I'm reliably informed that some of them will discharge by their own accord as well if the bolt is closed REALLY hard on a loaded round. This I haven't seen with my own eyes, just for the record.

Wow. Two big problems for the same model. Amazing.

Well I actually OWN and USE two of them and have never experienced either of these "third hand" problems.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: 500Boswell]
      #345629 - 07/10/20 06:58 PM

Quote:

Probably old ''News'' ,but I only just found out the M03 has been discontinued ,maybe not selling enough ? or getting too expensive to produce ?, or both maybe .They will concentrate on the cheaper Models and keep the much more expensive M98s ,hmmmm ........ ith ought they were good myself, but had to sell mine .

Damnation. But one could see this writing on the wall after the L&O group severely downgraded the choices and range of models, barrels, calibres, etc available for the M03.

They seem to be making the Mauser a economy brand, rather than what it should be, a premium brand. Selling M98s still but mostly cheaper model new Mausers.

Pushing the Blaser brand instead, a plastic fantastic brand, glitz and little style.

Meanwhile L&O is closing a German factory for handguns.

Something is wrong with firearms in Europe. Probably the fashion to buy over complicated finicky rubbish.

At least Rigby under Marc Newton is streaming ahead and keeping up the brand and quality.

Got straight onto OSA to see about a warranty repair on my M03 .222 Magazine, and also any mounts, bolt heads, even barrels still available. Possibly only barrels. Not sure if I could afford one ATM.

But this sums up an issue. Buy and use M98s and you will always still be able to get mounts, barrels etc. And have a great rifle design to boot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: NitroX]
      #345634 - 07/10/20 09:41 PM

They are pushing the M12 very heavily in Europe and to be fair it is a very nice gun. They are very accurate, top loading + detachable magazine, easy cocking, come with open sights if you want it, model 70 type safety and they are well made. The stock design particularly on the second generation is very nice, fits well and is classically styled.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #345643 - 08/10/20 02:29 AM

The M03s and M12s by Mausers are nice guns and accurate. Would I mine own one?..ofcouse sure. But as time passes by seeing all the crap that drops out from the injection molding machines....the more I appreciate a real pre-war Mauser. No finer repeting rifle hasnt been made.

Edited by rigbymauser (08/10/20 02:43 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: rigbymauser]
      #345650 - 08/10/20 10:35 AM

I went for the M03 as I wanted a takedown, barrel swap system.

If I had a "hundred thousand plus" I would have had made a series of grand fantastic custom Mauser 98 takedowns. Bolt head differences would make this actually more limited. As would the magazines. The Mauser M03 magazines work. When the springs do .... waiting to see if my .222 mag is to be repaired under warranty.

I would much prefer a Mauser action where the actions lock up on a collar on the barrel, not the action. Removes some problems with barrel threads that can occur sometimes over time.

If I wanted a non switch barrel single calibre rifle, I wouldn't bother with a M12, M18 or whatever and why bother going past a Mauser M98 or a Mauser derivative action.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#345651 - 08/10/20 10:42 AM

I find a switch barrel or take down firearm so much more convenient when travelling. We all know how convenient a broken down double rifle or shotgun is for travelling. In a shortened gun case, or short slip. Even in a duffel bag or sold suit case. Takedown bolt actions are almost as convenient, though the M03 is still the length of its stock. The rifles which break down at the front of the action, with a separate forend are more convenient again.

A gun which can be put in a suitcase or duffel makes it so much easier for check in at hotels, public transport, taxis, even fitting in the boot of a car. A solid take down case which can be removed for separate air freight during air flights work well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Boswell
.400 member

#345656 - 08/10/20 04:58 PM

The L&O Group no doubt want buyers to purchase the cheaper to produce alloy action R8 [and steel action] overpriced Blaser with much higher profit margin ,the M03 would not be cheap to produce, being all steel ,unlike a lot of the European rifles now ,with plastic mags, trigger guards, mag frames ,plastic stocks, etc .Another plus of take downs is you don't get all the ''Looks'' at Airports when you are carrying a Long gun case ,although most of todays generation wouldn't know anyway ,but elderly women always seem to know what you are carrying, if you have a long gun case !

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#345658 - 08/10/20 09:11 PM

Elderly women seem to know, LOL, well that's because they are wise.

Matt.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#345660 - 08/10/20 09:37 PM

Quote:

If I wanted a non switch barrel single calibre rifle, I wouldn't bother with a M12, M18 or whatever and why bother going past a Mauser M98 or a Mauser derivative action.

Mannlicher-Schoenauers excepted of course!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#345661 - 08/10/20 09:41 PM

Quote:

Another plus of take downs is you don't get all the ''Looks'' at Airports when you are carrying a Long gun case ,although most of todays generation wouldn't know anyway ,but elderly women always seem to know what you are carrying, if you have a long gun case !

have been known to put my full length rifle gun case across the top of my wheeled duffel bag a bit like airplane wings to manoeuvre through the crowds in the airports.

I wonder how many people know what is in it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#345670 - 09/10/20 06:40 AM

Most people would think it is a guitar which are often carried in exactly the same type of case.

Matt.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #345676 - 09/10/20 07:48 PM

Quote:

Most people would think it is a guitar which are often carried in exactly the same type of case.

Matt.

Why not! There was a band years ago called "Nitro Express". They wanted the domain name from me.

Also carbon arrows.

Mark Sullivan of course.

A leather luggage maker in NZ.

And the petrol ether heads with injected engines and drag racing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Boswell
.400 member

#345678 - 09/10/20 09:38 PM

Mialls didn't exactly help the Mauser M03 ''Cause '' with their shitty customer service

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#348343 - 23/12/20 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And yes, I have seen a rather sheepish M03 owner standing with the bolt of his rifle in his right hand ..... I'm good friends with a colleague of his, who owns an identical M03, also in .404, also with the same symptoms.

I'm reliably informed that some of them will discharge by their own accord as well if the bolt is closed REALLY hard on a loaded round. This I haven't seen with my own eyes, just for the record.

Wow. Two big problems for the same model. Amazing.

Well I actually OWN and USE two of them and have never experienced either of these "third hand" problems.

I gave this a try and could not create either problem. Also have used my M03 with .404 in BGRC rapid fire events. Neither problem ever occurred.

Some of these courses are attended by complete wannabes. Never know how they handle their firearms, if they are ever used them before or how they have not been maintained ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381589 - 27/12/23 10:25 PM

Alf Smith said on FB:

Quote:

These rifles are extremely accurate ( precise) and the design actually predates that of Mauser's famous 98 ! The concept of bolting to the barrel and not the front ring of the action is the crux and secret to this accuracy. The action body and bolt body are simply conduits for feeding from the magazine. By bolting to the barrel steps in the mechanical oscillation and vibration train is negated. The principle was conceived by Louis Schlegelmilch prior to his design of the M88 Commission rifle action. Walther Gehman perfected it with the M66 Mauser action.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17289

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com