Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #313907 - 12/03/18 05:04 PM

Quote:

I have wondered who Rigby's target audience is regarding this rifle and have come to the conclusion that it is not rifle enthusiasts like us but cashed up newbies. The popularity of deer stalking has increased dramatically in the UK as well as in most places around the world and while most people will buy a Sako or Blaser etc. there will be those that have a good job and reasonable amounts of disposable cash, and can afford $12000 without having to have a savings plan. They have a basic understanding of the Rigby history and like the image it portrays. They probably also know of Holland & Holland but do not want to spend 40000 pounds plus to own one and therefore the Rigby is ideal. I also believe that most of these new Rigby Highland owners are not the type to have a lot of guns, probably just the Rigby, a shotgun and a 22. Is that bad, no not at all, but I believe that is why the Highland Stalker is selling like hotcakes even though it doesn't excite the gun enthusiast.

.... I believe the same type of customer is buying the Highland stalker. IMHO of course.

"I wonder" "I believe" "IMHO"

Yep, lots of musings with no ideaFI.

And all that irrelevance about Blaser. Mauser calls the shots at Rigby.

Rigby is selling a multiple of firearms, of a prestige value, of what probably the rest of the UK prestige industry is selling. I have a rough idea of what Rigby sells, and a rough idea of the sort of very low numbers the big nanes sell. From 2x to 4x is my estimate.

Rigby is really excellent at marketing with the people having a genuine interest in Rigby, its history, making an extra effort, fantastic theme gun and safari show stands, friendly and interesting people and a great product.

Sure you don't like the barrel profile, that's your choice. Hundreds of happy customers do like it. I can guess why it has the choice of barrel.

Yes it is high priced for us normal guys. No need to knock what you can't afford.

BTW we had another big name UK maker recently here on NE, with a very "untypical" rifle and many raved about it ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #313910 - 12/03/18 09:41 PM

Yea, I try not to push my opinion onto people, that is why I use those terms, rather than cracking the shits and getting all nasty, it was just an opinion piece open for discussion.

Blaser own Mauser and having spoken to people who have actually been to the Blaser plant, the Mauser actions and barrels are made in the Blaser plant. Mauser do not have their own machining facilities. There are also several photos of Marc Newton having meetings with the head of Mauser and the head of Blaser is there at the table as well, so I am sure that Blaser call the shots in the end.

As to the number of firearms sold you mention "rough idea" and "estimate" so lots of musings there as well.

As to the marketing, I mentioned several times that their marketing is excellent. Never said the people arn't friendly, they are very friendly, I have spoken to them several times myself. I agree they make a the extra effort with their safari themed stand and the Scottish stand but I never said they didn't.

Yes I don't like the barrel profile and I said that was my opinion, although several other members said the same thing. I also pointed out that they are selling like hot cakes so clearly not every one agrees. Also while I would not have been able to buy one outright, I did point out that I was prepared to save up and buy one, so the cost was not the main issue.

Not sure what the last line has to do with the Highland stalker.

I thought this forum was one for fair and open discussion rather than having to toe the line because someone is Facebook friends with a manufacturer.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #313911 - 12/03/18 10:45 PM

Jezz John...not everyone likes them...take it easy mate

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: paradox_]
      #313913 - 13/03/18 01:10 AM

Deleted my post. Was editing it, then on the phone with Curl, so decided to delete it instead. No time to edit it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #315229 - 13/04/18 12:00 PM

Quote:

Gentlemen, has anybody on this forum purchased a "Highland Stalker" and if so, what is the general feeling. Good, bad, worth the money etc. Thanks.

Waidmannsheil.

I'm lucky enough to own two Rigby's. A Highland Stalker in 30/06 and a Big Game DSB in 375 H&H. Both are very accurate, their triggers are superb and I'm very pleased with both.

Rod

Rod4861
.300 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #315230 - 13/04/18 12:07 PM

Quote:

I am sure that freight will be blamed even though freight from Europe to Australia is about $1800 AUD for a 40 foot container at the moment

$1800? Is that a typo?

To the best of my knowledge sporting firearms are imported into Australia via air freight.

Rod

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Rod4861]
      #315231 - 13/04/18 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure that freight will be blamed even though freight from Europe to Australia is about $1800 AUD for a 40 foot container at the moment

$1800? Is that a typo?

To the best of my knowledge sporting firearms are imported into Australia via air freight.

Rod

People talking about the basic cost of freight by simple shipping container cost versus freight of firearms have obviously never done it before.

But firearms are freighted by various methods. A forum member is trying to send to me two rifles. The quotations he receieved were something like $4000!!! (from memory). Planning to send them along in a friends Holts container shipment for a MUCH reduced freight cost.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (13/04/18 12:43 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#315232 - 13/04/18 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gentlemen, has anybody on this forum purchased a "Highland Stalker" and if so, what is the general feeling. Good, bad, worth the money etc. Thanks.

Waidmannsheil.

I'm lucky enough to own two Rigby's. A Highland Stalker in 30/06 and a Big Game DSB in 375 H&H. Both are very accurate, their triggers are superb and I'm very pleased with both.

Rod

Good to hear from an owner. Post some photos especially any photos of them being used in Australia.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #315254 - 14/04/18 12:07 AM

Can't help feeling that Rigby have hit the spot with the Highland Stalker. It's a nice traditional style modern rifle that just works well. The original Rigby's were nothing more or less than nicely finished Mauser's and its still the same. Most of these Rigby's will be bought by the hunter who wants a nice Rifle to use on a stalking holiday every couple of years and will share a cabinet with a nice old side-lock, a better grade Berretta or Browning 12 or 20 (he likes the side lock, but shoots better with the O/U and its steel proofed) and an air rifle or 22 Rimfire. He likes fine things - decent car etc, but he is not a gun enthusiast. Chances are he is a professional, an officer or senior management.

Cost - well about a month or two's salary.

In other words , just the same sort of people whom Rigby used to sell to to - save one exception, the higher ranking colonial civil servant.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: HeymSR20]
      #315259 - 14/04/18 02:16 AM

Excellent analysis; you just hit the mark!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#315274 - 14/04/18 08:23 AM

Rod, good to see that you are happy with it. Have you been hunting with it yet? Are you using a scope and if so what rings and bases did you use?

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#315275 - 14/04/18 08:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

$1800? Is that a typo?

Rod

I think you are correct. The final price here in Australia turned out to be very close to what they are charging in England. I have spoken to the importer a couple of times and he seems like a really decent chap, very accommodating and obviously not a robber.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Rod4861
.300 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: HeymSR20]
      #315276 - 14/04/18 08:56 AM

Quote:

Can't help feeling that Rigby have hit the spot with the Highland Stalker. It's a nice traditional style modern rifle that just works well. The original Rigby's were nothing more or less than nicely finished Mauser's and its still the same. Most of these Rigby's will be bought by the hunter who wants a nice Rifle to use on a stalking holiday every couple of years and will share a cabinet with a nice old side-lock, a better grade Berretta or Browning 12 or 20 (he likes the side lock, but shoots better with the O/U and its steel proofed) and an air rifle or 22 Rimfire. He likes fine things - decent car etc, but he is not a gun enthusiast. Chances are he is a professional, an officer or senior management.

Cost - well about a month or two's salary.

In other words , just the same sort of people whom Rigby used to sell to to - save one exception, the higher ranking colonial civil servant.

As an owner of two modern Rigby's I certainly agree with your first three sentences. But as to the rest well it's a fairly broad brush that has been used to describe owners.

I dare say that some fit into that description. But I reckon that the Rigby's offer a pretty good scratch to a vast array of itches afflicting firearm enthusiasts across the entire spectrum.

For me the Rigby's ticked off a few items on the bucket list. Owning and using,

a new "Mauser" branded 98 actioned classic hunting rifle.

a British proof marked rifle.

something that looks great and functioned flawlessly from the shop.

I love mine and they will be the most expensive rifles that I ever buy.

Cheers
Rod

Edited by Rod4861 (14/04/18 12:43 PM)

Rod4861
.300 member

#315277 - 14/04/18 08:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

$1800? Is that a typo?

Rod

I think you are correct. The final price here in Australia turned out to be very close to what they are charging in England. I have spoken to the importer a couple of times and he seems like a really decent chap, very accommodating and obviously not a robber.

Waidmannsheil.

I've known and dealt with Dave Auger for over 30 years. I can certainly say that he is gentleman and dealing with him has been a pleasure.

Rod

Rod4861
.300 member

#315278 - 14/04/18 09:03 AM

Quote:

Rod, good to see that you are happy with it. Have you been hunting with it yet? Are you using a scope and if so what rings and bases did you use?

Waidmannsheil.

Have not hunted with either as of yet. I have numerous excuses for that but hopefully both will see the paddock in a few months.

The DSB is scoped, the rings are those supplied by Rigby and I have a 1 to 4 Kahles on it. I'll try and post some photos in a day or so. The Highlander is yet to be scoped. I have a 4x S&B sitting here for her and I'm planning on some QD mounts EAW.

Cheers
Rod

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#315279 - 14/04/18 09:54 AM

Sounds good, certainly looking forward to some photos.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Rod4861
.300 member

#331986 - 07/09/19 07:55 AM

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#332020 - 07/09/19 07:24 PM

Those rifles look lovely. Well done.

Also must be reasonably slim as the scopes look quite big on the rifles(?).

BTW what is a DSB? Double square bridge?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rod4861
.300 member

#332026 - 07/09/19 11:02 PM

Quote:

Those rifles look lovely. Well done.

Also must be reasonably slim as the scopes look quite big on the rifles(?).

BTW what is a DSB? Double square bridge?

Yep, DSB is Double Square Bridge.

Rod

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #332054 - 08/09/19 08:21 AM

Rod that's the 5th rifle I have seen you and that particular pig pose with, and as for having you pet mutt play dead.

Just joking folks.

Rod4861
.300 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #332058 - 08/09/19 09:44 AM

Quote:

Rod that's the 5th rifle I have seen you and that particular pig pose with, and as for having you pet mutt play dead.

Just joking folks.

I thought that and the arseless chaffs were our secret !

Cheers mate.

Rod

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#332060 - 08/09/19 09:52 AM

Certainly looks very nice. I can see how you would be pretty happy with them.

Matt.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#332144 - 10/09/19 11:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just joking folks.

Cheers mate.

Rod

The Nick Harvey and mates secret to magazine article writing? Not the "chaps" ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rod4861
.300 member

#332151 - 10/09/19 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just joking folks.

Cheers mate.

Rod

The Nick Harvey and mates secret to magazine article writing? Not the "chaps" ...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#332155 - 10/09/19 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just joking folks.

Nick Harvey and co were alleged to take multiple photos with the same stag=, deer, pig etc with multiple rifles, and multiple shooters to allow a number of articles to be written over the later months.

Certainly in my opinion looked that way sometimes, Old Nick with his rifle and a deer, later a mater with the same rifle and a deer, or a different test rifle and the same deer etc.

What I think the joke above was allegeding for me Rod, ie but only as a joke ie the 5th different rifle for the 'same pig'.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 121881

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com