Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun"
      #297325 - 19/03/17 04:51 AM

Making Rigby's Elephant Gun

https://www.facebook.com/JohnRigbyandCo/videos/1044292525677402/

Should have photos for this emailed to me from some time ago when first released.

Photos added (24 March)

Images of the Special Bespoke "London Best" John Rigby & Co. Mauser 98 actioned "The Elephant Gun", chambered in .450 Rigby.

For your viewing pleasure.

If you can not cope with artistically engraved showpiece rifles, please enjoy threads elsewhere. Thanks.

Rigby showcases its exquisite Elephant Gun at Safari Club International Convention

Press Release – 29 January 2017

London gunmaker John Rigby & Co. will be showcasing its highly anticipated elephant skin engraved London Best .450 Rigby rifle at next week’s Safari Club International Convention (SCI), which is being held Wednesday 1 to Saturday 4 February in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The exquisite hand engraving, which covers all metal work and required more than 2,000 hours meticulous craftsmanship, was undertaken by one of Rigby’s master engravers, Tony Maidment. He revealed that the Elephant Gun features around 100,000 individual skin pores. “This is the work I am most proud of in my 36-year career as an engraver. It was technically the most difficult and most challenging but by far the most rewarding. I am so pleased the rifle is going to a home where it will be cherished and looked after.”

Managing director Marc Newton added: “This long-awaited eye-catching rifle has been a joy to create, a real passion project. Historically, Rigby has always been a trailblazer when it comes to creativity, and this latest rifle has all the hallmarks of the much-loved brand. As with all Rigby guns, this beautiful rifle is designed to be used in the field, not just admired under glass.”

The rifle has attracted a lot of interest from collectors all over the world, and recently sold for an undisclosed amount to an oversees big game hunter.

To view the rifle, visit booth #4543 at SCI.

Click on the image for full sized image.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (24/03/17 08:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: NitroX]
      #297336 - 19/03/17 09:04 AM

I normally do not like a lot of engraving but I do like that. I also note with pleasure that the stock is not garish in the amount of figure it has in it. That is one rifle I do like.

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: Rule303]
      #297342 - 19/03/17 01:17 PM

I am still drueling over the last one you posted pic's of, but I don't think this one is one that I could fall in love with.

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: Wayne59]
      #297514 - 22/03/17 08:44 AM

An elephant skin case - OK. Perhaps a patch of elephant skin styled engraving on the floorplate, perhaps. But this seems outside the boundaries of good taste. Even a little weird.

This projects comes from people saying what else can we do, to make a rifle special, but you dont have to do anything, the rifles themselves should be just finely made specimens of a certain type and style, its the associations that make a Rigby special. Adorning the rifles excessively does not make them even more special. Unique yes. But ugly things are unique too.

But then I am not a person who likes engraving on a rifle in general, much less the ones with gold wire and such put into them. I am ambivalent even about case hardened colours. So I am a hard line traditionalist.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #297517 - 22/03/17 10:37 AM

Gets people talking and draws attention to Rigby so it is all good as far as I am concerned. Also draws attention to the capabilities of the various craftsmen who worked on the rifle. Not really to my tastes but there will be some who will love it and I still enjoyed seeing what can be done.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: Claydog]
      #297518 - 22/03/17 11:00 AM

Some want magnesium wheels on their cars, some want steel .

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: gryphon]
      #297519 - 22/03/17 11:22 AM

I'm with the guy from Port Chalmers on this one I'm afraid. Tarting up a Rigby with OTT engraving doesn't make it more attractive to me. It makes it less so. And frankly, I think it's questionable taste at best.

I understand why they want the attention but to my way of thinking it's a bit like putting gold plated door handles on an old Jag. Sure, there's probably a market for it, but is it your target market?

The thing about the old Rigby rifles is that they were, with few exceptions, intended as entirely functional, utterly reliable, sporting rifles - albeit for the very well heeled. They were essentially plain, elegant and very well made and intended to be used.

If it were my company, I'd just be sticking to my knitting rather than branching out into the flamboyant.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Edited by lonewulf (22/03/17 11:30 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: lonewulf]
      #297523 - 22/03/17 12:47 PM

"The thing about the old Rigby rifles is that they were, with few exceptions, intended as entirely functional, utterly reliable, sporting rifles - albeit for the very well heeled. They were essentially plain, elegant and very well made and intended to be used. "

Unless you were a Maharajah!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #297524 - 22/03/17 01:27 PM

I don't like that paticular rifle, but do like some of the others.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

MMBA
.275 member

Reged: 12/12/15
Loc: NSW Australia
      #297525 - 22/03/17 01:28 PM

'is it your target market?' (lonewulf).

That is the essential question for me at least. And if this rifle answers then Rigby is for admirers of metal decoration in my view.

The engraving is astonishing, but vulgar - the rifle has the pox. Yes I am a cranky old fart who will never afford it and the only opinion that matters is that of the buyer and such Rigby must chase or go broke. Fine, I accept that. But even as an advertisement of just what Rigby can do for the buyer I think it misguided - for it is only one thing and not a display of various effects the buyer might like.

Amortise the cost of each workman on this project into the utter reliability and understated elegance of rifles that Rigby is famous for - and what effect on the cost of the new Rigby line around £5-6000? Irrelevant if this rifle is bespoke but core business if a Rigby is just that bit more affordable for those who hunt it. Yes a left hand .275 Rigby is growing in my savings account and dreams.

Looking at books by Dallas engraving was there to trap a film of oil, the wood of perfect grain in the wrist for strength and not so fancy in the butt, for you dont see it when hunting and the dings make for memories - without cringe at despoiling gorgeous wood in thorn country.

Yes I would knock it back. But that is just the view of a dreamy old whinger lol!

MMBA
.275 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: MMBA]
      #297526 - 22/03/17 01:30 PM

Oh, and Gryphon your quote is perhaps what I should have quoted (but I love a good whinge!)

lonewulf
.300 member

#297531 - 22/03/17 01:53 PM

Quote:

'is it your target market?' (lonewulf).

That is the essential question for me at least. And if this rifle answers then Rigby is for admirers of metal decoration in my view.

The engraving is astonishing, but vulgar - the rifle has the pox. Yes I am a cranky old fart who will never afford it and the only opinion that matters is that of the buyer and such Rigby must chase or go broke. Fine, I accept that. But even as an advertisement of just what Rigby can do for the buyer I think it misguided - for it is only one thing and not a display of various effects the buyer might like.

Amortise the cost of each workman on this project into the utter reliability and understated elegance of rifles that Rigby is famous for - and what effect on the cost of the new Rigby line around £5-6000? Irrelevant if this rifle is bespoke but core business if a Rigby is just that bit more affordable for those who hunt it. Yes a left hand .275 Rigby is growing in my savings account and dreams.

Looking at books by Dallas engraving was there to trap a film of oil, the wood of perfect grain in the wrist for strength and not so fancy in the butt, for you dont see it when hunting and the dings make for memories - without cringe at despoiling gorgeous wood in thorn country.

Yes I would knock it back. But that is just the view of a dreamy old whinger lol!

If by that you mean, can I (the lone wooof) afford a new Rigby the answer is .. hell no!

The point I'm struggling to make is this; if you want your rifles to appeal to well bred and well to do gentlemen, (and maybe that isn't the intended market anymore) then I think the use of ostentatious OTT engraving, (at least IMO) in an advert, may be akin to putting a bullet through your own foot.

The Rigby should be understated, not some painted tart, again IMO.

Edited by lonewulf (22/03/17 01:54 PM)

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
      #297532 - 22/03/17 02:00 PM

The well to do chap in England or America is unlikely to want ostentatious display. Asia is a different story I think.
But look at me, speculating on what wealthy people want. I fix up my own guns because I am poor.

But, should moeny become no object in my life, I shall spend my time elephant hunting, but it will be with the standard Rigby Big Game rifle, unadorned.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #297533 - 22/03/17 02:15 PM

I had a good look at the video and dont see it as anything other than a working rifle for a wealthy person.

I would buy that if I won the Euro millions,just to win around the camp fire of bullshit ..he who dies with the most toys wins lol.

btw the crocodile rifle posted prev on here is way more out there imo. I`ll have that fucker too!

--------------------

HendrikNZ
.275 member

Reged: 20/12/10
Loc: New Zealand
      #297534 - 22/03/17 02:42 PM

Quote:

btw the crocodile rifle posted prev on here is way more out there imo. I`ll have that fucker too!

Lol, good to see nothing has changed! Hahaha

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297535 - 22/03/17 02:43 PM

I don't rush to put up works of art on here anymore because the p###ants can't hold it in. This is an absolute work of art, not some old tattered rifle with the rust scoured off it. It is becoming very tiresome how some can't appreciate what they like, but ignore what they don't. Especially over such a work of art so well done in every way.

Would I buy it? Of course not. I wouldn't sell my house my buy a rifle to hang on the wall. I too want working rifles but I can appreciiate works of art.

It is quite a joke to see people saying "if the company was mine, I would be doing ..." when they have absolutely no ffffing idea. Works of art rifles like this one are made for the big gun show and safari club auctions. Putting some plain jane rifle up - "ho hum, who cares? Lets move on ..." would be the result. Instead of huge attention.

"If the company was mine, I would make ... exact copies of the original vintage Rigby ... " as people keep saying on here ... and what? Sell a rifle for $9000 which costs twice as much to make? And go bankrupt instantly. And maybe sell very few as maybe the majority of the modern market does not like the older design anymore? Or sell them at the current Classic London Best price and sell a dozen in a year, instead of ten or twenty dozen of the new design ....

Yeah right ...

Rigby's success has been huge. Huge attention for the works of art showpieces. Sales of the "Big Game Rifle" model at a multiple of the number they expected to sell. No doubt to be repeated with the newly released Highland Stalker. And the Rigby Rising bite doubel rifle, so many orders they closed the order book until they catch up ...

I think this gunmaking company knows what it is doing ...

Again I question why I bother putting up some of the more unusual examples of great gunmaker skill on here. The usual suspects always can't keep their traps shut ... have a look at the gentlemanky code of conduct expected for any member on here for future behaviour.

I may be a bit harsh above, but am busy and will leave it here. Probably will come back and moderate this post when I cool down. This thread was supposed to be a pleasant discussion on a Work of Art rifle, as an archive of the video and to be displayed photos, but nowadays some never fail to not impress ...

Haven't got time for it now, work to do ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (22/03/17 02:54 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297536 - 22/03/17 02:47 PM

Rigby showcases its exquisite Elephant Gun at Safari Club International Convention

Elephant Gun (14 of 15)

London gunmaker John Rigby & Co. will be showcasing its highly anticipated elephant skin engraved London Best .450 Rigby rifle at next week’s Safari Club International Convention (SCI), which is being held Wednesday 1 to Saturday 4 February in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The exquisite hand engraving, which covers all metal work and required more than 2,000 hours meticulous craftsmanship, was undertaken by one of Rigby’s master engravers, Tony Maidment. He revealed that the Elephant Gun features around 100,000 individual skin pores. “This is the work I am most proud of in my 36-year career as an engraver. It was technically the most difficult and most challenging but by far the most rewarding. I am so pleased the rifle is going to a home where it will be cherished and looked after.”

Managing director Marc Newton added: “This long-awaited eye-catching rifle has been a joy to create, a real passion project. Historically, Rigby has always been a trailblazer when it comes to creativity, and this latest rifle has all the hallmarks of the much-loved brand. As with all Rigby guns, this beautiful rifle is designed to be used in the field, not just admired under glass.”

The rifle has attracted a lot of interest from collectors all over the world, and recently sold for an undisclosed amount to an oversees big game hunter.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lonewulf
.300 member

#297538 - 22/03/17 03:02 PM

Hmmm... I suspect your idea of 'art' and mine, are at polar opposites.

Each to his own, I guess...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297540 - 22/03/17 03:07 PM

Mate, and that's the point.

And ordinary working rifle is not a work of art. It is a functional tool.

A rifle covered in engraving, inlay and tremendously figured wood may still be functional, but a $400,000+ (guess) rifle wll probably never see the African red dust.

And some rifles are in between.

And this company knows EXACTLY what it is doing to be a success.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Claydog
.375 member

#297544 - 22/03/17 03:42 PM

Would have to agree. To have Rigbys name where it is now after the California ownership I would imagine the current owners have some idea of what they are doing.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #297555 - 22/03/17 06:15 PM

I would like this Elephant rifle more if these carvings has been made in wooden stock, not in steel.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

GABE93
.275 member

Reged: 01/03/17
Loc: FNQ, AUSTRALIA
      #297563 - 22/03/17 06:57 PM

NitroX,

I very much enjoyed seeing the images of this showpiece Rigby. I hope you keep posting images of any such rifles but also the plainer high quality rifles as there is something to learn from all of them.

Rigby and the engraver of the Elephant rifle have achieved a very high level of work. Rigby has to compete with various other makers building similar showpiece rifles and shotguns. The engraving is not to my personal taste but i still would have been proud to have worked on the stock. In the workshop i probably would have teased the crap out of the poor engraver, tapping away cutting all the little dots and lines for so many hours.

Does anyone here know or talk to any really wealthy gun enthusiasts?, so wealthy they can buy multiples of whatever they want. They live in a different world. The person that bought this rifle probably keeps an elephant as a pet. I would also imagine they have similar deluxe rifles from other makers.

NitroX, re the plainer working rifles, they still can be artistic, by selection of exceptional but conservative wood, stock shaping and exceptional quality checkering and other workmanship in the wood and metal.

Regards,
GABE93

MMBA
.275 member

#297591 - 23/03/17 10:27 AM

John, I have reviewed the 'gentlemanky' code of conduct and in that spirit withdraw 'the rifle has the pox' - too exuberant it seems.

Art or Artifice? The rifle, and similar ones, are proposed as works of Art and please keep them coming even though the response does not meet your opinion on Art. Discussing Art must be subjective - beauty in the eye of the beholder. Art is not about agreement, I suggest, and the gentlemanky code implies that 'pissant' should not be used on those disagreeing with your taste in 'absolute work(s) of art'. BTW where are others praising the Art in question?

So the engraving is, ummm - not a come on or lure, bait or decoy, but a Talking Point to attract surpassing orders for much plainer working rifles that seems to be Rigby's market. Just how well done is this version of Rigby shows in the cap on rising bite orders. And that is as working rifle as comes I believe. Nobody compared this Rigby to Paso Robles or crapped on its business acumen, but discussed one rifle.

7 Freddies hunted around the lambing paddock but back to work for me too.

I remain, Sir, neither gentlemank nor pissant, but in the same tent celebrating what we all enjoy.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #297613 - 23/03/17 04:29 PM

My take on the 'elephant rifle' is that they only had to impress a single client, which they did.
They only had to sell it once to get a return, which they did.
They only needed one buyer to meet their asking price, which they got.

Job done!

Can't wait to see what they come up with next.....

And I will add the comment that in my experience at least, highly-engraved rifles like this one are usually a helluva lot more impressive in the hand than they look on a computer screen.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Rule303
.416 member

#297614 - 23/03/17 05:18 PM

Nitrox,

i would not get upset about the comments you see as negative. A successful company, such as Rigby, also take on board these comments and tailor some of their firearms to this market. That is the plain, not the cheap that is.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297624 - 23/03/17 09:46 PM

Rule303, it is pretty noticeable some seem to look only for negatives.

As for influence, NitroExpress.com did influence the creation of the London Best Classic or Vintage rifle "range". As they are actually custom made, not so much as a range though as orders by the well heeled customers who can afford to have the extra work done, to create an more vintage style of rifle.

As I posted elsewhere, the whiners and whingers just need to open their wallets if they want what they want. And that is from makers such as Rigby, Dorleac and others. The semi "off the shelf" rifles prices reflect quality, but not every last detail.

Or just buy at an auction an original vintage rifle. Once the prices were quite reasonable. But prices I have seen in the last few years have been high. Maybe I am incorrect, I am not in the market whether they are reasonably priced or priced higher so don't follow the market well enough to know.

Back to the Elephant rifle. It was undoubtably made as a statement. To showcase the makers gunmaker skills, and incredible artistic design and application. The patience required to completely engrave the rifle with an "elephant hide" pattern astounds me.

Would I ever want one like it? No. I would like an opportunity to admire and examine such a rifle. I too prefer working rifles of plainer style. And also as I tend to abuse my firearms in the field with real use.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
      #297631 - 23/03/17 11:01 PM

For many years I thanked the buyers who ordered some of the best London guns which I am now custodian of. What sort of person would order a H&H double in 250 rook. At the time I am sure a few eyebrows were raised.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: Ahmed577]
      #297709 - 24/03/17 06:06 PM

An off topic post was cut off and moved to the "General" forum. Off topic posters/disrupters will be suspended in future. I think I made it clear about the use of PMs in the past, not disruptive posts on threads!!!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297710 - 24/03/17 06:10 PM

In all the posts, has anyone had a good look at the rifle.

I for example noticed the bolt handle. Will see if I can load up a photo of it. Nicely turned in to the stock, just like the good old vintage ones were. At least to my eye. I remember someone commenting that the Highland rifles ad bolts sticking out more than the vintage rifle examples. My guess is this might be for modern usage, use of gloves in colder climates, and not just a "style" reason. Nevertheless, the "Elephant" rifle does seem to have the older style bolt handle. Agree or disagree? Or no one noticed ...

One image added.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (24/03/17 06:32 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #297713 - 24/03/17 06:19 PM

Bolt handle looked normal to me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: DarylS]
      #297716 - 24/03/17 06:28 PM

I have to agree with Daryl on the bolt. The more I see this rifle the more I warm to it. Would love to see it in the flesh. I would wager it is not as obtrusive as the close ups make it look.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297717 - 24/03/17 06:35 PM

The rifle is certainly well decorated with its theme engraving. No doubt about it.

For a working elephant rifle, the same beast ie rifle, plain and without most of the engraving in .450 Rigby would be quite acceptable. IMO anyway.

Found the PR email received on Jan 30, and loaded one image up.

I will put the rest of the photos up soon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297719 - 24/03/17 06:51 PM

Images of the Special Bespoke "London Best" John Rigby & Co. Mauser 98 actioned "The Elephant Gun", chambered in .450 Rigby.

For your viewing pleasure.

If you can not cope with artistically engraved showpiece rifles, please enjoy threads elsewhere. Thanks.

Click on the image for full sized image.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#297723 - 24/03/17 08:23 PM

If they had of jewelled the bolt I would buy it!

Outrageous,ostentatious,incredible,innovative...and another 100 words of description all combine to form one..expensive lol!

I love it!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297724 - 24/03/17 08:45 PM

Quote:

If they had of jewelled the bolt I would buy it!

Outrageous,ostentatious,incredible,innovative...and another 100 words of description all combine to form one..expensive lol!

I love it!

Jeez, mate, jewelling the bolt, that would be a bit over the top! Wouldn't it?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#297730 - 24/03/17 09:55 PM

I noticed the bolt handle and it is one criticism of the Rigby Line that I have. It is too far forward of the trigger IMHO. I like the bolt knob to be as close to or slightly behind the trigger. I find these position more natural when moving from trigger to bolt and back again. When I tries the mates Rigby I found it took some getting use to and un natural. However the trigger is one of, if not the best I have ever tried.

Matter of fact the rifle,a 375H&H, was for me, heavier than needed but boy didn't it balance, come to the shoulder and swing well. If I had the money I would have a brace of 4, 275Rigby, 375 H&H, 416 and 450 Rigby.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297774 - 25/03/17 05:48 PM

Quote:

I noticed the bolt handle and it is one criticism of the Rigby Line that I have. It is too far forward of the trigger IMHO. I like the bolt knob to be as close to or slightly behind the trigger. I find these position more natural when moving from trigger to bolt and back again. When I tries the mates Rigby I found it took some getting use to and un natural. However the trigger is one of, if not the best I have ever tried.

Matter of fact the rifle,a 375H&H, was for me, heavier than needed but boy didn't it balance, come to the shoulder and swing well. If I had the money I would have a brace of 4, 275Rigby, 375 H&H, 416 and 450 Rigby.

So you have handled this rifle? Because the bolt on this rifle was where my question was directed.

For a reason.

As for the "bolt being too far forward of the trigger" in general, isn't it a standard distance for ANY Mauser 98? The only difference being the bolt handle shape. And perhaps where the trigger lies in the guard?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

GABE93
.275 member

Reged: 01/03/17
Loc: FNQ, AUSTRALIA
      #297778 - 25/03/17 06:27 PM

This trigger is a very long way back in the gaurd bow. Probably deliberate choice, to make more room for trigger finger, to avoid bumping into the floorplate latch. Other triggers arn't as far back.

The trigger finger loop would have to be in the middle of the gaurd bow, like a military trigger, to be close to the bolt knob but i think it would look a bit odd that far forward.

The bolt handle is just the normal straight Mauser bolt handle, no sweep back. The bolt handle/knob perhaps lies a bit closer to the stock, as per NitroX's comment.

Perhaps Rigby would sweep the bolt handle back if requested. Just needs to be heated up near the root and give it a good whack with the hammer !!!

Regards,
GABE93

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: GABE93]
      #297785 - 25/03/17 07:02 PM

Yes I agree the trigger is well back in the guard. On this rifle. I would have to look at a photo at whatever model was actually being referred to. As it wasn't this rifle.

But I wonder how some guys change from rifle to rifle in actual use with some of these minor details ...

I seem to be able to handle, one day using my M98 .30-06, the next moment, using my .375 M98 with probably a different trigger and bolt position. Then a .303 SMLE or my Mauser M03 with a very different trigger, bolt and safety ... and switching to a shotgun or double rifle with twin triggers, even cope somehow, I actually don't know, switching to my single trigger Valmet shotgun/double rifle. The last one, one two occasions I DID try to pull the rear of the guard I will admit ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297786 - 25/03/17 07:03 PM

Quote:

Mate, you missed out the .350 Rigby.

That battery would all cost you a pretty penny in total!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#297788 - 25/03/17 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mate, you missed out the .350 Rigby.

That battery would all cost you a pretty penny in total!

Damn I did to and yes I would need a major win in a big lotto payday.

No I have not handled that rifle but have a mates Rigby. And like most Mauser I find the bolt knob to be to far forward for my liking. Does not mean can't operate them, just means not to my liking. I find the SMLE bolt knob to be in the best position. As the finger leaves the trigger it is traveling upwards and backwards. Remember the bolt will be be moving in the same direction. Same in reverse when closing the bolt. A gentle curve to the rear like the CZ550 would help.

Most other bolt knobs are above or very slightly forward of the trigger. Reason for the big dog leg in the P14/M17 bolt. Just my preferences is all and certainly would not stop me buying one.

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
      #297794 - 25/03/17 10:50 PM

Once gun embellishment was very important to me. You could easily add 40 percent to the cost. Today I can't go past traditional engraving That is PURDEY rose and scroll as an example. A best gun highly embellished is destined to become highly sought after. Thank god some people are prepared to do it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: Ahmed577]
      #297796 - 26/03/17 02:41 AM

As I said in the title, "something different". I don't think anyone could argue the work here is not "well executed" even if they do not personally like the total end result. Or would want to own it.

These showpiece works are meant to be spectacular and create attention and discussion. This clearly worked.

Something to look at.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297798 - 26/03/17 02:44 AM

I think that floorplate and trigger guard is pretty spectacular. Not all that practical for a rifle for an actual elephant hunt, if one wanted to keep it pristine, but spectacular and well executed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #297872 - 27/03/17 02:48 AM

I wonder if setting the trigger back farther in the guard isn't actually a better placement on a dangerous game gun than the standard.
Seems to me that it would be best that there would be zero possibility of tripping your trigger finger on the back of the trigger when working the bolt and firing in fast succession. Placing the trigger farther back means that if your fingertip is anywhere within the guard, there is no doubt that you are in a position to fire.
I think this particular rifle is pretty awesome.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: Huvius]
      #297937 - 27/03/17 04:15 PM

That is something I have done on the last three builds, by cutting two triggers and making one out of them to place the finger piece closer to the rear of the guard by another 1/4 inch. It not only makes for more finger room in the guard but it looks a great deal better as well (to me anyway) One very important advantage, especially on a heavy recoiling rifle is that it puts the finger bow of the T/G just that little bit further forward and reduces the possibility of recoil induced finger bruising.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: VonGruff]
      #298263 - 01/04/17 11:09 PM

Elephant hide against skin of a skate

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: justcurious]
      #298266 - 02/04/17 12:44 AM

Not something I would hunt with but certainly a piece of art worthy of any museum.

Simply stunning.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: Rell]
      #298274 - 02/04/17 03:30 AM

What is a skate?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
      #298275 - 02/04/17 03:34 AM

Wingfish

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun" [Re: justcurious]
      #298277 - 02/04/17 04:07 AM

they are like a stingray without the sting.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#298281 - 02/04/17 04:38 AM

Dankeschoern Gentlemen.

Not to bad a result, considering one is real leather and the other engraved steel. Great attention to detail all over and must have taken many many hours.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
      #298284 - 02/04/17 05:10 AM

Wow! There is some stunning workmanship in that rifle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13203

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com