Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #296944 - 13/03/17 07:40 AM

A friend of mine visited IWA here last week and handled the Rigby stalker rifle. He was very impressed(and very tempted to order one). Best gun for the money in comparison to Karl Hauptmann and Peter Hofer.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: rigbymauser]
      #296969 - 13/03/17 12:32 PM

I particularly liked seeing the leather muzzle-cover on the stalking rifle in the promotional video, since I recently acquired from the previous owner that which came fitted to the Rigby .275 in my gunsafe. Sure looks better than a couple of wraps of insulation tape! (although it must be removed before shooting of course, that is not an issue with the style of deer-stalking portrayed in the youtube clip)

Also, in line with some of the comments here, I personally think 7.8 lbs may be a little heavier than it needs to be for the .275 chambering. What we like about these classic sporters is their slender elegance, and IMO Jeffery and Rigby sporters from the good'ol'days got it right at 6.5 to 7 lbs. My example weighs 6lbs 9oz for example, and my friend's Jeffery is a hair under 7lbs.

Nevertheless, the Highland Stalker is a marvellous thing to be producing and promoting at this level against the incoming tide of black plastic and stainless steel, and the people at Rigby's are to be commended.

A reminder too that your next custom stalker or big game rifle can be built 'virtually' and priced up on the Rigby website. I go there occasionally to dream....!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #296975 - 13/03/17 01:20 PM

Quote:

Also, in line with some of the comments here, I personally think 7.8 lbs may be a little heavier than it needs to be for the .275 chambering. What we like about these classic sporters is their slender elegance, and IMO Jeffery and Rigby sporters from the good'ol'days got it right at 6.5 to 7 lbs. My example weighs 6lbs 9oz for example, and my friend's Jeffery is a hair under 7lbs.

Somethng to bear in mind. Some of those sorts of weights, in a walnut all steel rifle are in the modern "custom" range of rifle design. So if someone wanted that, paying for a custom rifle - London Best - could probably deliver it. A 6 1/2 lb all steel walnut rifle today usually has other compromises which usually would mean lesser walnut or a lighter wood or a lightweight 'plastic' stock, shorter barrel, alloy use not steel etc etc. Walnut and all steel would require a lot of extra work. At least that is my opinion. And at twice the price ... The average rifle buyer would not want to pay the premium for all of that.

Also in .30-06, 8x57S, and especially 9.3x62 a 6 1/2 lb rifle would be too light for many owners. Many would stick a huge heavy scope on top of it anyway.

Same as comments as people saying "I prefer a ######". Yep at TWICE the price or more of course the fully custom bespoke rifle is often nicer and has higher quality features. You pay in life for what you get. The other brand(s) mentioned do cost over TWICE as much. Rigby's London Best custom rifles also start at twice the price of the Highland Stalker model. What does a vintage Rigby go for nowadays? Don't answer on this thread, start a new one if people are interested, but I was shocked to see one priced in the USA at over US$20,000!!! All it costs is money for everything people want. whether old or new ... ha ha, my wallet is not bottomless obviously like some people's are ...

Quote:

Nevertheless, the Highland Stalker is a marvellous thing to be producing and promoting at this level against the incoming tide of black plastic and stainless steel, and the people at Rigby's are to be commended.

A reminder too that your next custom stalker or big game rifle can be built 'virtually' and priced up on the Rigby website. I go there occasionally to dream....!

And these steel and walnut rifles whether the Big Game model or this new Highland Stalker rifle are much in the news and sell like hot cakes. I think this new model will sell faster than it can be made for a period of time. Even at the price it costs.

Didn't know that. Will have to look at the website.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (13/03/17 01:29 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #296979 - 13/03/17 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jim Corbett's .275 nestled amongst the new Highland Stalkers.

Read a comment today. The new rifles also can be ordered with the option of the bolt shroud/cocking piece peep sight.

On the rounding of pads Marc Newton of Rigby has sent me some comments. He keenly reads the Rigby posts here and obviously takes the feedback and comments seriously.

Marc Newton comments:

An FYI on the edges of the pads, they are all like this until we fit them to each customer. This is included in the price.

You can cut them down, you cannot grow them back

The stock is also very slim and 'snakey' in the hands has Paul Roberts used to say to me. It handles like a magic wand and there is nothing else like it on the market for the same price.

Lastly the rifle in the middle of the guns on the table is Jim corbetts .275. It's so worn there is no chequering and the grip has lost a fair amount of wood all over.

Someone else said this on the Rigby pages, about the rifle second from the right, that the stock has a real "Tiger" striping to the walnut grain. Fabulous walnut on that stock. Rigby shouldn't show that rifle too much as everyone will want one with a stock like that.

What I like about that stock, and hopefully the blank I have put away does have a similar result when cut, is it is a "Tiger" rifle. In a .275, a calibre Corbett DID use for a maneater tiger hunt.

"The Chowgarh Tiger" by David Southgate

(Not sure if the special awarded "plate" rifle was the one used at the time or awarded later? But cool painting by David Southgate of the event.)

If you remember I had/have (a long term project, slow finances) a project to build my "tiger rifle", using a highly grained striped red tinged stock. Agonised and consulted on the chambering/cartridge choice. I did pick the .318 WR. But what could be better than a .275! However I will stick to the .318 for that project. .275 might work "one handed"! But is not a tiger calibre of choice!

I think the Rigby stock above has even more of a Tiger striping pattern than mine.

"Tiger" M98 rifle
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=86030&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297000 - 14/03/17 12:33 AM

Off topic posts transferred to a new thread. In Mauser forum.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297010 - 14/03/17 01:46 AM

Now that I have wasted an hour providing answers to the off topic queries on a new thread and also on PMs ...

Anyway, now I can bring some new CONTENT to the forums. Which is much more constructive.

I saw that the Rigby peep sight was an option for this rifle. At additional cost of course. So went looking:

I particularly like these peep sights. But having a scope, express wide V open sights and a peep sight, maybe a bit over kill, hey?

Also on the London Best page as Marrakai points out, one can construct one's own order. The Holland & Holland side mount was also listed there as an option. At additional price of course ...

So all your wants can be answered. All you need do is actually order, request the features and then pay for them. The last bit is what a lot of people forget in their armchair wish lists. it has to be paid for as well. The prices are all up there on the webpage.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (14/03/17 01:48 AM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #297449 - 21/03/17 07:40 AM

The importer here in Australia gave me a call letting me know that they have quite a few guns in all calibers arriving in May. Price will be AUD $11990 which is very close to the US price allowing a small bit for freight, customs etc. Very reasonable I thought and the importer was very helpful. There will be four stores around the country who will stock rifles so that people can have a look before they buy. I asked him about the recoil pad as Marc Newton from Rigby explained to us that it would be fitted to suit the customers requirements and that was included in the price. He wasn't aware of that but is going to find out and let me know how that would be achieved.

http://www.protactical.com.au/

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #297452 - 21/03/17 09:13 AM

I must confess I saw this and thought, to heavy for a 7x57, then I reread and saw 9.3x62 .....

I love a scoped light 9.3x62 as a companion for my 450-400 3. This is a steel for a light weight walking Safari rifle. Would have been perfect in Cameroon for Buff / Roan / Lord Darby Eland.

Very tempting, I'll have to pay attention at DSC show next year.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Rell]
      #298141 - 30/03/17 10:19 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Further to this original post, I see www.qldgunexchange.com have these new Rigby Highland Stalkers, for sale at $12,000.00.
FYI, I just looked on their web site, and no details are posted there at present.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Homer]
      #298199 - 31/03/17 10:26 AM

This thread is not helpful.

The more I look at and read about these Rigbys, the more I need one.

A 275 with a peep sight would make a superb addition to my safe!!!

The perfect Chital rifle!

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: gwh]
      #298201 - 31/03/17 11:00 AM

Quote:

This thread is not helpful.

The more I look at and read about these Rigbys, the more I need one.

A 275 with a peep sight would make a superb addition to my safe!!!

The perfect Chital rifle!

I completely agree.
Just what I need, another rifle for whitetailed deer!
Really love the look of these Rigbys but my wallet keeps telling me Husqvarna.
Oh well, its nice to look!

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #308440 - 28/11/17 09:51 PM

Gentlemen, has anybody on this forum purchased a "Highland Stalker" and if so, what is the general feeling. Good, bad, worth the money etc. Thanks.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#308442 - 28/11/17 10:09 PM

Quote:

Gentlemen, has anybody on this forum purchased a "Highland Stalker" and if so, what is the general feeling. Good, bad, worth the money etc. Thanks.

Waidmannsheil.

Have seen several new owners of them on the net in various places. Also lots of gunshops advertising them.

Would be good to read an impartial direct independent unbiased review by an actual owner of one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#310778 - 21/01/18 07:48 PM

Gentlemen,
I have had the opportunity to handle a Rigby Highland stalker in 275 Rigby at $12000 AUD as well as the new Mauser 98 Expert (Equivalent to the old Model A) in 30-06 at $10000 AUD. I didn’t get to shoot them, only handle them in the shop, however I thought some of you might be interested in what I found. Please remember though that these are my opinions only.

- The Rigby is a very nice looking gun that is well finished and handles beautifully. The Mauser is also well finished and handles beautifully but is let down by the stock. I will get to that later.

- Both guns use the same 98 action and floor plate. The Rigby has a Nitre blued extractor and a polished and blued bolt handle, the bolt body appears to be nickel plated. The Mauser has a bolt and handle that are bright polished and possibly hard chromed. The handle on both guns are ergonomic and work well, are easy to grab and cycle.

- There is a small lug to the rear of the bolt handle which rests against the extractor to minimise bolt slop which seems to work well.

- The firing pin fall has been reduced to about 7mm and therefore the bolt handle is very easy to lift and the action is easy to cock. About the same effort as a Model 70.

- The bolt shroud is modern interpretation of the old style and is probably the ugliest part on the gun. It works well and is nicely machined but its appearance takes some getting used to.

- The safety is a 3 position side swing type but it is nothing like a Model 70 or a Recknagel Mauser type. While the latter two operate through 90 degrees with the middle position being zero and therefore 45 degrees forward to fire and 45 degrees back for safe, the new Mauser is 45 degrees forward to fire and about 85 degrees backward to safe. It is stiff and hard to use and you cannot just throw the gun up and flick the safety off in one move. It must be a deliberate move sideways or else nothing happens. Even though the lever is longer than a Model 70, it takes more effort to move. The argument used is that it is less likely to be knocked of safe if you are going through scrub, although I have carried my Model 70 through extremely thick scrub many times and never had it knock of safe even once. Interestingly, on the Rigby London Best they use a Recknagel unit, which apparently is less safe.

- I have read several write ups on both these rifles and they all mention that the action is buttery smooth to operate, however both these rifles were anything but. I am sure that over time they will become smooth but both of these were brand new out of the box and failed to impress. It was if they had been nicely machined but not polished afterwards at all. You could feel resistance and they were quite easy to bind. I know that they are a semi-production gun and not a full custom but for twelve grand I expect buttery smooth.

- The trigger was very crisp with no creep but set to light, at least for me. Apparently they can be adjusted.

- The floor plate release worked well but the floor plate doesn’t open up wide enough to let the follower or the ammo out of the magazine box.

- All the screws are timed on both guns which looks very nice, but of course with CNC is easy to achieve. They certainly won’t be done by hand.

- The finish on both guns is very nice, a sort of bright satin finish and while it is not a cold rust blue, it is very nice and looks functional, and of course far more corrosion resistant. The finish complemented the gun, it didn’t detract in any way.

- The engraving on the Rigby is very tastefully done and perfectly executed, it looks superb.

- The barrel is probably the biggest let down of all. They are beautifully machined but are a sort of light varmint profile ending in a muzzle of 17 mm diameter. In other words they have used a barrel suitable for the 9.3mm and used the same profile down to 7mm which makes it look sniperish, especially at 22 inches long and makes it unnecessarily heavy as well. It suits the 9.3 but not the 275. My Model 70 Featherweight in 308 has muzzle dimeter of 14 mm which looks really good and you can see a nice amount of taper. The Rigby and Mauser look almost parallel.

- Proof marks are laser engraved which looks cheap but at least the Rigby had 275 Rigby/7x57on it so you can take it to Africa more easily.

- The sights and sling swivel base on the Rigby are very nice and look very much like the original. The Mauser are all straight from the Recknagel catalogue but are very nice and tasteful. Interestingly, as the sights are nitrided along with the barrel and action it is not possible to inlay the gold line in the traditional manner as the gold line would be nitrided black as well. Instead they drill a hole down parallel to the face of the standing leaf and allow the drill to break through the face. The sights are nitrided and afterwards they insert a small brass pin which shows as a thin gold line. Quite clever.

- On both guns the open sights worked perfectly, as well as I could try them in the shop, but they came up perfectly every time and on target.

- The stock on the Rigby is superb, it feels great in the hand, was finished in a lovely reddish tone and the checkering was perfect, no flaws and felt great, not to course or fine, just right. All the pores were sealed and the finish used looks really nice. The recoil pad is perfectly fitted and looks superb. The length of pull and the recoil pad final shape can be adjusted from the factory to suit the buyer. The stock is definitely the best part of the whole package, it is the strongest selling point.

- The stock on the Mauser was terrible, nicely made and shaped although it could have been a little trimmer. It has a nice cheek piece and a nice shape but the finish is disgusting. It looks like something on a gun for under a grand, very plastic and a strange coffee colour. The checkering is laser cut and looks like shit. If you ordered in a Mauser and saw that stock for the first time when you opened the box you would be really pissed off, especially if you had paid a big deposit or even in full. Interestingly there were half a dozen M12 Mausers on the shelf, all of them had a much nicer looking stock in every regard, and that on a gun worth $2000. The stock was the worst part of the Mauser and it would put you of buying one for sure. At least for me.

- The stock on both guns were very well fitted and although free-floated, the gap was very small and even all the way around.

- Both guns were nicely balanced and handled well, came up to the shoulder nicely and the sights line up perfectly. Both guns were too heavy for their size, especially the Rigby 275.

- As the factory scope bases for both models are hideous I asked the Rigby importer if it is possible to supply your own bases and rings and have them sent over to Rigby and have them finished in the same nitride finish. The answer was an immediate yes. I also asked if the engraving could be changed to show 175 grain bullet instead of 140 grain. Again the answer was yes. Finally could the sights be factory regulated for the 175 grain bullet, again yes with a small surcharge which is understandable. With the Mauser I was just talking to a sales guy who of course said no to everything but maybe if one spoke to the importer the answers would be different. It definitely seems as if Rigby are happy for a certain amount of customisation.

- A quick inflation check of the Rigby showed that a Rigby No.2 sold in 1924 for 26 Pound and 5 Shillings, which equates to roughly 1500 Pounds today. I took an average from several websites. The Highland stalker sells for 5413 Pounds plus VAT today, so a difference of 4000 pounds plus VAT.

- Are the guns good value, hard to say? If you base it on the inflation calculator then the answer would be no, but if you look at them today and base it on what we pay for other items it gets closer but I would still say no. While the Rigby has some very nice touches which make it very desirable, there are too many things which are designed around mass production, such as the barrel and the rough cycling which for me reduce the value of the gun. Is it a $12000 gun, I would say no. $6000 to $8000 is probably more realistic, but then they are selling like hotcakes so obviously I must be wrong. The Mauser is definitely not worth $10000 as it is a glorified mass production gun, nice but not worth the money.

- Hope everyone found this interesting and of some use. Remember, these are my opinions after looking at the guns for no more than 15 minutes each, however first impressions count for a lot.

- Enjoy.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #310779 - 21/01/18 08:30 PM

Thank you Waidmannsheil, much interesting feedback.

L&O Holdings (Luke & Ortmeier, who own Mauser, Blaser, Sauer, Rigby, etc.) are unfortunately not an exception to the rule in an era where manufacturing techniques allow profit maximisation and where the bulk of customers buy first a brand before buying a product. As you fairly highlighted it, their products are quality ones however not meeting with specialist customers' expectations when it comes to the detail.

By chance, some specialised rifle makers can still make our dreams reality!

Best regards.

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Louis]
      #310781 - 21/01/18 09:41 PM

Thanks Waidmannsheil. Interesting.

Quote:

Thank you Waidmannsheil, much interesting feedback.

L&O Holdings (Luke & Ortmeier, who own Mauser, Blaser, Sauer, Rigby, etc.) are unfortunately not an exception to the rule in an era where manufacturing techniques allow profit maximisation and where the bulk of customers buy first a brand before buying a product. As you fairly highlighted it, their products are quality ones however not meeting with specialist customers' expectations when it comes to the detail.

By chance, some specialised rifle makers can still make our dreams reality!

Best regards.

Louis, who exactly are Luke & Ortmeier Holdings? Is it a publicly listed company, an unlisted public compnay, or a private company? Any other information? The individuals behind the group of companies? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #310788 - 21/01/18 11:46 PM

Thanks for the in-depth review it was greatly appreciated. I have handled one of the highland stalker rifles and liked the feel of it though I much preferred the weight and balance of my 1952 275 Rigby for a rifle of that caliber. It used to sit up on the Toyota bonnet in an unzipped soft case with the hinges stopping it from sliding forward in the event that we saw a “wild dog” Not sure I could come at that with a $14000.00 modern version.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Claydog]
      #310793 - 22/01/18 04:19 AM

Quote:

Louis, who exactly are Luke & Ortmeier Holdings? Is it a publicly listed company, an unlisted public compnay, or a private company? Any other information? The individuals behind the group of companies? Thanks.

Maybe this link helps a little:

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shooting/pistols/GSG-new-management/

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Igorrock]
      #310798 - 22/01/18 08:41 AM

Nitrox, in addition to the information already provided by Igorrock: L&O Holdings are a holding headquartered at Emsdetten (north west Germany), which invests in the two main sectors of firearms and specialised fabrics; they are a purely financial structure investing in financially rewarding sectors and aiming at being world leaders in their market segments; the two principals, Michael Lüke and Thomas Ortmeier, as well as their group, have a very low and much controlled media exposure; I am not aware that L&O Holdings compiles annual financial statements, but in most countries holdings are exempted from that obligation. That's all that I know. Best regards. Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #310813 - 22/01/18 03:20 PM

Waidmannsheil,

I have only handled the Highland Stalker in 30-06 not the Mauser. I do agree with about the Rigby especially the weight. As one bloke said to me, they are trade guns. IE produced without full attention to detail, barrel profile, roughness of the bolt etc. For the price I agree but despite these detraction's it is a very nice rifle. The big thing I do like is the length of pull. It is somewhere north of 14" which is what I need and want. Even CZ550's do not give you a decent length of pull. They do come to the should nicely. The timber is top class and this I think is reflected in the price.

If I had the money to have one I would order it to be same weight, barrel profile, plain grain in the stock, etc of the 1920/30's models.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #310834 - 23/01/18 01:00 AM

Quote:

If I had the money to have one I would order it to be same weight, barrel profile, plain grain in the stock, etc of the 1920/30's models.

Me too. I would love a Rigby Rigby .275. But the London Best, bespoke price is even higher.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Louis]
      #310835 - 23/01/18 01:04 AM

Louis and Igorrock, thanks. Had heard of the L&O group before. Was just wondering on their structure etc. But typical German structure of a private company owning some quite large to very large companies.

In UK, Aust, USA, etc, it is the opposite and usually such companies always ultimately end up being publicly listed groups.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #310942 - 24/01/18 06:40 PM

life is just to short to handle new made guns!

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

10generation
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/17
Loc: CA
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #313885 - 12/03/18 07:32 AM

Interesting thread. I was interested in the stalker and spent time handling them at SCI.

I agree 100% with Waidmannsheil!

My main issue was the barrel contour. Marc said it was fixed across all the calibers. As a result, I found the .275 (which was the caliber I wanted to buy) just too heavy, did not balance lightly between the hands. I do think the 9.3x62 could be great as it will weigh a bit less given more metal being taken out of the bore and I'd like more weight for that caliber.

My personal opinion is that this rifle is for someone who wants to own a Rigby, lots of emphasis on the look, the options (cosmetic options vs barrel contour as an example), and the wood grades, but does feel like a one size fits all rifle.

Curious to see if they decide to modify the contours by caliber a bit, would be surprised if that is a huge impact on cost or manufacturing.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: 10generation]
      #313889 - 12/03/18 09:08 AM

Hi 10gen and welcome to the forum. Yes for me the barrel contour and weight as well as the safety were the two main reasons for not purchasing one. The safety I could have lived with and re-programmed my thumb but the barrel just turned me off. I too wanted to buy a 275 but with that barrel it was like a varmint rifle. I had mentally prepared myself to save up and sell a number of other guns to help finance the purchase but when I actually went and handled the rifle in question I was underwhelmed.

Of course if they change the barrel profile then they also need to make new sights however I think they could have got away with two profiles. A slim one for the 275, 308, and 30-06 and a heavier one for the 8x57 and 9.3x62.

Blaser however are masters of mass production and using the smallest number of components possible across the range of products. You can see that for instance with their U/O double rifle which is nothing more than their combination gun with a rifle barrel insert fitted to the shotgun barrel. According to them it is done that way for regulation purposes which it does, but of course it also reduces manufacturing costs. You won't see any pictures by Blaser showing the insides of the actions on their break action guns because they are ugly. There is no gun makers craft, only clever engineering designed to work reliably and reduce manufacturing costs. Unfortunately it generally looks ugly. If Blaser were involved in the automotive trade they would be very successful.

I have wondered who Rigby's target audience is regarding this rifle and have come to the conclusion that it is not rifle enthusiasts like us but cashed up newbies. The popularity of deer stalking has increased dramatically in the UK as well as in most places around the world and while most people will buy a Sako or Blaser etc. there will be those that have a good job and reasonable amounts of disposable cash, and can afford $12000 without having to have a savings plan. They have a basic understanding of the Rigby history and like the image it portrays. They probably also know of Holland & Holland but do not want to spend 40000 pounds plus to own one and therefore the Rigby is ideal. I also believe that most of these new Rigby Highland owners are not the type to have a lot of guns, probably just the Rigby, a shotgun and a 22. Is that bad, no not at all, but I believe that is why the Highland Stalker is selling like hotcakes even though it doesn't excite the gun enthusiast.

The same thing happened with Jeep when they brought out the four door JK. Until then Jeeps were bought by enthusiasts who had always had Jeeps, had been four wheel driving most of their life and had some mechanical knowledge often working on their cars themselves. However when the JK came along that all changed. A new breed started buying these Jeeps because of the massive advertising campaign that Jeep ran at the time showing the adventure that came along with owning one and catchy slogans which made you feel like being part of a family if you owned a JK. It was very clever and they were bought up as fast as they could make them by people who had never been four wheel driving or camping before, had never worked on cars but liked the image. Mostly middle management, advertising and marketing people. The plan worked very well but was let down by Jeeps terrible customer service, poor reliability and horrendous parts prices. I believe the same type of customer is buying the Highland stalker. IMHO of course.

Waidmannsheil.

Edited by Waidmannsheil (12/03/18 09:09 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 122367

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com