Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: GABE93]
      #296287 - 05/03/17 02:53 AM

I suspect that the high mounted sights are standardised for the new rifle as you can see in the photo of the unscoped rifle.
So, if you decide to mount the Mauser system scope on the action, you can still see the sights over them. A good idea but they just look tall on the unscoped rifle.
Looks to be very good quality too. I wonder, are we entering the era when a US custom gunmaker can't build you a rifle as well done as a new Rigby for the same price?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #296303 - 05/03/17 09:34 AM

Hi Gabe, great to see you on board and welcome. I have seen some of your work, fantastic to say the least.

The Rigby pictures show two types of recoil pads, one that is quite square to the bore and second one that has more pitch and a more pronounced toe.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #296308 - 05/03/17 10:09 AM

Huvius, the open sights are definitely higher, obviously to suit the straighter stock. Many modern guns are now like this and it is an unfortunate consequence of making the stock suit telescopic sights first and open sights second. However as you said, they don't look out of place when a scope is fitted.

As to the question of the American custom gunmakers, I believe it depends on what level of gun they are offering. Rigby have two models in deer sized calibers, the "London best" and the "Off the shelf" model. In the London best category the top US makers can more than hold their own, you only have to look at makers such as Reto Buhler, his work is amazing but then many of the parts used on the gun he makes himself such as the open sights and the stocks are made to measure, therefore the gun is a true custom gun.
With the Highland Stalker you have an "Off the shelf" gun which uses several off the shelf items such as sights, scope bases and safety, as well as minimal engraving. If the US custom makers are producing a "Ready to wear" gun they too will use as many off the shelf items as they can, a stock roughed out on a pantograph and little to no engraving, in which case I think they can hold their own. David Miller has such a business model with an expensive custom gun and a "ready to wear" at a significantly lower price.

Rigby of course has an advantage by being owned by Mauser in that they will be able to buy actions at a significantly reduced price.

It will be interesting to see what prices they want here in Australia.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #296309 - 05/03/17 10:54 AM

Quote:

A comparison.

Vintage 1900 Rigby .275

Modern Rigby Highland Stalker .275

I do like the top rifle. I can see why the bottom rifle would be available in up to 9.362- that ctg. seems perfect for it, judging by the barrel size.
The heavier (larger dia.), shorter barrel on the new rifle just seem a bit heavy to me. I also prefer the general "lines" of the 1900 version.
The new one, for me, would be perfect in a 9.3x62, for all-round use, not just a stocking rifle. Just my preference and opinion, is all.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #296311 - 05/03/17 11:03 AM

Daryl, I agree, in 9.3x62 it would have to be one of the best all round rifles available, especially for our Sambar deer while the 275 Rigby would be superb for Fallow deer. Personally I think the straighter stock looks better on a rifle with scope while a rifle using open sights only looks better with more drop in the stock. IMO.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

GABE93
.275 member

Reged: 01/03/17
Loc: FNQ, AUSTRALIA
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #296313 - 05/03/17 11:25 AM

Hi Waidmannsheil,
Thanks for the compliment. Yes you can see a bit of difference in the stocks with the 2 different recoil pads.

This model is their "off the shelf" model isn't it, not bespoke? If you keep studying the images you will see a few areas were they have reduced the build time to save some cost. Anyway it looks pretty good, I couldn't build anything like it for the price they are charging.

GABE93

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #296329 - 05/03/17 06:40 PM

The launch of the Highland Stalker at IWA, 2017.

Marc Newton, CEO presents the new Highland Stalker to the tune of bagpipes.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnRigbyandCo/videos/1059786614127993/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #296334 - 05/03/17 07:35 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Homer]
      #296338 - 05/03/17 08:19 PM

Looks like it would have been a lot of fun, pretty exciting as well seeing the gun for the first time and although it is new it sort of has history already. I hope the Rigby company has success with it. I have a feeling it is going to be a good seller and it is good to see these old companies making new product again. It is a pity that Jeffery's is not producing any guns at the moment, at least not in the same sort of price range. Maybe things will change.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Rino
.300 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Norway/South-Africa
      #296346 - 05/03/17 10:08 PM

Quote:

With the Mauser QD mount bases fitted.

Photo by Philip Massaro

The rifle looks very very nice, BUT putting this kinda scopemount on a rifle said to be the most important rifle launch in a generation? I do not understand. It might be functional but it is, sorry for expressing my personal meaning, just ugly.
If I were to spend that kind of money ona new «most classic rifle» built on the holy grail (read Mauser 98 action), I’d rather put on a nicer more classic looking mount.

--------------------
Alf Rino Hals

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Rino]
      #296349 - 06/03/17 12:53 AM

I would imagine one could choose other mount systems. I agree there might be prettier choices available if existing QD mount bases fit.

On a medium calibre rifle most users will use a scope and rarely remove it IMO.

I would probably choose a smaller scope than the image as well.

Its a customers choice.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (06/03/17 04:53 AM)

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #296356 - 06/03/17 03:33 AM

My own contribution…I’m at Nuremberg IWA and was pleased to get my hands on the new Rigby Stalker, the most important rifle launch in a generation (!)
That new Rigby must be regarded as a tribute to the light N°1 HV made before WW1 and I think they have captured the style and adapted it to modern mass production using newly made Mauser parts.
Indeed will not trade mine old one for it but must recognize it could be a good choice for those who need such a “classic” repeater.

Regards to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #296357 - 06/03/17 05:36 AM

THAT looks like a stalking rifle - to me - lighter weight & longer barrel, slimmer forend- I like that one.
The new Rigby would be about perfect in 9.3x62 - for me.

--------------------
Daryl

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
      #296361 - 06/03/17 06:09 AM

Considering the age of the action it is built on and the style of the rifle, it's a pity to see such inappropriate mounts and telescopic sight. From the look of the leather case and the bases, there was a previous fitting which was presumably discarded for this Zeiss Diavari. At least they didn't parkerize it and flute the barrel.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Old_Glass]
      #296367 - 06/03/17 07:19 AM

Dear Old_Glass,

I respect all the opinions, even those with whom I don't agree.
What type of mount other than a typically English and completely handmade traditional H & H side mount ?
For your information the scope is an Hensoldt "Diavari-D" 1.5-6x36 R4 from the late fifties and it is as new and perfectly clear.
This is preferable to the terrible modern-day mounts and optics which disfigure many rifles of the same period.
Finally, it is a rifle of use that goes hunting and is used to accomplish the task for which it was designed.
I have the chance to own a few other extremely fine Rigby of the best period in untouched condition and nevertheless this one is one of my favorites.
Everyone's taste and opinion….

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #296369 - 06/03/17 08:40 AM

Quote:

Dear Old_Glass,

I respect all the opinions, even those with whom I don't agree.
What type of mount other than a typically English and completely handmade traditional H & H side mount ?
For your information the scope is an Hensoldt "Diavari-D" 1.5-6x36 R4 from the late fifties and it is as new and perfectly clear.
This is preferable to the terrible modern-day mounts and optics which disfigure many rifles of the same period.
Finally, it is a rifle of use that goes hunting and is used to accomplish the task for which it was designed.
I have the chance to own a few other extremely fine Rigby of the best period in untouched condition and nevertheless this one is one of my favorites.
Everyone's taste and opinion….

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

+1

Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Homer]
      #296370 - 06/03/17 09:25 AM

I like it, but then, I already alluded to that.

The new Rigby, however, would make a super 9.3x62, in my ALMOST HUMBLE opinion, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#296374 - 06/03/17 11:29 AM

https://www.facebook.com/336468443171072/videos/832055253612386/

Philip Massaro handling the Highland Stalker talking with Marc Newton.

Quote:

Sitting down with Marc Newton at the John Rigby & Co. booth in Nuremberg, discussing the new Highland Stalker!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #296386 - 06/03/17 01:57 PM

I had the pleasure late last year of spending a few hours in the Rigby Shop, along with a handful of other Aussies.
I got to handle the Corbet Rifle, amongst a few others.
What struck me was the small close nit team of people who were enthusiastic and happy about their work. It is of a high standard.

My personal preference was for them to duplicate in EVERY way the now very famous , sought after vintage Rigbys.
But im a romantic, and dont take much pleasure from modern " Engineers" Rifles.
So it is easy for me to say.....just duplicate the old ones"

However Rigby is a Business and the accountants have a say in how it is run, the marketing team have a say in what the market will stand in terms of price.
I do not like the mounts. However they help keep the price at a level that is sensible and competitive, and as a result comprimises need to be made....at least in the eyes of us purists.
If we wnat a bespoke duplicate then Im sure Marc can organise it.....just dont expect it for the same price.

Dorleac is correct in respect to the comments concerning mounting systems. That Rigby( vintage) is a lovely rifle with correct vintage mounts and scope. I have a set on a 1903 Mannlicher that has been through the Holland shop and there are non finer......but they are expensive to make and fit correctly.
Old Glass, sorry I think you are out voted.

Marc, when are you going chamber/ and rebirth the great 350??. They will sell like hot cakes, Im sure.

Over all the " New Rigby" is a good rifle with good provenance, and good value for money. Queenslanders they are arriving here soon!!

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

GABE93
.275 member

Reged: 01/03/17
Loc: FNQ, AUSTRALIA
      #296392 - 06/03/17 06:39 PM

Hi Dorleac,

I admire your new rifles a lot and your old one here is another fine example of an original Rigby. Did you re-stock this rifle? Some of the shaping details in the stock look like the details in your new stocks.

I am curious about the bar connecting the scope rings. I can't think of a purpose for the bar. I have done various custom scope mount work but i have not worked on H&H or claw mounts yet so i can't think of a reason to have the bar.

Regards,
GABE93

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#296398 - 06/03/17 09:54 PM

Quote:

Hi Waidmannsheil,

This model is their "off the shelf" model isn't it, not bespoke?

Yes that is correct, the "London Best" start at 22000 pounds.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#296404 - 07/03/17 01:53 AM

Quote:

https://www.facebook.com/336468443171072/videos/832055253612386/

Philip Massaro handling the Highland Stalker talking with Marc Newton.

Quote:

Sitting down with Marc Newton at the John Rigby & Co. booth in Nuremberg, discussing the new Highland Stalker!

You've got to hand it to the new Rigby. Under the leadership of Marc Newton, they really show a lot of style. In the past their stands have reflected an "African camp" theme, rourkhee folding chairs, a period styled African camp tent, and other accoutrements (splg?). Now with the new High Stalker they have gone the extra mile, and their stand reflects a Scottish drawing room, leather chairs, wood panelled walls, tartan carpets and even Rigby motif wall paper.

Well done to Rigby for going the extra mile, up the glen. One reason they have been so successful in a very short time.

Personally I could quite easily carry and use in the field one of their new Highland Stalker rifles. A .275 in a Rigby? What better. Yes an original pre WW1 vintage riflewould be nice, but would probably carry a vintage "twice the price" tag too.

The new rifle IS setup for scope use now as well. The vintage rifles with the drooping butt were setup for open sight use. They do look nice, but I would also use a .275 pretty much 100% with a scope. Except maybe for open sighted target competitions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (07/03/17 11:34 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#296433 - 07/03/17 11:48 AM

Marc Newton has evidently read our thread. As I received some answers and comments in an email to some questions or comments made here on NE.

- The rifle with the rounded butt on NE is the ladies version

Also not bad, making an off the shelf ladies model of the rifle right from the beginning. A .275 / 7x57 makes a nice lesser recoiling cartridge for a lady which also can kill anything on Earth, but preferably less then the tougher DG species. It is though the rifle and cartridge of choice by WDM Bell.

- The actions come drilled and tapped for mounts. You can fit any mount you like, as long as it's for the Mauser 98

- The majority of shooting estates in Scotland had a .275 a century ago, it was the stalking rifle of choice for many.

I also asked Marc in a comment on the Rigby pages for a photo of him holding the rifle. Someone commented on NE that the rifle might look slimmer etc in the hands as compared to photos.

And here is a photo especially taken for NE.

To me, the rifle looks very much a stalking rifle.

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
      #296442 - 07/03/17 12:37 PM

Yep, that definitely looks slimmer in the hands.

I have the feeling I'm going to die a poor man......

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #296468 - 07/03/17 07:46 PM

When held in the hands it looks extremely slick, very much the classic stalking rifle. With a set of decent scope bases and rings, most likely custom ones it would have to make one of the nicest rifles around. IMO.
I have spoken to the Australian agent who tells me that they have quite a lot on order already and arriving reasonably soon. It will be interesting to see how much they try and mark it up here compared to what the overseas prices are. I am sure that freight will be blamed even though freight from Europe to Australia is about $1800 AUD for a 40 foot container at the moment. Hopefully it will be reasonable.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 121868

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com