Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
MeLLeR
.224 member

Reged: 04/11/15
Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: GABE93]
      #296471 - 07/03/17 09:21 PM

Quote:

This model is their "off the shelf" model isn't it, not bespoke? If you keep studying the images you will see a few areas were they have reduced the build time to save some cost. Anyway it looks pretty good, I couldn't build anything like it for the price they are charging.

GABE93

In those pics, the checkering has NOTHING on yours Gabe. Hopefully I can get my hands on one and we can check it out in person soon enough.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GABE93
.275 member

Reged: 01/03/17
Loc: FNQ, AUSTRALIA
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: MeLLeR]
      #296475 - 08/03/17 12:16 AM

Hi MeLLeR,
Hope you are well, call in to catch up when you get a chance.If i'm out give me a call. If you can get a hold of a new Rigby one day of course i would like to see it. I would also love to see the London Best Vintage model in 416 that QGE has, priced at $64950.

Thanks for compliment about my checkering. Keep in mind they have probably built that whole rifle in less time than one of my best checkering jobs. We can't criticize them for that. Companies like Rigby are masters of the trade. I'm just a talented amateur in comparison. They have built a lot of rifles. I have built very few. I can take a lot more time over the work.

Regards,
GABE93

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #296485 - 08/03/17 03:18 AM

Quote:

I am curious about the bar connecting the scope rings. I can't think of a purpose for the bar. I have done various custom scope mount work but i have not worked on H&H or claw mounts yet so i can't think of a reason to have the bar.
GABE93

Contrary to popular belief these now iconic side claw mounts were not invented by Holland & Holland. Instead, Austrian gunmakers used near identical mounts before WW1 to mount Kahles "Mignon" scopes. Many Steyr Mannlicher M95 straight pull sniper rifles were mounted with such side contra/inverted claw mounts with the rear hook going into a set-over base and the front locked by a lever. These mounts depend on both feet/rings retaining exactly the same distance, with a bit of pressure fore and aft. The Austrians licked the problem by soldering half-rings to their steel scope tubes, making them immovable, the scope tube taking care of the proper ring spacing. When H&H adopted this mounting system they wanted to clamp the scope in full rings instead of soldering. As such rings may slip a tiny bit, or the scope may be exchanged, H&H added such spacing rods to keep the rings at the proper distance all the time.
BTW, I would prefer a sleek contra claw mount like those Rigby once used to the somewhat bulky H&H side mounted type. On the Rigby type, the rear ring hooked into a square hole in the receiver bridge, while the front ring went into a base on the barrel, in front of the receiver ring, locked there by a lever . Just as solid and reliable like the H&H mount, but much less obstrusive. This Rigby –Mauser mount was the original reason for the square bridge and the stepped receiver ring, to provide clearance for the scope locking lever, of the early Magnum actions. See this .350 Rigby:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=230287&an=0&page=2#Post230287

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #296486 - 08/03/17 04:01 AM

I am sure that freight will be blamed even though freight from Europe to Australia is about $1800 AUD for a 40 foot container at the moment

$1800? Is that a typo?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #296499 - 08/03/17 05:15 AM

Gryph, no typo. There is a shipping war going on at the moment as there is a worldwide excess of container ships and not enough content that needs to be shipped, hence you can now move freight at rock bottom prices. A friend just had a 40 foot container sent from Holland with an automatic apple picking machine in it plus some spares and that is what he paid for freight. It then cost him just under a thousand AUD to have the container trucked from Melbourne to Coldstream, about 100 km.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

kuduae
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #296501 - 08/03/17 05:41 AM

Quote:

As for Scotland being the home of stalking, I bet the Austrians and the Germans would beg to differ as they have been stalking in the mountains with firearms and before that crossbows for hundreds of years. Even St.Hubert was a stalker and that was in the fifteen hundreds I believe.

Waidmannsheil.

You are right on Austrian and German stalking Tradition. But St. Hubertus lived a few years earlier, c. 656 - 727 AD.

kuduae
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: rigbymauser]
      #296502 - 08/03/17 05:52 AM

Quote:

I am a little intrigue that `Scotland` is the theme. I know...Highlands is Scotland but John Rigby was from Irland and they have mountain and hillcountry in Irland
https://www.google.dk/search?q=mountains...2074xZ4ZcwnPmM:

Rigby also mailed me an advertisement of a Whisky with again `Scotland as a theme. If Rigby should have done anything they should have had an Irish Whisky with their name on it.

Is my observation wrong..?..

Though John Rigby & Son founded their business in Dublin, Ireland 1735, they opened a London shop at 72 St James Street in 1866. In 1897 they sold their Dublin branch to Truelock, Harris & Richardson. So they were a pure English gunmaker, catering to Scottish highland stalkers and colonial big game hunters, at the time they offered their .275 Mauser Rifles.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #296510 - 08/03/17 06:55 AM

My friend Kuduae gives interesting information…even if they are hints of Germanic tradition.
In fact many systems were designed at the beginning of the last century when it was necessary to install a fragile and little waterproof scope on a quick detachable mount.
In fact, the first H&H Mauser actioned rifles built before 1910 were often equipped with claw mounts and it was not until later that their famous side mount appeared.
Several variations exist and all do not work in the same way.
The definitive mechanism emerged in the thirties and was not equipped with a tension bar.
The tension bar was used from the late seventies and its function is to release the light metal scope tube from of any tension.
I have built several systems of this type which when well executed are very reliable and enjoyable to use.
Of course on the pre war RIGBY we often meet Mauser type quick detachable mounts as manufactured in Oberndorf since it was the Mauser factory that was building the mechanisms for the London Company.
Here are some illustrations of various systems.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Mauser factory mount

H&H first type mount

H&H inverted mount

H&H traditional mount

H&H rail mount

Custom made H&H style mount

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #296512 - 08/03/17 07:12 AM

Kuduae, I was only out by about 900 years.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #296513 - 08/03/17 07:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As for Scotland being the home of stalking, I bet the Austrians and the Germans would beg to differ as they have been stalking in the mountains with firearms and before that crossbows for hundreds of years. Even St.Hubert was a stalker and that was in the fifteen hundreds I believe.

Waidmannsheil.

You are right on Austrian and German stalking Tradition. But St. Hubertus lived a few years earlier, c. 656 - 727 AD.

but the stupidity continue
just look how swarovski smarm in this new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcAqXMRios

I dont want to offend the brave scots but what will the tyrolean hunter thinking when they look down deep in the Inn valley on the swarovski factory from the surrounding moutains playing in another class than scotish highland's?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #296515 - 08/03/17 07:34 AM

No Rigby rifle there, only a bit of plastic shit with a Coke can on the end, while wearing traditional clothes. A paradox of sorts.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#296516 - 08/03/17 07:38 AM

Joel, in the first photo photo with the Mauser Factory Mount, how is the rear foot held down in the bridge. I can not see any notches or cutouts, only a slightly tapered lump.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
      #296518 - 08/03/17 08:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am a little intrigue that `Scotland` is the theme. I know...Highlands is Scotland but John Rigby was from Irland and they have mountain and hillcountry in Irland

Rigby also mailed me an advertisement of a Whisky with again `Scotland as a theme. If Rigby should have done anything they should have had an Irish Whisky with their name on it.

Though John Rigby & Son founded their business in Dublin, Ireland 1735, they opened a London shop at 72 St James Street in 1866. In 1897 they sold their Dublin branch to Truelock, Harris & Richardson. So they were a pure English gunmaker, catering to Scottish highland stalkers and colonial big game hunters, at the time they offered their .275 Mauser Rifles.

Yes exactly. I really struggle to understand the quibbling over the Scottish themed launch of the new rifle.

Rigby, as you note, was a London-based company in 1900 when the Mauser 98 action came into production. The rifles the company produced from that period were initially intended for use within the UK and its colonial territories, particularly in India and parts of Africa.

Although all sorts of hunting opportunities existed right across the UK at the time, hunting in the Scottish Highlands was rightly seen as the ultimate challenge for the British sportsman - no doubt to some extent because that is also where British royalty went, for the most part, when hunting Red deer.

GABE93
.275 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #296525 - 08/03/17 10:07 AM

Many thanks to Kuduae and Dorleac for the info about the scope mounts, especially for the comparison images from JD. I will copy the images to a file for future reference.

GABE93

GABE93
.275 member

#296526 - 08/03/17 10:25 AM

Waidmannsheil,
Re the Mauser factory mount, i can help a bit here. The pushrod in the bridge most likely has a leg on the bolt handle side of the bridge. The leg engages a shallow recess in the foot on that side.

The recess is within the edges of the foot.

If you have Speeds first book about Oberndorf Sporting Rifles there is a good image on page 265 illustrating the design.

GABE93

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#296529 - 08/03/17 10:59 AM

Gabe, thanks for that. As soon as I read what you wrote it jogged my memory. I have Speeds book and it does show it as you described. The cutout of course is not visible from the view that Joel gave us.
Thanks again.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #296535 - 08/03/17 01:43 PM

Quote:

Waidmannsheil,
Re the Mauser factory mount, i can help a bit here. The pushrod in the bridge most likely has a leg on the bolt handle side of the bridge. The leg engages a shallow recess in the foot on that side.

The recess is within the edges of the foot.

If you have Speeds first book about Oberndorf Sporting Rifles there is a good image on page 265 illustrating the design.

GABE93

Yes, there is a detent in the square lump and an oblong button on the bolt side of the bridge which has a pin in one end which engages the detent. The spring is under the round part shown in Joel's picture.
Interestingly, the rear bridge Mauser scope mount is incredibly consistent from gun to gun. I had a Kurz which was missing it's mechanism but the one from a TypeG fit perfectly as did one from a TypeB. The claws at the front mount are not as standardised though.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #296537 - 08/03/17 01:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Waidmannsheil.

just look how swarovski smarm in this new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcAqXMRios

I dont want to offend the brave scots but what will the tyrolean hunter thinking when they look down deep in the Inn valley on the swarovski factory from the surrounding moutains playing in another class than scotish highland's?

Off topic post. But I know what I would be thinking if I was that gamekeeper:

"Stopping playing with your ffffing toy scope and just take the ffffing shot."

As the stag walks a few steps, the client has to play with the magnification ring. He has to push the illumination button several times. Then finally push the adjustment button for the range.

Anyone else notice how HIGH above the stag the cross hairs move? That is no 300 yard or less shot. No edge of the back shot. It is sa full half body holdover.

Perhaps they should stalk a little closer ...

But all that fiddling. I have taken 'continental' visitors out hunting, and the amount of fiddling with binoculars, mobile phones, scopes, by the time they raise their rifle for a shot, the deer is well and truly running away or gone. Stalking is not sitting sipping coffee in a sleeping bag suit in a hachsitz ...

Those plastic stocked plastic component rifles over electronically engineered fiddly scopes are becoming the norm. What Rigby is offering with some modification is what existed 100 years ago, because many people still prefer that.

PS I am always amazed at how stunted Scottish red deer appear to be. I wuld very much like to hunt there one day. But I would take most of those deer as a cull or for meat, not an expensive costing trophy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: lonewulf]
      #296539 - 08/03/17 02:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes exactly. I really struggle to understand the quibbling over the Scottish themed launch of the new rifle.

Rigby, as you note, was a London-based company in 1900 when the Mauser 98 action came into production. The rifles the company produced from that period were initially intended for use within the UK and its colonial territories, particularly in India and parts of Africa.

Although all sorts of hunting opportunities existed right across the UK at the time, hunting in the Scottish Highlands was rightly seen as the ultimate challenge for the British sportsman - no doubt to some extent because that is also where British royalty went, for the most part, when hunting Red deer.

No controversary at all. Just another latest irrelevant nitpick.

When an American company introduces a rifle with an African name, do we see all sorts of goofs claiming eg "Caprivi" has nothing to do with a M98 rifle or America?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
      #296545 - 08/03/17 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Waidmannsheil.

Honestly, that whole add just shows how unimportant the rifle and scope are to the success of a hunting trip. He could have made that shot with an open sighted .30/30. That concept of mating swarovski technology with tradition just doesnt work. The high tech gun is superfluous.

I like the McNab challenge ad better - where the fellow shoots a stag at the end with an early Rigby in .275 with a bolt striker peep sight.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #296549 - 08/03/17 03:18 PM

Quote:

I like the McNab challenge ad better - where the fellow shoots a stag at the end with an early Rigby in .275 with a bolt striker peep sight.

Do you have the link? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #296551 - 08/03/17 03:50 PM

It was actually the wife that takes the Red deer and the link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z888vycb5FE

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #296553 - 08/03/17 03:55 PM

Its a bit like the American bowhunting magazine cover I saw where the traditional archer with a longbow and wooden arrows is getting dropped out of a helicopter on a mountain peak. That rifle in the video did blend in with the tweeds nicely though.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#296554 - 08/03/17 03:56 PM

Huvius, thanks for that as well. Now answer me this: if you look at the link that Kuduae put up showing the 350 Rigby Magnum rifle with original Rigby mounts, how is the back foot held down as there is no button/detent or lever/cam. There is on the front foot but not the rear.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=230287&an=0&page=2#Post230287

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #296557 - 08/03/17 04:43 PM

The Germans make some great gear but no one makes Whisky like a Scottish distillery...gnuck gnuck gnuck

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 121874

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com