Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: American .323" bullets

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: American .323" bullets [Re: DarylS]
      #287741 - 12/09/16 10:36 PM

Daryl, I have some Speer 200 grain bullets, but no 225s. In fact I have never seen a 225 in 8MM and Speer doesn't show any either. Are you sure it was Speer brand?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: American .323" bullets [Re: szihn]
      #287755 - 13/09/16 02:10 AM

Speer stopped making them in the early 80's, I think. The odd store might still have some. The supply long ago dried up here. Only the old manuals have data, normally.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

#287815 - 13/09/16 11:27 PM

OK I see now.

Like their old 275 grain 338. Not popular enough to keep making them, but I killed an elk with one of them from a 338-06 and the performance was wonderful.
Today I think I'll have to settle for 170 to 200 grain bullets in my 8X57. No big deal I'd bet.
If I ever want more weight than 200 grains I can use the 220 in my 300 H&H, or I can simply use my 9.3X74R or my 375H&H.
I have seen the effects of 180, 190 200 and 220 grain 30 cals on elk. I know these bullets have more then enough weight for the job, if they just hold together at least 60%.

I have killed elk with 150 grain 30 cals and a number of 150 and 160 grain 270s. Never had a failure with any bullet that holds together. In fact, of all the elk I have killed with my 270s I have only ever recovered one bullet and that was last season. All other 270 kills gave me exit wounds

I have friends who have killed a number of elk with .264 and .257 bullets too and they did fine if the bullets hold together.

I know one boy who killed 8 elk with a 243. He killed 5 with factory loads and said they died ok, but the bullets didn't go as deep as he thought they should, compared to his dad's 30-06 He went to 100 grain Nosler Partitions and said that the last 3 were a lot better. No exits, but the bullets were against the hide on the far side.

Anyway....for my 8MM I expect I'll be happy with what I have now. The SSTs are super accurate but I am not 100% sure how well they will hold together. I guess I'll find out.
I do have a number of others to try, but it will take a few elk and a few years to know all of them for sure.

I have some 200 Gr Nosler partitions which I have 100% confidence in.

I have some Hornady 180 Grain GTX mono-metal bullets which I am 100% sure will be fine at all ranges they will still expand.

I am 60 years old now, and it's a sad fact that I will not ever be able to hunt enough game at enough ranges and enough terminal angles to know the details of every bullet at every range with every rifle I like, but I am still having fun with the hunts and I love gaining the knowledge of the technical aspects of the bullet performance too.

My problem is simply that I lack enough money to hunt 50 animals a year, and it's unlikely that I will last 85-100 more years.

Sad... aint it?

Edited by szihn (13/09/16 11:43 PM)

szihn
.400 member

#288872 - 09/10/16 03:35 PM

Well I killed a 5X5 bull today. 2 shots, both hits.

One was through the liver and going forward through the chest, and the other was through the upper rear leg. The liver/lungs shot didn't put him down and he ran directly away. Was right at the top of a ridge and I didn't want him to dive off, so I shot the leg. I don't like to do that, but it worked, and kept me from having to carry him up that hill.

Anyway, I used the 8X57 with the Hornady 170 gr SSTs and the penetration is not all I'd like. Neither bullet exited. Both went into the organs and stopped.

I was not able to fine either one, so I have no report on the retained weight.

Neither bullet left so much as a mark on the inside of the body cavity, other than the one entrance. So even though I am very happy with their accuracy, I would have to hold off in recommending them for elk. I am pretty sure they would be fine for deer, but they would not get to the other side of the body cavity. The velocity is about 2640 FPS at the muzzle, and the shots were made at about 170 yards and 200 yards.

I will not have a chance to try the Speer 200 grain bullets or the Nosler Partitions (I am 100% certain the Noslers will do what they do so wall.) or the Hornady 180 Grain GTX mono-metal bullets until Christmas time, or maybe next year.

I may get to hog hunt this Christmas time, but if not I will have to wait until next season to try something else.

Edited by szihn (10/10/16 12:52 AM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #288874 - 09/10/16 04:15 PM

Are you sure that velocity is correct or did you mean 2640 fps. I know that Woodleigh bullets are not American however they do make 220 and 250 grain in .323

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

szihn
.400 member

Re: American .323" bullets [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #288881 - 10/10/16 12:57 AM

Oops. You're right.
I hit the 1 key instead of the 2 key. I'll try to change it.

szihn
.400 member

#288949 - 12/10/16 11:43 AM

Well I have to update the post above about the Hornady 170 gr SST bullets.

I was wrong. I thought both bullet were lost in the gut-pile. Not so!
Today I butchered the elk and I found both of them. The one that hit the liver did penetrate the 2nd lung and exited upwards. I found it under the internal membrane of the chest cavity resting against the spine. It weights 129.2 grains.

The one that hit the pelvis was found in the right flank of the bull about 2 inches from the impact point of the other bullet. The bloodshot area I assumed was from the one that hit the liver, but some of it was from this bullet.
All that was left was an empty jacket that now weighs 45 grains.
Here are the 2 bullets and one that I cut in half so we can see the internal part of the jacket.

So this bullet did a bit better than I first thought. It is going to be excellent for any game up to about 300 pounds and will suffice for game up to maybe 900 pounds.

I will likely use a 180 Gr GMX next time because I know it will hold together, or maybe the 200 Gr Nosler Partition. The 170 gr will shoot flatter I know, but the 200 Gr Nosler is 100% reliable even when it hits bone. If I had only this 170 Gr bullet for my 8X57 for the rest of my life I am sure I would feel ok about it, ----- but if I can get the 180 Gr GMX or the 200 grain Nosler I think I may be a bit better off.

Edited by szihn (12/10/16 11:58 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#288958 - 12/10/16 02:48 PM

The 185gr. Remington (or is it 195gr.?) might also work OK. A buddy uses them in his 8x68S for lighter game. At lower speeds of the 8x57- should be ok for most game.

Of course, the 200gr. Speer or Partitions would work perfectly on all.

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

#288976 - 13/10/16 01:56 AM

Yeah Daryl, I already thought of the 185 Gr Remington. I used them in other rifles I made to zero, but I never shot any game with them. I have been told they are quite good, but Remington has seen fit to pull them from their line of components they sell. It seems Remington is dedicated to doing everything wrong these days, and ignoring everything they could do right and maybe save their company.

But as you say, the 200 grain offerings of Speer and Nosler will be fine. I have not killed anything with them either, but I hear nothing but good things about the Speer bullets which shoot 5/8" groups in my rifle, and the Partitions are always good.

I have used Noslers Partitions in several other rifles over the years and I think of them as the gold-standard of hunting bullets. I have never had a failure with a partition in any gun or any bore size.
I have used .257" in 120 grain in 2 rifles
.277 in 130, 150 and 160 grain, in 5 rifles
308 in 150, 180, 200, and 220 grain these used in 8 rifles
338 in 210 grain and 250 grain in 2 rifles
and 375 in 300 grain in one rifle.

All were everything I could wish for. The only down-side I can think of to the Nosler Partitions is the price. They are not cheap.

If I can get total penetration (even if I hit bone) with good accuracy, with any expanding bullet, I am happy. I understand guns don't kill, cartridges don"t kill, and even bullets are not doing the killing, but the bullet HOLE is what kills.

I care not what bullet I use if I can depend on it to go out the other side of the game I am hunting and leave a large enough hole to kill quickly.

The best way to do that is to have a bullet that holds together, but I will admit that some bullets come apart to an extent and give me the hole I want anyway. That's OK with me also.

Hunters that use a bullet because it will shoot 1/3 MOA and ignore the fact that the bullet needs to go clear through the game, and that game may not be broadside are asking for a lost animal.
1-1/2" MOA with good solid expansion and an exit wound are FAR BETTER than 1/4 MOA with a bullet that fragments.

I used to be a very very good marksman and I am still not bad. I have built some super accurate rifles over the years too. I used to cater to bench-rest shooters a lot, and they liked my work, so I know something about making accurate rifles.

Here is the truth;
When I was at my best I could throw down a back-pack and rest my rifle over it, laying prone behind it, and shoot about 1 MOA to 1-1/4 MOA and I could do that on demand. I could win bets on a regular basis, and I did so many times. The rifles I would do that with would shoot about 1/2 MOA or 3/8 MOA over the bench rest. So I had rifles that I could prove would shoot under half inch groups at 100 yards and under 2" at 300 yards easily, but I could not do it without the use of the bench. I could not, and I never met a man who could in my life. I am talking about doing it on demand 100% of the time with no excuses.

Never met one.

I used to go to Camp Perry and to various matches in various places all over the USA. I never met such a man. I met a handful that could out shoot me as a general rule, but I never met a single person that could shoot 3/4 MOA or better without a artificial support of the types you cannot and will not have in the hunting field.

So why are hunters trying to get 3/4 MOA and better, and refusing to use bullets that may shoot 1.25 MOA because a [insert favorite brand here] target bullet will "shoot better". It is folly to pursue that kind of thinking.

What most people never think of is the fact that if you can hold 1.5 MOA on demand, that no bullet ever will miss the point of aim at 100 yards by more than 1/2 that amount. That means the worst miss the rifle will give you is 3/4 off the cross hair at 100 years or 4" off at 600 yards. A 4 inch "miss" from center of the cross hair at a small deer at a full 600 years is still well withing the kill zone.

But a spot on hit with a bad game bullet at any range means a poor blood trail, no blood trail, poor penetration, and in many cases a lost animal. These hunters just give up as a rule and go kill another one if they loose their first animal, and I know one man that did that exact thing 4 times on elk in the 2013 season. Hit 4 and brought one back. It angers me.

Those other 3 elk probably died a slow death but were not found because this man wanted to "snipe" them at long range with a highly accurate 7MM Mag and shoots Berger bullets which penetrate worse than any bullet I have ever used or seen used in over 50 years. He loves to brag about the ones he brings home, but is quite about the ones he shot and didn't bring home.

That's hard of the elk heard and deprives every one else of an elk to kill, and also deprives the heard of breeding population.

Anyway I am ranting....but my point is that I am pleased with the performance of this latest Hornady. It is not perfect, but it is quite good. They are SUPER accurate and they hold up fairly well. The one that hit heavy bone came apart, but in fairness I have to admit it did go 1/2 way through a very large bull elk lengthwise. I know the 200 Gr Nosler would have done even better, but That is not to say the Hornady SST 170 grain is a bad bullet. Just not as good as the Nosler I am sure.

The best part about this offering by Hornady is the fact that at about 32 cents per bullet you can afford to do some practice. At 90 cents per bullet, you can afford to shoot only 1/3 as many Noslers. Practice is what makes and keeps skill levels up.

An extremely good marksman with good equipment will out shoot a good marksman with extremely good equipment 95 times out of 100.

Edited by szihn (13/10/16 02:06 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#288982 - 13/10/16 05:21 AM

Points well made, Steve.

--------------------
Daryl

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
      #288997 - 13/10/16 01:11 PM

If you look into using Woodleigh PPSN's or the RNSP make sure you pay strict attention to Woodleigh's recommended impact velocities. These bullets are not designed to be pushed hard and results will be compromised if done so. They are however quite good when used correctly and velocities are kept to a sensible level, and I even believe the stated impact velocities may be a tad high. And yes I do use them and like them.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: American .323" bullets [Re: BillG500]
      #289010 - 13/10/16 06:27 PM

Quote:

If you look into using Woodleigh PPSN's or the RNSP make sure you pay strict attention to Woodleigh's recommended impact velocities. These bullets are not designed to be pushed hard and results will be compromised if done so. They are however quite good when used correctly and velocities are kept to a sensible level, and I even believe the stated impact velocities may be a tad high. And yes I do use them and like them.

No, not correct at all. Take their 358 cal projectiles. They are good for at least 200fps faster hit then recommended. How do I know. First had experience with them Red deer at 6yards hit with 3 225 grn PP Woodies. Recommended max 2600, impact speed 2800, all penciled straight through, all heart shots. Yes, no bones where hit. Sambar at 25yards 250grn RN, recommended max impact 2500, impact velocity 2700fps. Around 90% weight retention. broke 3 ribs on entry and off side shoulder. I use them and swear by them but use the round nose. I will make sure I hit bone if using PP. Normally Bruce is fairly good with his information just a bit out with his 358's. Not complaining as I will use them in my 358RUM. His other calibres recommendations might be closer the mark but I doubt an addition 100fps will make much difference to them.

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Re: American .323" bullets [Re: Rule303]
      #289014 - 13/10/16 08:55 PM

Your opinion and your entitled to it, no arguments there. My first hand experience is the .338 WM and 225 PPSN, loaded them to over recommended velocity and had one blow up on the shoulder of a wet red stag at about 50 yards, minimal penetration and a nasty wound. Used them in a 270 similar results on goats (these were loaded faster too). Loaded them to recommended velocity after that and no problems. I have shot just maybe a few buffalo with my .404 with RNSN and they are dead set awesome up to what I load to (2400fps). I will stand by what I said "load to recommended velocities". There might be the odd projectile in Woodleigh's range which you can push a bit quicker, but from my experience and that of mates who shoot a bloody hell of a lot too, don't push them too fast!!

Edited by BillG500 (13/10/16 09:03 PM)

szihn
.400 member

Re: American .323" bullets [Re: BillG500]
      #289024 - 14/10/16 02:10 AM

I hear a lot of good things about Woodleigh, but they are a bit difficult to get here in the USA, and when you do the price is quite high. I have to assume the pricing is a reflection of high importation taxes at least in part.

I am looking at "Midway USA" which is one place I can order them from (if they are in stock) and I see that they cost more then Nosler partitions or Barnes X here in the USA. As of today they are asking 78 cents each for them.

So that may be a big problem for Woodleigh in trying to cultivate a market in the USA. I doubt they are going to out preform either the Nosler or the Barnes, and to try to take that market away from them with a product that costs more is an up-hill battle to say the least. Swift has it's following here, but it's limited because of the same fat. Swift bullets are as good as they come for deep penetrating expanding bullets, but as an example, their 150 gr 270 bullets cost $1.10 each. Nosler partitions cost 72 cents each and Barnes X bullets cost 71 cents each.

Now in the .277 diameter (just as an example) there are LOTS of bullets available here in the USA running form "poor" to "outstanding" in their performance on game.

Most hunters in the USA hunt deer and that means animals from 100 pounds to about 300. So even if you use a poor hunting bullet on deer you get quick kills from a 270 as a rule, just because the 270 is a bit more than you need, and deer just aren't that tough to kill.

"Ordinary plain Vanilla bullets" in the 270 cal are still mostly quite good for deer hunting. I have seen a few real bummers, but overall most .277 bullets of 130 140 and 150 grains are good.

The ones I really don't like I can count on one hand. I have seem very poor results, poor penetration and violent fragmentation, with every Burger I have shot, and every one I have seen shot (in every caliber.)
I also have seen many Sierra bullets come apart on game from small deer, a few bears and also about 12 elk. In my experience Sierra's fail in most instances but only about 1/2 as bad as Burgers.

Also the old non bonded Nosler Balistic tips have had a 100% failure rate in both 270 and 30 caliber in my experience. I have never seen a single one hold together on any animal at any range.

But the 130 grain Winchesters, Remingtons, most of the Speers, and about 50% of the Hornadys I have shot or seen shot (I guided for many years, so I kept track of these things out of my own interest)were all quite good.

All the bonded bullets I have ever seen used were excellent in every weight.
All the Barnes X bullets I have seen used at any range out to 500 yards have been excellent regardless of weight.
All the Nosler Partitions have been outstanding regardless of weight or range of the hit.

In the 140 grain weight I have seen jacket separation with the Hornady 140 grain boat tails in most instances, but those bullets will usually go at least 12" deep before the jacket comes off, so on deer they still killed quite well. I would advise against them for use on elk however.

In the 150 grain range in the 270 caliber the only 2 bullets I have disrespect for are the Burger and the Sierra Game King. I believe the original Nosler Ballistic Tip, non bonded version, are no longer made. I hope not anyway.

In the 160 grain there is only one. The Nosler partition which has been outstanding.

Anyway............. Woodleigh would be interesting to me, and to many American hunters I am sure, but if they wish to make inroads into the American market they are going to have to compete against bullets that are as close to perfect as they can be. They will have to match that level of accuracy and expansion, with 60% or more for weight retention , and they will have to give an incentive to make hunters try them and step away from that level of perfection they already have with the American made Bonded, X and partition bullets.

The only incentive that could be offered is price, because you just can't really get better than what we have here already in performance. That incentive will not happen at a higher price and in fact, it won't happen at the same price very often. What reason would a man have to try another bullet with he can buy a 71 cent premium bullet that is outstanding? Well, I'll tell you! The same preformance with a 65 cent bullet, that's how.

If you can't make a bullet work better (and I can't see how you could) the only thing left is to make one just as good and sell it for less. Probably quite a lot less at first.

If Woodleigh could sell its bullets for 70% of the price of Noslers or Barnes, they may have a good chance to develop an American following that would become loyal. Over a 10 year period the price could then match the Nosler and the Barnes, but trying to go head to head with those 2 companies and also with the new Hornady GMX bullets, and do it at a higher price is just not realistic.

Woodleigh may not have any choice however. As I said, some and maybe much of the price may be the US governments imposing taxes against them. The price may be as low as it can be. This I don't know.

I only know how the American market is, and what will sell, for what reasons.

Edited by szihn (14/10/16 02:22 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#289025 - 14/10/16 02:29 AM

It is very difficult to make a cup and core bullet perform over a large stretch of velocity impact ranges.
Different game, different impact locations, different ranges all makes for a difficult time for the bullet.

Some bullets appear to do well across a broad spectrum of conditions, some not so well.

Some people have amazing performance from Sierra cup and core bullets on our moose, others swear at them for being too soft - same thing for a number of other bullets, like the standard coreloct bullets from Hornady or hot cores from Speer. some bullets seem to work just fine, others blow up - but not every time and not for everyone.

Picking bullets can be a time consuming deal, or maybe one gets lucky right off the bat - but maybe only for this season on that animal.

Here at home, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX all seem within a dollar or so for 50 bullets, at just over $1.00 per bullet.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #289035 - 14/10/16 08:28 AM

BillG, good to know about those calibres.

szihn, what you say about the original Nosler Ballistic tip in 130grn, 270 is, from my unfortunate experience, spot on. The fore runner to these, the solid base-from memory- were outstanding. When the ballistic tips came out I bought several hundred. Shot a small pig with them. Dropped then got up and ran off. We found it dead the following day over a kilometer away from where it had been shot the night before. Massive surface wound. Used them on rabbits, cats and foxes only after that.

Re price of Woodleigh, I agree with what you say and would like them to be cheaper but I don't think that is going to happen.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: American .323" bullets [Re: Rule303]
      #289036 - 14/10/16 08:42 AM

The Nosler BT's have had the jackets thickened - but I think only from 200gr. .338 and larger.

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

#289052 - 14/10/16 03:02 PM

I like a thick jacket for any game of 300 pounds and more.
Look at the wonderful jacket on this Remington Cor-Lok 270 as compared to the 200 grain Speer 8MM.

DarylS
.700 member

#289075 - 15/10/16 03:43 AM

Speer's 270gr. 9.3 is even thinner than that 8mm bullet.
That RP bullet looks great!

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

#289109 - 16/10/16 01:50 AM

Oh yes, I have never seen a worse 9.3MM game bullet made anywhere by anyone than the Speer 270 grain. Too bad....it is super accurate, but it is nothing more than a giant varmint bullet.

I killed a very small White Tail buck with one a few years ago shooting down on him and the bullet hit the spine. It was about 40 years away. It blew the spine in half, but not one small piece of the bullet even made it through into the body cavity. Because of the broken spine it did drop the deer, but I actually had to kill it with a 22 pistol shot to the head.
Here is all that was left of it.

The penetration was only 4-1/4 inches or so. Speer markets this bullet as being made for large and dangerous game. I believe that is irresponsible of them and borders on criminal.

I sent them these pictures and the story and they rudely told me 'too bad but that they didn't care'.

I have used the 286 Gr Hornady it it is nearly as accurate, and it kills wonderfully. I have not recovered one of them, and the exit holes are about 1-1/2" in diameter in every thing I have killed.
I also have some Nosler partitions and a box of Barnes bullets for my 9.3X74R. I have no doubt at all they will be perfect.

Edited by szihn (16/10/16 03:34 AM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#289129 - 16/10/16 07:49 AM

Szihn, interesting what you have to say about Speer, I had a similar experience. Several years ago I bought a Rockchucker press as I didn't have the time to make my own. When I got it home I noticed that the ram moved around a lot at the top of the stroke. Pulled it apart and found that the ram was 0.007" smaller than the bore which equated to about 0.060' of wobble and consequently sideways angel due to the action of the ram. I made a new ram with the correct fit and then found that the threaded hole for the dies was about 0.040" out of alignment with the ram, which I than had to also correct. In the end I re-machined all the linkages, removed the as-cast bearing surfaces and machined fitted PVC washers as well as oil lubrication holes and grooves. It is bloody fantastic now and super smooth. It was a shit load of work though as it is a casting and the only datum is the bore for the ram. More difficult than making one from scratch.
I then checked the shell holders and found that the bullet seating faces were out of parallel to the mounting face where it sits on the ram face. some were as bad as 0.010" over half an inch. In other words a 2.5" case was 0.050" out of square when entering the die. Imagine what that does to the head of the cartridge and accuracy.
I purchased quite a lot of RCBS gear at the one time as I had been using a friends dads RCBS gear for years and it was all very good, however it was older and made in the USA, unlike the current crap which is made in China (There is that word again).
I had also at the same time purchased scales, a case trimmer, a powder thrower and a strip priming press, all of them needed rework including the scales. They all work perfectly now and are a joy to use.

When I contacted RCBS and politely informed them of what I had found and done to correct the problems I received a similar response to yours. I was really pissed after having spent a shit load of money to get such an arrogant response.

I since use the Redding competition shell holders which are perfect and dead parallel or I make my own for sizes I can't buy.

Sad really that companies go and get things made in China and when it turns out shit feign ignorance and tell you that no one else has had any problems.

I despise those words "Made in China"

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#289131 - 16/10/16 08:10 AM

I currently use a Grey Lyman Crusher press, along with a pair of Hornady Presses, compound and a progressive. I like these quite a lot, along with my Hornady dies, although I only used the progressive for my .44 SPL. loads.

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

#289133 - 16/10/16 08:42 AM

I believe that "made in China" is a code"
It has a secret meaning, but that secret is easily discovered. All one needs to do is to buy a Chinese tool.
It really means "Total piece of shit".
This it true in nearly every kind of manufacturing, no matter what it is. Tools, electronics, clothing, gear, automotive, food, building materials, furniture.......everything!

If it's Chinese you can be sure that in 99.7% of the time, it will be of exceedingly poor quality.

And as far a companies go, the ones that have been outstanding in their customer support to me have been Dillon,(so good it's hard to believe) and also Hornady, Lee, Forster, and Redding

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#289137 - 16/10/16 01:13 PM

Words can't describe how much I hate Chinese shit, and the funny part is, so do the Chinese. If you go to China the last thing anybody there wants to buy is Chinese made. It means that you are poor and can only afford their own crap. If you have money you buy anything but. Sad, really sad.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

#289272 - 21/10/16 07:16 AM

Well the 8X57 scores again.
I killed a medium sized White Tail buck yesterday with the Hornady 170 Gr SST, same kind I killed the elk with.
I hit the neck of the buck as he was facing me. It was a bit to the right of center and didn't hit the spine. I cut channel through the neck meat about 2" in diameter and exited the back of the neck leaving only a hole about 3/8" around. I was surprised at how small the exit hole was in the hide, but the damage to the neck was impressive. The deer dropped at the shot.
It was still kicking a bit when I got to it (117 yards) so I put a revolver shot through it's brain to end the pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17875

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com