Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BREVEX: the lost history..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
BREVEX: the lost history..
      #264228 - 26/04/15 07:33 PM

The Brevex firm in Suresnes was led by former Radom engineer Mr. Polonsky and remained active from 1948 to 1959.
They manufactured two types of actions on Mauser factory machinery obtained after the factory was dismantled by the Allies in 1946, the M300 for the .375 H&H Magnum rimless length cartridge and the M400 for.416 Rigby and .505 Gibbs, obviously adaptable to other munitions, including .460 Wby.
These true magnum length actions were used by many gun-makers and among them Rigby's for building large-bore rifles.
They were imported to the United States by Tradewinds of Tacoma,WA.
However, at the beginning of the sixties, Marcel Pigatti resumed the production and produced a few samples of these very sought after big bore actions. Some changes have been done like a lower bolt handle, simplified firing pin while the receiver was no more of the C type.
These actions are machined from drop-forged blanks and were well heat treated and Rockwell hardness tested.
Here is a sample bearing serial number 8 and SRP marking (Société de Rectification Pigatti).
It has been entrusted to us by a customer who wants we use it to build him a .505 GIBBS…nice work to come !

Regards to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Notice the Rockwell hardness test point on the right side of the rear bridge

Markings

Bolt

Reveiver

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: DORLEAC]
      #264229 - 26/04/15 07:39 PM

its unbelievable that such actions still in the white floating around after so many decades.

I am sure you will make the best out of this old piece of scrap metal

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (26/04/15 07:40 PM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: lancaster]
      #264251 - 27/04/15 08:13 AM

What a marvellous piece of history - bet you do a cracker jack job on this one DORLEAC!
I've never really taken much notice of the inside of a Mauser action (barrel thread side), makes you appreciate the thought that the Mausers' went thru to get to this point - the milling processes must be quiet complex & obviously done in a very prescribed order.
I never realised that there was a barrel abutment inside the Mauser action, or is this only for the Beverex?
When you look at the photos, there is not a lot of metal holding back the locking lugs of the bolt back inside the action; the calculations required must have been fantastic for engineers to work out how much is good enough with a safety margin of "X"!
And we just pick them up & shoot them without thought about what really goes on, on the inside that is.
I would love to be able to see a whole action being built - would be a fantastic experience to do so!
Will love the pictures as you build it up DORLEAC
Cheers
93x64mm

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: 93x64mm]
      #264256 - 27/04/15 09:56 AM

Is there two different bolts in the photos? The bolt shown in the receiver looks to have a cut away in the bolt guide for the tail of the short extractor to turn into (looks like a small lug ahead of the third safety lug) whereas the bolt shown out of the action in the last few photos does not appear to have this feature?

redoak
.224 member

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: Michigan
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: eagle27]
      #264262 - 27/04/15 12:53 PM

Looks like the same bolt to me, it is just rotated so that the guide rib is partially hidden.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: redoak]
      #264267 - 27/04/15 02:34 PM

Quote:

Looks like the same bolt to me, it is just rotated so that the guide rib is partially hidden.

Ah yes you are correct can just see the guide rib cut out in the 2nd to last photo, same bolt. Obviously just using a standard length extractor in the stretched action.

Edited by eagle27 (27/04/15 02:35 PM)

pondoro62
.224 member

Reged: 15/12/12
Loc: Norway
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: eagle27]
      #264551 - 04/05/15 07:58 PM

That is a very nice Mauser action monsieur Dorleac...we look forward to see the end result..:)

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: DORLEAC]
      #264581 - 05/05/15 01:47 PM

Thanks for a very informative post . Can't wait to see the finished product.
The original Brevex 400 had a swept back bolt handle almost identical to the FN Deluxe/Supreme.
What is the function of the small lug on the bolt behind the extractor in the first pic?
Is the bolt diameter larger than the standard 98 action?
Is the bolt handle integral with the bolt body?
I don't think the owner of this action could have put it in better hands.
Cheers

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: BREVEX: the lost history.. [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #264627 - 06/05/15 08:32 PM

Hi Wanabebwana,

You are right, the 400 and 300 actions produced by Polonsky had an FN type swept back bolt handle.
Here is a photo of a 400 model we got still wrapped in factory oiled paper.

The same action after blue printing, fitted with an Oberndorf bolt handle and a magnum extractor blade (after TIG welding of the notch in the guide)

What appears like a small lug behind the extractor is the guide rib portion that is not covered by the standard length extractor blade originally fitted.
Notice that if the bolt is of the same diameter than the Mauser, all other parts of the receiver are beefed up.
The bolt handle comes from a machined drop forging blank and is integral with the body.
Thank you for your interest.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5493

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com