Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby prices !!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Rigby prices !!!
      #117471 - 23/10/08 06:47 AM

Happen to have been scanning the site of Puglisi Gun Emporium and noticed several Rigby rifles for sale just in from a collection. Am I the only one to be shocked at the asking prices of the bolt guns? They are in DR territory. Granted they are fine pieces, but 50K knocks me over. Glad I got my Rigby's a few years ago.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: dons]
      #117483 - 23/10/08 11:31 AM

don , i bought a 275.cased ,perfect cond in 1985 which i still have for around 3750. which was high at the time , my 303.slant box which is also in perfect cond. was bought for around 2200. in 1989 which again was from a dealer and on the high side. my 400/350 which to me looks better than what puglisi has because of it being totally original was bought for a fraction of what he is asking just a year ago from a dealer he might be asking those prices but i dont think he,ll get them . mike schwandt sold the best 416 rigby left on the planet for 25k just last year .pics are still on his sight .BTW all puglisis guns look like they have been refinished i wonder what he would ask if they were original and i bet he wouldnt pay more than 5k for a 275. no matter what it looks like
when are we getting together for a coffe your only up the street ? call me...paul

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: pjaln]
      #117496 - 23/10/08 04:31 PM

Saw those guns too - quite a head scratcher.
Agree on the refinish assertion too. Unfortunately, Puglisi makes it sound as if these are all excellent original condition which is doubtful (or outright deceptive).
I am as much a fan of a good bolt gun as anybody, but these prices are all 1/3 to double over recent market prices, and that is not considering the apparent economical stresses many folks are experiencing right now.
I expect to see many high line guns coming to market in the near future. I think the pool of players in this market will shrink and only the very best guns will command the big prices. I'm sure we all know of fantastic guns which have not been offered in decades - eventually, they will come to market.
Now, if I could just have that couple hundred thousand ready to jump on when the opportunity arises...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: Huvius]
      #117544 - 24/10/08 03:26 AM

I am not sure that the market is going to drop dramatically on the real top end items. Many of those that can afford them are untouched by the market and indeed many have made a lot of money selling short.
The prices paid in London just a couple of weeks ago seem to bear me out on this.

However this is very much a buyer beware market, especially on BA rifles. I see so much shit going at inflated prices I can only conclude that there is a large tart it up, fake it up, mark it up opperation going on overseas. Other members that have been at the sales with me will agree that redeculious prices are acchieved for items that have no use BUT the above. I have seen things sell, completly and unredeamably pitted and ruined internally and externally, that have no value apart from their serial number

I have seen personally, items advertised that I have passed on, on behalf of clients that asked me to examine them, cheeply refinished and advertised as good/origional on websites following auctions.

"Wouldent pay more than $5000 for a .275" I have seen a number sell at £600-800 and they dident deserve that.

This does not just apply to Rigby's although I have a particular interest in them, but to many many items.

Regards

pjaln
.375 member

Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: Bramble]
      #117549 - 24/10/08 04:43 AM

george caswell of champlin arms has a fraser/mauser right now for around 8500.00 that i would take over any of the rigbys on puglisis sight (now that is not to say i dont like rigbys )it is a rare gun and would look like a steal compareing to the prices of the rigbys

bramble , i think a lot of the rigby pricing has to do with the company being out of england now ,btw have you visited them when they were still in england,i think the train stop was blackfriars, am i correct? and they were down what i consider an alleyway, not such an impressive building but a lot of nice stuff inside....paul

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #237550 - 08/11/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

bramble , i think a lot of the rigby pricing has to do with the company being out of england now ,btw have you visited them when they were still in england,i think the train stop was blackfriars, am i correct? and they were down what i consider an alleyway, not such an impressive building but a lot of nice stuff inside....paul

pjaln,

Sorry to say but our friend Bramble is no longer with us. Mark (Bramble) was the owner of the Rigby gunmaker which re-established in London. I visited him about four years ago. It is sad to say he died of cancer a couple of years or so later. He had a number of personal friends here among the membership of NE.

The London Rigby firm was dissolved by his heirs, and of course since then the Californian Rigby also has ceased, to be taken over by some Texan enthusiasts who have recently sold Rigby to the same group of companies that makes Mauser, Blaser etc. The reports are that Rigby's are again being made in the UK. Will be interesting to see how it progresses.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

pjaln
.375 member

Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: NitroX]
      #238135 - 21/11/13 04:15 PM

thanks for the news john ,,i havent been on the forum as of late,,time goes by cant beleive this thread is from 08....... paul

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
      #238270 - 24/11/13 12:54 PM

Rigby has been bought by Blaser - and they will be like in the old days. Machine parts and works on the mauser plant in germany ( also owned by blaser)...then sent to London for re-work and stocks and sold as rigbys...axel

pjaln
.375 member

Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #239064 - 10/12/13 07:50 AM

too bad they wont be priced like the old days!!!!....paul

brosteve
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: TX USA
      #241152 - 25/01/14 03:54 PM

I too am shocked by bolt gun prices, and do not personally think that pricing them like a double rifle can possibly be justified unless the gun has a famous provenance. Just shocking! Steve

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: brosteve]
      #241171 - 26/01/14 01:50 AM

There was hope that the newest incarnation of Rigby was going to be able to deliver on their concept of making 416s to the pre-war pattern and sell them for $15K US.
From what I have heard from a friend who got a chance to handle them, they have missed the mark on ergonomics and finish. Apparently they did get a few orders for them though so maybe some Americans are still willing to pay extra for the name.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: Huvius]
      #243600 - 11/03/14 03:28 AM

I am chasing provenance on Rigby bolt action rifle #6833. I asked Patricia Pugh at Rigby in London and she says that serial #6812(1998) to #6909 are missing from the register. Does anyone know what might have happened to these records?

This firearm (a 375HH in excellent condition) is going on the market next week by the way - if anyone is interested in such a thing? It will be auctioned.

A nice Jeffery 470 doube as well!!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by Matt_Graham (11/03/14 03:31 AM)

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #243601 - 11/03/14 03:51 AM

Also guys - could you tell me how you would describe the Oberndorf action on the Rigby? Is it a single square bridge?

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by Matt_Graham (11/03/14 03:52 AM)

Rigby350
.300 member

Reged: 11/11/08
Loc: NSW,Australia
      #243609 - 11/03/14 10:52 AM

Hi Matt,

It looks to me to be a standard Mauser action with a H&H type side mount, with the rear base set on the action itself.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: Rigby350]
      #243610 - 11/03/14 10:57 AM

OK - thats what I thought initially. A square bridge would be a bit higher, no?

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Rigby350
.300 member

Reged: 11/11/08
Loc: NSW,Australia
      #243613 - 11/03/14 04:44 PM

Yes, a square bridge would be visibly higher

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Rigby prices !!! [Re: Rigby350]
      #243619 - 11/03/14 10:32 PM

Is anyone in the US currently furnishing and installing the H&H type side mount?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9523

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com