Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
UtahShotgunner
.275 member

Reged: 07/01/08
Loc: PA
Identifying an Interarms Mark X action
      #229389 - 29/04/13 02:34 AM

I am trying to determine if the barreled action I have was manfactured this way, or if Bubba has gotten to it.

I'll get a few more pictures later, but the one below is all I have at the moment.

I bought this 7mmRemMag barreled action quite a while ago, and am just not getting around to stocking it. It was in a group of 8-9 that all came with proof certificates still attached and apparently never stocked. All were proofed from 1972 to 1975. At the moment I cannot find the certificate for this one.

In the picture, it is the action on the left with the notched ring and shorter feed ramp. For comparison, the action on the left is another magnum Mark X in .300WinMag.

The magazine box has been extended with a section that has been spot welded to the front and the rest of the box is milled much thinner than the box on the .300 and other Mark X bottom metal I have seen.

Any help appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action [Re: UtahShotgunner]
      #229390 - 29/04/13 03:04 AM

Maybe made at a different time and they had
changed the features ?

Edited by 500Nitro (29/04/13 03:04 AM)

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action [Re: 500Nitro]
      #229391 - 29/04/13 03:25 AM

The action on the left appears to have been one of those they built for the 375H&H length cartridge and I would guess someone decided to use it for the 7mm.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

UtahShotgunner
.275 member

Re: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action [Re: 458Win]
      #229393 - 29/04/13 03:49 AM

Quote:

The action on the left appears to have been one of those they built for the 375H&H length cartridge and I would guess someone decided to use it for the 7mm.

Does anyone have a good picture to of the parts of a H&H length action so I could compare?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #229397 - 29/04/13 05:26 AM

458Win

Agree, it does look like the Holland with the indent cut out in the front receiver.

Can't remember about the magazine.

UtahShotgunner
.275 member

Re: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action [Re: 500Nitro]
      #229403 - 29/04/13 08:00 AM

Pictures taken and posted below.

I owned all 8-9 of these actions at one time. Somehow I missed that this one is NOT marked as a Mark X.

Pics will show that the action and magazine have been enlarged in comparison to the .300WM Mark X I have on hand. I also measured the rail spacing, and it is wider at points, which would be needed for a .375.

Why a 7mmRemMag barrel was hung on this action is a mystery. Sitting it aside for now, as do not want to put the time into stocking it, to then find it won't feed 7mmRemMag properly.

In all pictures, the notched/enlarged action is the one on the top.

NOT a Mark X

Edited by UtahShotgunner (29/04/13 08:04 AM)

UtahShotgunner
.275 member

#229404 - 29/04/13 08:18 AM

My own pictures when shown on a large monitor made me go back and look at the floor plates.

Ignoring the different style of release, they would not interchange. The hinge pin location is different, as is the slot milled for the hinge in the bottom metal.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #229406 - 29/04/13 09:49 AM

The action of the 7mm looks just like the .375 actions they made. The most important changes are the reduction of the feed ramp to accommodate the longer H&H cartridges and the cutout in the forward ring to assist loading. The magazine has been altered to add more room to the front. There is also a tiny bit more room added to the rear of the magazine by using thinner metal in that area than on the standard action.

In addition to the Whitworth marked rifles, long actions were also used for making Mark-X versions in .375 with US style sporter stocks. If Interarms was making .375 Whitworths at the same time they were making .375 Mark-X rifles, it would make good sense to put Mark-X or Whitworth on the barrel instead of the action. That way they could use an action for either. I have seen rifles so marked.

My guess is that the rifle and action were put together by someone other than the factory. Are there proof marks on the right side of the front ring and the barrel just beyond that? If not then you know it left the factory without being barreled. If proof marks are present it still doesn't rule out the possibility that someone replaced a .375 barrel with a 7mm barrel.

If it loads and feed 7mm Rem Mag properly, and it should, then why worry? You should be able to put the bottom metal into the action without a stock and find out. If you don't like it you could rebarrel or make use of the extra space for a long 7mm cartridge.

If it was mine, I would rebarrel it to .400H&H. I had that done to an early Whitworth and it worked out quite well.

--------------------
~

UtahShotgunner
.275 member

Re: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action [Re: Grenadier]
      #229409 - 29/04/13 10:27 AM

Yes, the action and barrel carry proof marks. Proof paperwork was with the barreled action when I bought it. I have misplaced the paperwork.

The picture below is NOT of this barreled action but another I bought on the same day. Posting only as an example of the paperwork that was included with each of the 8-9 I bought that day.

So, I have no doubt that it left the factory wearing this barrel.

Yes, I know I can cycle rounds through the action without a stock. Cycling that way vs. cycling quickly from the shoulder is not always a good comparison since the magazine box almost always ends up modified at least slightly.

The .400 idea is interesting, but I am stocking these to sell, and unless I had the correct customer I could own a .400 rifle for a long time.

I wonder if 7mmSTW would work.

Off to my copy of Cartridges of the world.
(Not serious)

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #229414 - 29/04/13 12:47 PM

There have been a number of versions of these actions and rifles sold and not just in the USA. More than a few were sold here in Australia with 'CMC Mountaineer' stamped on them. Actions were also available.

I'm only guessing but its probably a kosher rifle from one of the numerous past distributors.

Nitro
.224 member

Reged: 12/10/12
Loc: Aus
Re: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action [Re: tophet1]
      #229424 - 29/04/13 10:48 PM

CMC mountaineer actions are different from what I have seen, mountaineer actions are push feed and mark x (zastava) CRF

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Identifying an Interarms Mark X action [Re: Nitro]
      #229447 - 30/04/13 05:54 AM

Brain fade yesterday. My bad. WTF am I talking about ....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6100

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com