Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Queen's Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: John_Rigby_and_Co]
      #378632 - 13/08/23 06:57 PM

Quote:

There are no known photos of the original rifle. We talked to a gentleman that photographed the rifles that belong to royal family. He did not photograph her Rigby. Subsequently, I have discovered in our day books that in addition to H.M The Queen, The Queen Mother and Prince Charles also have Rigby .275s that have come back for service over the years. The Queen Mother and Prince Charles' rifles were not ordered new. H.M. The Queen told Paul Roberts that her rifle is "at Balmoral, still being used by the boys." We assume she meant Princes Harry and William.

Wow. Wonderful.

The Queen Mother's, Prince Charles' rifles "were not ordered new". Second hand? Or more likely off new off the rack?

Wonderful the Queen's rifle is still being used for hunting at Balmoral.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #378633 - 13/08/23 07:11 PM

Btw how to loose gun makers as posters, post lots of quite rude posts. I see the last post on this thread was the second to last post made on our forums.

I wondered about comments during a telephone conversation back then. Politeness doesn't hurt and helps forums. A gun maker doesn't need to post here, just share on their own sites and shows. A gun maker making oodles of sales ten years ago doesnt need to post here. I was encouraging them to do so.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Wedgetail
.275 member

Reged: 22/07/20
Loc: Australia- NSW
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #379238 - 10/09/23 06:53 AM

Yeah that was a cool few posts - having John Rigby himself post isn’t what most forums can boast. Shame there were negative comments - the internet always seems to pull out a few arm chair critics that feel the need to show their “expertise” by belittling others’ efforts, regardless of how good they are.

Bringing up an earlier point though:
Quote:

I agree with Carpetsahib comments about the rear tang treatment on the Mauser action.
I have observed that the commercial Oberndorf rifles made prior WW1 have their rear tang slimmed down and polished in the white.
Such an alteration allows a better transition to the grip and in no instance weakens the action or the stock.
We apply that modification to the rifles we build, taking care to bevel the sear-contacting surface of the cocking piece and we have never encountered jamming or mangled stocks.

Dorleac, do you mean this edge? I assume just a small bevel to prevent any hang up on the tang walls?

--------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” - Rudyard Kipling

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 41901

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com