Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Mauser trigger job by classic british way ?
      #194983 - 27/11/11 05:37 AM

Does anybody here know how Jeffery, H&H and the orhers british high quality rifle makers used to convert original Mauser trigger to make them work better. Pictures would be nice...

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: Igorrock]
      #194987 - 27/11/11 08:16 AM

In general Mauser in Oberndorf made everything however Rigby in London did add a little crosspin to eleminate the 2stage funktion of the Mauser standard single triggers. This Rigby thing were suppose to activate by direct engagement of the trigger= better accuracy.( Rigby theory).
I have original sportingrifles from Oberndorf aswell as Rigbymausers. I don`t seem to notice any significance in accuracy. The best triggers today I believe for the Mauser M98 is from Recknagel or ManFred Alberts. I have mauser custom made rifles made up with both kind of triggers and they both work very well and seem to be very crips compared to the originals. I also have a B-mauser with set-trigger which is imho. hard to beat by any other riflebrand by that time of period.

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #194992 - 27/11/11 08:40 AM

I have both Recknagel and set trigger in my Mausers but I have test some old Mausers and their trigger pull has been, how can I say, quite charming so I believe that there is some ways to make the original trigger better.

--------------------

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #195050 - 28/11/11 05:15 AM

This is how I made a single stage trigger out of a 98 military two stage trigger.I used liquid steel and set it so the trigger was lifted past the first stage. Polished the interfacing surfaces and by shortening the spring a 1/4 coil at a time made a trigger fully equal to Timneys I have. Did this thirty years ago and the trigger is as good today as it was then. Have also seen it done with soldered brass lifter. I used the liquid steel just to see if it worked with the intention of changing it for brass but it was so good I have never altered it.It noe resides on my custom 7x57 albeit with a finger piece that has been shifted rearward.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by CptCurl (28/11/11 12:27 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: VonGruff]
      #195057 - 28/11/11 06:06 AM

Thanks for your picture, Von Gruff. I noticed that there is small space between the trigger and itīs frame, just where you have add the liquid medal. I think I try to assemble there a small stiff coil spring to push trigger backwards.

--------------------

Edited by Igorrock (28/11/11 06:07 AM)

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
      #195265 - 29/11/11 03:14 PM

Years and years ago I saw Mauser trigger with a setscrew on the front end of the trigger about where the dab of liquid metal is on Von Gruff's trigger. And the rear where it contacted the bottom of the receiver was milled for a small roller.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: Altamaha]
      #195330 - 30/11/11 07:37 AM

An alternative to changing the factory trigger is simply to learn to use a double stage trigger. For those of us who learned to shoot with the service rifle (first an M1 and then an M14), shooting with a double stage trigger is as natural and easy as falling off a log. Even shooting rapid fire was never a problem. Admittedly, it is not always easy to switch back and forth between a double stage trigger and a single stage, but it can be done.

It should be remembered that the double stage trigger was developed as a safety feature, and that removing it creates a potential safety problem. The first stage of a double stage trigger allows the rifle to be carried with a much greater sear engagement than is conducive to good trigger control, but which protects the mechanism against accidental discharges caused by rough handling.

Actuating the first stage reduces the sear engagement to a minimum just before it is withdrawn entirely by the second stage, not unlike the action of a set trigger in reducing the additional force required to release the sear. Many target rifles are equipped with two stage triggers in which the majority of the weight of the trigger pull is taken up by the first stage, allowing a very light, clean pull for the second stage.

By the same token, removing the first stage reduces the sear engagement and the degree of protection it affords. This is different from the override trigger mechanism employed on most modern sporting rifles, starting with the Model 70 Winchester, where the sear engagement remains the same until the instant it is released.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: xausa]
      #195335 - 30/11/11 08:07 AM

I prefer 2-stage triggers. Alas, few new rifles have them, but my Ruger Predator does and I like it very much.

von Gruff, is that a 95 Mauser?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #195376 - 30/11/11 10:48 PM

Excuse me VG, have you canted the trigger?

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: kamilaroi]
      #195391 - 01/12/11 01:41 AM

The double stage trigger would be the best alternative for me but I like it only when after the first stage comes a clear stop and then the last pull is very short and crisp.

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #195402 - 01/12/11 03:30 AM

Quote:

The double stage trigger would be the best alternative for me but I like it only when after the first stage comes a clear stop and then the last pull is very short and crisp.

That's the characteristic of a well adjusted double stage trigger. The ones on my M1/M1A match rifles do exactly that, as do the ones on my Springfield target rifles.

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #195415 - 01/12/11 05:11 AM

Quote:

von Gruff, is that a 95 Mauser?

not a 95, it is a 50's FN ex mil.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: kamilaroi]
      #195416 - 01/12/11 05:25 AM

Quote:

Excuse me VG, have you canted the trigger?

Not canted. I have had the fingerpiece cut off and by using one from a second trigger was able to have the finger piece extended to the rear by a 1/4 inch or so. This brings the trigger to the rear of the guard and is visually more apealing to me and then filed a waist in the rear of the guard to suit.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by CptCurl (02/12/11 10:52 PM)

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #195638 - 03/12/11 06:26 PM

Igorrock send me your email address and I will send you photos of how H&H did it in 1913.

Cheers, Chris

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser trigger job by classic british way ? [Re: Rockdoc]
      #195652 - 03/12/11 10:51 PM

Here is two pictures which RockDoc send me. First made by H&H and the second by an unknown custom gunsmith.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (26/12/11 10:18 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6080

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com