Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Advice on a .275 Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Advice on a .275 Rigby
      #119816 - 30/11/08 07:32 AM

I have my eye on a couple of .275 Rigbys and wanted some advice from those more knowledgeable about them than I am. They are both marked "Rigby .275 High Velocity" on the top of the receiver ring. Barrels have the marking of "John Rigby & Co - 43 Sackville St. London". No load regulation data that I could see. Both rifles are in very nice shape, all original with no refinishing, in makers hard cases. One has a SN in the 57XX range, the other one is in the 63XX range (SNs on the trigger guard). The later gun has a 25" barrel, bore looks perfect, with a three leaf express sight (one standing, two folding) and a hooded bead up front. The earlier gun has the same sights, a partial coverage leaf pattern engravings, a shorter barrel and claw mounts. What are reasonable prices for rifles like these? I have a couple of pictures of the later gun but can't post/host them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #119817 - 30/11/08 07:40 AM

Sharps

What years to the serial number correspond to ?

Also, are the claw mounts original to the gun ?

If not, were they a Paul Roberts job or
someone else's ?

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: 500Nitro]
      #119819 - 30/11/08 07:52 AM

Quote:

Sharps

What years to the serial number correspond to ?

Also, are the claw mounts original to the gun ?

If not, were they a Paul Roberts job or
someone else's ?

I don't know the answer to either question. Where would I look for date information? The claw mounts look like they have been on the gun for a long time, I didn't look too close at them since the other rifle is the one that has caught my eye. I really don't know much about Mausers, or Rigbys for that matter, so I am out of my depth here.

Mark_Dube
.224 member

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #119831 - 30/11/08 11:11 AM

Sharps,

My 275 Rigby Lightweight is just below 5400 serial # and was made in 1929.

The HV load was a 140 grn bullet at 3000fps.

For what it's worth, my preference would lean away from the gun with the mounts unless they came with proper scope & rings.

--------------------
Mark

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #119834 - 30/11/08 11:28 AM

I would agree with Mark. Value depends very much on condition, but 8K is a ballpark for a decent example.

Mark_Dube
.224 member

Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: dons]
      #119836 - 30/11/08 11:40 AM

Sharps,

Sorry, I meant to offer to post photos for you.

E-mail them to me at vintagesxs@live.ca if you wish.

--------------------
Mark

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: Mark_Dube]
      #119846 - 30/11/08 01:58 PM

Be very very carefull.

It would be in your interest to post pictures here and see what people have to say.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: Bramble]
      #119848 - 30/11/08 02:06 PM

Quote:

Be very very carefull.

It would be in your interest to post pictures here and see what people have to say.

Bramble

Why do you say that ?

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#119856 - 30/11/08 04:37 PM

Mark,

I sent the two photos I took today to your email. Thanks.

They were rushed, I'll try to take some better ones on Friday.

SharpsNitro

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#119857 - 30/11/08 04:42 PM

Quote:

Be very very carefull.

I trust the seller, I've known him for many years. I was hoping for feedback from those who know more than I do; as I said above, I don't know much about Mausers.

500Nitro
.450 member

#119859 - 30/11/08 04:50 PM

Once you post photos, it will be easier.

But what you've written so far sounds OK to me in terms of description etc and whether it is original or not.

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #119867 - 30/11/08 07:33 PM

The Mauser action serial number would help, ( this will be shown seperately to the Rigby number), at least tell us when the action was acquired form the Mauser factory.
Many of these were acquired as barelled actions and are considered by some of us to be more Mauser than Rigby. Post the pics and all will be revealed!!!

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Mark_Dube
.224 member

Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: paradox_]
      #119881 - 30/11/08 11:53 PM

Here are SharpsNitro's pic's.

--------------------
Mark

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #119886 - 01/12/08 12:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Be very very carefull.

Bramble

Why do you say that ?

Because IMHO there are a lot of snide BA rifle around being passed off as things that they are not.

I have seen stuff pass through auctions at prices that indicate that for the current condition of the gun, the only way the price would be justified is to retain maker engraved items and to replace (fake) the rest.
This situation can only be made worse by the lack of access to some makers records. As Peter published the other day, he put the serial number of this Bonneville moter bike into Westley Richards site and got a manufacture date!!

I did not understand from the origional post that the vendor and purchaser were known to each other so this cannot apply here.

Regards

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #119911 - 01/12/08 06:01 AM

I guess the main question is how much is the seller asking?

It would be mine at any rate.

Also, I don't think I ever got a special deal from a friend, despite what they told me.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#119930 - 01/12/08 11:28 AM

Quote:

The Mauser action serial number would help, ( this will be shown seperately to the Rigby number), at least tell us when the action was acquired form the Mauser factory.
Many of these were acquired as barelled actions and are considered by some of us to be more Mauser than Rigby. Post the pics and all will be revealed!!!

The only other number I have at the moment is what looks like 6042 on the top of the bolt handle in the picture. I'll look for the other serial number this week. Also in the picture is a 42 on the top of the bolt release.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#119931 - 01/12/08 11:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Be very very carefull.

Bramble

Why do you say that ?

Because IMHO there are a lot of snide BA rifle around being passed off as things that they are not.

I have seen stuff pass through auctions at prices that indicate that for the current condition of the gun, the only way the price would be justified is to retain maker engraved items and to replace (fake) the rest.
This situation can only be made worse by the lack of access to some makers records. As Peter published the other day, he put the serial number of this Bonneville moter bike into Westley Richards site and got a manufacture date!!

I did not understand from the origional post that the vendor and purchaser were known to each other so this cannot apply here.

Regards

No problem, I appreciate any advice I can get. To add a little more information on the rifles that the seller told me (I think I have this right, I wasn't paying full attention at the time). The rifles were purchased from the WJ Jeffery table at an SCI convention several years ago.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: mickey]
      #119932 - 01/12/08 11:40 AM

Quote:

I guess the main question is how much is the seller asking?

It would be mine at any rate.

Also, I don't think I ever got a special deal from a friend, despite what they told me.

The only deal involved is I'm second in line. Asking price is $6k.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #119950 - 01/12/08 02:01 PM

sharpsnitro,the asking price is reasonable for a cased rigby which looks to be corect outside of the holes for scope bases it would be nice to get a side view pic of the bolt side with the express sights, there is one on guns america for around 7k that has been refinished and also has a side mount although the mount actually does not look bad , it is not original to the gun.try to get info from paul roberts he can be reached at jeffery rifles of england ...paul

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: pjaln]
      #119959 - 01/12/08 04:35 PM

Moreover the generic travel case may be an addition as the trade label appears "new". (repro???)

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#120131 - 03/12/08 07:38 AM

Quote:

Okay, I stopped in and looked them over again and took a bunch more pictures. There are no Mauser markings or serial numbers visible on either action. The Rigby serial numbers on the trigger guards and left side receiver rings are the only ones. The second rifle is a 60XX number not a 63XX as I thought. What does this mean?

pjaln
.375 member

#120174 - 03/12/08 12:40 PM

if did not take them out of the stock you will not see the mauser numbers if they are there,post the pics, so far the gun looks good to me ,i just dont like the rear bridge being shave down to accept someones base and the front ring tapped, other than that for a cased gun it is a decent price , and if it happens that the case is not original to the gun it is still worth 750-1000.
get yourself some solid info from paul roberts himself at jeffery rifles...paul

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Advice on a .275 Rigby [Re: pjaln]
      #120177 - 03/12/08 01:11 PM

Quote:

if did not take them out of the stock you will not see the mauser numbers if they are there,post the pics, so far the gun looks good to me ,i just dont like the rear bridge being shave down to accept someones base and the front ring tapped, other than that for a cased gun it is a decent price , and if it happens that the case is not original to the gun it is still worth 750-1000.
get yourself some solid info from paul roberts himself at jeffery rifles...paul

I emailed the new pictures to Mark_Dube to post for me. To avoid using the flash I turned the ISO speed way up with made them a bit grainy, you can't tell that much after they have been shrunk in size though. I'll try contacting Paul Roberts next.

Mark_Dube
.224 member

#120196 - 03/12/08 02:42 PM

Here are the pics for SharpsNitro.

Gun # 1

Gun # 2

--------------------
Mark

pjaln
.375 member

#120202 - 03/12/08 04:09 PM

sharpsnitro, the first gun looks like it has been engraved in german taste i suppose whoever did it also put the scope bases on and bent the handle ,it is built on an early action =small ring ,rigby did build some early guns on small ring oberndorf transition actions .personally i do not like the way this gun looks ,the scope bases, changed bolt handle , not just bent ,but a new one welded on,the engraving is not english styling at all

gun # 2 although this gun was definetly refinished the overall styling is more typical early rigby
the only thing bothering me would be the rear bridge being shaved and tapped as well as the front ring
sorry if my opinion is a little blunt , remember there are enough of these guns around especially the 275s so if you can wait others come along ,btw my above pick is gun#2 try to chisel the seller down a little more towards 5k and i dont think you will get hurt...paul

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7436

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com