Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really?
      #112762 - 28/08/08 05:25 AM

Mine isn't, Tatume's isn't, is yours?

Especially y'all with the Big Hole guns?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #112768 - 28/08/08 07:11 AM

Dunno, Haven't gotten the CZ550 505 to play with yet, but it looks kinda like a push feed to inspection and the bolt pictures I have seen. I am anxious to see how it functions!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #113074 - 31/08/08 12:36 PM

How exactly do YOU define 'controlled feed'. You state your 550 extractor will not jump over the rim of a cartridge dropped into the chamber but will chamber a round from the magazine which must mean the rim is under the extractor before the round enters the chamber. Just curious.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: zimhunter]
      #113109 - 31/08/08 07:22 PM

I've owned three sporterised Mauser '98's ( two FN ) a BRNO ZKK601 and an American CZ550 in .308.

The sporterised mausers would not close on a single round fed into the breech. They also grabbed the round under the extractor as it 'popped' up and out of the magazine well and before moving it forward to chamber. To me, this is controlled feed.

I can't remember what the ZKK did.

My CZ550 has the detachable box magazine and will close on a single round fed by hand into the chamber. As stated in earlier posts, the round from the magazine does not slip under the extractor claw until it is totally pushed forward out of the magazine and is central to the bore and half way into the chamber.

I would like to know what the non-detachable magazine Cz's do ? I consider my CZ more a controlled extraction than controlled feed.

Edited by tophet1 (01/09/08 09:02 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: tophet1]
      #113126 - 31/08/08 11:54 PM

Zimhunter, good question, and tophet pretty much answers it below.

Quote:

As stated in earlier posts, the round from the magazine does not slip under the extractor claw until it is totally pushed forward out of the magazine and is central to the bore and half way into the chamber.

The extractor on my CZ550 is cut away so much at the bottom that this very thing described above is exactly what happens to mine. Whereas on my other "real" Mausers, the rim slides under the extractor and becomes controlled by it before it has popped out of the magazine, on my CZ550, the round sort of pops out of the magazine and slides under the extractor as a fast "1,2" series of events.

However, the round cannot be extracted until it is almost all the way in the chamber. In fact, if the bolt is herky-jerky thrust forward, it is possible to get the round to get ahead of the extractor and then jam in the chamber without being grabbed by the extractor. Pressing on the side of the extractor allows it to snap over. This is a rare occurence in normal operation but can and has happened.

I consider my CZ more a controlled extraction than controlled feed.

Yes, tophet, exactly. I see mine the same way in that after the round is chambered fully it can be extracted under control of the extractor and not lost as occurs with a Remington 700 as soon as a plunger-type kicks it out or something similar to that. In this regard my 550 is more like my SAKO AV.

Here's the rub;

According to CZ, Tatume's gun is wrong. The extractor is not supposed to snap over. The action is supposed to be "controlled feed".

But in reality, since these guns do not have controlled feed of the magazine cartridges, his condition seems preferable than mine, due to the rare-but-possible condition I described above, since mine is not only not controlled feed, but won't snap over either.

I am curious if there are other extractors out there that might not be as heavily undercut as the 550 and would fit the CZ550 bolt and would thus return the rifle to its proper condition. A day rooting thru my gunsmith's Mauser drawers might uncover something?

Before anyone asks, I feel somewhat more confident in my own adjusting skills than I do in sending this rifle to CZ for "adjustment". It may come to that, but my experience with them in the past indicates that I might better just keep my own paws on my gun, and their's off.

Zim, thanks for asking and breathing some new life in this thread.

Maybe others will function test their guns and see how they actually work. I am really curious as to the DG guns. I would NOT want my condition on a DG rifle. It is possible that a larger case {H&H or Rigby or 505-size} might function differently.

The test should include some back-and-forth movement of the bolt when chambering a round to determine at what point, if ever, the cartridge rim comes under grasp by the extractor.

Maybe I can shoot some pix of when a real Mauser grabs a case, vs. what the CZ does. The CZ is more akin to a SAKO AV or Ruger than a Mauser 98. In fact, Tatume's rifle seems about spot on a older Ruger, tho many of the newer Rugers seem to act similarly.

Thanks for the post here.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (01/09/08 12:30 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #113135 - 01/09/08 12:35 AM

Another example that the good old Mauser is the way to go.
Even I, being a huge fan of the cartridge pick-up and controlled feed of the Mauser 98, was thoroughly surprised at how well they work.
Example: An accquaintance of mine, who owns a .500 Shuler that is similar to mine, was having problems with his extractor. The claw contour was too large and didn't clip around the rim too well, and certainly didn't grasp the rim as it should.
For comparison, we pulled my bolt and clipped a shell onto the face of the bolt with the rim under the extractor. The fit was so good, you could hold the catridge with the bolt hanging off the end, and, if holding the bolt, the extractor could keep the cartridge attached and straight at any angle. I bet the bolt could be cycled with the gun upside down!
Now thats controlled feed!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #113137 - 01/09/08 12:41 AM

I have a ZKK602 375H&H and a CZ550 'Magnum' (so marked on side of reciever) in 416Rigby. Both extractors look the same and function exactly alike. As the round is withdrawn from the magazine by the bolt the rim enters the extractor as soon as the round starts to leave the magazine,ie: as soon as the rails release it to rise into the extractor. This means the rim is completely under the extractor for at least half the length of the case. I don't know how much more 'controlled' the round could be. Only other model I have used was a ZKK 601,I believe, in 308 and it functioned the same as mine. Have never seen any other smaller caliber 550's and as I said mine is MARKED 550 MAGNUM so maybe the extractor is different on the smaller calibers but if so I can can see no need for it to be so. The only thing I have done to mine is modify the follower as David Miller does to allow the last round to feed better. This just means grind the ridge on the follower back so the round is released on the left side as soon as it clears the rail on the right side. It's only a problem on the last round and is the same for any follower fed magazine in any gun. I will have to check out smaller caliber 550's next time I'm in a shop. I would expect the extractor to be the same on all magnum cases but it may not be.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: zimhunter]
      #113138 - 01/09/08 12:50 AM

Quote:

I have a ZKK602 375H&H and a CZ550 'Magnum' (so marked on side of reciever) in 416Rigby. Both extractors look the same and function exactly alike. As the round is withdrawn from the magazine by the bolt the rim enters the extractor as soon as the round starts to leave the magazine,ie: as soon as the rails release it to rise into the extractor. This means the rim is completely under the extractor for at least half the length of the case. I don't know how much more 'controlled' the round could be.

Thanks Zimhunter!

What you describe is what my 98's do.

I suspect "the cartridge was under the control of the magazine or the bolt at all times?" The rounds are not on my 550, tho I can on my 98 and 96.

Since CZ describes the action as a controlled feed action, and since they have told me the extractor is NOT supposed to snap over a chambered round, and since yours seem to function properly, I can only surmise that Tatume's and mine are the result of QC problems and are not designed to function/misfunction as they do.

Now, to go make some lemonade with my lemon...

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (01/09/08 01:39 AM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #113142 - 01/09/08 01:30 AM

Although I no longer own it, my Ruger M77 Mk II was a controlled-feed action. The cartridge was under the control of the magazine or the bolt at all times. The cartridge lifted directly into the extractor as it exited the magazine, and it was impossible to get a second round out of the magazine before the previous cartridge was ejected. It was every bit as good a system as the original Mauser action from which it was adapted. I've never understood why the Ruger action isn't the basis for more custom rifles.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: Tatume]
      #113143 - 01/09/08 01:43 AM

Tatume; some MKII's do, some don't, and some sometimes do, again, quite a bit depending on how the bolt is operated. I have several. But they all in my experience allow the extractor to snap over a chambered round.

PS: I stole your line and added it in quotes to my above post. It better describes the condition of what I poorly described at first.

--------------------

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #113165 - 01/09/08 09:19 AM

I guess it still comes down to the 'Nut Behind The Butt". If you short stroke the action you may/will have problems depending on your rifle if it does not have a 'simon pure' mauser '98 action.

The features of the Mauser '98 were developed to counter problems in the heat of battle, not hunting. Some of those features seem to have been extrapolated into hunting over the years, especially for DG hunting (which I have no experience of).

I know I can't break my CZ my operating the bolt normally. This is one of the reasons I bought it. So its a matter of vigourously cycling the action, practise, practise, practise and not worrying about loseing a few empties over the side.

Edit: Huvious, I certainly hope you don't have to operate your rifle upside down, it may indicate things are not going well on your hunt.....

Edited by tophet1 (01/09/08 09:26 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: tophet1]
      #113205 - 01/09/08 02:25 PM

Quote:

I guess it still comes down to the 'Nut Behind The Butt".

I generally agree, tho with the condition my rifle exhibits, a slow load {not a short stroke} can result in the cartridge hopping in front of the extractor which of course cannot snap over the rim when normal bolt thrust is used and must be pinched at the middle to allow this to occur. At some point I'll get around to fixing it.

A replacement extractor that does not have the large undercut, i.e. bottom cut away would be best I believe.

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #113235 - 01/09/08 06:16 PM

Could the best extractor be a spring-loaded one like Sako's, but with the bottom relieved, mounted on a Mauser-type bolt so that the case slides up under it to be control-fed? Then, if a ham-fisted shooter bumped the bolt forward, pushing the cartridge ahead of the extractor, the rim would still be grabbed when the bolt locked up.

Does anyone make a bolt like that? Not having been in the market for a new rifle for many years, I have lost touch with the state of the art.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #113236 - 01/09/08 06:30 PM

Quote:

some MKII's do, some don't,

9Three,
MK11 Ruger 77's were not all controlled feed.
The early MK11's were a push feed system, and the extractor and feed worked in a similar way to the the MK1 77's.

Regarding the Brno's, I've owned a couple of 602's and they were definately controlled feed.

Edited by 4seventy (01/09/08 07:54 PM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: Paul]
      #113256 - 01/09/08 09:17 PM

Lazzeroni made a modified feed action to "emulate" controlled feed by modifying a Savage 116 Safari action.It may be somewhat like you describe--see photos--

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/lazzeroni_savage/

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: 4seventy]
      #113258 - 01/09/08 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

some MKII's do, some don't,

9Three,
MK11 Ruger 77's were not all controlled feed.
The early MK11's were a push feed system, and the extractor and feed worked in a similar way to the the MK1 77's.

4seventy:

So, you are saying there are three Ruger extractor systems:

1} M77 {push feed, which we are not discussing}
2} Early M77MKII {push feed}
3} Current M77MKII {controlled feed}

What year is the is the break off point between MKII push feed and MKII CF?

Also, SAKO modified their own system and produced what they initially called controlled feed or some such but though I have never operated one...I think it is on the SAKO 95?...an article said it was a system that really did not take control of the round till just about all the way in the chamber {similar to my CZ}. Parenthetically, tho the old SAKO AV action does not have a CF extractor, the extractor on mine {.375 H&H} has been dead reliabled and due to the Mauser-type ejector does control the extracted round til the shooter wants to get rid of it, either by zinging it off yonder or for finger picking as when taking out a live round. It is a good system.

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (01/09/08 10:29 PM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

#113293 - 02/09/08 07:16 AM

Got a 505 coming,

Dunno if will act like CRF or not.Doubt it could control the cartridge with just the bolt. free of the action.Little support by the usual bolt metal around a portion of the cartridge rim as well. We will see how reliable it is at speed.Hope the chambers spec and the headspace right. It will operate around Double pressures.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#113299 - 02/09/08 09:15 AM

Quote:

4seventy:

So, you are saying there are three Ruger extractor systems:

1} M77 {push feed, which we are not discussing}
2} Early M77MKII {push feed}
3} Current M77MKII {controlled feed}

Yes, that's correct.

Quote:

What year is the is the break off point between MKII push feed and MKII CF?

I do remember roughly when I first handled a MK11 77 which had a controlled feed system.
A regular hunting client brought one with him in the very early 1990's.
It was a stainless synthetic in .308 Win.
I think this would have been in 1990 to 1991.
I was already filming and producing hunting videos back then and would have the footage of that rifle.
If I can dig out the original camera tape I should be able to put a more accurate date on it.

Prior to that rifle, I had handled quite a few Mk11's in various calibers and none had been controlled feed.
The difference was in the bolt face, where the early non CRF MK11's had a "coller" protruding from the lower part of the bolt face.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: 4seventy]
      #113310 - 02/09/08 12:15 PM

470,I believe the model Ruger you are refering to had a tang safety.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #113314 - 02/09/08 01:43 PM

Quote:

470,I believe the model Ruger you are refering to had a tang safety.

Al,
No, the tang safety model was the MK1 M77.
The one I'm talking about is the very first Mk11's which were stainless barrel, action, and bolt, and the greyish synthetic (canoe paddle) stock.
These had the pivoting safety situated on the right side of the top tang beside the bolt shroud.

Edited by 4seventy (02/09/08 06:22 PM)

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #113362 - 02/09/08 07:35 PM

Quote:

Lazzeroni made a modified feed action to "emulate" controlled feed by modifying a Savage 116 Safari action.It may be somewhat like you describe--see photos--

Thanks Hoppdoc. Yes, Lazzeroni are almost there.

For the hell of it, another thing I'd like to see would be a provision where, once the bolt has been pulled back a certain distance, it could not be reclosed without first reaching the bolt stop. The idea is to prevent African shortstroke. I have looked at ways to do this but patenting stuff is a pain unless you own the means of production, so someone else can have this one. Hopefully, the human reaction would be to realise what had happened and make the effort to get the new cartridge.

Even better would be a spring-loaded kicker to make sure the bolt goes back the last half inch - and pity help the shooter who doesn't raise his head. Extra effort would be needed to close the bolt, of course, but this shouldn't worry someone facing a charging animal. In any case, the pressure required would be nothing compared with closing an Enfield.

Too hard and complicated? Yeah, looks like its back to the reliable simplicity of a self-opening SLE.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: Paul]
      #113368 - 02/09/08 09:02 PM

I think I am going to add about 3/4 inch of length to the length of the CZ 550 stock for the 505 for several obvious reasons--
I have a long LOP and the CRF bolt withdrawal distance for the ~4 inch cartridge is quite long!!

The red line would be where your approximate EYEBALL position is on the stock with the CZ 550 bolt back!! Looks like your head must come off the stock abit with working the bolt!! Don't wanna "poke your eye out"!!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #113393 - 03/09/08 02:13 AM

4seventy:

I called Ruger.

Yes, they made MKII's that were Nnot CRF. They are researching the details and will email me.

The original M77 has never been officially a "MKI", but I know what you mean. That rifle I've heard mostly refered to as the "Tang Safety" model, and it is not and never was CRF. Your nomenclature works as well.

Guy's, if you want to test your rifle for its ability to control a round all the way into the chamber, try this:

"Using dummy rounds and pointing the muzzle in a safe direction..."

With a charged magazine, tip the muzzle down and slowly work the bolt {as you might if following up a wounded critter and not wanting to make a noise that might spook it to run}.

Some 98's and 98-types will control the round all the way into the chamber. Others will allow the round to pop up in front of the extractor claw. This makes a "ping" sound of sorts similar to the noise made when feeding a round in a Rem 700 or other pushfeed, and if the 98 is a stock original and the claw won't snap over the rim, will leave you with a round jammed in the chamber if you force the bolt on top of it unless you pinch the middle of the extractor claw {some 98's might not allow this?}.

I just tried it with several Rugers, a 96 and a FN 98 Mauser and my CZ550. The 98, 96 and a couple MKII Rugers were best. A Ruger failed a couple times and the 550 didn't control the round at all. That cut away extractor claw on the 550 is a bugger!!

Fun with Guns!!

--------------------

bpesteve
.300 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Sunset side up
      #113405 - 03/09/08 04:58 AM

This got me to thinking about the bolt guns I have. Like 9Three, my '96 and '98 (9,3x57 and 9x57 respectively) both fully control the round out of the magazine. If by some chance a round gets ahead of the extractor, like just dropping one in the open action and trying to close the bolt, the claw will not snap over the seated rim.

In my CZ550 in 9,3x62, not a large round in the sense of a .404 or .505, the extractor claw does engage the round before it leaves the magazine, though not with as quite much of the claw as do the '96 and '98. The 550 will also fairly easily close on a 'tossed in' round pushed ahead of the bolt, snapping over the seated rim with just a bit of extra force on the bolt handle.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CZ550 Controlled Feed: Oh Really? [Re: bpesteve]
      #113610 - 05/09/08 01:49 AM

Update:

Sorry for the long post, but...

I spoke to Ruger, and 4seventy has the thing about nailed.

From release in '89 till a changeover occuring in '92-'93, the MKII's were NOT CRF. From there on, they were.

Also, I have spoken to CZ, and have been told that the smaller calibers typically may or may not provide CRF and probably on the whole, do not. This is in fact as I surmised, due to the cut-out lower portion of the extractor. On larger calibers, CRF is probable.

I am having my extractor properly bevelled to allow snapover, as since the rifle cannot be counted-on to absolutely guarantee CRF, it makes no sense not to do so.

All this yap about CRF makes one thing absolutely crystal clear to me now.

Forget the hype, action type, the fact that your gun or the one you intend to buy is a "98" or any salesman shtick. I have heard for so many years the blanket statement that CRF actions are more reliable, and that is fine, but not so if they don't ACTUALLY produce the goods, and rarely have I ever {never in fact} read of any writer actually testing '98-type-action rifles to determine if they do provide CRF.

Reality is as reality does.

!!!!TEST YOUR RIFLE IN ALL FUNCTIONING ANGLES AND POSSIBLE POSITIONS BEFORE ASSUMING IT ACTUALLY PROVIDES CRF; Muzzle up, muzzle down, somewhat sideways, etc.!!!!

The gunsmith at CZ said that a muzzle down, slow feed as I suggested above can help determine the reliability of your action. In fact, since posting above, I've played around with my 98 and it, too, has failed a couple times.

If we were talking about expecting the gun to feed correctly upside down or under some other extreme condition, I would say this whole discussion is esoteric.

But a rifle fed slowly in a muzzle-down condition is in my opinion NOT an extreme condition and if its extractor does not snap over IMO the rifle would represent a potential real-life hazard if used under DG hunting conditions.

A 98 that doesn't provide CRF and doesn't snap over is not "faultless" and I bet there are many that only provide a sort-of CRF. Such rifles would make a Remington 700, SAKO AV, Savage 110, Winchester 70 push-or-CRF or Ruger M77 look very good indeed, especially the Ruger CRF {I can't remember Win's but think they snap over also as I believe do M17/P14 "Enfield"} action rifles since they are designed to snap over right from the factory, and under almost all conditions such rifles probably provide CRF anyway. And for DG, an unreliably-controlled 98 makes a double look even better!

I have always been just a tiny bit skeptical about the actual field value of CRF. I totally admit that under certain circumstances it would be valuable and could even "save a life", but if the rifle only gives sort-of pseudo-CRF the point is moot whether it is called a 98, 96, CZ or anything else.

Thanks for all your posts and input.

Keep 'em coming, too, since it would be interesting to see how many '98's when really given the test actually provide CRF.

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (05/09/08 03:13 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19575

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com