Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 Review...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
CZ 550 Review...
      #100576 - 28/03/08 03:40 AM

OK, I've had this thing for a while, have carried it for a bit over 60 miles, put a couple hundred rounds thru it and shot a couple little critters. Most recent was yesterday:

The rifle reminds me A LOT of a sporterized 1917 Enfield. Action is truly massive and seems to dwarf a slim, trim 94 Swede and, as mine is chambered for the 6.5x55, my mind constantly conjures up the 94 in comparison/contrast.

I have always been highly skeptical of the "controlled round" feeding of the 98 Mausers because many, in fact most I have handled over the years, do not allow the extractor the cartridge rim to engage the extractor till the case has almost reached the chamber making the feature a feature in theory more than in practice. This 550 is one of many. It is easy to make the rifle double feed by slowly working the bolt and then withdrawing or hesitating before the first round is chambered. I consider it no big deal, but it is an occurence that can happen, as if somebody was trying to work the bolt very quietly in the presence of game and for some reason hesitated with the bolt. SOME Mausers I've owned grabbed the case head much earlier than this one.

The extractor does NOT slip over a case head that is sitting in the chamber. That I confess I do not like.

I really DO like the safety location. Again, just like the 1917 and placed perfectly for left thumb snicking. I also like the set trigger. Very handy. Bolt release is easy to use, positive and seems to have no drawbacks.

I am a lefty but like to shoot occaisionally from my right shoulder so I am familiar with that in the event I need to use the right side. Bolt binds a bit when fully withdrawn and pushed forward when using the the right hand. No problems lefthanded at all. I must find the culprit area and polish it. Very little wobble at the end stroke like many other Mausers, however. Maybe not enough wobble...

The gun is a bit too heavy. Really, the stock could have been trimmed down and a lighter barrel used. And again, like many sporter '17's I've seen. DOES make for easy shooting in 6.5 to be sure. On the trail, I keep wondering about a 6 lb Mannlicher stocked 94 like I did this morning in a whiteout Winter Storm...

The Mannlicher forearm makes for a handy Alpenstock on steep slopes.

Recoil pad is ugly, but it "squirshes" a bit so I guess it works. I'm not too much of a fan of open-sided pads as they collect stuff.

The gun is a keeper. It was worth the bedding/stocking work, and I reckon I'll collect an eatin' critter or two with it. It is very accurate {as posted elsewhere}, rugged, handles nicely, is easy to shoot, and not to ugly, either.

I like it.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tkv000
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/08
Loc: Canada
Re: CZ 550 Review... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #100582 - 28/03/08 06:14 AM

Thanks for the review, I am buying the EXACT gun (Sans set trigger, I don't think its available in Canada, though I really want one). Does yours have a plastic hinge plate? I've heard reports of some that do.

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: CZ 550 Review... [Re: tkv000]
      #100607 - 28/03/08 11:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the review, I am buying the EXACT gun (Sans set trigger, I don't think its available in Canada, though I really want one). Does yours have a plastic hinge plate? I've heard reports of some that do.

Too bad re: set trigger. Can one be retrofitted?

No plastic on mine. I have heard the same thing you say.

See my other post re: bedding if you like.

Throat is short compared to my old Swede 38 and my old Ruger, about the same as my later Ruger 6.5's.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

LarrysGrip
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Upstate, SC, USA
Re: CZ 550 Review... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #104481 - 08/05/08 02:33 AM

Now you've done the bunny hop you'll have to see if you can hit ground squirrels with it too. But I know you're ager to unleash this one on deer, elk and moose. Have I told you how very glad I am that you encouraged me to get a Ruger M77 MKII in 6.5x55? Cousins in arms.

--------------------
Larry

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3758

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com