Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade
      #376795 - 18/05/23 06:44 AM

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/the-special-colonial-quality-318/

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #376799 - 18/05/23 09:12 AM

Strange that the barrelled action doesn’t appear to be inletted to full depth.

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: metal]
      #376800 - 18/05/23 09:56 AM

I like that a lot.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: degoins]
      #376807 - 18/05/23 12:53 PM

That is nice. What's not to like?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: DarylS]
      #376808 - 18/05/23 06:31 PM

I like these plainer rifles more than the over embellished ones.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: NitroX]
      #376809 - 18/05/23 07:39 PM

Sorry, but this action does not look like a “standard-length commercial Mauser action” to me. The round-knob bolt handle, the short striker nut and the locking screws in the bottom metal denounce it as a reworked ex-military action of WW1 vintage. During the interwar years every gunmaker used such cheap as dirt leftover actions on their standard grade rifles.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#376810 - 18/05/23 10:04 PM

Quote:

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/the-special-colonial-quality-318/

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/...-1-960x1200.jpg

May 16, 2023

The Special Colonial Quality .318
Often when referring to the level of embellishment of a gun, the word "quality" is used in the English gun trade the same way "grade" is used in the U.S. market. This is sometimes confusing to U.S. customers that the word “quality” is not necessarily referring to how well the gun was made, instead it often refers to what type of embellishments or other upgrades the gun has.
By LD McCaa

For the most part, guns and rifles made in England between the two world wars were all made to a very high level. Because quality was so consistent from one gunmaker to the next during this period, the between-the-wars era is often referred to as the "golden age" of the English gun trade.

Prior to WWII, Westley Richards & Co. offered a variety of different grades or "qualities" of guns and rifles in efforts to target a wider market. Like most English makers, Westley’s Best Quality was the closest thing the firm offered to a standard model, available with all of Westley’s patented features such as the One Trigger or foresight protector along with a horn forend tip, and/or horn bolt knob, and may or not include the firm’s “house” engraving. Above and beyond the Best Quality, was the Modele De Luxe and Modele De Grande Luxe, both qualities or grades that feature the same patented mechanical features as the Best Quality but much more elaborately engraved and embellished.

On the opposite end of the firm’s offerings were guns that were more utilitarian in their appearance. Still made to a very high level of workmanship, these models were made to sell at a certain price point and did not incorporate the more expensive options available on Best Quality and Modele De Luxe versions. The different levels of embellishment were designed to appeal to many different tastes and budgets and the models that were the plainest were simply meant to be a more affordable option.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/DNG-WR-.318-BA-41373-5.jpg

During this period, the most basic of bolt action rifles offered by Westley Richards was referred to as the Special Colonial Quality Sporting Magazine Rifle. This model had a full pistol grip with checkering on the forend and grip and a military style steel butt with a solid horn grip cap and island style sights. At a higher price, the Best Quality version had a cheekpiece, trap grip cap, full-length engine turned rib, and combination day/night sight with Westley’s registered sight protector.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/LDs-Scan-1.jpg

A very nice example of No. 513 - Special Colonial Quality Sporting Magazine Rifle Completed in 1924 just arrived at the U.S. Agency. Like all bolt action magazine rifles made by Westley Richards during the 1920's, this model was based on a standard-length commercial Mauser action and this version has a hinged military style floorplate as opposed to the hinged floor plates fitted with lever releases on the more expensive versions.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/DNG-WR-.318-BA-41373-2.jpg

The 26" barrel was made in house at the time of Westley Richards Special Steel, as were all the Mauser action magazine rifles during this period, no matter what grade. The barrel is fitted with an island rear sight block with 1 standing/4 folding leaves (100, 200, 300, 400, 500 yds) and an island foresight with brass beaded sight blade.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/DNG-WR-.318-BA-41373-3.jpg

The barrel is engraved: Westley Richards & Co. London with Westley Richards' trademark Golden Triangle on the Nock's form and the the left side of the action's front ring marked with the serial number and “.318 WR Accelerated Express”. The stock has a 14 5/8" LOP over a smooth steel trap-butt plate wrap-around point pattern checkering on the hand and forearm of the stock and a horn grip cap and forend tip. Traditional sling eye on the toe line with the front sling eye mounted to the bottom of the barrel. The rifle weighs 7 lbs. 14 oz.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/DNG-WR-.318-BA-41373-4.jpg

Maharajas aside, the very fancy, highly embellished Modele De Luxe and Modele De Grande Luxe guns and rifles rarely saw much use, but the lower priced guns and rifles, such as this Special Colonial Quality, rarely went unused serving as a hunting rifle one minute and boat paddle the next.

This example remains in remarkably high, original condition with a perfect bore, which is quite rare for this model. The rifle has that well weathered patina developed slowly over 99 years but was well cared for and retains much of its original black on the barrel, action and bottom metal and much original oil finish on the stock. Even the stock oval remains blank and the "Made in England" cartouche on the toe-line just behind the grip remains prominent and undisturbed.

Original pre-war rifles by Westley Richards chambered for the .318 Accelerated Express are quite hard to find today in any grade but it is exceedingly rare to find a Colonial Quality, a rifle intended for hard use, remaining in such high original condition and collectors should take note.

By LD McCaa

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#376811 - 18/05/23 10:54 PM

Quote:

Often when referring to the level of embellishment of a gun, the word "quality" is used in the English gun trade the same way "grade" is used in the U.S. market. This is sometimes confusing to U.S. customers that the word “quality” is not necessarily referring to how well the gun was made, instead it often refers to what type of embellishments or other upgrades the gun has.
By LD McCaa

For the most part, guns and rifles made in England between the two world wars were all made to a very high level. Because quality was so consistent from one gunmaker to the next during this period, the between-the-wars era is often referred to as the "golden age" of the English gun trade.

Prior to WWII, Westley Richards & Co. offered a variety of different grades or "qualities" of guns and rifles in efforts to target a wider market. Like most English makers, Westley’s Best Quality was the closest thing the firm offered to a standard model, available with all of Westley’s patented features such as the One Trigger or foresight protector along with a horn forend tip, and/or horn bolt knob, and may or not include the firm’s “house” engraving. Above and beyond the Best Quality, was the Modele De Luxe and Modele De Grande Luxe, both qualities or grades that feature the same patented mechanical features as the Best Quality but much more elaborately engraved and embellished.

On the opposite end of the firm’s offerings were guns that were more utilitarian in their appearance. Still made to a very high level of workmanship, these models were made to sell at a certain price point and did not incorporate the more expensive options available on Best Quality and Modele De Luxe versions. The different levels of embellishment were designed to appeal to many different tastes and budgets and the models that were the plainest were simply meant to be a more affordable option.

This was interesting. I wasn't aware of the terms. A bit of education,

--------------------
John aka NitroX

jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
      #376836 - 19/05/23 02:28 PM

I agree with Kuduae, that's an ex-military M98 action, not a commercial action.

The .318 is one of my favourite cartridges, and I hunted a lot of critters with one for the best part of a decade. It was tough to get one of those 250-grain Woodleigh softs back as they normally just flew straight through whatever they were aimed at, big or small. The only one I managed to get back penetrated nearly the full length of a large warthog boar. I misjudged the angle as the pig was standing in some tall Zululand grass. The bullet hit him on the left rear leg and we recovered it behind the skull, perfectly expanded. I took the rifle to Zim once in the hope of shooting a buffalo with it, but we just couldn't get close enough.

The .318 really punches above its weight and is much closer to the 9,3x62 in performance than the .30-06.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: metal]
      #376867 - 21/05/23 02:30 PM

Possibly done to reduce the amount of work required in in-letting and stock work in general especially around the bolt release lever. One of the ways to keep the cost down on a Colonial grade gun.

Matt.

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: jvw]
      #376868 - 21/05/23 02:37 PM

Johan, you will have to bring your rifle to the next BGRC shoot, I would love to see it.

I found out recently that there are a couple of other members with original 318 WR rifles, they are bringing them on the next shoot.

The 318 was Bells favorite rifle and had the greatest praise for the rifle and the cartridge taking hundreds of elephants with it. That was also the rifle used on the famous Cormorant shooting anecdote. He claimed that it penetrated better than any other cartridge that he used.

I use a 338 WM with 250 grain bullets and would agree completely. That 330-338 diameter bullet range with a 250 grain bullet is a very effective combination.

Matt.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #376885 - 22/05/23 09:11 AM

Now that is a hunting rifle!!!
Very nice piece of kit indeed!

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: 93x64mm]
      #376906 - 23/05/23 02:54 AM

Lovely rifle that is business like! Isn't the ballistics of .318 very similar to the .338'06 or .333 OKH?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: JDL]
      #376911 - 23/05/23 06:36 AM

Quote:

Lovely rifle that is business like! Isn't the ballistics of .318 very similar to the .338'06 or .333 OKH?

No, the .338/06 has similar ballistics to the original .318 WR.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
      #376929 - 24/05/23 09:42 PM

Nice to see all the interest in the .318 !!!!!! It would be great to see a revival of this cartridge, like we have seen with the 470 and the 450/400 and the 9.3x62.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #376934 - 25/05/23 04:11 AM

The 9.3x62 needed no "revival" as it was well and quite popular all the time in Germany and the other continental European countries. Here in Germany you may encounter more 9.3x62s than all the belted Magnums together.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #376939 - 25/05/23 06:07 AM

Quote:

Nice to see all the interest in the .318 !!!!!! It would be great to see a revival of this cartridge, like we have seen with the 470 and the 450/400 and the 9.3x62.

It would be great to see a proper “revival” of the .318 WR.
That said, I rather doubt it is a realistic wish because of the .330” bullet diameter. Such a revival would certainly hinge on one of the major bullet makers (and ammo maker) deciding that there was sufficient market for same.
At the same time there would have to be rifles and customers……seems the bulk of rifle customers these days go for black plastic and stainless steel in the latest “fad” caliber.

Alas I think this falls into the category of custom or vintage rifles for the relatively few enthusiasts.

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: 3DogMike]
      #376941 - 25/05/23 07:10 AM

Just call it a .330 Creedmoor ....

It will be better than everything else, even if originally invented 130 years before ...

A revival of a .318 WR won't happen because of the .338/06 and 8.5x63.

If you want it, you can already get the .338 versions and lots of bullet choices.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
      #376944 - 25/05/23 08:55 AM

“.330 Creedmore” LOL, I love it !!!!!!!!!
I know you guys are right, I just love the old stuff.
(For the record I’ve had a couple of .318’s , like a fool I sold them).

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #376945 - 25/05/23 09:21 AM

".330 Man Bun Express" has kind of a ring to it as well.

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378096 - 26/07/23 11:46 PM

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/DNG-WR-.318-BA-41373-4.jpg

What projectiles do you think these are?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #378101 - 27/07/23 05:46 AM

Now that is a sweet rifle!

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: 93x64mm]
      #378105 - 27/07/23 07:03 AM

Those are the Westley Richards “LT Capped” bullets.
“LT” for Leslie Taylor who was the managing director at the time I believe.

These bullets have a hollow “cap” for the nose - you can see the seam where they are swaged together.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/us/theexplora/leslie-b-taylor-capped-bullet/

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: A very nice 318 WR in Colonial Grade [Re: Huvius]
      #378106 - 27/07/23 03:57 PM

Couple of WR ammo boxes in the original posted images from where I've cropped image below.
The upper box in the image below easily reads 250gr copper capped bullet whereas the lower box has more difficult to read stamping of 250gr nickel capped bullet which appears to those shown in the charging clip cartridges, 'LT capped' as Huvius says. Enlarge the image to read the "Nickel" capped stamping.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3251

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com