Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf Mauser Model S 8x57 circa 1925. w/ Wehrmann sight

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model S 8x57 circa 1925. w/ Wehrmann sight [Re: rpeck]
      #358366 - 21/11/21 03:05 AM

Beautiful Type S that’s a great looking example with a tough site to find! I’ve yet to find an S, one of these days, so many have issues with originality though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model S 8x57 circa 1925. w/ Wehrmann sight [Re: rigbymauser]
      #358528 - 25/11/21 01:40 AM

Quote:

Beautiful.

They don't make them like that anymore.

I often wondered...that generation that grew up with muzzleloaders and pinfire saw the repeting rifle as some modern crap?..

In an obscure dusty section of a university library three or more decades ago, I found a very old book written by an English game keeper who thought that the new-fangled percussion caps were "modern crap"...but rather than flintlocks, he actually preferred to use his old wheelocks. And he romantically went on at length about their virtues...claiming that they had some sort of poetic affinity or echo with the nature of the forest....very much like the way blued steel and walnut fans these days condemn stainless and synthetic stocks. Wish I could remember the name of that book.

By the way, I ditched that Wehrmann peep sight...designed as a target sight for service rifles, it was just too flimsy for a hunting rifle, in my opinion.

Edited by rpeck (25/11/21 02:03 AM)

rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model S 8x57 circa 1925. w/ Wehrmann sight [Re: themauserkid]
      #358530 - 25/11/21 02:12 AM

Quote:

I’ve yet to find an S, one of these days, so many have issues with originality though.

I suspect that the type S is more common in Canada than in the USA. Without looking too hard, I have found three or four, although this one is the best so far. A good type M seems harder to find up here.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6659

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com