Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: FN98 Stutzen .300 H+H Mag with Bubinga Stock

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: FN98 Stutzen .300 H+H Mag with Bubinga Stock [Re: grandveneur]
      #319839 - 14/09/18 10:15 AM

And sometimes you just want a certain caliber... so maybe that’s a factor too? To each their own. I want a .585 Nyati as a 20” barrel full stock gun.. heavy euro looking thumper. Not a “proper” chambering for such a rifle but I want something different so that’s that.

If you want to talk about “optimum barrel lengths” then all those beloved Mauser and Brno .22’s are stupid as they’re usually twice as long as “optimum”..

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Re: FN98 Stutzen .300 H+H Mag with Bubinga Stock [Re: rpeck]
      #320250 - 01/10/18 10:30 PM

Quote:

The real problem is that they used ivory at all, making travel with the rifle across political borders now virtually impossible because of the zero tolerance ivory ban. I inherited some elephant tusk carvings of Samurai from 18th c. Japan and I know something about transporting ivory across international borders. Its very difficult, even with 250 year old antique art works. Looks like this rifle is staying in Canada.

Forget ivory bans....Now that they (CITES) have added Bubinga wood to the list of banned rosewoods (even though it is not endangered and is not even a real rosewood) it will likely be impossible to get this rifle across international borders, particularly anywhere in Africa, simply because of the wood in the stock.

rpeck

Re: FN98 Stutzen .300 H+H Mag with Bubinga Stock [Re: Dogfish858]
      #320251 - 01/10/18 10:32 PM

Quote:

That is a truly excellent rifle. An Afro-stutzen if you will. .300 H&H to avoid military calibre trouble and achieve slightly better brush shooting performance with heavier bullets. Ivory inlay to bring focus and contrast to the black trigger guard and engraved floorplate, possibly influenced by Arabic or African folk (bubba) gun art. Bubinga to keep in the Africa theme plus moderate the recoil a bit, which is evidently an issue vis a vis the rubber recoil pad. Yet overall heavy Germanic flavor of the stock. Even the absence of checkering seems intentional as the stock would then look quite busy. A specific rifle built by a specific person for a specific purpose in a specific era, and very well executed.

Excellent.

Indeed.

rpeck

Re: FN98 Stutzen .300 H+H Mag with Bubinga Stock [Re: grandveneur]
      #328039 - 04/05/19 06:53 PM

By the way, although likely of more interest to locals (New Brunswick, Canada), but perhaps with some general interest as well: This rifle once belonged to a member of the wealthy Oland family. Dennis Oland has been on trial off and on for 8 years for the 2011 brutal axe murder of his father, the Oland family patriarch.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-supreme-court-defence-appeal-1.4043702
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-closing-arguments-1.5054635
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Richard_Oland

Edited by rpeck (04/05/19 06:59 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10851

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com