Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back
      #244856 - 02/04/14 10:40 PM

I borrowed this image because it is a good image and coming true. Reproduced this post from "The Big Game Rifle" thread.

Spoke to Marc Newton of John Rigby London tonight, and I am excited about the news from Rigby. Many of desires expressed by people on this forum will come true from the plans Rigby has.

Many have expressed the Big Game rifle is not a true vintage copy of some of the original Rigbys. That is true. The new rifle has better steel compared to some of the older rifles, the stock was made stronger to eliminate some of the problems original Rigby stocks had. Many of the vintage rifles ended up with cracked stocks, broken wrists etc. The stocks are better wood than the originals being Turkish kiln dried walnut. Yes the barrel is beefier, designed to reduce rifle whip and reaction time when shooting a .416.

The Big Game model is a Rigby working rifle, for the Professional Hunter, or the client wanting an English Mauser Magnum action rifle made for a good price. They are selling very well.

But the exciting news to many is a Vintage line of rifles will be released in the next two or three months. Some have been made already. The "Vintage" range of Rigby rifles will more closer match the vintage rifles of yesteryear, but with better wood and steel. They will be more expensive than the Big Game model but for a substantially London made Magnum bolt action rifle that is pretty much expected.

In addition Rigby also makes the "London Best" range to order. You get what you want.

And the Double Rifle Rising Bite is coming out again. Two have been made with about twenty underway. So the double rifle connoisseur will be satisfied as well. Twenty rifles is a substantial number of a rifle of this quality in the world of double rifles.

We will see more of these developments in the future months here on NitroExpress.com so stay tuned.

I think with all these developments the Old Rigby will truly be back.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: NitroX]
      #244857 - 02/04/14 10:47 PM

Reports Ive had from people examining the Big Game Rifle up close is one of shoddy details, alot of cheap solutions and a feel not dissimilar to a CZ550. Dont get me wrong, the CZ550 is a fine rifle but for the thick end of 8000 Euro and with the Rigby name attached I do expect more.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #244859 - 02/04/14 11:00 PM

Lots of buyers disagree with you. About a hundred rifles sold already, and at the price you complain about. So I guess there is a LOT of people different in price assessment.

BTW have you actually seen one yourself? It is obviously different from a CZ550 from the photos alone. Your comments on the earlier thread were a little extreme from photos alone.

As was written above Big Game model was designed as a PH working rifle, and I am guessing it has been a substantial hit from people needing quality working rifles.

However this thread is about the new developments which I hope you read. Many have asked for a "Vintage" styled rifle and plans are underway where this is meant to happen. I'm excited to see what will be released in about three months.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Dumprat
.300 member

Reged: 20/02/14
Loc: Vancouver island bc.
      #244864 - 03/04/14 12:51 AM

So this means Rigby is back being made in England and not California ? Or am I behind the times?

It should be interesting to see the three models lined up side by side. (Not that I could afford one mind you) To me the early Rigby is the pinnacle of hunting rifle style. Beautiful because of its simplicity.

Fontainebleu
.300 member

#244865 - 03/04/14 12:55 AM

And lots of people who didnt buy disagrees with the buyers who did buy.
I had the chance to see them last week they had an exhibition in Oslo. The rifle does not interest me at all based on rapports so I did not bother with the trip, Another Norwegian on this forum did though and he did not like it at all.

Im sure mechanically its a very well functioning rifle for what it is, but when it carries the Legend of Rigby on its shoulders it falls way short of expectation imho.

That being said Im sure the buffalos wont like seeing Rigby back

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#244867 - 03/04/14 01:19 AM

Quote:

I had the chance to see them last week they had an exhibition in Oslo. The rifle does not interest me at all based on rapports so I did not bother with the trip, Another Norwegian on this forum did though and he did not like it at all.

Im sure mechanically its a very well functioning rifle for what it is, but when it carries the Legend of Rigby on its shoulders it falls way short of expectation imho.

Again you have missed the point of the post, the information a vintage range of new Rigbys are to be introduced. Which if they make the grade will answer many of the complaints of a number of people. What more can a gunmaker do? What more can a real buyer ask? We will see the new Vintage range of Rigbys in the next three months, and especially here on NE. Then people can make informed decisions and when they handle the new range.

As was stated above there is also a London Best range as well. Which is not an off the shelf rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: Dumprat]
      #244868 - 03/04/14 01:28 AM

Quote:

So this means Rigby is back being made in England and not California ? Or am I behind the times?

It should be interesting to see the three models lined up side by side. (Not that I could afford one mind you) To me the early Rigby is the pinnacle of hunting rifle style. Beautiful because of its simplicity.

The John Rigby of London Gunmaker is a UK based gunmaker, owned substantially by Mauser and that group of gunmakers.

The old "California Rigby" is well and truly gone. The brand name was sold to some Texan investors, and then later sold to Mauser.

The actions of the rifles are Mauser Magnum actions. There is a gunmaking facility in the UK owned by Rigby with UK gunmaking staff. I hope we can show you on the NE forums photos and information on the UK gunmaking operations in the future.

BTW some of the original Rigby rifles were simply rebadged Mauser rifles from comments.

I too love the old vintage Rigby rifles and would love to own one or more myself. Their simple and classic styling is exceptional. But per reports, some here on NE recently and in the past, stocks did take a hammering and many failed under the OLD design. I am eager to see the new creation of the Vintage styling and hope it is comparable. The Vintage range will be to a more limited clientele, as I was informed it will have a higher price.

I think constructive comments are listened to and influence decisions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #244884 - 03/04/14 05:22 AM

Now we meed someone to start building a "new" 1930 mannlicher as per original in .375 H&H please
rgds
Mike

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #244907 - 03/04/14 10:40 AM

John

The " Vintage" Model is, I will wager a reacton to the fact they had a wonderful opportunity to do something really special, and simply got it wrong.

Everyone is saying why "didnt you just copy the originals"

All they had to do was COPY the original models, and the hundred or so they have sold would have been five hundred!!!.

I think they get that now.

As for your comments about steel and wood, Ive had my share of 100 year old Rigby rifles, all without broken stocks, and as for the "beefier" barrel than in an original 416….well I doubt you have ever handled one of the original 175 ..or so made, or you would know that is simply BS!……..or marketing talk...if you like.

Yes, I have seen and handled the new one, not a bad rifle by any means, but as their reaction suggests, they didnt do it quite right.

Price…who cares, if you like it buy it

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: paradox_]
      #244915 - 03/04/14 01:09 PM

Re the "beefier" barrel, and marketing talk, yes probably, was just repeating the comments on the phone as the post indicates.

Broken stocks, have read it before, elsewhere about the issue.

I do like the long slim barrels and have no problem with recoil.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the new rifles measure up. I would think we will still see some differences, but we will see. I haven't seen them either, just like you haven't either.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
      #244930 - 03/04/14 04:56 PM

John, et al, excited after reading the positive reports online, I found the new Rigby's at IWA. I was more than a bit disappointed. Bad as I hate to say it, CZ did come to mind. As you and others have pointed out, the .416s appear to be not much more than the Magnum Mauser rebranded. Could be some changes as I didn't have one side by side to compare. However, they did have an original pre-war .416 there to compare and, though 'well broken-in' there was really no comparison as far as handling and feel. I noted the thinner hand grip of the original and the thought did strike me that it might not be as strong as a thicker piece, but the feel to me was worth the risk. Likewise with the longer, thinner barrel. Never heard any complaints from the Old Timers about the .416s being whippy or inaccurate. The original just made you want to pick it up, carry, and shoot it. I don't think I'm being overly nostalgic when I say that, either. We all know some guns just "feel" better. That was the original. All that said, I really do hope the new owners get the details, balance, and "feel" closer to the originals and I hope they sell a boatload. We need Rigby back and we need Rigby right.
I think their concern at this point should be the doubles. I don't think double rifle buyers will be quite so forgiving if a new Rising Bite doesn't have the feel and handling, along with the looks of an original or at least other London Best rifles. That could be advertising damage from which they might never recover. Its a small but well connected (and well heeled) community and the Rigby name has been soiled bad enough to date. I hope they get it right, I think the world could use another Best Maker.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: A10ACN]
      #244933 - 03/04/14 06:30 PM

Two big projects to celebrate Rigby's first visit to the show in Abu Dhabi later this year, Rigby's Elephant gun and Rigby's Falcon Rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#244935 - 03/04/14 06:37 PM

Examining Rigby's 28 bore self opener shotgun in Salzburg.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#244936 - 03/04/14 06:39 PM

John Rigby & Co.
Mauser have put back into production their often copied but never bettered original magnum action complete with it's famous extractor claw and flag safety. This action is being specifically manufactured in Isny, Germany for the new Rigby Big Game rifle. This is a historic moment for both companies and an echo of times past. One hundred years ago, Mauser made actions for Rigby who assembled, finished and proofed the rifles in London. This is exactly the process that is happening today for Rigby's new Big Game rifles. Rigby's new purpose built workshop and showroom is open in London for any enthusiast or customer to visit and see modern history in the making.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#244937 - 03/04/14 06:41 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#244938 - 03/04/14 06:43 PM

April and Selena on the Rigby booth at IWA.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #244948 - 03/04/14 10:36 PM

I have owned an original .275 Rigby and for my huge size 10-1/2 " hands the grip was quite small. That being said ,that Rigby was the most perfectly balanced rifle I had ever shot. I do not know how my rifle would have compared to the ,416 Rigby however as I have never held or owned one. My early Brno ZKK 602 .375 has a similar fit and feel to the .275 Rigby. Mine is the version with the low comb stock .I had a later CZ American Safari .375 and it was quite blocky and uncomfortable to carry and shoulder. I think it is quite good that Rigby has re entered the gun making business again . But only if the quality is equal to the legend .People seem to forget ;Rigby's were working rifles and were not made as collectors fantasy or ego pieces.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #244956 - 04/04/14 01:54 AM

Quote:

Re the "beefier" barrel, and marketing talk, yes probably, was just repeating the comments on the phone as the post indicates.

Broken stocks, have read it before, elsewhere about the issue.

I do like the long slim barrels and have no problem with recoil.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the new rifles measure up. I would think we will still see some differences, but we will see. I haven't seen them either, just like you haven't either.

think this is awesome news..and the fact the are more than a refurbished Merkel is all that much better..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: Ripp]
      #244972 - 04/04/14 06:04 AM

think this is awesome news..and the fact the are more than a refurbished Merkel is all that much better..

Ripp

The truth!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: jvw]
      #245000 - 04/04/14 10:48 AM

So pleasing to see that the shotgun pictured above still has the correct number of triggers...!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #245042 - 04/04/14 10:38 PM

Quote:

I have owned an original .275 Rigby and for my huge size 10-1/2 " hands the grip was quite small. That being said ,that Rigby was the most perfectly balanced rifle I had ever shot. I do not know how my rifle would have compared to the ,416 Rigby however as I have never held or owned one. My early Brno ZKK 602 .375 has a similar fit and feel to the .275 Rigby. Mine is the version with the low comb stock .I had a later CZ American Safari .375 and it was quite blocky and uncomfortable to carry and shoulder. I think it is quite good that Rigby has re entered the gun making business again . But only if the quality is equal to the legend .People seem to forget ;Rigby's were working rifles and were not made as collectors fantasy or ego pieces.

That is true about the Rigby being a working rifle, except for the ones made to a customers specifications.

I have handled an original Rigby in 350Rigby. The rifle came to the shoulder very nicely and put the eye where it was needed for open sights.

I would expect the current stocks to be slightly different, in that, they are made to put the eye where needed for a scope. The rest of the stock and handling needs to be the same as before.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: Rule303]
      #245049 - 05/04/14 12:42 AM

There were worse times with Rigby and the other name British gunmakers: Just a few hours ago at the small spring gunshow at Kassel I refused to buy an original "Rigby" in .275 HV for a mere Euro 750.-, about US $ 1000.-. It is a post-war product, engraved on the barrel with the 1960s -70s King Street address. Built on an ex-military K98 action with a flat "Butterknife" bolt handle, looking much like "Ferlach" to me. Express rear and front sight bases soldered on the barrel. Stock made of plain grade American Black Walnut (juglans nigra). Foreend longer and fatter than on the clasic prewar ones. Mounted with cheap looking P-H tip-off scope mounts and a Jap-made 4x scope. As my homemade 7x57 rifle on a 1912 intermediate action is more elegant and better made, I decided I don't need to spend that money for the Rigby name.
But Rigby was not alone in the 1950s - 70s: I remember two Holland & Holland .375 H&H rifles of that vintage I have seen years go. Though shaped, when viewed from a distance, quite classical, both were of rather so-so workmanship. One was on a P14 Enfield action, the other on an opened up WW2 K98 sniper rifle, the plugged holes of the long sidemount still visible. Both were equipped with light alloy bottom metal that seemed to originate with W. Roell. On One of them the foreend checkering pattern was even cut lopsided, unsymmetrical.

Morten
.275 member

Reged: 24/04/04
Loc: Ås, Norway
      #245142 - 06/04/14 07:26 PM

Quote:

I had the great pleasure to have Marc Newton and Rigby with me to share my Stand at the above mentioned exhibition in Oslo Last weekend. And I must honestly say that it was four very interesting days.

I am very suspicius of coments like yours Fountainblue. First of all you have not seen it yourself, first hand. You even had the chance but the rifle did not even interest you apart from putting it down on the web namedropping others. And you base your oppinions on others. and mostly from a certain french gunmaker who very unprofettionally have said alot of things about this rifle, and as far as I have understood this gunmaker have misunderstood the concept of this rifle entierly. This is the first generation of the Big Game Rifle by Rigby. wich is an entry lever Rifle like the original rifle actually was back in the days. For those who did not want to put down the money for a Double. And for those whoo did not like the look of the Big Game Rifle you can always go for the London best and you can have it at your exact specifications. And even for the 3 times the price this is significantly cheaper than other London Bolt action Rifles.

On the stand we had alot of very keen guests whoo was very happy and excited about the new Rigby. I have exhibitted in norway since 2007 with the best London gunmakers, but the interest I saw like this new Big Game Rigby was outstanding. Now, expencive guns is very hard to sell in Norway as the tradittion for exclusive guns in Norway is very limited. The money is here but not the tradittion. But the interest Rigby had was very very good.

So I think your friend was one of a very very limited numbers who was not happy with this Rifle. I can agree that it is on the heavy side. You can debate the need for this wight is neccecerly due to the fact that in a shooting situation you don'r realy feel the recoil, you carry the gun more than you shoot.

But remember that this rifle was developet in less then a year and it has sold 50% of its production for this year alreadywithin 8 weeks after introduction!!!

After my experiences with Mr Newton last week I am sure he will take notice of the coments around this Rifle and maybee even take this into concideration when the production of the next batch of rifles is too bee set in motion.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: Morten]
      #245167 - 07/04/14 02:50 AM

True that the original "for stock" Rigby bolt guns were sold off the shelf as working rifles but they were made to a standard which would be exceptional in today's market. Very much to the standard of the metal work of the London Best rifle being offered today (engraving and fancy wood not included).
I honestly hope that the new Rigby venture is a success and especially hope that they can produce the rising bite double.
That said, one doesn't actually need to handle a gun to notice that there are shortcomings - the poor fit of the barrel band for example. IMO, you can learn more about how a bolt rifle should be made by getting your hands on some originals. Guns which were built to the standards which were demanded by customers whom actually used them every day and perhaps even bet their lives on the function and reliability of the rifle.
With the exception of the original 425Westley, I have never heared any criticism regarding barrel length of any other classic DG bolt rifle, the 416 Rigby included.
I guess times have changed and the expectations of our guns have evolved as well. My impression is that the 416 was regarded as a good general purpose medium/heavy rifle for open ground hunting and the real dangerous situations were taken up with a heavy double (the 416 being capable of that work if the situation demanded it) whereas today, the 416 is used as an all round DG rifle and likely the most powerful rifle the modern hunting client would own.
So, maybe the new standard 416Rigby is really an evolution of the original designed to the desires of the modern day hunter and it was a mistake for some (myself included) to expect a resurrection of the original rifle.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #245168 - 07/04/14 02:52 AM

i will agree with kudaes point that there have been lower times in the english gun trade ,,many here who are saying that teh new rifle looks and feels like a cz may not remember about 18 years ago when the company was still in england a rigby ordered in 416 was actually built on a cz bottom metal and all ,,they dont get much uglier ,, so i will give my best to marc newton and whoever else is involved it seems that they are on a much better track than where roberts left of in the 90,s ....paul

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: pjaln]
      #245178 - 07/04/14 06:58 AM

I enjoyed reading your post Morten.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Dumprat
.300 member

Reged: 20/02/14
Loc: Vancouver island bc.
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: gryphon]
      #245190 - 07/04/14 03:08 PM

A lot of hate for what would be a very nice addition to anyone's gun cabinet.

I would imagine some of the changes are to accommodate the end user. Heavy barrels would make for a nice shooting experience for old guys who will never carry rifle all day. This is not intended to be rude. But with the current trend among young shooters towards feather light rifles and tactical crap the Rigby will primarily sold to old duffers with deep pockets.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #245199 - 07/04/14 07:42 PM

Morten,

I am the "certain French gun maker" you don't dare call by his name.
Obviously you haven't read or understood correctly my comments.
I have no doubt about the quality or reliability of the gun you praise. I am just disappointed to see that, when you have the production capacity of the Mauser-Blaser-Sauer group, and the availability of the original models, you are not able to design a modern version of the mythic rifle and keep some of the spirit that made its success.
The fans of Rigby were expecting better than a plain update of the Mauser Magnum already made. In spite of your comments, it seems they have been heard, as a more classical version is already in the making.
On another side, this forum is user friendly and constructive critics are welcome as they allow to correct erroneous choices.
Simple craftsman, I do not pretend to compete with the great English houses, but I have always considered that one should pay attention to the remarks of amateurs and use our mistakes as steps to make progress.
As for writing that I acted "unprofessionally", my guess is that you write faster than you think.

Best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: DORLEAC]
      #245201 - 07/04/14 08:58 PM

Joel: Well said. If there is any gunmaker around these days that truly understands concepts, it's Dorleac.... JMHO.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #245207 - 08/04/14 01:14 AM

It's interesting that the aesthetics of the early rigbys are so prized now, especially the .416. When Rigby designed and built the rifles, they probably weren't focused on aesthetics much at all. The same is true of the Mauser action itself. Now, more than 100 years later, we've all come to admire the looks of the action, especially the bolt, as much as the functionality.

I don't know about these efforts to replicate the original Rigbys. Maybe they will prove as futile as trying to reverse engineer a fine wine, or a violin.

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: dons]
      #245209 - 08/04/14 01:41 AM

Bravo!

Morten
.275 member

Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #245236 - 08/04/14 06:11 PM

Dorleac,

Firstly let mee clarify my remark on your unprofettionallity.

Ive seen pictures of your work and this is outstanding and I do not doubdt your craftsmenship as a gunmaker and the quality of you work is as good as any out there and probably better than other highly regarded names. I just get very suspicius to your intentions when you in one post rip this new Rigby to pieces. and in another post at the same time promote your own product. I dont find that very gentlemanly of profettionally. It makes mee doubdt your intention of the posting on the rigby thread. And when mr fountainblue is copy pasting your coments in a norwegian gunforum I have coment this thread when he writes what he does.

regarding the new Rigby big game rifle you said I prise the gun. I like it yes, but it is not impossible to make better. Ive seen it and handle it and one of my remarks is the wight. this is the first generation and everyone who does business know that if you think your product can not bee improoved have lost. And with my four days with mr Newton I can asure you that Rigby will always strive to improve what can bee imroved and to serve the marked.

Im sure when Koenigsegg made his first car he was very satesfied but when you compare this car with the new "ONE" it is two different worlds.

But for what they have managed in just a year in London I take my hat of and I will realy enjoy following them in times to come.

DORLEAC
.333 member

#245245 - 09/04/14 12:30 AM

Morten,

Where have you seen that in the same thread I "rip the Rigby to pieces" and "at the same time I promote my own product"…?
If you take sufficient attention to carefully read the posts I have published it will be hard to find such a "very suspicious intention".
I don't need to promote our work here, I consider that forum as a great family of gun lovers and I have alway welcome the comments from others members.

Best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Fontainebleu
.300 member

#245290 - 09/04/14 06:39 PM

edited.

Edited by Fontainebleu (11/04/14 04:47 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#245291 - 09/04/14 06:52 PM

Quote:

What a load of biased drivel. Then again, you have a vested interest so one could hardly expect otherwise but the lack of class in this post is something else.

I note that out of your posts probably 95% of them are on Dorleac in some form or other.

I would question whether you have a very obvious vested interest ...

Your comments on various threads, calling rifles "pigs" etc really illustrate the behaviour you accuse others of, in the end of your last sentence.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#245292 - 09/04/14 06:55 PM

BTW it is considered very bad form for a gunmaker to criticise another gunmakers works especially in a non-constructive manner.

All it does is encourage a fight between gunmakers.

Of course debates on technical issues, safety matters, constructive comments etc are usually a completely different matter.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Fontainebleu
.300 member

#245293 - 09/04/14 07:00 PM

I am a client of his, but I am in no way affiliated with Mr. Dorleac.
My views are mine and mine alone.

The Big Game Rifle is - as others have put it - a Magnum Mauser rifle with a german/american inspired stock. It has NOTHING to do with the fast-handling rigbys of old other than the name on the barrel - which sadly is something that can be bought these days. Which it has.

Dont get me wrong, its probably a fine rifle. But its no Rigby as we once knew it.
As long as you accept that its a modern-day safari rifle with modern-day handling statistics, then by all means - fine.

Edited by Fontainebleu (11/04/14 04:48 PM)

Fontainebleu
.300 member

#245294 - 09/04/14 07:06 PM

Quote:

BTW it is considered very bad form for a gunmaker to criticise another gunmakers works especially in a non-constructive manner.

All it does is encourage a shit between gunmakers.

If someone is dressing up magnum mauser rifles and selling them as London guns, I see no problem in pointing out the obvious? Americans usually call it as they see it and personally I prefer the refreshing honesty.

If you criticise others you open yourself up to critisism, and critizm in its truest form is the father of innovation.

The Big game rifle have a mass-produced air to it with plenty of cheap solutions and fit/finish not usually seen on London guns - which was a concern when it was announced Blaser/Sauer/Mauser bought the brand and planned on ressurecting the Rigby name.

The concerns were justified it seems and as such I see nothing wrong in pointing that out.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#245296 - 09/04/14 07:17 PM

Again you fail to recognise, this thread is NOTHING to do with the Big Game Rifle model. It was releasing information of the intended new release of the Vintage line. Plus of course the already existing London Best rifles. And hopefully soon we will receive photos of the Rising Bite double rifle actions.

Regarding the posting of Rigby photos, I am interested ij promoting a new revitalised gunmaker brand. Just like I promoted Mark Neil/Bramble on here, you had one of the brands of Rigby at the time. Alex Beer in Tasmania, as a gunmaker. I also post information and photos, on Holland & Holland, Westley Richards, Boss, Mauser, Chapuis, Krieghoff, Merkel, various Ferlach gunmakers, Beretta, even on Blaser! Really the list is endless. Guess they are all "vested interests" ... the only two gunmakers that have provided some financial sponsorship or others have been Heym and Verney-Carron. They are listed as sponsors.

BTW we have encouraged Dorleac posts too, and have been happy for him or others to display his work.

Does that mean NE has vested interests in Dorleac as well? Perhaps he should come on as a sponsor too, I think. NE does cost money to keep going, and only myself and paying sponsors actually pay the bills.

Marc Newton telephoned me to talk about his new rifles and he conveyed his excitement about what they are doing. Yes he had seen both positive and negative posts. I note some of my posts actually compare the Big Game to old Vintage rifles .... but left it up to the viewers to make their own comparisons.

95% of your 154 posts being on a single gunmaker speaks for itself.

You future posts will determine what happens next.

I again stress the following:
Again you fail to recognise, this thread is NOTHING to do with the Big Game Rifle model. It was releasing information of the intended new release of the Vintage line. Plus of course the already existing London Best rifles. And hopefully soon we will receive photos of the Rising Bite double rifle actions.

Members here made comments. It seems the comments were listened to, and as said probably for the third time, a new range may answer peoples wants ie the Vintage model. We will know when we see the new rifles, in photos and/or in person. I certainly don't expect them to be exactly the same, especially in the scope sight age. Again I am excited to see what they will be like.

PS Just as I am excited to see new Mausers, H&Hs, Boss's, WR's, Jeffery's, Blasers, Ferlach etc etc etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (09/04/14 07:26 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#245297 - 09/04/14 07:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

All it does is encourage a shit between gunmakers.

If someone is dressing up magnum mauser rifles and selling them as London guns, I see no problem in pointing out the obvious? Americans usually call it as they see it and personally I prefer the refreshing honesty.

Quote:

Looks like a fat bloated pig compared to the original. The german influence is very visible, reminds me of a tarted up M03!

If you criticise others you open yourself up to critisism, and critizm in its truest form is the father of innovation.

The Big game rifle have a mass-produced air to it with plenty of cheap solutions and fit/finish not usually seen on London guns - which was a concern when it was announced Blaser/Sauer/Mauser bought the brand and planned on ressurecting the Rigby name.

The concerns were justified it seems and as such I see nothing wrong in pointing that out.

You do realise an administrator is giving you very clear and direct comments and hints.....

So a different method is obviously necessary. A "law student" should be able to actually read what has been said to them.

You continue to mis-represent the comments and posts on post after post after post. Repeating the same thing, again, again and again endlessly. Without even directly having handled the Big Game model yourself. And the thread is not even about that model ... lots of other members HAVE actually handled one and commented on an earlier thread about that model and made informed comments ... yet do not need to keep posting again again the same stuff. No one could claim any sort of censorship if one looks seriously at either of the two threads ...

The member is consistently attempting to wreck a thread, has been given a break.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (09/04/14 09:29 PM)

DORLEAC
.333 member

#245322 - 09/04/14 11:00 PM

Nitrox you are absolutely right !
I think that the debate takes a wrong direction and I'm confused at being the source of that deviance.
I don't care about the dispute between our Norwegian friends…
To clarify the things, being fond of the old Rigby's bolt rifles –purely a superb treatment of an Oberndorf made barreled action- that to my eyes represent the epitome of the "Safari rifle of a past gone era, I couldn't be satisfied by the modern Rigby look.
What I wrote about the Mauser-Blaser-Sauer group newly offered rifle is based on cold, close examination and is the result of my own deception.
This reflects my opinion and I never wanted to "rip that rifle to pieces" but to point only some aspects that could have been made right at first without great expense.
I'm certain that the "Vintage" model will correct what appear to my eyes as "deficiencies", and I'm convinced also that the critic comments are for something in the process…
However if my contribution to the forum is inappropriate, please, feel free to let me know, and I will amend.

Thank you.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#245326 - 09/04/14 11:23 PM

Quote:

Nitrox you are absolutely right !
I think that the debate takes a wrong direction and I'm confused at being the source of that deviance.
I don't care about the dispute between our Norwegian friends…
To clarify the things, being fond of the old Rigby's bolt rifles –purely a superb treatment of an Oberndorf made barreled action- that to my eyes represent the epitome of the "Safari rifle of a past gone era, I couldn't be satisfied by the modern Rigby look.
What I wrote about the Mauser-Blaser-Sauer group newly offered rifle is based on cold, close examination and is the result of my own deception.
This reflects my opinion and I never wanted to "rip that rifle to pieces" but to point only some aspects that could have been made right at first without great expense.
I'm certain that the "Vintage" model will correct what appear to my eyes as "deficiencies", and I'm convinced also that the critic comments are for something in the process…
However if my contribution to the forum is inappropriate, please, feel free to let me know, and I will amend.

Thank you.

DORLEAC

Joel,

I was hoping you would not take my comments the wrong way. Sometimes an enthusiastic customer or another person (making a general comment here!) can cause comments which get people offside sometimes due to the wrong perception.

BTW I think I invited our Foutainbleau to post his Dorleac visit photos here. I forget exactly though ... ???

I think everyone enjoys your excellent work. And also enjoys your photos. I too like the cased Rigby .350 vintage rifle you posted on this thread or the other one(?).

Hopefully we get to enjoy more of your custom rifles on NE.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #245367 - 10/04/14 03:16 AM

A request for peace here - all of the gentlemen involved are friends. I do consider Joel a good friend and have been privileged to see many of his magnificent creations. He has always been happy to share his own guns as well as original masterpieces. I have also known him to be very complimentary about other great gunmakers - someone who is close to Steven Dodd-Hughes and Darcy Echols and to the Grainger establishment in France, has to have tremendous standing. As a result, Joel's disappointment with the form of the new Rigby guns is not out of any negative intention, but out of a sadness that the new Rigby owners chose not to follow the company's great historical design traditions. I think this is a view to be respected, as it comes from someone with a demonstrated ability to produce some of the finest bolt action rifles being built today.

My young friend Morten, on the other hand, has also apprenticed with a very prestigious London name. I know of his passion for British guns. We have had many discussions on the current state of gunmaking in the past. As a young man, he clearly enjoys a newer direction, and would like to give Rigby time to get their products right.

I hope we can continue discussing fine guns. And, I sincerely hope that the gentlemen involved here will continue to post regularly. Arguments are fine, as long as we are ready to have a drink and celebrate afterwards. When we meet, I'll be the one buying the drinks.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Re: Rigby - the Good Old Days are Back [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #245506 - 11/04/14 04:56 PM

Some of my comments were somewhat harsh and I have edited a bit.
A request for peace here as well.

Hopefully Rigby will take some of the comments in the best spirit and on board for future development.

Morten
.275 member

#245508 - 11/04/14 06:03 PM

Let me end this so we again can focus on the topic in this thread. Some of the coments I simply could not resist anymore to not answer,

Dorlac, my intetion of unfortunately involve your coments was just to point my view that as fellow tradesmen one need to bee carefull comenting on other brands product. it resoulted in the post beeing spread around on other forums. It is a very difficoult matter posting under your business name and different matter when posting as a private person. As I am somewhat in the business myself I hold back my temtations for posting meny times. I am not saying this is the right way, its my way and my thoughts about it.

I appologise for the resolt of my post ending up in a little argue between us. I doo enjoy the picture you post and your craftsmenship based on these pictures looks superior to meny of the guns ive seen. So please post them. I will enjoy looking, and hopefully one day see one first hand.

I doo also feel the need to stand up and respond to some of the post. I think it is unfair to jugde rigby the way it has been done. In a year after moving to London, thay have managed to produce a new bolt rifle, that has been debated, but it has sold plenty and will make the fundament, that alowes them to create new and updated, like now, the vintage model. They have built a new frontshop and workshop, they have got in the former factory manager from Purdey and Holland and Holland to oversee the production. they have put the Rising Bite double rifle back in production. Al this within a year. I do take my hat of for this. I doo agree to some of the coments regarding the new big game rifle, but when they now introduce the concept of a Vintage model, im sure they wil listen to all coments to make it enjoyable.

DORLEAC
.333 member

#245513 - 11/04/14 07:56 PM

Ok, all is said.
End of game !

Best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#245542 - 12/04/14 01:29 AM

Ahmed577's post moved here:
300 h&h flanged 180 or 220 projectiles ???

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#245545 - 12/04/14 01:33 AM

Will post updates on this or a new thread when they come in.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18702

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com