Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe
      #128084 - 26/02/09 07:49 AM

As always, I am the fortunate recipient of these pictures of the latest treasure in Don S's gunsafe: a mint Fraser takedown rifle that easily rivals the other beauties in his collection. Don would post more information shortly but please enjoy the pictures.

Good hunting, everyone!

Edited by CptCurl (18/05/09 08:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #128085 - 26/02/09 07:51 AM

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Edited by CptCurl (18/05/09 08:36 AM)

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #128094 - 26/02/09 09:24 AM

Thanks Mehul. This Daniel Fraser was built sometime between 1893 and 1913 on a M93 action. Need to take a chamber cast but believe it to be a 303 Fraser rimless "Velox". I've always wanted one of these. WVFRED was kind enough to pass this one along and allow me to be the new caretaker for a while. If anyone has any information as to when this rifle was built (serial # 2902), I would appreciate the input. The silver monogrammed shield in the stock indicates the owner held the title of Earl. The wood to metal fit is unbelievable. Any and all comments are welcome.

WVFRED
.300 member

Reged: 17/01/05
Loc: Charleston WV
Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: dons]
      #128101 - 26/02/09 11:00 AM

Don,
Your photography really shows the detail and just how nice of a rifle this is.
Congratulations and I couldn't think of a better caretaker.

Fred

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: WVFRED]
      #128107 - 26/02/09 12:30 PM

I really love those long lock panels and Alex-Henry forend tip filed into the bufflo horn - or is that a Frazer forend tip? Quite elegant.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: DarylS]
      #128117 - 26/02/09 01:30 PM

nice one , i have a collector friend in new hampshire (full blooded scot)he may have some info on fraser , the only problem is he wont be back from the bahamas till april....paul

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#128120 - 26/02/09 02:06 PM

Don,

I have the following information from a friend who is a leading dealer of fine guns and who wishes to remain anonymous in two separate e-mails. An e-mail to you (from me) follows this post:

Mail No 1:

What a cracking rifle !
Thanks for providing the link.
That`s got to be one of Dan`ls own creations......which dates it to the late 1890s I suppose and, as such, has to be a VERY early take-down.
Can`t remember the old mans date of death but it was c.1900......maybe 1899 or 1901. His sons weren`t in the same league and the business failed not too many years later. Unfortunately the firms records no longer exist......got lost with all the changes of ownership. Now owned by the current Dickson & MacNaughton concern.

Can`t argue with you re Scots gunmakers - as you know I really rate them as they were remarkable innovators. I have one of Daniel Frasers patent hammerless ejector boxlock shotguns - a superb and incredibly rare gun which epitomises the ideal of the American upland game gun.....except that it is a sensible weight and not an 8lb lardarse. Congratulations to Don on his latest acquisition.......something rather different than the `usual` collectible Mauser. Nice that it`s in .303 as well.

Mail No 2:

By the way, I forgot to mention that the initials are under a coronet which means that it was built for an Earl or Duke.
The serial number is pretty close to that on my shotgun ( 2310 ) which we were able to date to c.1896.
Just had a another look at the pictures and have seen that Don has responded........dealing with both points above........................
I refuse to believe that the rifle was built by the junior Frasers......although it`s possible that the old man started the build which was completed by his sons.
The engraving is top class - although appear to be a little worn in places - reminiscent of that on my shotgun. Nice that the scrolls are contained within a Celtic rope border - a Daniel Fraser `signature`. I`ve no idea who the engraver was but he was one of the absolute best and should be easy enough to identify by someone who has the appropriate knowledge.
If the monogram can be identified, remaining family members might have access to records that would identify the delivery date of the rifle......possibly even the commission date.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #128169 - 26/02/09 11:32 PM

don, i,d call dickson & macnaughton of scotland they may have some records or any info ...paul

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: pjaln]
      #128171 - 27/02/09 12:03 AM

What a bloody ripper!

Right down to the engraved trigger....!!

Marvellous rifle, DonS. Hope you're proud of that acquisition!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Anonymous
Unregistered

#128192 - 27/02/09 02:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks Mehul. This Daniel Fraser was built sometime between 1893 and 1913 on a M93 action. Need to take a chamber cast but believe it to be a 303 Fraser rimless "Velox". I've always wanted one of these. WVFRED was kind enough to pass this one along and allow me to be the new caretaker for a while. If anyone has any information as to when this rifle was built (serial # 2902), I would appreciate the input. The silver monogrammed shield in the stock indicates the owner held the title of Earl. The wood to metal fit is unbelievable. Any and all comments are welcome.

I believe the gun was made in 1892 or abouts, and Fraser commonly used a 303 British / 7.7mmx56R .311 bore, there's much confusion on this it seems but every cast I have taken has been the standard British version. Bores will range in size .309 to .318 in some cases. He did make a "303 Fraser rimless" but they are extremely scarce and almost never seen. Also, "Velox" does not stand for rimless, it stands for velocity extra. This rifle is a grade 2, as Fraser made 4 grades.

By the way, your welcome Don.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: pjaln]
      #128193 - 27/02/09 02:58 AM

Quote:

don, i,d call dickson & macnaughton of scotland they may have some records or any info ...paul

They do not have the original records, they are held by a gentlemen in Surrey.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#128194 - 27/02/09 03:00 AM

Quote:

Don,

I have the following information from a friend who is a leading dealer of fine guns and who wishes to remain anonymous in two separate e-mails. An e-mail to you (from me) follows this post:

Mail No 1:

What a cracking rifle !
Thanks for providing the link.
That`s got to be one of Dan`ls own creations......which dates it to the late 1890s I suppose and, as such, has to be a VERY early take-down.
Can`t remember the old mans date of death but it was c.1900......maybe 1899 or 1901. His sons weren`t in the same league and the business failed not too many years later. Unfortunately the firms records no longer exist......got lost with all the changes of ownership. Now owned by the current Dickson & MacNaughton concern.

Can`t argue with you re Scots gunmakers - as you know I really rate them as they were remarkable innovators. I have one of Daniel Frasers patent hammerless ejector boxlock shotguns - a superb and incredibly rare gun which epitomises the ideal of the American upland game gun.....except that it is a sensible weight and not an 8lb lardarse. Congratulations to Don on his latest acquisition.......something rather different than the `usual` collectible Mauser. Nice that it`s in .303 as well.

Mail No 2:

By the way, I forgot to mention that the initials are under a coronet which means that it was built for an Earl or Duke.
The serial number is pretty close to that on my shotgun ( 2310 ) which we were able to date to c.1896.
Just had a another look at the pictures and have seen that Don has responded........dealing with both points above........................
I refuse to believe that the rifle was built by the junior Frasers......although it`s possible that the old man started the build which was completed by his sons.
The engraving is top class - although appear to be a little worn in places - reminiscent of that on my shotgun. Nice that the scrolls are contained within a Celtic rope border - a Daniel Fraser `signature`. I`ve no idea who the engraver was but he was one of the absolute best and should be easy enough to identify by someone who has the appropriate knowledge.
If the monogram can be identified, remaining family members might have access to records that would identify the delivery date of the rifle......possibly even the commission date.

Mehul, I'm afraid much of this information is incorrect.

dons
.333 member

Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: ]
      #128198 - 27/02/09 03:32 AM

Generalwar: The action has been identified as a Spanish Model 1893, so a build date of 1892 puzzles me. The bolt face is machined to accept a rim dia. of .476", and the standard British 303 rimmed has a dia. of .540, so I conclude that it has to be a 303 rimless case. ?????

Anonymous
Unregistered

#128200 - 27/02/09 03:40 AM

Quote:

Generalwar: The action has been identified as a Spanish Model 1893, so a build date of 1892 puzzles me. The bolt face is machined to accept a rim dia. of .476", and the standard British 303 rimmed has a dia. of .540, so I conclude that it has to be a 303 rimless case. ?????

That is weird, then it must be .303 FRASER rimless, if that's the case that is one very rare bolt gun, as he only manufactured less than a couple hundred of those and most were lost in WWI.

If the bore is excellent and wood unscathed, you have yourself a $12,000 to $15,000 item there.

dons
.333 member

#128203 - 27/02/09 04:07 AM

Generalwar: Thank you for that input, it is appreciated. Does your contact in Surrey have anything specific on this particular #2902 rifle? I would still like to resolve the M1893 action / 1892 build date discrepancy.

georgegibbs505
.275 member

Reged: 19/01/07
Loc: WV
      #128206 - 27/02/09 04:31 AM

Dons, try a 7.65 argentine in it, my cased,scoped Fraser is chambered for it and shoots wonderfull with Woodleighs, one day i'll try and post some pictures of it.The rifle has express sights,tang peep and numbered scope in a leather case.it rests fine with it brothers, a 256R dutch mann, cased and another TD.Let me know if the 7.65 works.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#128210 - 27/02/09 05:10 AM

Quote:

Generalwar: Thank you for that input, it is appreciated. Does your contact in Surrey have anything specific on this particular #2902 rifle? I would still like to resolve the M1893 action / 1892 build date discrepancy.

I will contact him and ask.

I will also contact George Neary who at one time had the largest collection of Fraser rifles in the world.

dons
.333 member

Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: georgegibbs505]
      #128212 - 27/02/09 05:20 AM

georgegibbs: Is the caliber marked anywhere on your rifle?

GSP7
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/06
Loc: Ca./idaho
      #128213 - 27/02/09 05:22 AM

Nice Don, Interesting work on the trigger guard. Is that just all file work? Looks like a screw in front but the rear is as one unit.

What kind of safety or modification to the safety? Cant see it very well in the pictures

Rick B.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Don S Adds a a Fraser Takedown to his Gun Safe [Re: GSP7]
      #128220 - 27/02/09 06:25 AM

I spoke with George, he said that serial range could have been made later than 1892 but not after 1894. He also agreed that not many survived in this calibre, and that is one very nice rifle.

We'll see what James has to say about the ledgers..

dons
.333 member

#128225 - 27/02/09 06:57 AM

generalwar: Great, now the time frames are coming together. The build date has narrowed down to 1893-94.

Rick: The trigger guard and mounting plate are one piece and hand formed. The safety lever is a special shape with "SAFE" cast into it, but operates the same as the M93 original. Will try to get a photo up.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #128239 - 27/02/09 11:00 AM

Beautiful rifle....Congrats!!

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#128260 - 27/02/09 02:08 PM

Posting two more pics for Don:

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Edited by CptCurl (18/05/09 08:37 AM)

GSP7
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/06
Loc: Ca./idaho
      #128302 - 28/02/09 02:51 AM

Thanks for the safety photo

Rick B

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
      #128408 - 01/03/09 06:55 AM

A great little Fraser! DonS and I corresponded on this before he got it in. I don't have mine in hand (hopefully later this month!), but it's right along the same lines as my own, except mine is Fraser/Davidson scoped. For those unfamiliar with Frasers, note the little details, such as the forend tip treatment, the inlet sling attachment, the trim stock shape that is reinforced without becoming clunky, the svelte Fraser cheekpiece, the subtle shaping of the bottom metal, the broad checkered horn butt plate (can't tell if it has the Fraser style spacer), and the super clean Scottish bordered and scrolled engraving.
I heard a lot of the same banter regarding the action and chambering of my own rifle. I don't have all my books but best I recall, the 303 Fraser Rimless is essentially a Mauser case with a Fraser designed 303 bullet. This gives it the smooth feed in the straight pre-98, non-slant box, magazines and the trusted performance of the 303 bullet both on game and the range. I don't remember the specific type of rifling on Frasers but recall that he spent a lot of time developing his own bullets.
I'll scratch around and see if I can turn up some pics of mine for comparison, if not, I'll try to get some when I finally get out of here in March.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15776

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com