Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stock Refinish

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Lawman
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/07
Loc: Texas, USA
Stock Refinish
      #351330 - 12/03/21 01:54 AM

I would like to get a consensus on refinishing the stock of my 1903.
The bluing in about 90% and is I believe, original.
I would like to have the stock refinished and the checkering cleaned up.
After a 100 years the wood is in pretty rough shape, I would estimate condition at 60%.
I do hunt with it and my "collection" of MS is the 1903 and a 1961 MCA.
I know there must be threads on this but I have been unable to locate them.
In the past I have always felt It's mine and my decision to make but, I don't want got destroy the collectibility.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for input.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: Lawman]
      #351333 - 12/03/21 03:53 AM

Quote:

I would like to get a consensus on refinishing the stock of my 1903...

I would like to have the stock refinished and the checkering cleaned up... I don't want got destroy the collectibility.
Thoughts?

Have you considered a replacement stock?

Likely a more costly option, but if you were to fit a new stock to the ol' MS the original could be preserved just as it is (able to re assemble if desired) while having a more suitable stock for continued use.

One could even have the new stock built to suit regarding length of pull and cast.

This may border on MS blasphemy, but I've long wondered how a tastefully done laminate or even synthetic stock would work out on a Mannlicher Schoenauer.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Malpais6
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/16
Loc: yukon oklahoma usa
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #351341 - 12/03/21 06:54 AM

I have thought the same thing. My 1903 is in really excellent shape, almost too good to hunt with it. I would like a synthetic to make it lightweight and weather resistant. I think a laminate would make it too heavy. We may be in a minority on this topic.

Bob

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: Malpais6]
      #351343 - 12/03/21 07:36 AM

Lawman,
Another viewpoint to consider is that "if" it were a British retailed (don't know about German, Austrian, French), owned, & maintained MS it would have more than likely been "refreshed" in it's working lifetime. (unless of course it never left the African/Indian Colonies)
Stocks re-oiled, checkering picked up, worn bluing looked after, etc.
Some often used sporting arms would go back to a gunmaker annually after the seasons closed for cleaning, repair, and storage.

Not like the custom here in the US of NEVER restoring/refreshing an original antique Winchester or Colt......different society and different culture.

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: 3DogMike]
      #351345 - 12/03/21 08:38 AM

Lawman

Midway over your side of the pond - unfortunately discontinued (Bell & Carson)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006748841

It might be a suggestion to directly contact Bell & Carson anyway, they might have one lying around even if discontinued stock
https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=33

Boyds - laminate stock, in reality it wouldn't be that much heavier than the walnut stock you already have, not unless you're climbing mountains or have some physical limitation or you're are getting towards the end of your hunt career then the extra weight shouldn't bother a younger reasonably fit man.
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/plat-springfield-1903a3-mbc-4a2841v43zz

McMillian - give them a call it appears they can modify stocks to suit an action
https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/game-warden/

This was only a quick search, others will undoubtedly chime in about this (Ripp here is a big synthetic stock fan) ,there could possibly be a smaller niche synthetic stock maker out there that does only small runs or one of type jobs - if you really decide to go this route.

To me I would get any type of replacement stock available first up if I was super concerned about damaging the original stock & it was going on a hard hunt very soon that would most probably damage it, at least you have peace of mind.

Additionally we do have some good articles concerning refinishing stocks in the archives squirrelled away, should you want to do the refinish/refreshing on your own stock. - but be beware it is addictive stuff when you start reading!

finally
I would be tempted to give Aaron Little a gunsmith here at NE a PM, he would give you solid advice after he picked your brains about what you really want your Springfield to look like; perhaps even to the point of just 'refreshing' your stock so it still looks like in its original form.
If possible post some photos if you can of you old '03, to see one of these stocks done up would make a great piece here as there is always something 'new' like this popping up to see what fellow enthusiast come up with or most probably already done!
Really looking forward to see what you do with the original stock (& its replacement of course)
Cheers
93x64mm

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: 93x64mm]
      #351349 - 12/03/21 10:15 AM

Laminates tent to be heavier than walnut, due to the use of heavier density wood than walnut as well as the epoxy being heavier than wood. This has been my observation, however it is possible to have an exceptionally dense piece of walnut, I guess, like Bastogne.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Lawman
.275 member

Re: Stock Refinish [Re: DarylS]
      #351350 - 12/03/21 11:12 AM

Some interesting options proposed, but I think a replacement stock would likely cost me a goodly portion of the gun's value.
Austrian 1903 Stutzen, Double Set Trigger, Paul Jaeger Scope Mount, Lyman 36 site. I use it three or four times a year, hunting from a blind. At 76 years of age I'm not doing too much spot and stalk hunting.
As far as laminated or synthetic stocks go I'm enough of a traditionalist to eliminate those choices, as practical as they may be. I do have modern rifles in stainless and steel for inclement weather, so that his not an issue.
I do appreciate the beautiful examples of pristine MS rifles and carbines I see on the forum. and would like mine to look similar.
The conundrum I guess is having my cake and eartng it too.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351351 - 12/03/21 11:43 AM

Quote:

...This was only a quick search, ...about what you really want your Springfield to look like...

Lawman's 1903 is an M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer stutzen, not an '03 Springfield.

A 'sporter' stock for a Y1903 ('Greek') Mannlicher would fit, but I was thinking of a stock along the lines of the original, yet of a more resilient material and perhaps with reinforced wrist.

With CNC and advances in 3D printing, all should be feasible if not presently cost effective.

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #351353 - 12/03/21 12:01 PM

Hello Lawman

My personal take is only refinish if the stock is very degraded, particularly if the bumps and bruises are honestly come by in the " course of battle"
In the case of damage there may be no option.
The scars will remind you of the rifles history when you take it afield.
The option of a replacemenr stock whilst preserving the old is also good advice.

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351354 - 12/03/21 12:04 PM

Quote:

The conundrum I guess is having my cake and eartng it too.

Tough spot.

Perhaps it's best to leave the stock as is. The years of honest wear are part of the MS' history and character.

Once 'restored', it can never be made 'original' again.

--------------------

Lawman
.275 member

#351361 - 12/03/21 04:35 PM

I think I’ll leave it original.
If I’m lucky enough to make it to 100 hope I function and look half as well.
Thanks to all.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #351365 - 12/03/21 07:28 PM

Lawman
Photos would help. In any case, unless the wood is badly split at a "strategic" part such as around the pistol grip, which is apparently not the case, I would have the stock professionally refinished i.e. wood cleaning, dings & dongs repaired, checkering refreshed and new oil polish. If your existing stock is in good working condition, having a new bespoke stock made won't IMHO make any sense unless, for example, you would require a longer length of pull, and the cost for this new made-to-measure stock would exceed the rifle's value.
The (lucky) owner of a classic Ford Mustang with dented bodywork and paint in poor condition would have the car restored to its former glory so why not offering that "face lifting" to your faithful M.1903?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: Louis]
      #351369 - 13/03/21 01:53 AM

Quote:

Lawman
Photos would help. In any.....(snip)........
The (lucky) owner of a classic Ford Mustang with dented bodywork and paint in poor condition would have the car restored to its former glory so why not offering that "face lifting" to your faithful M.1903?
Louis

Louis,
Excellent analogy and I would concur with your thoughts.
That said, on a nice collectable vintage piece I would not have a stock restoration done by just any old gunsmith. Best done by a craftsman familiar with doing “sympathetic” restoration or refresh on classics.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Lawman
.275 member

Re: Stock Refinish [Re: 3DogMike]
      #351370 - 13/03/21 02:04 AM

I'll dig out the DSLR and shoot some photos.

Lawman
.275 member

#351372 - 13/03/21 03:17 AM

https://imgur.com/a/TEfWnv9

Proofed in 1920, 100 years of honorable scars.
Hope I function as well and look as good if I'm lucky enough to make it to 100.

Edited by Lawman (13/03/21 03:58 AM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #351377 - 13/03/21 10:24 AM

Lawman - nice photo.
Only one lovey side shot of the action & scope before all these stupid ads come in.
As to getting to 100 & still looking as good, well you may look a bit worse for wear by then than your '03 - but I hope you do!

Edited by 93x64mm (13/03/21 10:26 AM)

Lawman
.275 member

#351382 - 14/03/21 05:51 AM

Thank you. I only posted one photo. IMGUR is not as good or easy to use, as photo bucket was.
I may elect to go back to pb and pay the fee.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #351396 - 15/03/21 02:35 PM

Quote:

Lawman
Photos would help. In any case, unless the wood is badly split at a "strategic" part such as around the pistol grip, which is apparently not the case, I would have the stock professionally refinished i.e. wood cleaning, dings & dongs repaired, checkering refreshed and new oil polish. If your existing stock is in good working condition, having a new bespoke stock made won't IMHO make any sense unless, for example, you would require a longer length of pull, and the cost for this new made-to-measure stock would exceed the rifle's value.
Louis

I agree with Louis.

We often rave about the wonderful restorations and recreations of Joel Dorleac. And rightfully so. Such a rifle as yours might turn out into another masterpiece with a master such as Joel working on it.

I personally would be happy to leave and use the rifle as is. And probably would leave it as is.

OR have it restored by a master as well.

It is your rifle. And unless a particularly rare and hard to find example of the model and make, I don't see an issue if restored in a sympathetic manner. I don't see the need at all for a new stock so the old dented one is not retouched.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (15/03/21 10:08 PM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351401 - 15/03/21 06:28 PM

Quote:

https://imgur.com/a/TEfWnv9

Proofed in 1920, 100 years of honorable scars.
Hope I function as well and look as good if I'm lucky enough to make it to 100.

Nice Lyman 36, as well.

--------------------

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: NitroX]
      #351403 - 15/03/21 07:58 PM

Quote:

I personally would be happy to leave and use the rifle as is. And probably would leave it as is.

ditto

Edited by NitroX (15/03/21 10:09 PM)

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/20
Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: 93mouse]
      #351409 - 15/03/21 11:02 PM

Hallo Lawman
this topic can become a personal preference... Decide what you want the rifle to look like? To me a rifle must bring a smile to my face every time i take it out of the safe, or handle it...
As a collector and preserver of all things 100 years old myself, I tend to prefer a delicate restoration! Like John said, we all drool over the work that Joel Dorleac is doing!! There is a certain satisfaction to myself personally after a nice resto! I have done a few stock restoration over the years, and 2 on MS rifles, inc a 1903 take down model. The old stock was not nice to look at anymore! Had so much old oil that had penetrated over the years, that almost no grain could be seen... now the wood is alive, and the rifle is a joy to me!
Will try and post some photos. I have started a thread a while back.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=347656&an=0&page=1#Post347656

Enjoy your MS!

--------------------
"the real Africa is still out there... you just need to know where to find it"

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/20
Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: Vintage_Canvas]
      #351410 - 15/03/21 11:08 PM

Just another point, to me personally a replacement stock be it in synthetic material or wood, other than quality walnut, will not look great on a MS rifle, and will not do justice to these amazing rifles!!
Just my 10 cents

--------------------
"the real Africa is still out there... you just need to know where to find it"

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Stock Refinish [Re: Vintage_Canvas]
      #351454 - 17/03/21 04:45 AM

Quote:

Just another point, to me personally a replacement stock be it in synthetic material or wood, other than quality walnut, will not look great on a MS rifle, and will not do justice to these amazing rifles!!
Just my 10 cents

That would be the challenge - to make a synthetic stock look balanced and 'proper'.

For a smith with a few Y1903 'sporter projects' laying about it may be an interesting endeavor.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351475 - 17/03/21 05:51 PM

Does anyone actually make off the shelf stutzen MS stocks? I have never found any?

My cut back Greek mil MS stutzem to do properly would cost several times a 6.5 out of Austria in good nick.

I might consider a cheaper than bespoke stutzen carbine stock however to tart it up a bit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/03/21 12:47 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Stock Refinish [Re: NitroX]
      #351477 - 17/03/21 08:44 PM

NitroX, what in this case means "student" ? I have noticed that Hatcher´s make raw stocks to Mannlicher Schönauer.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Stock Refinish [Re: Igorrock]
      #351510 - 18/03/21 12:39 PM

Autocoŕect - stutzen. Full length stock.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2827

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com