Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: British Mannlichers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
British Mannlichers
      #351224 - 08/03/21 09:12 AM

I’m having a tough time tracking down much of any information relating to the various British proofed (1903 and up) rifles I’ve seen. I started trending the various retailers and maker’s names I’ve seen on them, but it didn’t help much. Was there a primary agent(s) involved in their importation or were they simply ordered by the various firms? This whole question stems from a 1903 takedown project rifle I picked up that does not have any name on the barrel or otherwise. While many of these seem to carry the standard M-S sights, some seem to have express sights and this particular one has a three leaf folding sight that I haven’t been able to observe on any others, both sight bases look very typical of Rigby styling etc. While I’m trying to figure out this particular rifle, I am also just curious about a more in-depth understanding of British M-S’s in general. Thanks for any insight.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: British Mannlichers [Re: themauserkid]
      #351226 - 08/03/21 11:59 AM

Well.......here's two:
- Gibbs imported, upgraded, and retailed......possibly also sold to the trade.
- Le Personne imported and sold to the trade.
- Mike

A 1903MS by W.J. Jeffery that was supplied by Le Personne then built for Jeffery by Taylor

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #351236 - 09/03/21 12:17 AM

Quote:

...This whole question stems from a 1903 takedown project rifle I picked up that does not have any name on the barrel or otherwise. ... I am also just curious about a more in-depth understanding of British M-S’s in general. Thanks for any insight.

From information that I have gathered over time and images viewed, I believe the majority of M1903, M1905, M1908, and M1910 Steyr built Take Down Models were sold 'through the British trade', many of them with fitted travel cases, yet without a retailer's name engraved on them.

The Steyr factory built takedown system was very similar to that used by Westley Richards, as on this WR Mauser in 1912 advert:

Many authors and sellers have long referred to them as the 'British Take Down Mannlicher' with some insisting that they were 'converted' in England. To confuse matters there were, indeed, conversions done in the land of Big Ben; often of the interrupted screw type (break open) and which often do have a retailer's mark.

The Steyr built MS Take Down Model worked thusly, as described in the 1939 Stoeger catalog:

My own M1910 Take Down Model, proofed 1922, bears no retailer's mark. It does have the British added proofs and stampings typical of MS takedowns of the period such as bullet weight, diameter, and maximum Cordite load. It has a fitted case that has long since lost its inner lid label and was purchased 'second hand' by my grandfather in the British colony of Ceylon in 1930 or 31.

An image swiped from the 'net, detail of an M1905 Take Down Model:

Steyr built MS Take Down Model in 'Army and Navy' (retailer) labeled case:

It seems the market for take down models was primarily to steamship travelers and 'Great White Hunters' or those who fancied themselves so.

M1910 Take Down Model afield.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: British Mannlichers [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #351237 - 09/03/21 01:16 AM

While you're at it, here's something to ponder:

Reading through the 1939 Stoeger MS pages would give one the impression that the Take Down Model was available (to U.S. buyers of 1938 - 39) by special order as a $15 USD 'cost option' applied to any model then available - or at least it doesn't indicate that it couldn't be:

Takedown model extra........ $15.00

Stoeger did not list models in the same manner as Steyr, they listed them as 'Carbine', 'High Velocity Rifle', and 'Take Down Model'

The 6.5X54 (M1903), 9X56 (M1905), 8X56 (M1908) and 9.5X57 (M1910) were listed as 'Carbine', along with .30-'06 (M1924) and 7X57 offerings.

'High Velocity Rifle' listings also include .30-'06 and 7X57 with added 8X60, 9.3X62, and the elusive 10.75X68, all of which are now referred to by many collectors as 'M1925' (though Steyr apparently never did).

That said, the options list allows custom order of "stock specifications differing from standard", "Full stock in rifles which normally have half stock", "Extra long barrel", single or double set trigger or the Take Down option, so it was a veritable free for all.

So, as I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen an M1924 in the Steyr 'factory' Take Down Model, and I'm fairly certain I've never seen an 'M1925' takedown, were they made on models later than M1910?

I suspect that, in reality, Steyr Take Down Models were not made for the longer action M1924 and subsequent models and am sure they were not made after WW2.

Of the previous models, however, did Steyr build any Take Downs during the 1938 - 45 Anschluss? What is the most recent proof date of any Steyr built MS Take Down Model that can be verified?

Inquiring minds, and such... .

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

themauserkid
.275 member

#351238 - 09/03/21 03:57 AM

Thank you for the input and information Gentleman. That helps a lot knowing some of your observations, these takedowns have become a favorite of mine. I haven’t seen one past a 1910 either so that’s an interesting question. But like you say, if the option could be custom ordered then it might show up at random, and it would be neat to see an example proofed at a late date. I was looking over a friend’s spare parts the other day and I noticed one takedown trigger guard with an engraved serial on it just forward of the screw hole and perpendicular to it, I presume this is probably another English one, I wonder if that numbering style is characteristic of anyone? I’ll take some pictures of the sights on my project when I get home l.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351239 - 09/03/21 04:39 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the input and information Gentleman.

Here's a bit more... .

Stoeger, 1927 - Take Down option was + $20, $5 more than in 1939.
Note the 'High Velocity' ('M1925') were not yet offered:

Sights, from 1936 Steyr katalog:

1939:

More British proofs:

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #351243 - 09/03/21 05:12 AM

https://auctions.springer-vienna.com/en/...p;currentpos=94

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: British Mannlichers [Re: grandveneur]
      #351244 - 09/03/21 05:28 AM

From Dorleac: https://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/arme/army-navy-1910-take-down-rifle-2/?lang=en

Excerpted from description:

"Exceptional first year of manufacture Mannlicher-Schönauer mod. 1910 rifle delivered by Österreichischen Waffenfabrik-Gesellschaft Steyr to the Army & Navy Co-operative Society, Ltd.

It's the first export model for the English market... The rifle is built in the so-called "take-down" version or more precisely "detachable stock", an ingenious disassembly system that has the advantage of retaining the original headspace while reducing the length of the assembly to that of the stock. This system was immediately adopted by Westley-Richards in 1912 and then by H&H, which used it continuously from the 1920s to the present day."

Grand Dad's M1910 TD also has the grip cap storage with spare sight bead as well as the 'special folding peep sight', which this one does not. I find the rebated front sights to be rather interesting. They seem to be more prevalent on earlier, British proofed, MS than on others. Mine does not have the rebated sight and may be an 'Army and Navy' as the case is identical to the blocks and hardware.

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351246 - 09/03/21 07:00 AM

The Army & Navy Co Operative Society: https://universityofglasgowlibrary.wordp...iety-ltd-25417/

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/last-post-for-army-navy-store-6961348.html

This looks interesting: https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/Media_67061_smxx.pdf

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351248 - 09/03/21 09:35 AM

Quote:

I’ll take some pictures of the sights on my project when I get home

Here are MauserKid's images:

--------------------

themauserkid
.275 member

#351251 - 09/03/21 10:18 AM

Thank you for your assistance sir, not sure why the clarity came out so poor, I’ll give that photo host a try. Today was actually the first time I broke it down since I got it, and I was surprised, but I don’t see any Austrian proofing!

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351253 - 09/03/21 10:40 AM

Quote:

I don’t see any Austrian proofing!

Nothing like these?:

--------------------

themauserkid
.275 member

#351256 - 09/03/21 12:25 PM

Nope! None at all, I am so confused now.

themauserkid
.275 member

#351257 - 09/03/21 01:31 PM

Okay I took it apart for a closer look and pictures, all the typical proof house marks are NOT there, but there is a tiny circle V on the bottom of the barrel shank. In this context, I wonder if that is used as a provisional proof of sorts before being sold into the trade? Both the barrel and receiver feature the Tiegelgussstahl marking as well, which I can’t recall seeing on a M-S before.

Edited by themauserkid (09/03/21 01:32 PM)

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #351259 - 09/03/21 09:43 PM

OMG, not Grandad...again ( emoji shaking his head)

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: British Mannlichers [Re: paradox_]
      #351261 - 09/03/21 10:44 PM

The old Austro – Hungarian proof law was to protect the domestic market of that empire only. All guns to be sold within the empire had to pass an Austrian proofhouse, regardless of having been already proofed somewhere else. There was no mutual acceptance of foreign proofs. So Austrian guns made for export were most often not proofed in Austria, as they had to be proofed elsewhere anyhow.Many Weipert, Bohemia, then A-H, sporting guns Show no Weipert proofhouse marks. They were carried across the border (just a few hundred yards) and proofed by the German Zella-Mehlis proofhouse. Military firearms were not civilian proofed. The Steyr factory sold many such military production Mannlichers and Mannlicher – Schoenauers through Belgian and British international arms dealers like Le Personne to anyone asking. Most pre-WW1 British Mannlichers and Mannlicher – Schoenauers I have seen started life as such military rifles, sporterised to several grades, resighted and restocked by British gunmakers like George Gibbs in Bristol or the Birmingham guntrade.
Afaik those circle-T and circle-V marks are Steyr factory internal quality control marks, found on all export military rifles. The explanation “Tiegelgusstahl” is sort of an urban legend.
BTW, there is an easy way to distinguish a civilian Mannlicher - Schoenauer receiver from a military production one, apart from inscriptions: The commercial ones have a bolt hold down spring mounted in the right side of the receiver ring, just behind the bolt handle. Military production receivers lack this device.

themauserkid
.275 member

Re: British Mannlichers [Re: kuduae]
      #351263 - 10/03/21 02:24 AM

Thanks for the insight Axel, great info, this one indeed has the commercial spring on the right receiver.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351264 - 10/03/21 03:02 AM

Quote:

OMG, not Grandad...again ( emoji shaking his head)

That's the guy... .

Haven't you a half dozen or so British proofed MS Take Down Models about which you could provide information?

(emoji being smartass)

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#351272 - 10/03/21 09:54 AM

Rothhammer

Im not wanting to start a war here.
I may well be alone here. However Im getting just a little tired of your same regurgitated pictures...in particular that of your purported grandfather and his Leopard.
It is no doubt a wonderful photo, in fact I have intentions of asking you if I might use it in an article Im writing.

I understand new members may not have seen it, however how about just referring them to one of your muliple links containing the photo, if you want them to view it.

Indeed I do have a number of Mannlichers with British provenance, and members are most welcome to enjoy them via the achvive system that John has created and maintains so well
Lastley those examples are in my personal collection and owned by me. I rarely post for the sake of posting, and when I do its hopefully interesting and original material.
Anyone can lift pictures off the internet and you have done a great job in bringing to our attention the phleroa of information contained in the Stoeger catalogue...thank you.

Speaking of original material. I note from other forums that you are in pocessions of this rifle.
So, when might we expect to see actual pictures of the rifle?

Take care of yourself

Eric

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

#351273 - 10/03/21 10:00 AM

Geez......a bit grumpy aren't we.........guessing need a bigger sandbox.
Not had your morning coffee yet?
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351274 - 10/03/21 10:03 AM

Quote:

Rothhammer

I may well be alone here. However Im getting just a little tired of your same regurgitated pictures...in particular that of your purported grandfather and his Leopard.
It is no doubt a wonderful photo, in fact I have intentions of asking you if I might use it in an article Im writing.

"Purported grandfather"?

Way to schmooze a guy up, eh?

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351275 - 10/03/21 10:30 AM

I'm glad Kuduae weighed in, as he has far more depth and breadth of knowledge on these matters than I.

As he indicated, some military MS (Y1903) made their way to gunmakers (some say as bare actions, others that Steyr sold only complete weapons) who altered and customized them. Included were 'bespoke' makers such as Gibbs, Westley Richards, etcetera. These arms lack Austrian proofs.

Usually, my first thought of a non military 6.5X54 MS without Austrian proofs would be of a 'Sporterized' surplus arm or a 'Greek' which was reconfigured by a custom gunmaker when new.

The OP's receiver, however, is in (factory?) take down configuration and has the bolt hold down spring as detailed by Kuduae.

Most or all of the Steyr factory built Take Down rifles of which I have seen descriptions and / or images have borne both Austrian and British proofs as does my own M1910.

It seems that with the Mannlicher Schoenauer there are few 'hard rules', and that anomalies exist.

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#351277 - 10/03/21 11:06 AM

Rothhammer, well put.

Your own 1910, are we going to pictures of your Grandfathers 1910...yes or no

--------------------

themauserkid
.275 member

#351278 - 10/03/21 11:20 AM

This is the first takedown I’ve had so I’m not super familiar with comparing factory work against a converted takedown. You can tell the rear screw hole was filled in and filed flush if you look closely, not sure if this is how the factory did this or not. I got this from a friend of mine who’s on the board of the MCA, I’ll compare it against his 1910 takedown next time I’m over.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351280 - 10/03/21 12:25 PM

Quote:

Rothhammer, well put.

Your own 1910, are we going to pictures of your Grandfathers 1910...yes or no

My own M1910 was formerly his - they are one and the same.

I actually haven't taken any photos of the rifle, myself. I suppose someday I will, but I know what it looks like.

For posting, photographs of my / his cased M1910 Take Down Model would look nearly identical to those of many others as it is rather typical.

It bears Austrian proofs dated 1922 as well as the usual British proofs / load info found on 'factory' MS TD's. It has the 'special folding peep sight' option as well as removable grip cap, neither of which are unusual alone nor in combination with one another. The case lacks its inner label. The claw mounted Gerard B it wears is also not unique.

Again, I suppose someday I'll photograph it or have it done, but to me it looks far more interesting held afield by dear ol' (purported) Grand Dad.

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351284 - 10/03/21 02:09 PM

Quote:

This is the first takedown I’ve had so I’m not super familiar with comparing factory work against a converted takedown. You can tell the rear screw hole was filled in and filed flush if you look closely, not sure if this is how the factory did this or not. I got this from a friend of mine who’s on the board of the MCA, I’ll compare it against his 1910 takedown next time I’m over.

Have you any photos of the receiver (from all angles) and filled in hole?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: British Mannlichers [Re: 3DogMike]
      #351295 - 11/03/21 02:25 AM

Quote:

Geez......a bit grumpy aren't we.........guessing need a bigger sandbox.
Not had your morning coffee yet?
- Mike

Quote:

Rothhammer

I understand new members may not have seen it, however how about just referring them to one of your muliple links containing the photo, if you want them to view it.

Indeed I do have a number of Mannlichers with British provenance, and members are most welcome to enjoy them via the achvive system that John has created and maintains so well
Lastley those examples are in my personal collection and owned by me. I rarely post for the sake of posting, and when I do its hopefully interesting and original material.
Anyone can lift pictures off the internet and you have done a great job in bringing to our attention the phleroa of information contained in the Stoeger catalogue...thank you.

Speaking of original material. I note from other forums that you are in pocessions of this rifle.
So, when might we expect to see actual pictures of the rifle?

Take care of yourself

Eric

I typed something else, then decided I didn't want to start a war, and get in between. Ha ha, there is a saying about there sorts of "... but ..." comments.

Firstly I see the thread opener has thanked the poster for his inputs. That says it all.

I have no problems in seeing Rothammer's Granddad's photos and the other images whenever relevant. He no doubt is proud of his GD's hunting career. I would be, mine shot foxes and rabbits! Not leopards and similar.

Eric, just scroll on past of stuff that bores you.

But please DO post some of that material you allude to. Material, images and good information make the forums better and more interesting. Yes anything on the net anywhere WILL get copied and pasted, tag it so at least the tag remains OR they have to edit the image to remove the tag. Bastards. Ha ha, I remember searching for Mannlicher images, finding some on a "african forum" which tags everything on their forum, and THEN finding out all of those images came from NE's own archives, pinched by someone to report over there ...

So it goes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: British Mannlichers [Re: NitroX]
      #351310 - 11/03/21 08:38 AM

Quote:

Bastards. Ha ha, I remember searching for Mannlicher images, finding some on a "african forum" which tags everything on their forum, and THEN finding out all of those images came from NE's own archives, pinched by someone to report over there ...

So it goes.

We shan't mention whom... :

That particular 'site does do that, which sticks in my craw a bit, as well.

I pilfer images from the 'net on a regular basis to inform myself and for use to illustrate posts. As John said, once posted they're 'out there'. I don't agree with watermarking another's images, however, particularly without consent. They never asked me (I suppose it could be somewhere in 'fine print' of their policies - haven't checked).

For any whose images I have used who take umbrage, I do apologize. It would be more conscientious of me to caption each with attribution of source.

That said, I do not post for profit, merely to inform and to freely exchange information. These boards would get boring pretty durned quick if they only contained our own images limited to our own firearms and information that we already know.

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#351312 - 11/03/21 10:42 AM

Thanks Brian

I have a fullwood 1910 proofed around that time, whats your serial number, they might be close

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#351313 - 11/03/21 12:05 PM

Hello John

Thank you for the input.
I come here, as do we all to share and learn on a range of subjects. The one in this discussion is Mannlicher Rifles.

You ask that I just scroll past stuff that bores me. The problem here is that Brian pretty much highjacks the thread with all the same old regurgitated pictures making it difficult to filter the new and relevant information.
For me Mannlicher threads are now just full of Brians "white picture noise". I know of at least two members that no longer follow or contribute for this very reason.
You say " where relevant". Very often the picture in question is not relevant to the thread, as in fact is most of the other material.

Brian himself has just stated , and I quote " These Boards would get boring pretty durned quick if they only contained our own images limited to our own firearms and information that we already know"... and yet that what he does regularly is throw up the same old stuff.

Brian , you have a great opportunity to start a Thread on Grandads 1910. However when asked to put up some actually pictures of the rifle that you tease us with in the Leopard picture ( constantly) you seem relunctant stating that because its un remarkable members would find it boring. None are boring, all are different in some way Im know many of us would love to see it.
I for one have never seen a Gerad B scope... for example.

While considering that why dont you create some threads showing us your own Mannlichers, including Grandads?? That would save you a lot of time trolling the internet for pictures and information that is already out there, as well as showing us something new and different.
If Grandads rifle were mine I couldnt wait to show everyone.
Nothing gets my attention more than a member who has something new with a " look what Ive got " post.
So, what do you say Brian, hope on smart phone and take pics for us.

Best
Eric

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351315 - 11/03/21 12:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks Brian

I have a fullwood 1910 proofed around that time, whats your serial number, they might be close

The Take Down rifles may or may not have their own serial number range, I don't know.

My M1910 'factory' Take Down Model bears the serial number 7162 and a Vienna proof number of 1571.22.

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351316 - 11/03/21 01:15 PM

Quote:

For me Mannlicher threads are now just full of Brians "white picture noise"...

You say " where relevant". Very often the picture in question is not relevant to the thread, as in fact is most of the other material.

While considering that why dont you create some threads showing us your own Mannlichers, including Grandads?? That would save you a lot of time trolling the internet for pictures and information that is already out there, as well as showing us something new and different.
If Grandads rifle were mine I couldnt wait to show everyone.
Nothing gets my attention more than a member who has something new with a " look what Ive got " post.
So, what do you say Brian, hope on smart phone and take pics for us.

Best
Eric

You have a rather unique manner of asking for favors.

I don't care for childish cat fights, but here goes;

To this point I have answered you with civility (and a dash of sarcasm), even after your asinine "purported grandfather" remark.

In response to you now, however, I'd like for you to show me a single word that I had posted to this thread (prior to your bitch session) that was not directly relevant to the original post.

Was it the single image of a Sherlock Holmes type 'detecting' that set you on a hissy fit?

Where did I write anything about the MS being "boring"?

Get off of your high horse. I do not have quality images of my MS' details and do not care to take fuzzy snapshots of it. I do not own a 'smart phone' to "hope on [sic]", some of my telephones have dials (I "hope" you have a competent editor for your purported magazine articles). I also do not work for you.

As to what gets your attention - whatever blows wind up your skirt.

Actually, having just had the MS in hand and examining under magnification (with aging eyes), I have noticed a couple of interesting things about it.

Somehow I don't feel inclined to share them with you just now.

Just for you:

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351317 - 11/03/21 02:47 PM

Quote:

Okay I took it apart for a closer look and pictures, ...there is a tiny circle V on the bottom of the barrel shank. In this context, I wonder if that is used as a provisional proof of sorts before being sold into the trade?

My M1910 MS TD also has the 'circle V' stamp low on barrel shank.

The British proofs are Birmingham.

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#351318 - 11/03/21 02:54 PM

Apologies Brian for my poor Grammar. I of course did mean hop and not "hope". ( Damm auto spell) Im sorry this has upset you so.

Smart Phones: Actually smart phones, even the older models take excellent pictures, all of my postings are with a phone. Also I never suggested you take fuzzy shots. I do now understand better why you don't post original photos as you dont have the equipment.

Irrelevant : Perfect example is above , something you've discovered on the internet??, which has no meaning or relevancy. What is that anyway?

Quote:

"For posting, photographs of my / his cased M1910 Take Down Model would look nearly identical to those of many others as it is rather typical".
Brian By implication you imply we would not find the rifle interesting. ( boring may have been a little over the top, I apologise). However you now say it has some newly discovered interesting features, pray do share with us when you feel inclined.
I would very much like to see the scope and mounting system, which by the way isn't shown in Grandads photo. He must have taken them off that day.

Sherlock Holmes: Is that who it was?, another picture not relevant. ( Thats at least two in this thread alone)
Editing: Nope , do my own with all original material.

Work for me: ?? Nor Sir , thats unlikely.

PS. Are we able to compare serial numbers ( at least) for our Model 1910?

Best
Eric

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351319 - 11/03/21 04:02 PM

Quote:

Apologies Brian for my poor Grammar. I of course did mean hop and not "hope". ( Damm auto spell) Im sorry this has upset you so.

Smart Phones: Actually smart phones, even the older models take excellent pictures, all of my postings are with a phone. Also I never suggested you take fuzzy shots. I do now understand better why you don't post original photos as you dont have the equipment.

Irrelevant : Perfect example is above , something you've discovered on the internet??, which has no meaning or relevancy. What is that anyway?

Quote:

"For posting, photographs of my / his cased M1910 Take Down Model would look nearly identical to those of many others as it is rather typical".
Brian By implication you imply we would not find the rifle interesting. ( boring may have been a little over the top, I apologise). However you now say it has some newly discovered interesting features, pray do share with us when you feel inclined.
I would very much like to see the scope and mounting system, which by the way isn't shown in Grandads photo. He must have taken them off that day.

Sherlock Holmes: Is that who it was?, another picture not relevant. ( Thats at least two in this thread alone)
Editing: Nope , do my own with all original material.

Work for me: ?? Nor Sir , thats unlikely.

PS. Are we able to compare serial numbers ( at least) for our Model 1910?

Best
Eric

Have you lost your mind or are you just drunk?

Your above post is rambling gibberish peppered with senseless whining.

Could you not decipher the serial number from this cleverly coded post?:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Thanks Brian

The Take Down rifles may or may not have their own serial number range, I don't know.

My M1910 'factory' Take Down Model bears the serial number 7162 and a Vienna proof number of 1571.22.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#351320 - 11/03/21 04:16 PM

Brian, think you had better take a pill and have a lie down old mate.
My apologies, no I didnt see the number, but thank you.
I think we will leave it there before you burst something.

All the best

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351321 - 11/03/21 04:19 PM

Quote:

All the best

Back at ya, you sanctimonious twit.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#351322 - 11/03/21 10:19 PM

There were two kinds of Mannlicher – Schoenauer takedowns once available in the UK. First, the detachable stock type as offered as a factory option by the Steyr factory and described by Rothhammer and others.
On the other hand several British gunmakers converted M-Sch actions to a detachable barrel mode. Here is mine (again), a 1903 in .256 Gibbs aka 6.5x54. Built by George Gibbs, Bristol, on a 1905 dated military production action. Gibbs screwed the barrel hand tight into the receiver and locked it in place with an elongated front guard screw. For detaching the barrel you need a turnscrew (= a British screwdriver). Loosen the front guard screw several turns. Now barrel and foreend may be screwed off the action.

Other gunmakers like Fraser used an additional thumb screw in in the left side of the receiver ring to lock the barrel in place.
Westley – Richards advertised another, more elaborate design of a barrel take down M-Sch in their 1912 catalog. W-R altered the receiver ring extensively and brazed on a reinforced extension. Their barrel had two locking lugs just like the bolt, locking it into the receiver. After opening a latch on the foreend, the barrel could be pulled out of the action after giving it a quarter turn. Btw, this W-R patent takedown system is a twin, if not a plain copy, of the 1880 German patent held by Schmidt & Habermann, Suhl.

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #351325 - 12/03/21 12:28 AM

Kuduae, Thank you for sharing the photo of your fine looking rifle. Many of you may know that I am in the process of building a 1896 Steyr as a takedown, and have been documenting the project over on the DoubleGun forum. My intention is to have my rifle look very much like the one Kuduae has shared.
I would very much like to see more detailed pictures of your rifle. Especially, taken down with closeups of the attachment system.

On a slightly different note I see the differences between your rifle and the rifle pictured in the advertisement you also shared. The big one being your rifle requires the barrel to be full unscrewed from the action (I believe) while the one in the ad is the quarter turn lock system. Yours as you say is a model 1903, do you know what year your rifle was built? And do you have an aprox date for the advertisement you have shown?

If possible please share more pictures of your great rifle. Thanks!

Edited by LRF (12/03/21 12:31 AM)

kuduae
.400 member

Re: British Mannlichers [Re: LRF]
      #351334 - 12/03/21 03:53 AM

LRF,
reread my post. My Gibbs M-Sch m1903 is dated open on the receiver wall “Steyr 1905”. I guess Gibbs would have scrubbed off a receiver date if he had built a “new gun” on a receiver already several years old. As I wrote, that Westley – Richards ad is from their 1912 catalog. The drawing is from Schmidt & Habermann’s 1880 patent.
As I have that Zielvier scope mounted on the receiver, I have blocked the hand take down feature on my rifle in the Interest of accuracy. So I will not take it apart, if not absolutely necessary. Instead, here is a photo of a takedown Gibbs Mannlicher I once stole from this NE forum. Here you can see the full threaded barrel and the backed out front guard screw. His screw goes into a shallow hole or dimple in the barrel threads when the rifle is assembled. IMHO the weakest spot of Gibbs’ system as the screw cannot clamp the action to the stock wood and the barrel in the receiver ring at the same time. With a bit of wear or wood shrinking or swelling one of it’s functions will become loose, as it did on mine.

3DogMike
.400 member

#351336 - 12/03/21 04:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All the best

Back at ya, you sanctimonious twit.

He shoots....he SCORES!!!!!

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351338 - 12/03/21 04:53 AM

Quote:

There were two kinds of Mannlicher – Schoenauer takedowns once available in the UK. First, the detachable stock type as offered as a factory option by the Steyr factory and described by Rothhammer and others...

Great information.

I've a few questions for you, Axel:

Do you know (about) when the earliest Steyr built take down models were produced?

Did Steyr ever produce the Take Down in M1924 or later models?

What are the earliest / latest proof dates known to you of Steyr built take downs?

Also - have you ever seen a stamping (on a 1920s MS) of what appear to be two small daggers crossed beneath a circle?

I like the sling on your M1903 Gibbs (and, of course, the Gibbs itself).

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #351344 - 12/03/21 07:41 AM

Quote:

LRF,
.... Here you can see the full threaded barrel and the backed out front guard screw. His screw goes into a shallow hole or dimple in the barrel threads when the rifle is assembled. IMHO the weakest spot of Gibbs’ system as the screw cannot clamp the action to the stock wood and the barrel in the receiver ring at the same time. With a bit of wear or wood shrinking or swelling one of it’s functions will become loose, as it did on mine....

First thanks for getting back to me. I agree with your comments above concerning the front receiver screw arrangement. I am considering 2 possible solutions for this. 1. Use a screw within a screw for the front guard. The outer screw would hold the receiver while the inner screw which is threaded thru the middle of the outer screw would be used to pin the barrel. or 2. leave the guard screws as they are and place a barrel screw thru the left side of the receive as I have seen on other rifles.

kuduae
.400 member

Re: British Mannlichers [Re: LRF]
      #351347 - 12/03/21 09:17 AM

LRE, I would opt for a sideways screw like the one on this Mannlicher by Fraser, see
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=321696&an=0&page=3#Post321696

paradox_
.375 member

#351357 - 12/03/21 03:42 PM

Do you know (about) when the earliest Steyr built take down models were produced?

Did Steyr ever produce the Take Down in M1924 or later models?

What are the earliest / latest proof dates known to you of Steyr built take downs?

Brian

Yes they did make a 1924 take down, please see upcoming thread for "British Sequoia Mannlicher" ( taking photos now)
Yes they did make a 1925 takedown, please see link to my previous post below. Im personally not aware of any examples later than 1925.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=316312&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

The earliest takedown example Im aware of ( not dated) is this one of my Model 1900 . This example is most likely a lead into the 1903.Please link to my previous post below.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=318008&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351374 - 13/03/21 03:47 AM

Quote:

Yes they did make a 1924 take down, please see upcoming thread for "British Sequoia Mannlicher" ...
Yes they did make a 1925 takedown, please see link to my previous post below. Im personally not aware of any examples later than 1925...

The earliest takedown example Im aware of ( not dated) is this one of my Model 1900 . This example is most likely a lead into the 1903.Please link to my previous post below.

Thank you. Great info.

The 1938 proof on your '25 makes it just one side or the other of the Anchluss.
Is it German proofed as well as Austrian?

The 'Made in Austria' stamp on your 'M1925' barrel is interesting.
I have seen images of a few like it.

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#351378 - 13/03/21 10:50 AM

The 1925 appears to have just escaped the German marks, instead proudly marked " Made in Austria"

--------------------

themauserkid
.275 member

#351389 - 15/03/21 07:39 AM

Interestingly the Gibbs example in one of those threads has the same trigger guard numbering I saw on my friend’s action, I’ll have to go back and look at it.

I still need to find a photo host when I have a moment as I took some pictures.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#351430 - 16/03/21 06:44 AM

Quote:

Interestingly the Gibbs example in one of those threads has the same trigger guard numbering I saw on my friend’s action, I’ll have to go back and look at it.

I still need to find a photo host when I have a moment as I took some pictures.

This works and costs nothing:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=321070&an=0&page=0#Post321070

--------------------

themauserkid
.275 member

#351437 - 16/03/21 02:07 PM

Hopefully this works, here are some pictures:

I did just as the instructions stated but they didn’t upload. I’m trying from a phone, not a computer so I’m not sure.

Edited by themauserkid (17/03/21 05:07 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6196

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com